Friday 20th September 2019

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 20, 2019, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1 of 15 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Friday 20th September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kelty Hearts 0 Auchinleck Talbot 3 (HT 0-2)
Scottish Cup, First Round
Admission £10
Programme £2 (32pp)
Attendance 1,633 (announced, circa 500 with the visitors)
Didn’t bother investigating refreshments

A cruise for Auchinleck, who outplayed from start to finish a very poor Kelty side. Goals in the 21st, 44th and 49th minutes saw the Ayrshire men into round two. Kelty, whose disappointed fans began streaming out of New Central Park 15 minutes after the break, can’t have any complaints. They were second best in every department. Kelty played nice, tippy-tappy football in their own half but further forward hadn’t a clue. The accuracy of their passing, particularly frequent long balls, was woeful. Not sure what this says about the standard of the Lowland League, in which Kelty are second. Is it really that bad? Auchinleck, solid at the back, dangerous on the break and competent in front of goal, looked a very decent team. At least the visitors provided something for neutrals at the ground and BBC Scotland viewers to savour.

About six years ago, while up in Fife, I poked my nose into Kelty’s ground on a non-matchday. It’s since changed beyond recognition, with the addition of three stands (one all-seater) and a plastic pitch. This unappealing former pit village, as glamorous as Featherstone, albeit with more hair salons, came as quite a shock after a scenic, 75-minute run from Angus. Turn left at the M90’s junction four, and everything changes. Beyond the football ground, and the dreary crossroads in the village centre, umpteen smart new houses have gone up. Makes for an incongruous mixture.

I’m hoping tomorrow’s Fraserburgh-Bonnyrigg tie, ostensibly another clash of non-league heavyweights, is more of a contest than this lame spectacle.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 20, 2019, 10:51 PM)

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2019, 10:48 PM

Post #2 of 15 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AMMANFORD 2 CAERAU ELY 1

@ Manor Road
Attendance : About 550

It's Ammanford; It's Friday night; It's the Lee Trundle show.
I really don't know how he does it. Won a penalty in the first half which someone else insisted on taking - and blazed the ball over the bar. Caerau went down to ten men then scored a breakaway goal.
The second half was all Ammanford attacking. The visitors held out until the 75th minute when Trundle squeezed the ball into the bottom right corner of the net. Caerau time wasted and paid for it in the sixth minute of added time when Trundle swivelled on the ball and fired home. A few seconds later the referee blew for full time.
I worked out that of the extra 300 or so spectators it would only need to entrance fee of 65 of them to pay Trundle's match fee. Probably worth it.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 20, 2019, 10:55 PM

Post #3 of 15 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Schalke 04 2-1 1.FSV Mainz 05
German Bundesliga
Attendance: 58,687
Admission: EUR 26
Prog: Didn't see any

I spent a few pleasant hours in Venlo before heading towards this one although I had no idea I'd crossed the border into Germany until I saw 'Ausfahrt' at the motorway exit.

No problems getting tickets - I booked early and they were sent through the post. As it turned out tickets were still available in the days leading up to the game and a few hundred seats in a single block remained unoccupied, although there were fans outside the ground who appeared to be seeking tickets.

The match ticket also covers travel on the local VRR transport system. I was staying in a former farmhouse in Buer, north of Veltins-Arena, so I didn't get to experience the delights of downtown Gelsenkirchen, but Buer was pleasant enough and there were football-specific trams leaving Buer Rathaus every couple of minutes.

Veltins-Arena is, as the name suggests, an arena. It's large, comfortable and structurally impressive, but it's still an arena and probably looks like most other arenas built in the last 15 years. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure there was terracing on the lower tier of the Nordkurve and I liked that the first row of seats around the rest of the ground was quite close to the pitch & also raised above pitch level. On the downside, even though the retractable roof was open, the whole roof area was sufficiently enclosed enough to ensure that the disgusting output of smokers outstayed its welcome.

As you'd expect, there were loads of food, drink & souvenir stalls around the stadium, although I couldn't find a superstore-style shop. Once inside the actual arena you need a club payment card but tbh for most items you could just as easily step outside to a stall in the external concourse to pay by cash or credit card.

