Saturday 24th August 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

pokal02
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 11:00 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #26 of 63 (3559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hertspireite] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wrexham 1-1 Barnet
Conf Nat
Att 4533 Adm £19 Diet Coke £2 Prog £3

Both teams could be reasonably satisfied with their performance here, if not result - Wrexham will feel they did enough to win while Barnet's makeshift defence, with a midfielder at CB and a loanee at LB (we have 4 LB's on our books and they are all injured!) doing pretty well, especially after conceding in the 2nd minute when JJ Hooper found space just inside the box and shot into the top corner. Barnet equalised on 8 mins with an accurate cross finding the equally accurate left foot of Dan Sparkes. The rest of the half was fairly even. After HT Wrexham pressed more, forcing one good save from Loach and missing a couple of half chances, but there was no end product..

A first-half injury to a linesman and inexplicable 21-minute HT interval put paid to any chance of catching the 17:02 back, despite the ground being virtually next to the station, so it was indoors at 22:25 after a 70-min wait followed by changes at Chester and Crewe.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 24, 2019, 11:01 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #27 of 63 (3552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hertspireite] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SJFA West Premiership
Kilwinning Rangers 1-1 Hurlford United
Buffs Park, Kilwinning
Admission £6/£3
Attendance 400
Programme - yes "Ruffs and Tuffs" - Full colour, didn't buy

Buffs moved to their new home for the start of this season. It's very much work in progress, but already it has the feel of a decent ground. It's fully enclosed and railed with around 25 yards of terracing, 4 steps deep on the side housing the pie hut and toilets. There are excavations behind the terracing and it would appear a covered enclosure is to go up there. This side is higher than pitch level and there is a good 10 yards from the barrier to the touch line (a bit reminiscent of the stand end at Abbey Park). The changing rooms, quite impressive judging by the photos, are located in the Sports Club which is outside the perimeter of the ground.

The pitch is big and in good condition - probably one of the biggest in the junior game.

Adjoining Buffs park is a floodlit 3G pitch and a pitch with rails around the whole perimeter where Dirrans Athletic were playing a home match in the top division of the Ayrshire amateurs.

Parking is currently inadequate. Fortunately, the road leading to Buffs Park has wide grass verges on both sides and these were well used. OK in the summer months but maybe not so good come the winter.

On a hot day I took advantage of the tree cover over the terracing.

A minute's silence was held for Matt Spiers, erstwhile Ayrshire juniors fixtures secretary. A most obliging gentleman in the days before the internet.

These two sides are up at the top of the Premiership and there was really nothing to separate them today. The home side just about had the better of the goalless first half which lasted an hour as the home keeper needed lengthy treatment and had to be substituted after doing himself a mischief as he gathered the ball with no one around him.

Hurlford probably had the better of the second half even though they went behind in the 50th minute. From the ensuing kick off they attempted to equalise with a long shot and the substitute keeper only just managed to tip the shot over the bar. The sub keeper was fine when it came to shot stopping but with clearances and goal kicks he had the greatest difficulty keeping the ball within the 1.5 acres of the pitch.

On 60 minutes the Buffs had the ball in the net but the referee blew for a foul. The visitors charged upfield and an unnecessary barge in the back presented them with a penalty which they converted. The dreaded Hurlford vuvuzela was heard for the first time.

Throughout the match the Buffs' manager, Chris Strain was up to his usual tricks. The young linesman and even visiting spectators were subjected to his venomous outbursts.

He could start a fight in an empty room.

Loiner
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 11:37 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #28 of 63 (3479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were two matches scheduled at Bradford Academy this afternoon in the Yorkshire Amateur League Supreme Division.

I opted for the one on the grass pitch.
Farsley Celtic Juniors v Route One Rovers 4-1

The visitors were the better side in the first half and went ahead two minutes before the break. The homesters had a wake up call and equalised on 49', went in front on 64'. It was 3-1 on 70'. ROR lost a player to a straight red card shortly afterwards ( last player challenge) then FCJ sealed it two minutes from the end.

The other match on the 3G was Athletico 0 Littletown 3.

