Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Sep 2, 2019, 3:04 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #1 of 10 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

I will be in Newcastle next weekend for the Great North Run and I'm looking for a game to attend on Saturday. I have a list and looking for opinions and what's best to attend. I don't want to stray too far and the ground must reachable by public transport from the centre of Newcastle without too much hassle (driving up that morning so don't fancy driving after that). Current potential games:

Dunston / Goole AFC v Sunderland RCA (obviously dependant on the replay)
Hebburn Town v Northallerton Town (Hebburn also at home if they win their replay)
Newcastle Benfield v Radcliffe B / Runcorn T
South Shields v Colne

Thanks in advance.

spen666
Youth Team Star

Sep 2, 2019, 4:03 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spennymoor Town v Kings Lynn in National League North.

Last years beaten play off finalists hosting this season's early pace setters. Easy drive from where you are

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 2, 2019, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #3 of 10 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seaham CW v. Witton Albion is an attractive FA Cup tie that day, frequent trains from Newcastle (journey time approx 30 mins)

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Sep 2, 2019, 6:31 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spen666] Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Spennymoor Town v Kings Lynn in National League North.

Last years beaten play off finalists hosting this season's early pace setters. Easy drive from where you are

Needs to public transport, not doing anymore driving once I'm up there.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Sep 2, 2019, 6:35 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Out of the 4 I listed does anyone have an opinion on what is worth visiting from a ground point of view?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 2, 2019, 6:59 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 10 (1119 views)
Shortcut

I'd say all four grounds are fair to middling for the level they're at. No real wow factor but interesting enough, hard to rank them really. On that basis I'd be inclined to choose whichever appears to be the more interesting game.

Interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2019, 7:21 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #7 of 10 (1113 views)
Shortcut

Not on your list, but reachable by public transport is...

Northern League Div.1
Ashington AFC v. North Shields
(ko 3pm)

Buses X21 and X22 leave from Newcastle Haymarket bus station* and take about an hour to Ashington. The X21 goes on to Wansbeck Hospital and drops off right outside the ground. The 13:34 will drop you off outside the ground at 14:39, so ideal for kick-off. The 16:52 or 17:39 after the match would have you back in Newcastle for 17:57 or 18:40.

*(Note: I found that this bus station seems to be divided into two. The stand for Ashington is in the part opposite The Hotspur pub, rather than the bit inside the Eldon Square shopping centre).

I went to Ashington AFC last season and found it to be a friendly and tidy set-up, with a large elevated stand offering good views, and plenty of cover should the weather be poor. Northern League football always seems to be of a very decent standard, too.

Enjoy whichever match you get to - it's a lovely part of the country.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 9:24 AM

Post #8 of 10 (957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks both, much appreciated.

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 3, 2019, 2:41 PM

Post #9 of 10 (859 views)
Shortcut

I've the same thoughts as paulh66 on the first 4 grounds your mention. What about Heaton Stannington v Tow Law Town?
Bus 38 is every 10 mins from the city centre with a stop about 100 yards away from the ground on the same road. The return stop is about 20 feet from the ground entrance! Journey time is about 20 mins from Central Station.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 9:35 PM

Post #10 of 10 (769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARNOLD241] Help with choosing a game: 7th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I've the same thoughts as paulh66 on the first 4 grounds your mention. What about Heaton Stannington v Tow Law Town?
Bus 38 is every 10 mins from the city centre with a stop about 100 yards away from the ground on the same road. The return stop is about 20 feet from the ground entrance! Journey time is about 20 mins from Central Station.

Cheers. The sort of info I was looking for Smile

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3