As for the match, it was scrappy. Schalke won it with a beautiful but late goal, a curling shot scored with the outside of the foot, and the win takes them temporarily up to second. However, they looked far from that standard and the fans were frequently exasperated with their play. The place erupted after the winning goal but had been a bit subdued prior to that, probably reflecting what was happening on the pitch. No problems making a sharp exit after the game - trams were lining up to take fans back to Gelsenkirchen and Buer, meaning I was safely tucked-up in bed 40 minutes after the final whistle.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2019, 11:21 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Goytre 1 Chepstow Town 0

Plough Road: Welsh League Cup Second Round

This was my first visit of the campaign to Plough Road, which has become something of a regular hunting ground in recent seasons, since the installation of floodlights at the ground to meet the FAW’s licensing criteria for tier two of the domestic pyramid. Despite initially meeting the criteria to participate in the former Welsh League first Division last term, which also required the installation of two stands that complied with the minimum 250 seats regulation, Goytre suffered a disappointing campaign on the pitch and were relegated from the second tier following a six-season stay at that level. The Plough Road club find themselves playing in the re-named Welsh League First Division, which is at the third tier of Welsh football, following the introduction of the Cymru North and Cymru South at the level directly above this in the pyramid. Goytre has made a sound start to the current campaign as they held an unbeaten record following their opening four league fixtures. The north Monmouthshire club found themselves in third position in the First Division table following a 2-0 home victory over Garden Village in their last outing two weeks ago. Chepstow Town ply their trade in the Welsh League’s Second Division but have made a good start to the campaign after find themselves in third place in the early league table. The Larkfield Park club came into this evening’s cup tie in third position after having enjoyed a narrow 1-0 home victory over Pontyclun last weekend. Goytre required penalties to overcome Garden Village in the opening round of the League Cup and their visitors defeated Second Division rivals Newport City 2-1.

The Second Division visitors made a strong start to proceedings this evening and created a number of goal scoring opportunities in the opening stages. Chepstow Town headed wide from a eighth minute cross into the penalty area before the hosts responded a couple of minutes later when they fired narrowly wife from the edge of the penalty area after the visiting defence could only partially clear the ball. Chepstow Town broke swiftly down the left flank in their next attack but shot wide of goal from the cross into the danger area before the Goytre goalkeeper was called into action when his pushed a hanging 16th minute free-kick on to the woodwork and saw the subsequent shot cleared off the line before the Larkfield Park out pulled a shot wide of the target just a minute later. Goytre went close themselves in the 24th minute from a low 25 yard free-kick before Dan MacDonald chested the ball down 17 minutes later and fired the ball over the crossbar. The hosts broke the deadlock in stoppage time when a low cross from the right edge of the penalty area was dummied and Lewis Sommers was on hand to squeeze the ball through the legs of the visitor's custodian. Goytre saw a 25 yard half-volley saved five minutes after the interval before Dan MacDonald sliced wide of the target from the edge of the Chepstow Town penalty area in the 55th minute. The Plough Road outfit possibly should have netted a second goal inn the 62nd minute but saw a header from a corner cleared off the line and then fired a shot over the crossbar from the subsequent corner. ChepstownTown displayed signs of improvement in the closing stages of this cup tie as they searched for an equaliser to send this tie into extra-time. The Goytre goalkeeper made a smart full-length save in eh 87th minute to preserve his charges; advantage and ensure progress in the competition.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 301
Matches: 59
New Grounds: 13

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2019, 11:35 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #5 of 15 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

+1 at Plough Road and a pleasant eveing well summed up above. A gem of a ground on a peaceful autumn evening with BBQ smoke wafting over the proceedings. £6 in and paper available - I estimated a crowd of about 50 and a fiar few away fans too.
Hale and hearty contest as is much Welsh football at this level but a good evening's entertainment and home for me in 70.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 66 Goals: 271 GPG: 4.11 New Grounds: 38

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 21, 2019, 6:56 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #6 of 15 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

USL National @ Dignity Health Sports Park Track and Field Stadium. Admission $12. No team sheet. Crowd 990 Official.

