Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #1 of 71 (6427 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 7th Sep. Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sleetmoor United 3 Willington 2

Midlands Regional Alliance Div. One

h/t 1-1

h/c 22

A very easy place to find just off the A38 in Swanwick. A seven pitch venue used by numerous junior teams, this season is the first time they have had an open age team. A great game from start to finish. Sleetmoor took the lead from a penalty. They also got their second from a penalty as well. Game played in a great spirit throughout, refreshing to see.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 7, 2019, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 71 (6419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.
Brocton 2 Leicester Road 1
Adm £5
Prog £1
Att 40 odd
Carling £3.50
A bad day all round in Staffordshire for Knitters fans. LR can't complain, came back to level it having gone in at the break a goal down
but all the chances in the world count for nothing when they are frittered away. Cheap trains to a town I hate was the only plus point.

noprogs
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 6:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 71 (6307 views)
Shortcut

I had intended to go to Winstanley Warriors, but noted this morning that they had played home games at Mersey Valley, and not their Little Lane Ground. Their secretary confirmed the game was off anyway - both they and their opponents Vickerstown have up to date twitter feeds, but had not bothered to alert of the postponement.So I diverted to another match in the same competition

Bolton Lads & Girls Club 2 Hesketh Bank 2 (2-4 pens)
Lancashire Amateur Shield

Manchester League v West Lancashire League, both from the middle tier of three.The visitors led by a very early penalty until shortly after the break, and when Bolton added another on the hour it looked like game over. Hesketh Bank however equalised near the end follwing a blunder by the home keeper.
They held their nerve better to score their first four penalties, and go through probably a touch on the fortunate side.
Two sin bins, and a home sending off near the end, with the referee not having a good game in my view.
This is a newish 4g facility, apparently on the site of their previous ground, turned 90 degrees with a bit of overlap, and partial hardstanding on one side.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Sep 7, 2019, 6:41 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 7:36 PM

Post #4 of 71 (6141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newcastle 2 St Harmon 2

Mill Field: Watson Financial Mid Wales League (South)

This was my first visit to Mill Field for nearly 18 months after not watching a match at the ground throughout the course of last term. There had been no change to the ground, set in the bucolic charm of the south Shropshire countryside, which has retained its rustic charm over the years. Mill Field possesses a small spectator stand on one side of the pitch, there is no perimeter rail or rope around the relatively small playing area, but a new shed had been installed in the corner of the ground to store equipment. However, the ground provides some excellent views of the borderland countryside from wherever a spectator stands whilst watching a match. Newcastle were starting their league campaign this afternoon, as they are traditionally late starters with many of the team working in the farming sector, and were the last team in the Mid Wales League (South) to get their fixtures underway. The Shropshire club finished third in the league table last term, behind Talgarth Town and Llanidloes Town Reserves, but now have Brecon Corries to contend with following their transfer from the South Wales Alliance Premier Division. The Corries have made an impressive start to life since moving to mid Wales football and it will be hard to see anyone finishing above them this term. St Harmon have already commenced their league campaign but found themselves bottom of the table after losing their opening four fixtures. The Pantydwr-based club came into this afternoon’s match following a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Builth Wells Reserves last weekend.

The visitors were presented with a great opportunity to open the scoring in the opening minute but a St Harmon forward mishit his shot at the vital moment. Newcastle themselves could have opened themselves in the second minute but a St Harmon defender made an important challenge when a home forward had latched on to a through ball. The Shropshire men saw a header strike an upright from a 14th minute corner before blazing the rebound over the crossbar. A Newcastle forward latched on to a through ball 10 minutes later and saw his shot blocked by the hand of a St Harmon defender but this was not spotted by the referee. The home team saw the ball smuggled off the line from a 39th minute corner before St Harmon opened the scoring two minutes latter when a free-kick delivered into the penalty area was volleyed past the goalkeeper from close range. The Swifts nearly doubled their lead in the opening minute of the second-half when they saw an effort on target blocked and the rebound fired wide of the target. Newcastle levelled the scores when player/manager converted a 58th minute penalty awarded for a trip by a St Harmon defender. The visitors saw a free header fly over the crossbar from a corner eight minutes later before the Salopians went ahead in the 75th minute after a St Harmon defender deflected a cross from the left past his own goalkeeper. The Swifts were back on level terms eight minutes later when a St Harmon forward fired past the home custodian after the ball was played forward after a throw-in for the visitors. Both teams pushed for a winning goal in the closing stages but were unable to find a the elusive strike and could claim their first points of the campaign.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 251
Matches: 50
New Grounds: 13