The grass pitch used runs end on end (outside the cage) with the 3G and had "respect " tape along one side.

mxhornet
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 6:42 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #29 of 63 (3194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newmarket Town Women Development - 6 Cambridge Rangers - 1
PSF
Tristel Stadium
Attendance - 15ish at kick off gradually rising during game
Admission - free / no programme issued

I'm not to keen on friendlies but this fitted well on a free Saturday that I wanted to make the most of. Starting off with a visit to Coldham's Common parkrun at 9 before heading back to Norwich via Newmarket initially. Not a great game and certainly not helped my the referee's time keeping. Yes was at the ground in good time but despite that and both teams already warming up at 1025 when I arrived the 11am kick off had slipped to 1111 during the first half a water break was which fair enough, but 7 minutes worth ? After a longer than necessary half time the second half commenced at 1217 and had an equally long drinks break and eventually finished 1 hour 59 minutes after the start and 2 hours 10 minutes after the agreed kick off. NTWD led 3-0 at half time after goals on 16, 28 and 45+3 minutes and further goals in the second half after 49, 84 and 90+3 minutes with CR having scored a penalty on 89 minutes. Luckily still plenty of time to get to :-

Bar 33 - 1 Litcham Youth Club - 3
Central & South Norfolk League Division Three
Gaymer's Meadow, Attleborough
Attendance - 15ish and boosted around half time by a group who'd been watching Norwich City on BT Sports
No admission charged / no programme issued

A decent enough given the level and the fact that both sides were short of first choice players due to cricket and a wedding. Unlike earlier this 3pm kick was underway at 1459. LYC 2-0 up at half time goals after 17 and 41 minutes. Bar 33 made it 2-1 with 13 minutes remaining to set up an interesting finish with LYC restoring their two goal lead after 90 minutes. A total of 12 minutes stoppage time but half of that was for water breaks.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

prorege

Aug 25, 2019, 7:35 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #30 of 63 (3155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland League Premier Division
Jeanfield Swifts v Bo’ness United, 0-1, H.T. 0-1, Att 201 (h/c), Admission £6, No paper, Steak Pie and Irn Bru £3.50
At Riverside Stadium, Perth

Swifts are celebrating their 90th Anniversary this year so I thought I should attend at least one home this season. With nothing else standing out on the fixture list this seemed like a good opportunity.

The lads who formed the club 90 years ago, my late great-uncle included, would have been hugely proud of what Swifts have now achieved. They are full members of the SFA, won their first ever Scottish Cup tie by an eight-goal margin, and over the last ten years have developed a new stadium to be proud of. After decades of stagnating in the Junior ranks, Swifts have grasped the mettle and moved forwards by demonstrating the ambition required to move the club forward. They have numerous youth and women’s teams, a Saturday Amateur side, over 35s team and the whole place oozes activity and quality.

Bo’ness United are going the same way. Their plans to join the SFA were delayed by a year due to problems with mine workings under their pitch but they are now on the right road. They expect to be licensed in time for next season.

In Jeanfield’s case the switch to senior football has helped them to attract he cream of the talent in the Tayside and Perthshire area. Local rivals Kinnoull, fearful of being left behind, have now followed them on the same path. I don’t think they will win the East of Scotland League but they will achieve a position they could only have dreamed of a few years ago.

Bo’ness are one of the favourites to win the League although that is based more on history than anything else. They do have a strong team – the strong spine of Stuart Hunter and Michael Gemmell has the experience and ability to cope with most opponents. They have a couple of very good individual players as well. Brian Morgan always impressed me with Sauchie and had continued to dazzle since moving to Newtown Park. This season they have made a good signing in the shape of Thomas Grant, a former Falkirk player who has been in and out of football for the past few seasons after a debilitating illness. He is now back to full fitness and has the class and vision to be a stand out at this level.

It was these two who combined to create and finish the game’s only goal. Grant beat two men on the left and delivered a fine cross to the back post which Morgan finished with some style. Otherwise both goalkeepers had to be at their best to keep efforts out. The first half was better than the second – the unfamiliar heat and humidity meant that play became more ragged as players wilted as the game went on.

