Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Tuesday 3rd September 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #1 of 39 (3848 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 3rd September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League

Eastleigh 2 Boreham Wood 0

admission S/T, otherwise £15, programme £2-00, attendance 1641 (20 away)
20th v 17th
Important, and in the end reasonably comfortable win for the home team, although their opponents had a lot of possession.
As opposed to their previous two home games, the Spitfires turned up for some of the first half, albeit only for the first 15 mins. An early goal from Williamson helped, a good finish after being put through on the left of the area in only the seventh minute. Shortly afterwards a superb cross by new loan full-back Seaman zipped across the Wood goal with both forwards just failing to get a touch.... then the visitors started to gain the upper hand. Murtagh shot just over, the lively Tshimanga hit the side netting, then produced a good turn and forced Stryjek into a decent save. Thomas from the left also forced a save at the near post. As we approached half-time another good cross by Seaman saw Eastleigh's McKnight head wide at the far post, and at the other end Thomas had a shot deflected just wide into the side netting, and from the corner Stryjek had to tip a Stephens corner over. HT 1-0.
After the break we had some early Wood pressure, then a couple of chances for the hosts - a McKnight shot over, and then on 54 mins, a second goal as Hollands headed over keeper Gregory from a corner into the net. No visiting defender on the post. Again the visitors started to have possession, sub Champion had a long shot saved, and then a big scramble in the home six-yard box with two shots blocked and a final shot blasted over. The home team replied with another McKnight shot over the bar, and a header over from a corner. For the visitors, a Thomas shot was deflected over, and, with nine mins to go, Tshimanga broke free on the left and his shot hit the post and was cleared. The same player had a shot saved soon after. As we approached the end of the game Champion received a second yellow for a high challenge on Rendell, causing a few handbags between a few players and both managers, who received yellow. An efficient rather than a scintillating performance from the Spitfires, but the result was what mattered, and I felt Wood flattered to deceive, as they did here last season.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Sep 3, 2019, 10:34 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 10:23 PM

Post #2 of 39 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monmouth Town 5 Abergavenny Town 1

Chippenham Sports Ground: Welsh League First Division

This was my first visit to the Chippenham Sports Ground of the season, given it was the Kingfishers’ opening home match of the campaign, and my first visit here for six months when I watched the home team entertain Bridgend Street in a Welsh League fixture. There had been no changes to the ground since my previous visit at the beginning of March, but around that time, Monmouth Town announced plans to move back across to the pitch nearest the bypass and erect a stand that would meet the FAW’s criteria for tier two of the domestic pyramid. Given that floodlights will be a mandatory requirement at this level in the coming seasons, it will be interesting to see if the club will be able to erect these at the ground, given that Monmouth is located in the heart of the Wye Valley. The Kingfishers came into this evening’s derby clash one place off the bottom of the First Division, but had only played two matches thus far, and their last outing was a penalty shoot-out defeat at the hands of Second Division newcomers Ynyshir Albions in the League Cup just over a week ago. Abergavenny Town were four places above their hosts in the First Division ladder but suffered a 2-1 reverse at Monmouthshire rivals Aberbargoed Buds on the weekend. This evening’s protagonists had met at Pen-y-Pound three weeks ago when the home team came out on top in a narrow 1-0 victory and so there was an extra incentive for the Kingfishers to record their first victory of the new campaign.

The home took the lead from a ninth minute Sam Oxley penalty, which appeared from the other end of the ground to be awarded for a handball, which in turn led to an Abergavenny Town defender being shown a red card. The visitors came close t equalising six minutes later but the Abergavenny Town forward could not apply the vital touch to an inviting cross from out on the right. The Kingfishers doubled their lead after breaking quickly from their own half in the 24th minute and the cross into the Abergavenny Town penalty was not cleared properly and Ashley Ford was on hand to fire the loose ball past the visiting custodian. The Pen-y-Pound had a good opportunity to halve the deficit in the 32nd minute but Zeke Vivian in the home goal was at full stretch to parry his shot to safety. The Kingsfishers netted a third goal with three minutes of the opening period remaining when Mitch Palmer's low shot from nearly 30 yards out surprised Tom Indge in the Abergavenny Town goal and nestled in the corner of the net. The hosts extended their advantage further six minutes after the break when Craig Lewis turned in the penalty area and lashed his shot past Indge. Monmouth Town struck the outside of an upright from a 60th minute corner before netting a fifth goal just five minutes later. A mishit effort fell kindly into the path of Sam Oxley to fire a shot past Indge and put the final nail in the visitor's coffin. Abergavenny Town netted a 78th minute consolation goal when Vivian failed to hold a low effort on target and Monty Squire was on hand to force the loose ball into the net. The Kingfishers saw another shot on goal blocked from an 80th minute corner and struck the side netting before the final whistle sounded on what was a gloomy evening

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 240
Matches: 48
New Grounds: 12

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Sep 3, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #3 of 39 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A walk down to Portman Rd. KO 7.45pm.

leasing.com Trophy.

