Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Old Spotted Dog

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 23, 2019, 3:34 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #76 of 90 (1778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paul Cockerton] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

If others prefer to trawl the internet looking for hashtags from third parties that they donít like, fair dos. I must have missed the memo that all football clubs are responsible for every tweet about them.

Don't be so obtuse. If they're the type of people latching onto your club then you don't need a memo to be conscious of the perceptions it helps create about your club. Whether or not you're the slightest bit bothered by those perceptions is a different matter.

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Prescot Cables

Post #77 of 90 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beyondtheborder] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Brigata Ultra' Clapton
2 hrs ∑
Yesterday we celebrated the latest news about a concrete possibility of a return to our spiritual home, the Old Spotted Dog in E7.
It's such an emotional thing for many of us that come from the experience of the Clapton Ultras, the solid boycott against the Mcbean regime and the last two seasons of exile from Forest Gate.
We can't wait to bring our noise back home and we're thankful to those that kept working behind the scenes to make this happen.

Unfortunately we didn't win the game yesterday but our love for the girls in Red and white is growing more and more!

ULTRAS ALWAYS WIN!

Call me naive if you like, but there's nothing in this text that I would find particularly troubling.

A bit of scrolling through the link did suggest that this particular group has a fairly clear standpoint on certain political issues; whether or not that should be 'front and centre' at a non-league game at any level is a different question and not one for me to answer. I can't stand the use of pyrotechnics at football but that's a matter for the club to deal with.

There's no suggestion that this group holds views which represent the official position of Clapton Community FC and I don't think any football club can and should be expected to tell fans what they can and cannot think; of course, offensive banners and / or chanting would need to be dealt with (as would pyro), but that is seperate to the discussion as to what is best for the future of the Old Spotted Dog.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 4:47 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #78 of 90 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paul Cockerton] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Iím not really sure what youíre trying to prove here.

That many Clapton CFC fans see this as a return home? Yes, many of us do. We would still have been going there each week, if the running of Clapton FC had gone in a different direction. Being as diplomatic as possible here.

Over the weekend, one of our players has won a Kick It Out honour, we entered two teams in a tournament to keep young people off the streets, the menís team gave Hilltop an uncontested goal in the most sporting gesture iíve witnessed, and we had 261 people turn up in the rain for a Womenís FA Cup. We were also featured on the Non-League Show, the Non-League Paper.

Deeds not words.

If others prefer to trawl the internet looking for hashtags from third parties that they donít like, fair dos. I must have missed the memo that all football clubs are responsible for every tweet about them.

Whilst having a player winning a kick it out award is commendable, in fact beyond commendable, as is the crowd for the womenís game, I canít really see why you are getting excited about being featured in the Non League Show or Non League Paper.
In addition, whilst allowing an uncontested goal is sporting, it is far from unique having happened previously at all levels.

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Sep 23, 2019, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Hull City, Clapton

Post #79 of 90 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As we are at Step 7 we donít often get a mention in the national non-league media. I know for most clubs itís nothing special but itís still a novelty for us.

We do however get weekly coverage in the Newham Recorder for our menís and womenís games, despite not playing in Newham yet. Also now the Waltham Forest Guardian are keen to cover us, where we are based.

We obviously got a lot of coverage, national and international, for our replica shirt sales last year. 13,000 were sold in two short windows. Iíd still prefer an article in the Non-League Paper though!

Hull City / Clapton fan.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #80 of 90 (1651 views)
Shortcut

ĎIíd still prefer an article in the Non-League Paper though! í

Each to their own. I just hope their coverage is better than their fixtures, results, League tables etc etc...!!

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Sep 23, 2019, 5:54 PM

Post #81 of 90 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now you mention it, there was a bit of a clanger in it but didnít dampen the enthusiasm too much.

Hull City / Clapton fan.

kirby knitters

Sep 23, 2019, 7:42 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #82 of 90 (1471 views)
Shortcut

A bit of a clanger? That's a bit of an understatement considering they got the name of the two clubs mixed up. Sly

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Sep 23, 2019, 8:33 PM

Post #83 of 90 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agreed. But itís an easy mistake to make though.