My other reason for visiting the Riverside was the outstandingly good steak pies served up by the club. It is hard to do them justice in words. The catering operation at the ground is very slick with excellent Mince Pies and top quality Hot Dogs also available.

Last season Swifts introduced a match programme from mid season. They haven’t repeated it so far this season but the word was that they might issue for their upcoming home Scottish Cup tie.

The ground is in the North Muirton Estate close to the site of the old Muirton Park. There are signs that the club is starting to attract something of a local support – lots of kids running around and a few families. I also counted 13 dogs – possibly a record canine attendance for me. The old stages that watched the club at Simpson Park are also there and as critical as ever.

Bo’ness brought a bus load of fans and there was some top rate banter going on.

The car park at the ground fills up but there is street parking all around. The ground is on Bute Drive – follow the signs for Perth Grammar School then Riverside Church to get there.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 25, 2019, 7:43 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #31 of 63 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Retford 1-2 Parkgate
Northern Counties East League Division 1
£5 in
Att: 135

Re-completed the NCEL with this trip. Took the train rather than battling Bank Holiday traffic, and all connections worked out fine for a most relaxed trip.

Unusual entrance to the ground, it being a foot tunnel under a flyover, and once inside it's an unusual ground as well. For one thing, there is spectator accommodation around all 4 sides - very rare for an East Midlands Step 6 ground in my experience. Also unusual is that there are stands at both ends but not along either side. One end has a very small covered stand with one row of seats, and at the other end there is something similar with a larger area of uncovered seating alongside. There are a couple of refreshment vans, and the changing room block is a hike away from the pitch.

Following the drama of the previous game here on Tuesday, when Retford came from 0-4 down to equalise with 10 men, this was never likely to hit the same heights in soporific heat. Parkgate looked marginally better throughout, and took the lead with a smart header from a corner on 37. Retford equalised with near post flick from a corner of their own early in the 2nd half, but just as they were looking to get something form the game the visitors scored what turned out to be a scrappy winner on 78.

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Regular

Aug 25, 2019, 8:57 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #32 of 63 (2984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League

Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane

Sheff. Utd. 1 Leicester City 2

Attendance - 30,079

Ticket - £40 Programme £3.50

Decent effort by the Blades who were eventually undone by a Harvey Barnes wonder strike. Category A game resulted in £40 for ticket, but worth it for the experience of seeing Blades in the top flight.

Chris1963

Aug 25, 2019, 8:57 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #33 of 63 (2982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Juniors, West Region Championship, 2 pm

Blantyre Victoria 3 Neilston Juniors 2 (H/T 1-2)

Entry - £6 adults

Programme - 24 pages for £1.50

Crowd - c.150

I thought it would be a good idea to go to Scotland as the weather there was improving and also because it was forecast to be slightly less hot than in England. I chose this match because Blantyre's Facebook page confirmed that they would be issuing a programme, although I am aware that they are regular issuers anyway.

The day did not get off to a good start though, when I overslept and missed the 05.49 train to Glasgow. I still decided to go for Blantyre by catching the 07.13 train, as it is easy to get to from both Glasgow and Motherwell. I also knew that in the event of train delays, I could get off at Preston or Lancaster and catch a bus from either of these places to the Garstang v. AFC Emley match in the NWCFL. Fortunately the 07.13 train arrived in Glasgow bang on time and I was in Blantyre by 12.30 pm.

The KC Stadium (non-sponsored title; Castle Park) is around 12 minutes walk from the station and I was surprised to find that the Neilston team had arrived on a coach, despite the fact that it was a relatively short trip for them. The ground is a wonderfully crumbling old relic. The first thing you see as you arrive from Forrest Street is a fairly ornate spectator entrance with several turnstile doors. This remained locked until 1.30 pm, by which time a queue had already formed. Walking past this, you notice a brick perimeter wall which looks as if it might collapse one day. Further down Forrest Street is a large clubhouse which is separate from the ground.