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 7:56 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #5 of 71 (6077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coventry Alliance Division 3 AFC Binley 1 Kenilworth Wardens 1 No paper, admission or football furniture. Attendance 10

The more observant among you may have spotted that this isn't the fixture I had posted on the WAYG thread this morning.
I made my way to Long Itchington in plenty of time for the kick off only to find no sign of anyone which made it at least the fourth consecutive Coventry Alliance game I had tried to get to but failed. I know the game was played but the question is where? The Alliance website is about as useful as a chocolate teapot in these matters.
So I shot off to the John White Centre on Grange Road which is close to the site of the old Binley Colliery which closed in 1963. The pitch is behind the leisure centre and there is room for at least one other in a spacious site. The standard was surprisingly high with KW missing a first half penalty and being made to pay as Binley grabbed an undeserved last minute equaliser.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 8:07 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #6 of 71 (6026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League Division 1

Broughton 3 South Wonston Swifts 4

admission/programme none, attendance 15 h/c

both teams two wins out for three so far
Great game at a picturesque ground, with the visitors going 3-0 up after 26 mins, only to be pegged back to 3-3 at the break thanks to a 9-minute hat-trick. The second half was tighter, with the excellent winner coming six mins from time.
The home team started well and Morris forced the keeper into a save, then came close with another, early on. The visitors replied with a good cross by Elkins sliced wide by a home defender, then they took the lead on 8 mins as Elkins returned a cross on the right and it was headed in. Broughton replied with a header wide from a corner; both teams then forced the opposing keeper to come out to clear a long ball; then Swifts went two up as a well-struck free-kick beat the keeper at his near post. They then had another chance with a shot wide, and at the other end Morris was put clear on the right but hesitated and the chance was gone. On 26 mins the visitors got their third as a defender dithered and Elkins dispossessed him and shot past Poore in the same movement. Broughton still kept going and on the half hour pulled a goal back as a ball to the inside-left position saw Morris score with a lovely first-time shot with the outside of his foot into the corner. On 34 mins a bad defensive error saw Morris finish well for his second and we had a game on our hands. Five mins later Morris chased a ball into the penalty area, was fouled, and he scored from the spot to tie the game up. Right on half time a corner was missed by the Swifts keeper and the ball was cleared off the line, so it only finished a breathless 3-3.
After the break both teams tightened up, but it was no less interesting and competitive. Both teams had early shots wide, then from a break the home team came close from a header. Swifts then looked the more likely and another free-kick was well saved by Poore, from the corner the ball was headed over. After another free-kick was saved, Elkins glanced a great ball from the right just wide. He then was out through and should have scored but the ball bobbled at the wrong moment. The home team came back in the last ten mins and a great cross by Morris saw sub Szilagi just fail to give a decisive touch on it, the keeper having a chance to save. on 84 mins a long ball forward saw Elkins control it and place a superb lob over Poore for the winner. The home team tried hard to equalise and Szilagi went round the keeper, but the ball was cleared off the line and that was it.
Broughton Sports Field is on the other side of the main road from the village, and very nice it is too. There is a car park at the entrance, a smallish cricket pavilion (soon to be replaced) on the left, dispensing tea and coffee. Superb views of the hills behind here. To the right. enough room for three pitches or more, sloping downwards, with the main pitch today at the bottom. The pitch was good, it does have a bit of a slope from right to left. No furniture but a couple of park benches. Friendly feel to the place. I drove here with non-poster Steve and he brought along a Broughton v New Milton programme from 1990 for the occasion. A couple of people in the pavilion said that they had played in that game. Excellent afternoon out.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Sep 7, 2019, 10:55 PM)

Oldludensian
Junior Team Regular

Sep 7, 2019, 8:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 71 (5950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Counties East League Premier Division

Thackley. 2 Grimsby Borough. 1

Att. 93 £5/3

Following their not so brief excursion into the North West Counties last Saturday, when their bus became stuck down Dog Pits Lane, and were not rescued from a Bacup boozer until midnight, Borough made it to the villages of northern Bradford.

This is the land of the Airedale and Wharfedale Cricket League. Thackley seconds, bottom of division six, were playing Colton. The usual mixture of youngsters and the not so young, playing at a delightful ground with a steep slope down to the square from the road, where nearby lies Dennyfield. This too has a pleasing rural setting, amongst trees and fields with horses. A stand with bench seating, and three step terracing across and behind one goal. Here a wasps nest, cordoned off with warning notices.