IPSWICH TOWN 2 (0) v (1) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 1.

Scorers.

Home, J Roberts (47&66)

Away. A Shashoua (8)

Admission £10. Programme £2. Attendance 5,377. Away Fans 283.

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

The Moose
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 10:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 39 (3818 views)
Shortcut

ST. PIRAN LGE WEST: PERRANWELL 0 PENRYN ATH. 4

ADM: by donation. PROG: No. ATT: h/c 55

Many have done this one before & nothing ever appears to change at this Cornish village rec ground. Still a roped pitch, but you do get a small cover incorporating the tea bar down one side. The nearby station is handy for the locals & hoppers alike in this twee little place, a few miles from the Fal estuary.

Home team look likely to struggle at step seven, as they were outclassed on the night. Penryn won comfortably, missed a pen & should’ve scored many more. They appear a decent outfit, & brought half the attendance with them. Friendly locals though, so I hope matters improve for them.

KRTM :-)

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Sep 3, 2019, 10:37 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 39 (3795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Ipswich Town v Spurs U21 game - thought about boycotting the game - and many did ( or just did not bother turning up) Spurs should have equalised in injury time but Ipswich should have been well ahead by then. Young Dobra the stand out player for Ipswich.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 11:05 PM

Post #6 of 39 (3741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 03 September 2019
FA Cup Replay
West Didsbury & Chorlton 2 Stalybridge Celtic 3
Admission £5
Programme £2
Badge £3
Coffee £1
Chocolate bar 80p

Attendance 553

Second week in a row Northwest replay action and as last week a bumper crowd.
Got there early this time to bag a programme .
Ground is about a 20 minute walk in drizzly rain from Chorlton tram stop.
An impressive club house housed the refreshments just two little stands one seated Rob Turley stand and a little standing one which in the first half housed the vociferous Chorlton ultras complete with disco ball !

A cracking start to the game saw the home side take the lead only for Stalybridge to equalise before the visitors took the lead and just before the interval West Didsbury& Chorlton equalised.

Game on however Stalybridge had the lion's share of possession before they took the lead after the referee overruled the linesman flag .
The hosts tried manfully to get an equaliser but it was not to be
A cracking cuptie played in pretty much constant rain .

New Grounds 2019/20 :28
Total Games :38
Total Goals : 113
Av Goals Per Game : 2.95
Last new Ground: 27/11/19 Dover Athletic 3 Maidenhead United 4
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1008 Rainham

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2019, 11:12 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #7 of 39 (3718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

6.15pm (started a few mins late)
Huddersfield & District League, Division One
Slaithwaite United 0 Heywood Irish Centre 5 (att 14 h/c)

The Huddersfield League is one of my easier targets for rush hour journeys after work, apart the clubs based near Holmforth at least. Slaithwaite play on one of two pitches at Linthwaite Recreational Ground, about a mile from Slaithwaite, which is where the players change before driving to the ground in their kit.

Easiest way to access the ground is via the car park of the adjacent factory. The other pitch is home to Linthwaite Athletic, and the chatty referee confirmed that both clubs stick to their designated pitches for home games.

Easy win for Heywood Irish Centre, who were 4-0 ahead by half time. Despite the late kick off (it was either 6.20 or 6.25 when we got underway) we had a full 90 minutes, although oddly it was a 50 minute first half and a 40 minute second.

On my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...v-heywood-irish.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #8 of 39 (3703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League Premier Division
Whitton Utd 2 (42 & 48, red 54)
Long Melford 1 (18)
KO: 19:45 Att: 51 h/c Cost: £6 Progs available

Venue: King George V Playing Field, Old Norwich Road, Ipswich

Weather: Fairly pleasant although I did move under the cover in the 2nd half to get out of any breeze.

Match: 12th v 19th out of 20
LM should’ve taken the lead on 13mins with a 1on1 but the shot went wide. The same player made amends by scoring with a low drilled shot. LM were well on top for most of the 1st half although WU came close on 26mins but LM immediately went down the other end & a shot skimmed the bar. The WU gk kept out a shot on 30mins. WU should’ve equalised on 41mins with a pass to the 6yd box & an open goal but the shot was blazed over. He made amends by equalising after finally getting a shot away after it was stuck under his feet. Shots 4-9.

H/t lasted over 13mins & the clubhouse showed Sky Sports News.