LA Galaxy II 1 v 1 San Antonio

As the name suggests this was an athletics stadium with bleachers stands on both sides. The main stand very tall and housed the vast majority of the crowd. Finding the way in was the first problem, having followed the satnav into a private road. I opted for the main LA Galaxy entrance and stopped at a man gesturing to me, no idea what he was trying to tell me.

Followed his instructions and was told stewards would show me where to park. Ended up right by the entrance where there was obviously nowhere to park. Having passed several gormless stewards on the way in I managed to get one of them to remove his nose from his phone and tell me where to park. He pointed to an unmarked turning and I headed down there to the car park, passing another zombie in uniform staring at his phone.

Not impressed with the stewards but the game was fine, a curling shot into the top corner on 7 minutes gave Galaxy the lead and a slick passing move and finish level matters 2 minutes later. On 24 minutes, bang, all the lights went out, 15 minute delay saw most of them come back on.

The second half was not quite as good and the sending off of a visiting player on 58 minutes rather ruined the game as it often does. That said both sides continued to create chances and pick up yellow cards. Fair result with San Antonio the better side.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 21, 2019, 7:42 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 15 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

USL National. ?

Not a 'Los Dos' Western Conference game ?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Great way to start to his professional career for LA Reserves goalscorer for Jorge Hernandez , only signed pro day before for the Reserves.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Sep 21, 2019, 7:45 AM)

prorege

Sep 21, 2019, 9:18 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #8 of 15 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Cup Round One (7.05ko)
Kelty Hearts v Auchinleck Talbot, 0-3, H.T. 0-2, Att 1633 (390 away), Admission £10, Programme £2, Refreshments available
At New Central Park, Kelty

Having seen Kelty numerous times over the past two seasons I hoped that Barry Ferguson would send his team out to play their normal game against Auchinleck. His new, more adventurous approach has paid dividends on numerous occasions including the recent 1-1 draw with full-time National league side Solihull Moors.

Disappointingly, Ferguson chose to change his tactics and afforded Auchinleck far too much respect. His defence and midfield sat deep rather than adopting their normal pressing style and it allowed Auchinleck to control the vital midfield area. Kelty also went for a zonal marking policy when defending set pieces rather than their usual of going man for man and it proved catastrophic.

I think Ferguson is guilty of over-thinking at times – against a good team such as Solihull or Auchinleck the best policy is to push forward – and I hope he realises and regrets his tactical miscalculation.

Talbot led 2-0 at half time thanks to two defensive howlers. Firstly a Talbot player was able to loop a header into the net unchallenged from 15 yards and they added a second due to poor decision making at the back. Talbot’s finishing was clinical. It had only been in the first 20 minutes that Kelty posed much of a threat but even then clearcut chances were few and far between.

0-2 at half time, the next goal was going to be vital. The circumstances in which Talbot were allowed several touches unchallenged in the box before a crisp finish should give the Kelty management nightmares. After that Auchinleck were largely content to protect their lead. However, when they did break they looked dangerous and they could easily have added a fourth. Kelty came close on a couple of occasions with one particularly fine save from the Auchinleck goalkeeper. In the end Kelty could have no complaints about the outcome - they simply could not afford to be below par when playing a team as good as Auchinleck.

Kelty’s main priority this season in the Lowland League and fulfilling their aim for promotion to the SPFL. They’ll be back in the Scottish Cup next year, unlike Auchinleck who will have to qualify. The horizons and ambitions for the two teams are quite different. Kelty have already progressed two rungs up the ladder and want to make the next step with Cup football as a bonus. Auchinleck seem happy in their own league with Cup wins and trophy count a priority for them. Each to their own. I expect they will get to Round Four at least. Their team-sheet violation from the First Preliminary Round will be dealt with when they exit the Cup once it is known how much sponsorship money they have gained – expect them to get a whopping fine at that point.