The game began with both teams attempting to play on the ground in the proper way, cancelling each other out. After the quarter hour Thackley tried a couple of longer balls through to impressive number nine Jack Normanton. From the first he hit the post, and the second he expertly controlled, only for Liam Higton to put past his own keeper. Borough, greatly missing Venney and Debnam in midfield, managed two chances from excellent moves, Bemrose shooting wide, and Lovett heading wide, a glaring miss.

Thackley though were far the better side in the second half, hitting the post twice, and then Normanton walked through for an easy goal. Jack Bradbury pulled one back with five minutes to go, beating the keeper to the ball as he out came to clear, but the result was never in doubt.

A game more enjoyable for the setting than the ninety minutes on the pitch. The Commercial Inn, an old fashioned terraced pub just around the corner from the cricket ground, had a number of handpumps selling golden local beers. Splendid in the Autumnal sunshine.

osborne
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2019, 8:29 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #8 of 71 (5926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newent Town 1 Moreton Rangers 3
Admission £5/£3 (inc programme)
Tea £1.20

I'd tried to get to Newent twice last season only to be thwarted by a terrible traffic jam and bad weather. I finally made it today as I was interested to see how Moreton Rangers would do. I'd seen them beat New College 8-1 earlier in the season. I liked Newen'ts ground, they've obviously spent lots of money on it to get it to standard. Hard standing has been laaid around 2 sides of the pitch and a new 50plus seated stand is located next to the half way line. The clubhouse is being extended and there is cover in front of this. The dug outs are on the far side.
The game saw Newent on top, they cored after 3 minutes and totally dominated the first 30 minutes. The defence tried their best to give Moreton a goal but it was just before half time when Moreton equalised. Another flurry of chances for both sides were wasted. The second half saw Moreton take the lead, but with only a few minutes remaining the referee awarded Newent a penalty for a shove in the box. This was blasted over. In stoppage time the home keeper went up for a corner, Moreton broke and added a third goal. Newent aren't far off from being a decent side, but they've got to stop making mistakes at the back. A 40 minute jam on the M42 meant a later arrival home than planned which was a shame, otherwise it was a decent day out at a friendly club.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 7, 2019, 8:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #9 of 71 (5861 views)
Shortcut

East of Scotland League Premier Division
Penicuik Athletic 3-3 Bo'ness United
Penicuik Park
Admission £6/£3
Attendance 350
Programme Yes

This was my first visit to Penicuik Park since the home club acquired its licence. The changing rooms, which are in the public park outside the ground, have now been "brought within "the confines of the ground by some rearrangement of fencing. I suspect it is a temporary fence for matchdays since it cuts across a tarmac path running through the park. If you approach from the north side a new entrance has been opened up. The see-through metal fence round the perimeter of the ground has been covered by blue plastic sheeting which really does enhance the aesthetics of the ground. No more spectating by freeloaders and jaikies from the other side of the fence.

On a beautiful autumn afternoon Penicuik Park looked a picture, with a decent crowd, excellent surface and great views towards the nearby Pentland Hills.

Bo'ness have played no home games so far this season, whilst the new artificial surface is being installed, and they brought the usual decent travelling support with them.

Penicuik had the better of the first half but were a little flattered by a 2-0 half-time lead. It could have been 2-1 had not a Bo'ness goal been chalked off for offside in the last minute. I was close to the action but so much was happening in the lead up to the "goal" that I reserve judgment on the decision until I see a recording.

However, Bo'ness came straight back after the interval to make it 2-1. A penalty to Penicuik after about 70 mins restored their lead and it looked all over, but 5 minutes from time Bo'ness pulled one back.

Four minutes into injury time Penicuik missed an open goal and Bo'ness charged upfield and a cross-cum-shot ended up in the back of the net to secure a highly unlikely point for the visitors.

Cross or shot - judge for yourselves

https://twitter.com/...417241223041025?s=20

This really was two points lost for Penicuik as they look to challenge for the title. A thoroughly entertaining game though.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #10 of 71 (5843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldludensian] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Manchester Saturday Morning. KO 10:15. (F&N). Crowd 7.

Manchester North End 3 v 2 Medlock Rangers Juniors

My first game in this league and probably the best ground. Rushford park is is railed on both sides and behind the left hand goal. Just one full size pitch and a couple of 5 a side artificial pitches. It also has a large changing room and function room. I have been told that higher level football has been played there, possibly a Parswood team.