Hull City / Clapton fan.

steve walker
Administrator

Sep 23, 2019, 9:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #84 of 90 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Hello Paul... I don't live in the Clapton 'bubble' so thanks for your input to this forum it is much appreciated to make the rest of us understand.
What I would like to ask is... is there any chance of the two clubs merging next season to play in the ESL or above and playing at the OSD?

beyondtheborder
Junior Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 9:12 PM

Post #85 of 90 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Brigata Ultra' Clapton
2 hrs ∑
Yesterday we celebrated the latest news about a concrete possibility of a return to our spiritual home, the Old Spotted Dog in E7.
It's such an emotional thing for many of us that come from the experience of the Clapton Ultras, the solid boycott against the Mcbean regime and the last two seasons of exile from Forest Gate.
We can't wait to bring our noise back home and we're thankful to those that kept working behind the scenes to make this happen.

Unfortunately we didn't win the game yesterday but our love for the girls in Red and white is growing more and more!

ULTRAS ALWAYS WIN!

Call me naive if you like, but there's nothing in this text that I would find particularly troubling.

A bit of scrolling through the link did suggest that this particular group has a fairly clear standpoint on certain political issues; whether or not that should be 'front and centre' at a non-league game at any level is a different question and not one for me to answer. I can't stand the use of pyrotechnics at football but that's a matter for the club to deal with.

There's no suggestion that this group holds views which represent the official position of Clapton Community FC and I don't think any football club can and should be expected to tell fans what they can and cannot think; of course, offensive banners and / or chanting would need to be dealt with (as would pyro), but that is seperate to the discussion as to what is best for the future of the Old Spotted Dog.

The point is the above group are very central to Clapton CFC!

beyondtheborder
Junior Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 9:16 PM

Post #86 of 90 (1338 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
As we are at Step 7 we donít often get a mention in the national non-league media. I know for most clubs itís nothing special but itís still a novelty for us.

We do however get weekly coverage in the Newham Recorder for our menís and womenís games, despite not playing in Newham yet. Also now the Waltham Forest Guardian are keen to cover us, where we are based.

We obviously got a lot of coverage, national and international, for our replica shirt sales last year. 13,000 were sold in two short windows. Iíd still prefer an article in the Non-League Paper though!

Five years ago the Ultras having arrived in East London decided to follow any local team, they picked on Clapton FC and then after a few short months then put plans in place to take it over or destroy it ! Simple Truth. They are using football for their own political ends.

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Sep 23, 2019, 9:16 PM

Post #87 of 90 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hello Paul... I don't live in the Clapton 'bubble' so thanks for your input to this forum it is much appreciated to make the rest of us understand.
What I would like to ask is... is there any chance of the two clubs merging next season to play in the ESL or above and playing at the OSD?

My personal wish would be exactly that. A merger of the two clubs.

That is very much easier said than done but it would be the most pragmatic solution and the neatest way to tie this all up.

However, reading the mood on both sides, I think it's very unlikely.

Would add that my understanding is that the FA now make merged clubs start at the lowest rung. In this very hypothetical case, it would play in the Middlesex County Football League.

Hull City / Clapton fan.

paulh66

Sep 23, 2019, 9:46 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #88 of 90 (1295 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Would add that my understanding is that the FA now make merged clubs start at the lowest rung. In this very hypothetical case, it would play in the Middlesex County Football League.

Ordinarily so but the decision is at the absolute discretion of the FA committee.
A few exceptions to that norm that have been mentioned on here in the past - my guess is that the substance of these arrangements has leaned more towards a takeover than a genuine merger.