The progress made by Kelty over the past four years is incredible. They have increased their core support by a factor of four. They are running kids teams at every age group up to U20, women’s and girls teams and a Saturday Amateur side. They have transformed a ramshackle ground into one more than capable of hosting SPFL football with a top quality artificial pitch and superb floodlights. A new Community Building is on the way as well.

Progress in the Scottish Cup would have been welcome but it would always have been secondary to the longer-term aims of the club, so disappointment at the result must be tempered by a look at the bigger picture.

The ground coped well with a crowd of nearly 1700. Segregation was in place with the visiting fans (390 in total, very decent for a Friday night) at the north end. The atmosphere was a bit strange – Kelty have so many new fans that they don’t really create a great atmosphere. That takes time and the encouraging thing from their perspective was the large number of kids and teenagers in the crowd including a junior ultras section who had a whale of a time despite the result. Talbot’s support is more mature in years and used to big occasions and they gave their side good backing.

There seemed to be plenty of programmes. Kelty had been caught out by printing too many against Solihull and they cut it back for this game but still seemed to have more than enough to meet demand.

Home fans had the usual catering options and a burger van was in place for the away section. I didn’t bother having had the Buffet in the Shimla Palace next to central Park, Cowdenbeath, pre-match. Wonderful value, it is £22.95 for a fantastic three-course buffet including five pints of Cobra or any five drinks, plus unlimited tea and coffee. The cost is reduced by £1.50 for each drink you don’t have. Ten different starters of which the Haggis Pakora was the best and twelve curries – the Garlic Chilli Chicken and Lamb Masala being especially fine. Pudding of gateau, fruit sald, lychees and lime jelly. No wonder the place was busy and I didn’t feel the need of a pie.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 21, 2019, 4:24 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #9 of 15 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
USL National. ?

Not a 'Los Dos' Western Conference game ?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Great way to start to his professional career for LA Reserves goalscorer for Jorge Hernandez , only signed pro day before for the Reserves.

--------------------------------------

It was an excellent strike, we will see if he progresses, certainly has some talent.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 21, 2019, 10:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #10 of 15 (992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League
Southampton 1-3 AFC Bournemouth
Attendance 30,168
Ticket £30 - Programme £4

Cherries first ever win at Southampton and first time we have been able to celebrate in the city since triumphing over 2 legs in the 2nd round of the League Cup in September 1987, a 2-2 draw at the old Dell enough to see us through following a 1-0 1st leg home win. Nathan Ake headed in from a corner to give Cherries a 10th minute lead, VAR prevented Callum Wilson doubling the lead soon after, offside by the slightest of margins after being put through by Dominic Solanke, who could have shot himself but perhaps suffering a lack of confidence in front of goal as he is yet to get off the mark for Cherries in a competitive game. Cherries were finally able to double their lead on the half hour with a great move down the left finished off in the box by Harry Wilson. Early in the second half, Saints were awarded a penalty not looked at by VAR and James Ward Prowse converted. The goal brought the home crowd to life and suddenly Saints looked threatening and it was all hands to the pump for Cherries defence to survive. On a rare foray up front Josh King was pushed down in the box, but after VAR no penalty was given. Cherries had to defend heroically to hold on for the win and in injury time a mix up in the Saints defence saw Callum Wilson find himself with an open goal to shoot and seal a memorably victory for Cherries.

auchinleckian
Youth Team Star

Sep 22, 2019, 1:47 PM

Team(s): Auchinleck Talbot; Grimsby Town; Wales (rugby and football)

Post #11 of 15 (763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Kelty Hearts v Auchinleck Talbot, 0-3, H.T. 0-2, Att 1633 (390 away), Admission £10, Programme £2, Refreshments available

Having seen Kelty numerous times over the past two seasons I hoped that Barry Ferguson would send his team out to play their normal game against Auchinleck. His new, more adventurous approach has paid dividends on numerous occasions including the recent 1-1 draw with full-time National league side Solihull Moors.

Disappointingly, Ferguson chose to change his tactics and afforded Auchinleck far too much respect. His defence and midfield sat deep rather than adopting their normal pressing style and it allowed Auchinleck to control the vital midfield area. Kelty also went for a zonal marking policy when defending set pieces rather than their usual of going man for man and it proved catastrophic.