Poor 2nd half which saw WU take the lead with a headed goal. 2 yellow cards in less than 2mins for 2 reckless challenges meant yet another red card (I was told by someone connected with WU who is expecting a hefty fine as they have received a lot of red cards already this season). Strange incident on 83mins when LM were going to get a throw in but someone from their bench caught the ball while it was still in play so he got a yellow card. On 84mins LM had an effort which hit the post & on 92+mins a shot was just off target. Shots 3-4. I felt LM should’ve got at least a point from this game.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Sep 3, 2019, 11:20 PM)

Windy
First Team Sub

Sep 3, 2019, 11:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 39 (3703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay - Hebburn Town 0 Pontefract Colls 4 - Admission £6 - Programme £2 - Attendance 377

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago after I visited Ashington on a Tuesday night, there was a high chance that I would be going to the north east on quite a few occasions during the season, so this was my second trip up to the Newcastle area and again there were several options, but this cup replay stood out for me and it ended up being a easy decision where to go.

Coach up to Newcastle then the metro to Hebburn, with its unusual station with the two platforms being in different postcodes (I’m guessing that, although anyone who has been there will understand why I made that comment). Easy ten minute walk to the ground from the station with the entrance in the corner and in the opposite corner is the cracking looking bar and facilities.

Nice raised stand on one side of the pitch gave a good view of proceedings, although they didn’t make for pleasant watching for home fans. Ponte took the lead after just 6 minutes when a Jake Picton cross was headed against the bar by Vaughan Redford with Connor Smythe well placed to nod the loose ball home. The match was all over as a contest when Ponte scored two in 5 minutes midway through the first half - first a Smythe long throw caused chaos in the home defence and Spencer Clarke fired home from 10 yards and then Joe Lumsden robbed the ball off a defender and advanced to the edge of the box and made room for himself before putting the ball between the keepers legs to make it 0-3. Hebburn did then get the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside.

What Hebburn didn’t need early in the second half was a stupid challenge but that’s what Michael Richardson did when he hacked late at the ankles of Gavin Rothery and he went for an early bath and it was 10 v 11 and chasing the match. Ponte had chance after chance to add to their three goals and finally, two minutes into stoppage time, they got a fourth when a long clearance found Layton Swaine who found the bottom left corner from 20 yards.

I see that our esteemed colleague Timmy Tabby is the current king of the 1-1’s. For me, this was my seventh successive away win (I was at the Grimsby v Macclesfield Carabao Cup match which was abandoned at half time with the score at 0-0 so that doesn’t count) and in 18 completed matches this season, I’ve only seen one home win, so apologies in advance to whichever team I visit on Saturday in the FA Cup.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2019, 11:57 PM

Post #10 of 39 (3619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at a Huddersfield League match but in Div 2 - AFC Lindley 4 Lepton Highlanders II 1

An easy win for Lindley who were two up very early on. A word on the elderly ref who not only sprinted to retrieve the ball for corners etc on a number of occasions, but also stopped play immediately before the final whistle to thank and applaud the players for their sporting attitude - I have never seen anything like that before.

By the end of last season I had visited all the venues in the top three divisions of the H&D, but this season AFC Lindley have moved to the well appointed Birchencliffe Sports & Social Club high on the edge of town. The pitch, also the home of Lindley Swifts ARLFC, is at the bottom of a grass bank going down from the car park and club. At the top there is plenty of park bench and pub garden type seating from which there is an excellent view of the action and over to Emley Moor, with Hudderfield Town's ground in the valley below. Additionally there is a bench in the covered smoking area which would be useful if it rained although, asssuming no one stood outside the windows, you could also see the whole pitch from inside the club. The scoreboard from the now defunct cricket club remains and new houses are nearing completion beyond the far touchline. Excellent addition to the league - I can only think of a couple of venues which match it.

(This post was edited by mick on Sep 4, 2019, 12:08 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #11 of 39 (3611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chalfont St Peter 2 Hanwell Town 2 (17-16 on Pens)
Velocity Trophy, Att; 69
Admission £9 programme online only but teamsheets readily available.