Opening day of the season and a good start by the home side who took the lead on 5 minutes and made it 2-0 on 32. Early in the second period the visitors were awarded a penalty which hit the crossbar and was cleared. Home side went 3 up with 20 minutes to go but conceded 2 in stoppage time to make the game look closer than it really was. Despite being called Juniors, Medlock were an adult side, rather than a youth team.

Impressed with the standard of football and will try another in due course. Two hours available to get to :-

Lancashire Amateur Shield KO 14:00 @ BAE Warton. (F&N). Crowd 12.

Lytham Town 2 v 2 Horwich St Mary's. (4-2 Pens).

Finally recompleted the West Lancs with a visit to the temporary ground of Lytham. Based alongside the BAE runway, roped off with dugouts. Tea Bar open Tea/Coffee £1.

Premier mid table v top of Div 1. Lytham were 2 up by half time and comfortably in control until conceding two in a minute late in the second period. On to penalties and Horwich missed their second and third but the home side converted all of theirs.

Alternative entertainment with Southport Air show on providing excellent views of a Hurricane and a Spitfire and various other planes.

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2019, 8:55 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #11 of 71 (5805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A drive down to The Belmont. KO 3.00PM.

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Rd.

WHITSTABLE TOWN 0 (0) v (1) FOLKESTONE INVICTA 4.

Scorers.

Home. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Away. I Jackson (25 & 53 ) J Ter Horst (54) S Hasler (81)

Admission £10. Programme £2. Pin Badge £2. Attendance 483.

GROUNDS VISITED.(377) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (8)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Three Bridges v Ramsgate. 12/10/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Windy
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2019, 9:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 71 (5768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round - Liversedge 0 Stockton Town 2 - Admission £6 - Programme £1.50 - Attendance 286

Originally booked train tickets to Manchester before I realised that my son wanted to go to the University of Leeds open day, so being the nearest cup tie to Leeds and a new ground for me, this was the obvious choice.

First things first, the programme - a very good cover but on opening it up, this was a disgrace of a publication for £1.50. Very little in it and not even squad lists. Fortunately, teamsheets were freely available.

The match itself was pretty physical and not too pretty on the eye. Both sides had efforts blocked in the first half but the crowd, including a very large vocal (and boozy) contingent from Stockton were waiting for some real quality.

Stockton eventually took the lead after 75 minutes when a cross from the right by Lewis King was met on the volley by Jordan Robinson who found the net from the edge of the box. The match was all over when the second came with a minute remaining when a long free kick from the keeper, Lee Callum Roberts picked out Jamie Owens who held off a defender and turned and fired home from the angle.

I did say on Tuesday that I apologised in advance to whichever club I visited today as my record of successive away wins had reached 7 - well, make that 8 now and again, a hearty sorry to whichever club I go to for a cup replay on Tuesday night.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 7, 2019, 9:24 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #13 of 71 (5658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National South
Weymouth 1-0 Welling United

Entry: £14
Attendance: 1,034

A first visit for me to the Wessex Stadium - built back in 1987 out on the edge of town, is this perhaps the original new-build template football ground? The 40min walk from the railway station is quite pleasant for the first stretch through the pretty RSPB Radipole Lake nature reserve, but the remainder along the noisy boy-racer environs of the B3157 Granby Way reminds you that this traipse is taking you very much in an out-of-town direction. The ground itself, however, is actually rather traditional-looking with its old fashioned corner wicker floodlight pylons, raised outer walls and copious banks of terracing. I liked it very much.

On the pitch, it could have been better. A sending off for Welling midway through the first half led the visitors to take a defensive frame of mind, reinforced by their three central defenders all in advance of 6foot 4inches in height. The Terras grafted for an opening, but didn’t make one count until the 75th minute. Fair result in the end...

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2019, 9:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 71 (5557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kirby Muxloe 0-1 Boston Town.....FA Cup...Adm £6....Prog:No

Was torn between Kirby Muxloe and Lutterworth but opted for the posh and leafy setting of Muxloe, as it was a few miles nearer. Parked up in the Club car park and had a stroll to the castle. Whilst there met a family of Aussies who were over for the football tournament. Their lad played round here last night and the family met Harry Kewell at the game... his home Club is Belenenses in Lisbon. I told them about the FA Cup game in the village and they came along as well to swell the support.

Paid in, no programmes due to an issue with the printers, they kindly offered to email a copy but in truth I wasnt that bothered.