Paul Cockerton
Junior Team Regular

Sep 23, 2019, 10:20 PM

Post #89 of 90 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beyondtheborder] Old Spotted Dog [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That is your version. I would dispute a few bits:

1. It was 2012, not five years ago. My first game was 2013, so early-ish, but crowds were already up to 140 by then.

2. The Ultras began with a group of young East London friends who supported different big clubs, couldn't afford the tickets, and wanted to go to local football, affordable together and create some atmosphere
3. Hopefully you didn't mean anything negative when you described these multi-cultural friends as having 'arrived' in East London. Can assure you they were as local as a branch of Percy Ingle, if that is important

4. 'Picked on' is one way to describe committed football fans building up crowds from 20 to 500 plus, sponsoring the kit, handing over hundreds of thousands of pounds, promoting the club far and wide etc. We'll have to agree to disagree

5. I know it might be tempting to assume some grand plan, but there really wasn't. The Ultras wanted to just enjoy watching affordable football and plan new chants etc. It was all pretty much fine for four years.

6. I can assure you that splitting from Clapton FC and fielding a team as CCFC was one of the hardest decisions you could imagine. So very hard.

7. If we did have a grand plan, how on earth did we manage to persuade the owner to liquidate the ground charity, not pay the rent, default on the lease etc? It's just implausible

7. If the owner of Clapton FC hadn't liquidated the Old Spotted Dog charity, then there would have been no split and 500 plus people would still be going to Clapton FC

7. And of course if the club owner hadn't liquidated the Old Spotted Dog charity, then the club would still be playing in the Old Spotted Dog. If you're looking for a reason why we've ended up in this situation, that's it in a nutshell.

8. No matter how much history is attempted to be rewritten, the owner and the Clapton Ultras got on reasonably well until they took issue with his actions in 2016. For instance I had dozens of cordial conversations and phone calls with the owner trying to help the club.

9. Finally, the Clapton Ultras was disbanded in summer 2018. It genuinely feels like another lifetime ago and so weird to still to be going over it all.

In Reply To
Five years ago the Ultras having arrived in East London decided to follow any local team, they picked on Clapton FC and then after a few short months then put plans in place to take it over or destroy it ! Simple Truth. They are using football for their own political ends.

Hull City / Clapton fan.

beyondtheborder
Junior Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 10:31 PM

Post #90 of 90 (1240 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
That is your version. I would dispute a few bits:

1. It was 2012, not five years ago. My first game was 2013, so early-ish, but crowds were already up to 140 by then.

2. The Ultras began with a group of young East London friends who supported different big clubs, couldn't afford the tickets, and wanted to go to local football, affordable together and create some atmosphere
3. Hopefully you didn't mean anything negative when you described these multi-cultural friends as having 'arrived' in East London. Can assure you they were as local as a branch of Percy Ingle, if that is important

4. 'Picked on' is one way to describe committed football fans building up crowds from 20 to 500 plus, sponsoring the kit, handing over hundreds of thousands of pounds, promoting the club far and wide etc. We'll have to agree to disagree

5. I know it might be tempting to assume some grand plan, but there really wasn't. The Ultras wanted to just enjoy watching affordable football and plan new chants etc. It was all pretty much fine for four years.

6. I can assure you that splitting from Clapton FC and fielding a team as CCFC was one of the hardest decisions you could imagine. So very hard.

7. If we did have a grand plan, how on earth did we manage to persuade the owner to liquidate the ground charity, not pay the rent, default on the lease etc? It's just implausible

7. If the owner of Clapton FC hadn't liquidated the Old Spotted Dog charity, then there would have been no split and 500 plus people would still be going to Clapton FC

7. And of course if the club owner hadn't liquidated the Old Spotted Dog charity, then the club would still be playing in the Old Spotted Dog. If you're looking for a reason why we've ended up in this situation, that's it in a nutshell.

8. No matter how much history is attempted to be rewritten, the owner and the Clapton Ultras got on reasonably well until they took issue with his actions in 2016. For instance I had dozens of cordial conversations and phone calls with the owner trying to help the club.

9. Finally, the Clapton Ultras was disbanded in summer 2018. It genuinely feels like another lifetime ago and so weird to still to be going over it all.

In Reply To

What a well laid out load of cobblers. The truth will prevail. I am finished on this topic as you have just sent it into the world of fantasy.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3