Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Old Spotted Dog

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 30, 2019, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #101 of 109 (4558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not sure but I recall reading something along the lines that an official grading lasts for three(?) years. Question also is whether these "surveyors" are official ground graders or some other party.

New Forest
Youth Team Sub

Oct 30, 2019, 4:15 PM

Team(s): Leyton then Waltham Forest now Walthamstow

Post #102 of 109 (4430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It really isn't difficult. Six teams can share Oaklands Park on Saturdays - two each in slots at 1.00, 3.15 and 5.30.

Which Oaklands Park ground do you mean - Chichester City? If so please say so Wadham Lodge, home of Walthamstow FC and Clapton CFC, can easily cope with three games on at the sametime plus a number of other junior game. Although the car park can get a little bit full at times. I went to Harefield a few Saturdays ago. The home team players had parked at the ground and gone off to a away match, Broadfields United were at home and there was a junior game on. So no parking left. So there are other things to consider. What about the local residents!

There is a good argument for one club per ground. No ground then disband. Some years ago we had the saga of Ilford/Leytonstone/Walthamstow Avenue all ending up at Dagenham. Sell your ground share with someone else and have money to buy success. Is that fair? I don't think so.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 30, 2019, 4:21 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #103 of 109 (4413 views)
Shortcut
Re: [New Forest] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
It really isn't difficult. Six teams can share Oaklands Park on Saturdays - two each in slots at 1.00, 3.15 and 5.30.

Which Oaklands Park ground do you mean - Chichester City? If so please say so Wadham Lodge, home of Walthamstow FC and Clapton CFC, can easily cope with three games on at the sametime plus a number of other junior game. Although the car park can get a little bit full at times. I went to Harefield a few Saturdays ago. The home team players had parked at the ground and gone off to a away match, Broadfields United were at home and there was a junior game on. So no parking left. So there are other things to consider. What about the local residents!

There is a good argument for one club per ground. No ground then disband. Some years ago we had the saga of Ilford/Leytonstone/Walthamstow Avenue all ending up at Dagenham. Sell your ground share with someone else and have money to buy success. Is that fair? I don't think so.

No. I am talking about Oaklands Park in Almondsbury, the Gloucestershire FA ground. It provides a facility for local football clubs to use. I really can't see how anyone to object to that. It has a car park and there are no local residents. Nobody has sold a ground in order to play there.

marinersteve
Youth Team Regular

Oct 30, 2019, 4:55 PM

Team(s): South Shields

Post #104 of 109 (4364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be honest I was a bit shocked at the state of the ground - can't believe it has been fit and safe for many years,.

SandDancer in Exile

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Oct 31, 2019, 9:13 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #105 of 109 (3775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marinersteve] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Spotted Dog has not been suitable for a long time.
The last time I was there was to referee a youth game on a Sunday morning involving Clapton‘s U18 side. This was about 2001 and upon my arrival their manager apologised for the state of the place. The pitch was overgrown in parts but playable, just, there were no pegs to hold down the nets and the dressing rooms had no heating. Added to that the penalty areas were not 18 yards and the terracing etc was overgrown and festooned with rubble. Amazingly a first team game had taken place the previous day in the same circumstances and having spoken with both managers it was agreed we would play, the opposition having travelled a long way.
My report to Essex and London FA‘s re the state of the ground and facilitates was made. I am still waiting for a reply.

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Nov 6, 2019, 2:44 PM

Team(s): Hull City, Clapton

Post #106 of 109 (2693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm not sure but I recall reading something along the lines that an official grading lasts for three(?) years. Question also is whether these "surveyors" are official ground graders or some other party.

Sorry for not making clearer - it was a report by chartered surveyors using Step 6 grading as a benchmark. Not official ground graders.

Hull City / Clapton fan.

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Nov 9, 2019, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Hull City, Clapton

Post #107 of 109 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paul Cockerton] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For anyone following the Clapton saga, Vince McBean, the chief executive of Clapton FC, was banned from all football activity in October. It's unclear who is running the club now.

The suspension seems designed to encourage him to appear at an FA hearing to answer some serious charges, which he denies.

Would suggest we don't discuss this while it potentially works its way through the FA but thought it should be mentioned. It seems a very rare censure, particularly for grassroots football.

Hull City / Clapton fan.

Shambles
Youth Team Star

Nov 12, 2019, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #108 of 109 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paul Cockerton] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As of Thursday 14th November, Clapton will be groundsharing at Southend Manor.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2019, 8:47 AM

Post #109 of 109 (832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shambles] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As of Thursday 14th November, Clapton will be groundsharing at Southend Manor.

Southend Manor!?

That’s almost 40 miles away. Presumably all other local options were exhausted? Either way, the future looks pretty bleak for Clapton at present.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3