I think Ferguson is guilty of over-thinking at times – against a good team such as Solihull or Auchinleck the best policy is to push forward – and I hope he realises and regrets his tactical miscalculation.

Talbot led 2-0 at half time thanks to two defensive howlers. Firstly a Talbot player was able to loop a header into the net unchallenged from 15 yards and they added a second due to poor decision making at the back. Talbot’s finishing was clinical. It had only been in the first 20 minutes that Kelty posed much of a threat but even then clearcut chances were few and far between.

0-2 at half time, the next goal was going to be vital. The circumstances in which Talbot were allowed several touches unchallenged in the box before a crisp finish should give the Kelty management nightmares. After that Auchinleck were largely content to protect their lead. However, when they did break they looked dangerous and they could easily have added a fourth. Kelty came close on a couple of occasions with one particularly fine save from the Auchinleck goalkeeper. In the end Kelty could have no complaints about the outcome - they simply could not afford to be below par when playing a team as good as Auchinleck.

Kelty’s main priority this season in the Lowland League and fulfilling their aim for promotion to the SPFL. They’ll be back in the Scottish Cup next year, unlike Auchinleck who will have to qualify. The horizons and ambitions for the two teams are quite different. Kelty have already progressed two rungs up the ladder and want to make the next step with Cup football as a bonus. Auchinleck seem happy in their own league with Cup wins and trophy count a priority for them. Each to their own. I expect they will get to Round Four at least. Their team-sheet violation from the First Preliminary Round will be dealt with when they exit the Cup once it is known how much sponsorship money they have gained – expect them to get a whopping fine at that point.

The progress made by Kelty over the past four years is incredible. They have increased their core support by a factor of four. They are running kids teams at every age group up to U20, women’s and girls teams and a Saturday Amateur side. They have transformed a ramshackle ground into one more than capable of hosting SPFL football with a top quality artificial pitch and superb floodlights. A new Community Building is on the way as well.

Progress in the Scottish Cup would have been welcome but it would always have been secondary to the longer-term aims of the club, so disappointment at the result must be tempered by a look at the bigger picture.

The ground coped well with a crowd of nearly 1700. Segregation was in place with the visiting fans (390 in total, very decent for a Friday night) at the north end. The atmosphere was a bit strange – Kelty have so many new fans that they don’t really create a great atmosphere. That takes time and the encouraging thing from their perspective was the large number of kids and teenagers in the crowd including a junior ultras section who had a whale of a time despite the result. Talbot’s support is more mature in years and used to big occasions and they gave their side good backing.

There seemed to be plenty of programmes. Kelty had been caught out by printing too many against Solihull and they cut it back for this game but still seemed to have more than enough to meet demand.

Home fans had the usual catering options and a burger van was in place for the away section. I didn’t bother having had the Buffet in the Shimla Palace next to central Park, Cowdenbeath, pre-match. Wonderful value, it is £22.95 for a fantastic three-course buffet including five pints of Cobra or any five drinks, plus unlimited tea and coffee. The cost is reduced by £1.50 for each drink you don’t have. Ten different starters of which the Haggis Pakora was the best and twelve curries – the Garlic Chilli Chicken and Lamb Masala being especially fine. Pudding of gateau, fruit sald, lychees and lime jelly. No wonder the place was busy and I didn’t feel the need of a pie.

You let your anti all things Ayrshire Junior fitba out of the bag again. You compare unlike with like. Kelty are being bankrolled by a multi millionaire who views the opportunity to grab cheap publicity and bask in any reflected glory as a tax deductible worthwhile. If they want to try and reach the SFL then fine, but how many times before have we seen such tales fall flat when the big money man pulls out. Paying Freguson's wages, and some of Kelty's players like Austin and Scobbie is not sustainable long term.