A game that to be truthful was low on quality but with a few talking points went to a marathon penalty shoot out which eventually saw the hosts win after 36 penalties were taken..!
Hanwell got off to a good start scoring after 5 minutes from a penalty following a foul just inside the box, but it was not long before Chalfont equalised with a bullet like header from a corner. Before half time however, the visitors had regained the lead with a header low into the corner following a free kick from wide on the left.
The game had been played at a high tempo, however it was clear those on show did not have the requisite skills to do so, many passes misplaced and general quality sadly lacking.
The second half saw little action until near the end. Firstly on 86 a long ball down the middle was latched onto by a home forward and he steered it past the oncoming keeper and into the net for the equaliser. Then in added time a home player made a tackle in the penalty area and the referee initially gave a penalty. Having then consulted his assistant, he reversed his decision and a corner was awarded. From that , Hanwell hit the bar twice before it came down to penalties.
What followed was amazing, I have never seen a shoot out like it. The first 4 from each side went in, then the hosts keeper made a save leaving his colleague to win it....however his effort was Waddle-esqe in that it cleared the bar, the stand and was last seen causing problems to air traffic control. Sudden death saw it come down to the keepers, who both scored with aplomb and so the scoring went on with both sides taking some superb kicks. At 17-16, the home keeper saved and his team were through. The Hanwell contingent were not happy as they were adamant that the ball had gone into the net. What they conveniently overlooked was that it had been kicked there after the save by their player, ie a rebound, which as we all know does not count.
In all honesty the attitude of the Hanwell bench was consistent throughout with constant haranguing of the officials, who I thought were good enough.
What was noticeable for me was the amount of petulance and dissent in this game, the first I have seen in non league above step 5 this season. It was clearly way above anything I have experienced so far, however being The Isthmian League, perhaps it should be expected.
The Mill Meadow is probably well known to many on here and I will be diplomatic and say it has a rustic charm, but is looking a little tired. Still a very warm welcome was given upon arrival.

Hornchurchspur
Youth Team Regular

Sep 4, 2019, 12:17 AM

Post #12 of 39 (3580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Vase First Qualifying Round Replay
Steyning Town 0 Peacehaven & Telscombe 3
Admission £4 (concession) Attendance 126 (official) (my h/c 70)

A fairly routine win for Peacehaven although Steyning should have gone ahead within 30 seconds but a straightforward lobbed finish was missed. Peacehaven did better after twenty minutes when a loose ball was driven home. Steyning had a couple of decent chances to equalise before half time but one shot went narrowly wide and the other hit the keeper. Peacehaven added a second immediately after the break and that was really game over, Steyning being unable to exert any pressure on their opponents goal. A lovely through ball allowed Peacehaven to make it three just before the end to fully reflect the away team's superiority. The sides meet again for a league encounter on Saturday and it will be interesting to see if Steyning can show any improvement.

The Birchwood Ground looks very neat and tidy with its artificial pitch and regulation green mesh perimeter fence. Clubhouse and tea bar are alongside the entrance on one side of the pitch with what looked like some rather cramped and antiquated dressing rooms in one corner. From the far side of the pitch there is a fine view of the South Downs. One bonus tonight was that my half time cuppa was free of charge, the gent serving having decided that I'd been queueing for too long.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 4, 2019, 12:21 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #13 of 39 (3569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National South
Dulwich Hamlet 0-1 Maidstone
Att 1,565 inc a fair few Stones (200 maybe)
Adm £12 - very reasonable, and possibly the first time I've paid by contactless at a turnstile (cash of course is also accepted)
Prog £2, team sheets in plentiful supply and available for a donation

First trip back here since before the Hamlet's temporary exile which ended last year. No changes of note but it's a hive of activity and colour, and very fan-friendly too. Catering isn't for those with shallow wallets, mind - pie, mash and gravy £8?! OK there was a choice of pretentious pies but still... Yet all the food stalls were doing brisk trade and plenty of fans had beer in hand (without any loutishness I should add) so they're clearly on a winner.

As were Maidstone tonight. Tight game, and from a neutral's perspective a dull first half followed by a more absorbing second. Near misses at both ends but Stones gradually posed the greater threat and nailed it with five to go, Akanbi breaking free down the left before cutting in and coolly finishing across the keeper. Hamlet nearly equalised deep into injury time but top scorer Mills couldn't direct his header from a peach of a cross.

I've huge respect for John Still and, with him and old sidekick Hakan Hayrettin in charge at Stones, you wouldn't bet against them getting back into the National this season. Tonight was the type of away performance that bodes well - they dug in, neutralised decent opponents and had pace and strength up front to hurt them.

I was particularly impressed with the ability (though not always the decision-making) of big pacy winger Amaluzor who caused problems down the right until he got injured late on and caused me to miss my train! With matches usually kicking off on time in this league I'd fancied my chances of catching the 9.44 from nearby East Dulwich, only to be scuppered by a grand total of 11 minutes injury time across both halves. Next time..

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 7:29 AM

Post #14 of 39 (3298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....Also in attendance at a FA Cup Preliminary Round for a thoroughly enjoyable contest where Extra Time was welcomed...

Witham Town 3 v 2 FC Clacton - FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay
Prog 24 pages £2.00 - Admission £8.00 - Att 157

....But the final outcome was very cruel on the visitors but overall a reflection of having to play all but the first fifteen minutes with a player deficit.

Entertaining from beginning to end with both teams committed to attack and one where if there was a need to list every notable moment would mean firstly that this would be a tome of Doestoyevskian proportions and secondly that the current mountain of w*rk related tasks would continue to grow.