A decent afternoon in Leicestershire, the patchy cloud cleared leaving a decent sunny afternoon. The game was ok, just the one goal to Boston Town on 31 minutes... a strike from around 25 yards from No9 White. KM did have two good chances in the first half that they managed to waste. Overall the better team won, Boston looked to carry the greater threat up front and in the second half were guilty of over playing and wasting a really good opportunity.Their forward had rounded the keeper but then passed rather than shooting.

A decent set up, the Clubhouse and toilets were outside the ground till half time when they opened the patio door. FA Cup rules restricted alcohol to the Clubhouse today. Ample cover and a fine flat playing surface. One of the floodlight's is clad in scaffolding, must be a repair job in hand. Cricket was being played over the dividing fence and traffic on the M1 behind the far boundary moved well all afternoon.

Good run back up the M1,A50 and M6.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

adji
Reserve Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 9:46 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #15 of 71 (5557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Warstone Wanderers 4 AFC Bentley 1 Attendance - 10

Better than expected, Bentley were crap and got what they deserved .. nothing. Played at a leisure centre in Wolverhampton

https://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2019, 9:52 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #16 of 71 (5538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SUTTON ATHLETIC (1) 1 FLACKWELL HEATH (0) 1 FA Cup.Admission £6 / £3 with programme.Att; 150 approx. Small 50 seater scaffold type stand on the far touchline and a small covered standing area by the dugouts.Small clubhouse and dressing room in one corner.Hard standing 3/4 of the perimeter of the pitch.60 page glossy programme free with admission full of colour photos probably one of the best in non league football.Sutton were the better team in the 1st half and deserved their half time lead.The visitors were well on top in the 2nd period and equalised near the end and should have won with better finishing.

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 7, 2019, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #17 of 71 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Histon 0 - 3 Maldon & Tiptree
FA Cup 1st Qual Rd
Admission £10; prog £2

Quite a weird start to the season for Histon, having won all 4 of their away matches in all competitions, now they've lost all 3 home games, and conceded at least 3 in each.

After a bright start, they were definitely second best in this game overall with the away side easing into the next round.

Interesting reading the visitors history in the programme: loads in Maldon FC, Tiptree not mentioned until the 2000s when the merger happened. Wonder who the main partner is in that pairing...

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 10:24 PM

Post #18 of 71 (5379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilT] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BROADLANDS 7 BRYNCAE 0

Bridgend League -
@ Bowham Avenue
Attendance : 35

Even in the second week of the season we had a return fixture. Broadland won 8-0 last Saturday and now popped in another seven. Bryncae were undisciplined after the fifth goal was conceded which resulted in the best fight I have witnessed in years.
Only one red card was shown but it should have been more. This led to heads drooping with the visitors giving the strong impression they would rather have been in the clubhouse bar.
The pitches at Newbridge are in top condition with the cost of their maintenance being met jointly by Bridgend Borough Council and Tesco.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #19 of 71 (5350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was going to the Lutterworth Town in the FA Cup today but for the 3rd consecutive FA Cup Saturday my dad & I did a double. A decent drive down despite some slow bits so we had time to drive into Hamble-le-Rice & we took a look at Hamble Club’s ground. We then came across Folland Sports ground with the aeroplane inside. While I was taking a photo of the ground, a lady asked why I was taking photos although she was quite pleased. The reason being that apparently there is a plan to build 147 homes at the ground & she is very much against this. We then made our way to our 1st game with plenty of parking available inside the entrance.

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round
Sholing 3 (37, 41 & 56)
Bradford Town 0
KO: 12:30 Att: 201 announced (my h/c was 235) Cost: £8 Progs available

Venue: Mackoy Stadium, Portsmouth Road, Sholing
3 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed with infill & h/s. Behind near goal in corner is the small clubhouse with cover along with chairs. There’s some other old looking structures nearby. There’s a grass area although partly fenced off with a new clubhouse ? which look as though its just been built. By the entrance inside the ground is the Pigeon Club. The other 3 sides have metal fencing around the ground. Main side has in part of one half a covered stand with 4 rows of blue seats. Other half has a small atcost covered stand with 4 rows of terracing. Some grass areas & trees in between. Far goal has grass area with some trees behind the fence & beyond are a couple of tower blocks. Other side has grass area & behind fence is the cricket pitch.

Weather: Sunny with cloudy intervals with a cool breeze behind near goal which led to a couple of BT fans moaning about wearing shorts & not bringing a jacket. A few minutes of heat in the 2nd half.