Once inside the ground, the first thing that you notice is the grass pitch which has a considerable side to side slope. It was very soft after all the recent rain, but otherwise lush and in good condition. There is some crumbling wooden sleeper terracing behind the east goal, with a walk-in refreshment bar located further along. A fairly large covered enclosure, with a corroded roof, is situated in the centre of the south side. It has four steps of concrete terracing at the front and banking at the back. A much smaller area of cover is situated to the left of the main one. The north side has some crumbling concrete terracing in the central section, with a fairly modern changing-room building (built in 1993) on top of it. There is no railing behind the west goal, which has some partially overgrown grass banking behind it.

The match was a very entertaining one, with the home side (who were near the bottom of the table) coming back in a thrilling finish to win with goals in the 89th minute and the fourth minute of stoppage time. The only disappointment of an otherwise excellent day was the lack of neutral linesmen, despite the fact that games in this division normally have them. This might have had something to do with it being a bank holiday weekend, but if you gave me a choice between a programme and neutral assistants, I would take the programme every time! The day was rounded off with a trouble free trip home on the 16.55 train from Motherwell which arrived at Euston on time.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Aug 25, 2019, 9:00 AM)

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Aug 25, 2019, 9:32 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #34 of 63 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Beccles Town 1 Acle United 3
Anglian Cobination, Premier Division
College Meadow

Admission: £3 included free programme
Attendance: 102 h/c

Family event for the evening and Sheeran concert traffic, made me decide to take the car with 2 others to North Suffolk and Beccles. Arrived to find a hive of sporting activity with a cricket match already underway and at 2pm a Rugby match on the 2nd XV pitch and then at 2.30pm the football started - all on the same site which also had a 1st XV pitch and a large indoor bowls building.

Had seen pictures of College Meadow and knew they had a stand, which looked substantial and old - arrived to find it was till there but had been refurbished - 40 seats with a large are to stand behind the seats, with a tea hut located next to stand. Pitch railed on 3 sides with hard standing behind the rail behind one goal - behind the other goal it is nor railed, but there is large white building - found out this was a indoor Rifle Range! The dug outs were behind rail but just grass on that side and the back gate which opened onto the back of the changing rooms/Pavilion, shared with the other sports which had a well stocked bar running. Modern floodlights, less than 5 years old.

football wise, even game, however with Beccles on top it was a surprise that Acle took the lead after 10 minutes, the visitors had a very short keeper but he was on top form and made some great saves and it was not just before the break that Beccles got on level terms.

Second half saw Beccles keep the pressure up however Acle broke quickly when they got a chance and added two further goals on 49 and 63 minutes for a well deserved win.

Last New ground; Somersham Town, Games in 2019/20 Season; 27, New Grounds this Season; 10, Next scheduled game: tbc
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 25, 2019, 10:04 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #35 of 63 (2820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another who was at ...

11am
Gwent Premier League, Division One
Coed Eva Athletic 4 Newport Saints 3 (att 227)

2pm
Gwent Premier League, Division One
New Inn 2 Rhymney 2 (att 170)

5pm
Gwent Premier League, Premier Division
Newport Corinthians 2 AC Pontymister 3 (att 211)

Words and pictures at http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 10:09 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #36 of 63 (2807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

F A Cup Prelim round
Bishops Cleeve 1 Kidlington 4
Adm £7/£5 Programme on line only but teamsheets available Att: 64
As if to emulate our cricket team Cleeve managed, with some awful defensive work, to toss away an early advantage. Jack Watts had already seen one header thump against a post before nodding Cleeve into a fifth minute lead. The same upright came to the visitors rescue again before Kidlington equalised with Leam Howards converting a low cross. A horror own goal on the half hour, Rich Thwaite somehow managing to place a backpass wide of keeper Same Gilder and into the bottom corner proved the turning point. All too often the hosts tried to play the ball out from the back with dire consequences. After the break Cleeve failed to clear their lines and Howards presented Anaclet Odhiambo with a chance for a simple third. A penalty from Lewis Coyle after 65 minutes finished off Cleeve but it could have been much worse but for two glaring misses by Odhiambo and some sterling work from Gilder. Full credit to both teams for providing a good game in sweltering conditions.
I'm sure the picturesque Kayte Lane has previously been described here, particularly as it is a favourite venue of Tim of this parish. Today it looked a treat in glorious sunshine.