From hearing about the first contest in that Witham were very fortunate to obtain a replay, the initial thought was that the visitors would attempt to complete the task and this was borne out by a hugely impressive start from Clacton and they took an early deserved lead when the outstanding throughout the entire contest Harry McDonald made progress down the right and sent over what was a perfect cross for Jake Clowsley to head in from close range. Though soon after was what turned out to be the defining moment was when George Bugg was hauled back by Ollie Lamb as he sought to pull clear and bear down on goal. Not the easiest decision for the man in black as Bugg was some distance out, but after consulting with his linesman (very much a tendency with Mr Cheek) he brandished a straight red and the visitors had a large defensive hole to fill.

Brave decision from the visitors to continue to attack and McDonald's excellent pass saw Clowsley in space, but he was defeated by the Spa Road bauble infested dust bowl and his effort soared out of the ground. Witham had plenty of possession but only sporadically looked dangerous, Oliver Bell headed weakly at Joe Fowler in the Clacton goal and then sent another shot soaring over the stand at the far end. However, as the minutes ticked down before the interval, a long long cross from the left by Ben Richardson was glanced in at the near post by Bell with the scorer giving rightful praise towards Richardson for being the creator. This was thankfully an occasion when the double ones outcome was not going to occur when some slack defending from the Witham defence with Jake Thompson allowing a pass to roll over his foot allowing Jordan Lartey the time and space to place past George Marsh for what was a deserved half time lead.

An excellent first half was not quite matched by an enjoyable second where despite having a player deficit Clacton looked the more likely to score and were desperately unfortunate not to do so when an awful clearance from Marsh went straight to McDonald, two touches and a splendid rising drive which deserved to find the net rather than cause the bar to reverberate.

For their part Witham gave away possession too frequently and showed little prowess up front, however it was clear that the Clacton defence was tiring and in the first minute of stoppage time a free kick on the left from Scott Kemp flew over Fowler and it was a simple task for Kye Jude to make things sad for the visitors by crashing in a header at the back post meaning a welcome additional thirty minutes. Surprising that Clacton did not suffer a further player deficit further on in stoppage time as Meikle McKenzie clashed with Chris Taylor clashed leading to the former attempting to stamp on the latter and then connected with two well aimed kicks. The man in black was in close proximity but clearly did not see the incident and after another consultation with the linesman refused to pull any card from his pocket.

Clear that the original player deficit was taking it's toll on Clacton in extra time with their defence for what was the only period when Witham dominated. It took a superb strike from Bugg to earn Witham a trip to Stamford, on the left edge of the area and struck perfectly from an angle straight into the bottom right hand corner. The lead perhaps should have been increased but Witham failed to take advantage of situations when on the break they had a two player advantage over an exhausted defence. Little from Clacton late on in the final third over the duration of extra time totally due to sheer fatigue. Overall a painful outcome for the visitors but it was patently clear that the early dismissal of Lamb had a detrimental effect on them.

Spa Road is a favoured destination after an exacting day dealing with w*rk related travails, with a swift and frequent departures from Stratford and also being a comfortable fifteen minutes walk from the station, Extra time did mean a change of plans but even late evening brings frequent speedy services back towards London. Indoors a few minutes after the start of Wednesday....

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 7:43 AM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #15 of 39 (3275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Windsor 2 Ardley Utd 3 Hellenic Premier
Admission £7 including a 36 page programme
Attendance 70 (hc)
Cheeseburger £3.20 Rating 7/10 bun a bit dryWink
A decent game at Stag Meadow which while still looking a tidy ground looked slightly forlorn with the tea bar near the entrance now closed and refreshments/food being served in the clubhouse instead though still with a friendly welcome even if different personnel. A few of the old familiar faces seem to have drifted away from the committee as well which is a shame but a few feathers seem to have been ruffled off the field according to one or two there last night. The pitch also looked like it needed a bit more grass near the near touchline, already looking bit threadbare
As for the game itself, Windsor scored early direct from a free kick only for Ardley to score an headed equaliser within 2 minutes. Windsor went in front just after the half hour mark but Ardley scored again this time 5 minutes later
The second half was just as open but with Windsor players seeming to be practising for a rugby career by blazing the ball over the bar at regular intervals Ardley scored the winner with a 30 yard bouncing bomb from Barney
Also in attendance was Tony Choules the Egham manager and his assistant who were there looking at 1 player in particular and left as soon as he'd been subbed. Good luck to Choules with the ever faster revolving door at EghamWink

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Sep 4, 2019, 8:12 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #16 of 39 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BetVictor NPL Premier
Nantwich Town 1 Warrington Town 3
Admission pass, was £11 I think, prog £2
Food on sale
Att. 406

A slow starter but entertaining after that. Warrington scored a well worked goal on 36 mins and held the upper hand thereafter repelling any home threat. We want two up with a penalty but Dabbers did get one back. The clincher came late on. Quite a few bookings, some more deserved than others but no dismissals. A big three points for Wire at one of the expected promotion candidates and with six or seven players out injured.