You say Auchinleck are content to stay where they are because they are successful at what they do. You forget it's also a sustainable game. Our furthest away opponents are 50 miles away apart from our various cup jaunts. That's why we have a decent travelling support everywhere we go - something that the vast majority of SFL can never hope to match. Scottish football as a whole is not just about how successful some non league can become if they want to go down that route, it's about having a thriving non league scene as well. The Lowland League is most definitely not that. Any aspirational such league should have automatic promotion to the SFL, and not have to go through the whole play off lottery.

I'll stick with what we've got. Certainly the best level of football anywhere in Scotland - there's nowhere to touch the Western Super League for consistently good teams. Friday night showed the gulf that exists between the two leagues, and it's a nonsense it's being held up as the benchmark for non league football in Scotland.

You claim Talbot will not be back in the Scottish Cup next year "because we have to qualify" I put that down to the amount of food you undoubtedly gorged in the Indian buffet giving you far too much wind.
Wink

prorege

Sep 22, 2019, 2:31 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #12 of 15 (749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auchinleckian] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You let your anti all things Ayrshire Junior fitba out of the bag again. You compare unlike with like. Kelty are being bankrolled by a multi millionaire who views the opportunity to grab cheap publicity and bask in any reflected glory as a tax deductible worthwhile. If they want to try and reach the SFL then fine, but how many times before have we seen such tales fall flat when the big money man pulls out. Paying Freguson's wages, and some of Kelty's players like Austin and Scobbie is not sustainable long term.

You say Auchinleck are content to stay where they are because they are successful at what they do. You forget it's also a sustainable game. Our furthest away opponents are 50 miles away apart from our various cup jaunts. That's why we have a decent travelling support everywhere we go - something that the vast majority of SFL can never hope to match. Scottish football as a whole is not just about how successful some non league can become if they want to go down that route, it's about having a thriving non league scene as well. The Lowland League is most definitely not that. Any aspirational such league should have automatic promotion to the SFL, and not have to go through the whole play off lottery.

I'll stick with what we've got. Certainly the best level of football anywhere in Scotland - there's nowhere to touch the Western Super League for consistently good teams. Friday night showed the gulf that exists between the two leagues, and it's a nonsense it's being held up as the benchmark for non league football in Scotland.

You claim Talbot will not be back in the Scottish Cup next year "because we have to qualify" I put that down to the amount of food you undoubtedly gorged in the Indian buffet giving you far too much wind.
Wink

Dean is certainly not a multi-millionaire. Where do you get that nonsense from? He runs a successful business and employs quite a few Kelty players on a full-time basis. These were guys dropping out of full time football for whom a reasonably well-paid job and the opportunity to continue playing football was attractive. The football club also have several lucrative revenue streams which help pay their costs. What is your evidence that he is in it for "the opportunity to grab cheap publicity and bask in any reflected glory as a tax deductible worthwhile"?

I cannot actually see any anti-Ayrshire bias in my report. I was careful to avoid any such thing. My comments about Ayrshire are all just a wind-up anyway, to see if I can hook anyone. My comment on participation next year could be more clearly worded. For clarity, Kelty are in already, Auchinleck will have to qualify. I expect them to do so.

My fear for the Juniors is the Auchinleck's dominance is self-defeating. It's odds on that they will win the Junior Cup and the Super League again, and the West League Cup is a gimme especially given that they have home advantage over Lanark in the Final. I know of supporters and members at other West clubs who would relish a West of Scotland Senior League, with or without Talbot, as it would open up competition and provide the opportunity to become licensed clubs, with the benefits that brings. If Talbot were to join such a League then they'd quickly get promoted to a more suitable level; If they chose to sit out then a West Senior League would be very open from the outset.

Lowland League 2, when it comes, may pre-empt some of this. Envisage a 16 team league, made up of the top 8 from the East of Scotland Premier Division, and 8 from the West. If the West Juniors signed up to the pyramid it would be the top 8 from the West Premiership. If not, then it would be open to applications and there would be no problem finding eight worthy applicants, who are becoming disenchanted with Talbot's dominance and the glass-ceiling of the Juniors.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 22, 2019, 2:54 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #13 of 15 (734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auchinleckian] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wink

The SFL was wound up in 2013 for what's it's worth.