Match: BetVictor Southern League Division 1 South (1-0-4) (v) Toolstation Western League Premier Division (4-0-0)
Until the 1st goal SHO had just shaded the game with few chances until they took the lead with a good shot. Less than 5mins later a free kick was put in from close range to make it 2-0. There was still time for SHO to nearly score again but the gk saved with his leg. Shots 6-4.

H/t lasted under 15mins. The tv in the clubhouse wasn’t on. Early 2nd half I heard BT fans claiming that they’d run out of beer.

BT had a shot saved & moments later a good move saw a cross headed in for a 3rd goal. It looked as though BT could be in for a hammering. Both sides had a shot saved by the gk on 75mins. SHO eased off a bit & seemed reluctant to shoot. Shots 5-5.

I predicted an away win & was very disappointed with BT’s performance. A few fans had followed them most probably on the coach must’ve felt the same.

Easy get away from the ground saw us at the next game but the club car park was full & the the 2nd car park was also full. Luckily this car park has a high turnover of comings & goings so I soon grabbed a space. It’s probably quite a long walk otherwise.

Sydenhams Wessex League Premier Division
AFC Portchester 3 (71 pen, 75 & 83)
Brockenhurst 1 (57 (rebound of pen))
KO: 15:00 Att: 144 h/c Cost: £7 inc free 24 page programme (mostly adverts)

Venue: Crest Finance Stadium, Wicor Recreation Ground, Cranleigh Road, Portchester
I liked this ground where some care & attention has been given. 3 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed with h/s. Main side has in most of one half the clubhouse which is nice & I liked the orange & black quartered tables in the club colours. In front for part are 4 steps for a raised view. Down below on the h/s are flowers. There’s also picnic tables/chairs in front of the clubhouse. There’s also a covered stand with 4 rows of black seats. Straddling half-way line is some building work. Most of the other half has 4 rows of covered terracing. Behind near goal in one corner is a temporary looking covered stand with 7 rows of blue seats. In near corner is an older looking hospitality suite with a patio area with tables & chairs on the the raised decking but this appeared to be closed today. In between is an artificial area. Behind far goal is grass area in front of trees & bushes. Other side has in one corner a tiny wooden bit of cover. Fairly wide grass area in front of bushes. Behind is a playing field where a game appeared to start at 14:00.

Weather: Mostly sunny. Part of 2nd half it got very warm.

Match: (1-0-2) (v) (3-0-0)
Very enjoyable game with BRO hitting the bar on 2mins before POR had a header saved. Then on 7mins POR passed ball to player in on goal just outside the penalty box when he was fouled. The ref gave him a red card. The free kick was saved with the rebound in a good position going over. They then shot over & then had an effort headed off the line. Just before h/t BRO went close. Shots 12-2. POR must have been disappointed not being ahead.

H/t lasted under 16mins. The tv in the clubhouse had Sky Sports News on.

POR went close then they hit the post. BRO had shot saved & then were awarded a penalty for a foul. A poor penalty was saved but the same player scored from the rebound. The gk prevented a 2nd goal before POR were awarded a penalty for a foul. This was tucked away for the equaliser & less than 4mins later a well struck free kick gave the gk no chance as POR took the lead. The gk could only get a hand to the shot which made it 3-1. A couple of mins later BRO corner was headed against the bar from close range. Shots 7-8.

This was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve seen this season. I was on the wrong side of the barrier at f/t & despite players not even making an effort to leave the pitch for a few seconds the jobsworth steward wouldn’t open the gate to let you past the half-way line.
Before leaving we strolled down to the waters edge & could see Portsmouth. Good drive home. Next round of the FA Cup I’m away but the round after is Western hop so another feast of football.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Sep 7, 2019, 10:30 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 7, 2019, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #20 of 71 (5347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pays de la Loire, Regional Division 1A
Stade Mayennais 2-0 AS Muslanne-Teloche
Admission €3, Programme Free. Attendance ~180

A 90 minute cross country drive delivers me in Mayenne, with the river of the same name running through it, and in the department of the name as well.

If, like me you drive into the town from East, you reach the Parc des Sports on Avenue Gutemberg as soon as you reach the town. It is a straight forward ground, with a single stand, a track around the pitch and a tarmac path that runs all the way around outside the pitch.

180 is a good crowd at this level, slightly higher than my last match at the level above. It was the first league game of the season, and the first competitive match for both teams, as they make their start in the Coupe de France next week.