Ground unchanged since I last visited. No need to though. Seats one side, terracing the other, both covered. Ends are open flat standing.

Post match call in at The Dysart Arms in Bunbury. Very pleasant if a bit pricey, but that goes with the territory.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 4, 2019, 8:56 AM

Post #17 of 39 (3163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northfield Emerald(s) 8-0 Desford Development
Leics Senior League Div 2
Attendance: 35
f&n

Northfield appear to be a good addition to this league. They were comfortably in charge of this game and looked particularly lively inside the penalty area, so it's perhaps not surprising that they have a 100% record and a rather hefty goal difference.

The ground on Gipsy Lane is surprisingly good although the large pitch dimensions and rugby-style posts presumably indicate that it is also used for Gaelic football? Anyway, the venue is fully-enclosed, has floodlights, is railed on 3 sides & roped along the nearest end and there's some hard-standing at this end, but there's no dugouts. The car park is quite small but nearby street parking wasn't an issue, and the site is home to an Irish centre with an unusually-designed building behind the near goal, including a bar and with a substantial overhang which proved useful during a first half shower although this does leave you watching from 20-30 yards behind the goal.

pokal02
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 9:48 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #18 of 39 (3095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thought of following Windy to Hebburn, but with Ashington & Dunston lined up for next week fancied a change from the north-east, settling on:
Sherwood Colliery 0-1 Loughborough Dynamo
FAC Prelim Replay
Att 341 Adm £3 conc Coffee £1.20

This one's a bit different - it's only 100 yards from the main road and station (in fact I couldn't find it & had to ask - the address implies it's on the A6075 but it's off a road off it) but surrounded by high trees giving the impression one's in the middle of nowhere.

My delayed arrival at 19:00 saw me bag the last sensible car park space. The clubhouse is before the ground with a tea bar further on but also outside the ground. There are two stands one each side of the dugouts with 3 rows of shallow bench seating in each, and a covered area opposite. The near goal side is out of bounds, hardstanding elsewhere.

It was a game of few chances with Sherwood missing an early 2v1 and Loughborough, slightly the better side, taking the lead on 30 mins with an acrobatic close range finish from a cross on the right. The second half was more even with the away keeper making a fine save from a free kick just after HT and the home keeper saving from a breakaway near the end. L'boro were generally fairly comfortably holding on.

Decent journey home with only closure at M1 15A-14. This only adding about 15 mins, mainly due to traffic lights in Towcester. Indoors at 00:30.

villan
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 11:19 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #19 of 39 (2963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Emerald Centre for NORTHFIELD EMERALD 8-0 DESFORD DEVELOPMENT ATT 35 free, no programme

The venue hosts Gaelic football as well hence a large playing area with high nets to catch ball at both ends & pitch for tonight was set a good few yards forward away from clubhouse. You can stand on frontage of clubhouse which is elevated & has a good overhang but in parts you are viewing through the aforementioned netting. Behind near goal is a flimsy rope pitch side with other 3 sides railed. There is no hard standing pitch side but a path leads around to right. No other cover & no dugouts. Team officials/subs gather on opposite sides of pitch near half way. Left side has difficult access being overgrown. Decent clubhouse with small car park behind & patio in front extended to right with garden type seats/tables but not covered beyond the club overhang area. Decent floodlights but may need up grade if club progresses through steps. Venue probably ok to step 7 (currently notional step 9) but much work needed to progress beyond.
Hosts look to good for this level on early evidence & result here never really in doubt although visitors had 3 good 1st half chances. Hosts dominant but biggest difference was they had at 10 a prolific goal scorer Nathan Kew-Moss. He hit a hat trick in each half the 1st 3 by 27 mins & 2 off those were hit low into corner from 20yards. It was 4-0 at break & 2 more before the hour finally crushed visitors. The hosts had a penalty well saved but NK-M completed the rout with 2 poacher finishes in last 5 minutes.
I will be surprised if hosts do not run away with league but it is early days. Friendly place.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 26

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 4, 2019, 11:41 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #20 of 39 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hassocks 2 Chipstead 3, FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay, Att: 154, Admission:£6, Prog:£1