Not a great lover of Kelty but the "Money Man" keeps out of the public eye and lets other club officials speak to the media etc so he is hardly hogging the cheap publicity and as also mentioned several of the former full timers now have jobs with his company which seems reasonable enough to me.

auchinleckian
Youth Team Star

Sep 22, 2019, 4:00 PM

Team(s): Auchinleck Talbot; Grimsby Town; Wales (rugby and football)

Post #14 of 15 (683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 20th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wink

Dean is certainly not a multi-millionaire. Where do you get that nonsense from? He runs a successful business and employs quite a few Kelty players on a full-time basis. These were guys dropping out of full time football for whom a reasonably well-paid job and the opportunity to continue playing football was attractive. The football club also have several lucrative revenue streams which help pay their costs. What is your evidence that he is in it for "the opportunity to grab cheap publicity and bask in any reflected glory as a tax deductible worthwhile"?

I cannot actually see any anti-Ayrshire bias in my report. I was careful to avoid any such thing. My comments about Ayrshire are all just a wind-up anyway, to see if I can hook anyone. My comment on participation next year could be more clearly worded. For clarity, Kelty are in already, Auchinleck will have to qualify. I expect them to do so.

My fear for the Juniors is the Auchinleck's dominance is self-defeating. It's odds on that they will win the Junior Cup and the Super League again, and the West League Cup is a gimme especially given that they have home advantage over Lanark in the Final. I know of supporters and members at other West clubs who would relish a West of Scotland Senior League, with or without Talbot, as it would open up competition and provide the opportunity to become licensed clubs, with the benefits that brings. If Talbot were to join such a League then they'd quickly get promoted to a more suitable level; If they chose to sit out then a West Senior League would be very open from the outset.

Lowland League 2, when it comes, may pre-empt some of this. Envisage a 16 team league, made up of the top 8 from the East of Scotland Premier Division, and 8 from the West. If the West Juniors signed up to the pyramid it would be the top 8 from the West Premiership. If not, then it would be open to applications and there would be no problem finding eight worthy applicants, who are becoming disenchanted with Talbot's dominance and the glass-ceiling of the Juniors.

What position does Barry Ferguson hold in this philanthropic company, or is he a "regular" full time employee on regular Scottish non league wages? Aye right.

Re anti Ayrshire rant. Why do it? It does you no favours apart from trying to make yourself look clever. Is that what debate on Scottish non league football has descended into nowadays? Enjoy your pakora.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2019, 1:55 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #15 of 15 (405 views)
Shortcut

SC Kriens 1-2 Grasshopper Zurich
Swiss Challenge League (level 2)

15 CHuFfs standing (seats sold out).
Bratwurst 6 CHuFfs.
Prog free.

Suburban Luzern. Only just come up from level 3 vs the big boys shamefully dropping from the top flight. Biggest match for years. Moved to the Friday night for telly. One of the then level 2 clubs I still had left to do when my time living in Italy came to an end, but have since moved to a new ground anyway. We had heard that the stand had sold out, so needed to be here for 3pm opening of the ticket office to secure terrace tickets. Arrived even earlier just in case and sweet-talked the club sporting director in my best schoolboy German, but no chance for this many of us - come back at 3pm.

Down to the tourist-attraction wooden bridge, that 'just happens' to be overlooked by the Rathaus brewpub. Smallest-sized ticks of the two that were on at their prices and again went hungry - £18 for a bratwurst anybody?

Back up to the ground and tickets secured at 3:01pm then used up the time before the evening KO by blagging our way into Luzern's ground for a nose around. Another swanky new thing since my day, and moved across the road not just a revamp around the same pitch, so will need to be returned to some time.

Many in the Kriens end were evidently attending their first ever game. Blocking views, filming everything on their smartphones, and putting their kids' legs through the top rail - a sure fire way to have broken legs if hit by a ball at full blast. No stewarding of course, including feeble PA announcements to the away fans to please not set off flares, bounce on the portakabin roofs, or sit atop fences orchestrating chants. All after the event.

Shame the has-beens snatched an away win.

Post-match, up to digs in Zurich, too far out to attempt either brewpub.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3