Within two minutes it was 1-0, Mayennais has a corner and it swung over to the far post where Diakaby met it unchallenged. At this stage, it appeared the home team were in a form of 4-3-3 and they were playing a good looking attacking game which only failed to bear fruit as chances were missed. At the other end, keeper Kevin Bordelet produced several good saves to keep it 1-0. The simplest of the lot though was from a penalty, taken poorly and softly. The second chance from the rebound required a greater save.

As the half moved on, the wide players for Mayenne dropped back and the formation became 4-1-4-1 with the forward more and more isolated. This was the pattern for the second half as well.

The second goal was similar to the first in that it was scored by Diakaby and it was a header from the corner, but in this case it was near post and the scorer had to get in ahead of the challenge.

Once 2-0 down, the visitors rarely challenged, while home chances were limited, too many players trying to show off skills they do not posess.

The "programme" was a single sheet of paper, the height of a B5 sheet, but only 2/3 of the width. It was glossily printed with just the match detail and the team list for the home team. No notes, no team list for the away team and not even the referee getting a mention. The sponsor on this is not the clubs main sponsor (the supermarket chain, "U" has their name on the shirts), but instead Le Petit Imprimeur. A suitable name for the printer of this small programme.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 7, 2019, 10:51 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #21 of 71 (5254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A very pleasant day out in North Devon, starting with:

Barnstaple 1 Fremington Reserves 2, North Devon League Senior Division, Att:20, Admission/Prog: No

Highlighted as a noon kick off by DesselSportsFan of this parish, who was in attendance along with Tim, this was a competitive game although often lacking in too much skill, in particular the home side who would have earned something out of the game with a little more effort from some of their midfield. As it was, two first half goals were sufficient for the visitors despite Barnstaple pulling one back early in the second period. The Tews Lane facility is a two pitch area, the main one having a wooden post and rail fence around three sides adorned in places by advertising boards giving it an enclosed feel. Good to pass the time with Tim and Paul as the game was a little average. My second game was:

Kingsley Wizards 3 Lynton 2, North Devon League Intermediate Division 2 Cup 1st Round, Att: 12, Admission/Prog: No

Kingsley have set up home at the delightful Bratton Fleming Sports Club, just to the south of the village which was previously home to the village team as well as Haxton Rangers for a while. Without having too much in the way of furniture, this is well worth a visit. Railed on one side with a grass bank and dugouts also on the same side, the remainder of the ground is enclosed and from the opposite side provides views of the village and pleasant Devon countryside. Changing facilities are in the impressive clubhouse which doubles as the cricket pavilion and beyond the equally delightful cricket pitch lies a now unused second football pitch. The game grabbed the attention much more than earlier, helped by an early own goal, maybe the first time I've seen a deliberately chested OG which flew into the top corner. Wizards twice took the lead only for Lynton to equalise each time, the home side's eventual winner coming seven minutes from time in a game which belied its nominal Step 12 status.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 11:00 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #22 of 71 (5211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After (in order) a motorway accident, rained off just before heading out, snowed off when 10 miles from the ground, and waterlogged when 10 miles from the ground, at my fifth attempt and Ropemaker’s fourth, we finally made it to the holy grail of Townsend Meadow…

Midland Football League, Premier Division –
Racing Club Warwick 2 Gresley 2
Attendance guesstimate 105
Admission £6, programme £1.50 (16 pages, good knock), badge £3
Pint of 4.2% “Harry’s Heifer” special offer £2, melt in the mouth farm-made hot dog £2.50, lovely ‘crunchy outer fluffy inner’ chips £1, Bovril £1

Racing Club Warwick’s emblem is a winged horse astride a football. The reason? The ground’s right next to Warwick racecourse. You enter the ground past an old stable, and the behind-end clubhouse has been nattily designed with arched windows to make it look like a stable as well.

Looking at the pitch, the fence surround is entirely in the club’s gold and black livery, a small but distinctive Atcost stand with club colour seats nestles by the Hampton Road side halfway line with dugouts either side, and a homely 40-yard stand straddles the other halfway line, with 3 rows of seats except the 15 yards nearest the clubhouse where the two back rows are given to covered standing. A huge Nissan hut looms behind the ‘motorway end’. There appeared to be a pay car park within the ground complex, but I left my car in the residential road parallel to Hampton Road (next to Shakespeare Avenue) which had oodles of free space.

This is apparently The Racers’ last season foray on grass before the notoriously floodable clay-below pitch is replaced by an artifical surface. With Racing Club Warwick in ‘comfy mid’, Gresley arrived in penultimate place. If this is how the team second from bottom plays, the Midland Football League Premier will be a very good watch this season.