After a first half in which the two sides served up little in the way of entertainment except a goal for the visitors, the second period developed into an engaging cup tie which Hassocks could have taken to extra time had they taken advantage if their late pressure. The home side equalised just after the break but two well taken Chipstead goals seemed to have put the game out of reach. Hassocks had other ideas and a goal 5 minutes from time brought a frantic finish. Hassocks' ground, just off the main road is fairly nondescript but pleasant enough. A low seated stand is the main feature, with a clubhouse snd changing room block opposite, protected by high netting. Pre-match refreshments were courtesy of Anchored in Worthing, a cracking little micropub, and the rather expensive White Horse in Ditchling. Just the one closure on the way home, the A27 at Fontwell Park, key in the door at 20 past midnight.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 12:31 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #21 of 39 (2836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Division 1 Central
Yaxley 1 Daventry Town 2

Attendance: 83 (official)

Daventry made a rapid start to the game, seemingly determined to put their 4-1 defeat at the weekend behind them immediately. However, Yaxley had the first notable chance of the game in the 17th minute, a Dan Cotton shot going narrowly over the bar. Tom McGowan then attempted to chip Aaron Butcher in the 21st minute after he came out to head clear, but the effort ultimately went over. With the game having become end-to-end by this point, Yaxley took the lead in the 24th minute with a well-worked set-piece: a deep free-kick was headed across goal by Charley Sanders to new signing Dylan Edge, who tapped in at the far post. Taylor Orosz almost immediately equalised for Daventry, but his curled shot from inside the box was narrowly wide. Though the half continued to be end-to-end after this, neither team could find another breakthrough before half-time.

The second half saw Yaxley come out with intent, going straight on the attack in an effort to put the game to bed. Joe Butterworth was the first to have a chance, with his shot from the edge of the box going over the bar. Another excellent chance saw Sanders picking up a loose ball in defence and driving forwards before playing an excellent through ball to Tom Waumsley, who somehow poked his effort inches wide of the post. Then, in the 57th minute, Yaxley had the ball in the net but had it ruled out for offside: a free-kick was floated across the box to Sanders, who squared the ball to Waumsley for an easy tap-in.

Two minutes later, Yaxley were made to pay for these wasted chances after needlessly giving away a free-kick on the edge of the box: Taylor Orosz shot low beyond the wall, his effort bouncing off the post and Butcher before finding its way into the net. This handed the impetus to Daventry, but for a while the game remained finely poised as both teams sought a winner. Yaxley came close in the 70th minute, Edge finding space in the box and hitting the wrong side of the post with a low shot, but it was Daventry who found the winner two minutes later after Sanders conceded possession in an attempt to start an attack. This gave Orosz space to charge down the left wing unchallenged and play a cross into the box, only for the cross to fly over Butcher and into the net. Yaxley changed tactics after this, moving Sanders up front in an attempt to find an equaliser, but it wasn't to be and Daventry claimed the three points.

A frustrating evening for us, as we put in one of our better performances of the season but still got nothing out of it. Ultimately, though, it was fine margins that dictated the outcome here: if Waumsley's effort hadn't gone wide or if we didn't have a goal ruled out for offside, the match may have gone in an entirely different direction. There was also a bit of luck at play in Daventry's second goal, as that was almost certainly unintentional. Still, it's another defeat and more points dropped from a winning position, which is disappointing. However, outside of the FA Cup match we haven't been thrashed by anyone yet, so with just a bit of luck we should start picking up more points.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Sep 4, 2019, 12:35 PM)

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Sep 4, 2019, 12:51 PM

Post #22 of 39 (2788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Sherwood Colliery 0-1 Loughborough Dynamo
FAC Prelim Replay
Att 341 Adm £3 conc Coffee £1.20

Also at this one. Arrived after a straight forward run over the M62 and down the M1.No trouble finding the ground and after cheesy chips in the Clubhouse, went for a stroll up the local trail to get a bit of exercise.

A good crowd on tonight with fans being stamped on the way in, so they could nip out again for food and the use of toilet facilities.

Sherwood had the first real chance to score when the No9 found himself one on one with the keeper, but the keeper saved well with his legs. Loughborough took the lead on the half hour mark and had the better of the first half. The second half saw less of Loughborough in the final third and to their credit, Sherwood did ok. They almost got an equaliser from a free kick but the keeper got a hand to it.

The weather generally behaved apart from the opening 20 minutes of patchy drizzle. The ground has three covered areas, two new looking benched seated Stands on the far side and the standing area on the nearside as you come into the ground. Tidy ground and the pitch was perfect. The park is only three sided as theres no hard standing behind the Clubhouse end goal.

A steady run back with the M1 shut at J32-33 at the M18 split. In addition the A628 Woodhead Pass was closed. Back indoors for 0030.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Sep 4, 2019, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #23 of 39 (2645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BetVictor Northern Premier League South-East Division
Sheffield FC 3 Cleethorpes Town 1
Att: 272 (15-20 away) Adm: comp (usually £9) Prog: comp (usually £2)

A disappointing evening for the Owls, as we slipped to our first competitive defeat since mid-April at, you guessed it, Sheffield FC!! They really are a bogey side for us, we have just 1 draw in 5 outings aaginst them.

The home side thoroughly deserved their triumph though, taking advantage of questionable defending to open up a 3-0 lead. The polific Marc Newsham got a brace and Mitchell Dunne the other. We then belatedly played better, but an own goal was our only reward.

Had a feeling after the 5-4 result at the weekend, that the Owls' defence was far from secure. So it proved and the management must be considering other options - we have a lengthy injury list though.

Anyway, it should be a good day out in the FA Cup at Kidsgrove Athletic on Saturday. At least all the motorways were open and back through the front door bang on midnight!

2019/20 season: 21 competitive games
(13 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 3 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 Lincs Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 85 (4.0 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 20)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 4, 2019, 2:24 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #24 of 39 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Southern League Division 1 Central
Yaxley 1 Daventry Town 2

Attendance: 83 (official)

Daventry made a rapid start to the game, seemingly determined to put their 4-1 defeat at the weekend behind them immediately. However, Yaxley had the first notable chance of the game in the 17th minute, a Dan Cotton shot going narrowly over the bar. Tom McGowan then attempted to chip Aaron Butcher in the 21st minute after he came out to head clear, but the effort ultimately went over. With the game having become end-to-end by this point, Yaxley took the lead in the 24th minute with a well-worked set-piece: a deep free-kick was headed across goal by Charley Sanders to new signing Dylan Edge, who tapped in at the far post. Taylor Orosz almost immediately equalised for Daventry, but his curled shot from inside the box was narrowly wide. Though the half continued to be end-to-end after this, neither team could find another breakthrough before half-time.

The second half saw Yaxley come out with intent, going straight on the attack in an effort to put the game to bed. Joe Butterworth was the first to have a chance, with his shot from the edge of the box going over the bar. Another excellent chance saw Sanders picking up a loose ball in defence and driving forwards before playing an excellent through ball to Tom Waumsley, who somehow poked his effort inches wide of the post. Then, in the 57th minute, Yaxley had the ball in the net but had it ruled out for offside: a free-kick was floated across the box to Sanders, who squared the ball to Waumsley for an easy tap-in.

Two minutes later, Yaxley were made to pay for these wasted chances after needlessly giving away a free-kick on the edge of the box: Taylor Orosz shot low beyond the wall, his effort bouncing off the post and Butcher before finding its way into the net. This handed the impetus to Daventry, but for a while the game remained finely poised as both teams sought a winner. Yaxley came close in the 70th minute, Edge finding space in the box and hitting the wrong side of the post with a low shot, but it was Daventry who found the winner two minutes later after Sanders conceded possession in an attempt to start an attack. This gave Orosz space to charge down the left wing unchallenged and play a cross into the box, only for the cross to fly over Butcher and into the net. Yaxley changed tactics after this, moving Sanders up front in an attempt to find an equaliser, but it wasn't to be and Daventry claimed the three points.

A frustrating evening for us, as we put in one of our better performances of the season but still got nothing out of it. Ultimately, though, it was fine margins that dictated the outcome here: if Waumsley's effort hadn't gone wide or if we didn't have a goal ruled out for offside, the match may have gone in an entirely different direction. There was also a bit of luck at play in Daventry's second goal, as that was almost certainly unintentional. Still, it's another defeat and more points dropped from a winning position, which is disappointing. However, outside of the FA Cup match we haven't been thrashed by anyone yet, so with just a bit of luck we should start picking up more points.

Also at this, decent game which I thought Daventry deserved to win. It was quite niggly at times.

I thought £10 for admission is a bit steep for step 4 but that may be the norm now, so it costs more for division 8 football in England than it does for Dutch 3rd division!

I may have won the raffle but could not find my ticket! Although I did leave my coat in the bar on Saturday night and found my electric razor in the street on Sunday morningCool

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

dtr1989
Youth Team Regular

Sep 4, 2019, 3:00 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #25 of 39 (2532 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 3rd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EFL Trophy group stage

Salford City 2-0 Aston Villa u21's

First visit to Moor Lane despite it being 4 miles down the road. Unfortunately never got to see the old ground but I've now ticked off the souless new stadium. The ground is aesthetically pleasing but difficult logistically to park around.

The football itself was quite entertaining apart from the first 20 minutes. It took a dodgy penalty call from the ref in the 80th minute for Salford to break the deadlock but both teams had chances they should've buried. Never say never but I only went to Moor Lane to tick it off, nothing appealed to me to make a return.

https://thepartialview.sport.blog/

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3