A nip and tuck first half swung the homesters’ way in the 19th minute, when a long diagonal free kick found Josh Cole unmarked on the other edge of the box and his looping header outfoxed keeper Byron Musgrove and nestled in the far corner. The second goal was not without confusion and controversy. A 35th minute corner was met with a bullet header by Adam Miles for 2-0 but the ref blew his whistle. With Racers celebrating and Gresley flummoxed, a goal was eventually given. It turned out the ref had blown for a penalty just after the goalbound header was made so he decided to let the goal stand.

Gresley obviously felt a sense of injustice with the second strike, as they came out full steam ahead in the second half. A good cross-field move in the 48th minute was finished off by a 10 yard snapper from Conor Gater and then, while down to ten men for a sin bin offence, they equalised in the 76th with a brilliant seven-man one/two touch move finished off with a cross-goal fizzer from Albert Lansdowne. No shortage of effort and skill from both teams. Really glad my eventual hop was rewarded with a fine game.

KevinW
Youth Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 11:19 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace

Post #23 of 71 (5147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Emirates FA Cup – First Round Qualifying
The Recreation Ground – Official Attendance: 245

Colney Heath (1) 1 ……………. Corby Town (2) 3

This tie looked to be the most intriguing of any being played on a previously unvisited ground and within reasonable travelling distance. Step 5 Colney Heath had a 100% win record in their seven competitive games played so far this season, while step 4 Corby were unbeaten in their 5 league games played to date.

Entrance - £8
Programme - £1 (decent enough production for the price)

The stadium is pleasantly located in Colney Heath Recreation Ground, which primarily comprises grass football pitches of varying sizes. The disused tennis court has now become the club car park. The only cover is provided by the seated area in front of the clubhouse, so not convinced this would be a great venue for watching football on a wet afternoon or evening.

The first half was quite entertaining, with two goals from the visitors’ #10 sandwiching a lone reply from the hosts’ #11. The game became rather scrappy after the interval; neither side managed to gain much momentum. Colney Heath did keep looking for a way back into the game; they forced a number of corners throughout the half, but didn’t create any clear cut opportunities as far as I can recall. The only goal of the half, scored inside the final eleven minutes, was a well taken effort from Corby’s #7. He nearly added another, but his curling effort against the post, bounced harmlessly away for a goal-kick.

One thing I did notice in the second half was that Colney Heath had two players wearing a #19 shirt. Not that there would have been any confusion; one was the goalkeeper.

pokal02
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2019, 11:26 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #24 of 71 (5130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ashington 2-1 North Shields
Northern Lge Div 1
Adm £2 (conc) Coffee £1 Att 282

A chilly but dry day at (I think?) the most northerly venue at Steps 1-6.

One of the nicer new builds, a smart elevated stand on one side with the bar etc behind it and a covered area with 4 rows of terracing and about 150 seats opposite. Hardstanding behind both goals. It's about a mile from town centre but bus X22 from Newcastle stops virtually outside the ground.

N Shields playing with the wind, were the better side in the first half and led 1-0 on 18 mins after a low cross from the left was sidefooted home, with various other away chances going begging. Ashington came into it more in the last 30, but Shields were still looking pretty comfortable until hit with an equaliser on 75 mins with a save from a low shot falling kindly for a home forward. It became 2-1 on 83 when the Ashington sub crashed home a 20-yarder into the bottom corner.

Buses and trains both behaved on the long journey and was indoors at 23:00.

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Sep 8, 2019, 8:26 AM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #25 of 71 (4660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Saturday 7th Sep. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barnston 1-2 Little Oakley Reserves (HT: 0-0)
Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division (Step 7)
Admission: Free
Programme: None
Attendance: 13 h/c
Pint of Carlsberg and a bottle of London Pride £6:40

After visiting Tiptree Heath from the same division a couple of weeks back and finding no facilities at all this place was a welcome change.
Barnston have a pleasant clubhouse with friendly people inside.
The pitch is railed off, with several advert hoardings, and ample parking for this level.
I have passed this ground many times during the course of work but had never visited despite only being just a 15 minute drive from home.

Only one point separated the two teams at the start of play and it proved to be a close contest.
The first half was rather uneventful and goalless, and, when the second half continued in the same vain I thought I was going to witness my first 0-0 for many a game.
However, two goals for Little Oakley within ten minutes livened things up.
Barnston pulled one back with about eight minutes to go but couldn’t find an equaliser.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3