(This post was edited by Bradshaw on Aug 25, 2019, 10:10 AM)

davidp
Reserve Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 10:10 AM

Team(s): Leek Town, Abbey Hulton United, Norton Utd (RIP), Brighton and Stoke City

Post #37 of 63 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Mid Wales League Division One
Llanidloes Town 2 Llansantffraid 0 HT: 1-0 Att: c100 £3 no prog

Lovely afternoon for football and a great venue. Old stand on one side where the players come out and a modern 110 seater on the other. Some standing stones sit behind the latter stand and there is plenty of height around the ground to get some great pics.
Unfortunately the match was awful - the visitors weren't good enough to make it competitive, but Llandiloes made a meal of putting them to the sword, not helped by some disallowed goals, one of which was a metre behind the line, but the linesman, who was a member of the Llansantffraid staff, didn't move his flag.

The Groundhog - the football ground travelog

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #38 of 63 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidp] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FAC
Allpay Park
Westfields 2 Lutterworth Town 3
Admission: £5 (must have thought I looked old!) Paper available - a double with Monday's home Hellenic game Attendance: 141

First visit here and a wonderful little ground it is too. I was attracted by the Hellenic/UCL match-up and both teams served up a pulsating game. Despite the scoreline, Westfield dominated much of this game; the away side were content to counter-attack but sit deep. The home side should have been 2 up within 5 minutes as two headers were spectacularly saved by the away keeper. Further chances went begging but a portent of what was to come occurred with an away free-kick slamming the bar also. Home side scored a beauty on 25 which was cancelled by a lightning break and finish on 37. The away side defended like lions. HT 1-1.
Seconnd half was slower as the heat took effect, the home side still attacking and they hit the bar themselves; however 2 goals, again, on the break on 54 and 67 took the wind out of the home side. They became ragged and started pumping long balls into the box instead of the fast and short-passing build-up previously adopted. They pulled one back on 84 with a low deflected shot but Lutterworth sat deep and absorbed everything. Great tie and nice drive back via Monmouth, Tintern and Chepstow. Home in 105.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 44 Goals: 177 GPG: 4.02 New Grounds: 28

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Aug 25, 2019, 11:44 AM)

villan
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 1:43 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #39 of 63 (2333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Finally took the plunge to drive to east London & visit Mile End Stadium. I doubted my sanity on a glorious day & bank holiday weekend but was rewarded with a fairly trouble free drive with sat nav predicting 2hrs 50 &I think from mileage intending to take through central London. Bugger that I thought & instead I decided to turn off M40 at Oxford & head to M25 via A41 & Aylesbury. A decision firmed up when I noticed signs stating 65 mins travel to High Wycombe. A journey via M25, M11, A406 & A12 always causes worry re delays but today only short queue on M25 & arrived at ground dead on 3 hrs after departure & that included having to stop to get directions as I could not find ground as sat nav took me to wrong part of Rhodeswell road.

FA CUP Preliminary Round Tower Hamlets 1-6 Horsham ATT 89 h/c 112 ADM £3 concession £1 programme

Glad to finally tick venue although it's nothing to get excited about. Athletic stadium so a good way back from pitch but stand gives good elevation & view. Uncomfortable backless bench seats so I stood in front for 2nd half in shade of the stand which gave some relief from the heat. Rest of ground is flat with behind goals being a very long way from pitch. 99* of spectators used stand or stood in front. Visitors provided about 80 of 89 alleged present. Hosts were friendly but just had virtually no fans.

The game was as comfortable as score suggests for visitors who are 2 steps higher in pyramid. The hosts never stopped trying & their 11 looked as if he could play at higher level but had little support. It was 0-3 by half time & visitors made 3 subs by the hour mark. TH got 1 back on 70 by Yoon Marc-Oliver 11 but any thoughts of a comeback snuffed out 4 mins later with a 4th for Horsham & 2 goals in last 7 mins completed the rout but I felt it was slightly harsh on hosts who missed 2-3 good chances. A good afternoon with good atmosphere created by visitors. Glad I picked this game as l feel this place could be a bit soulless for normal league game.

Day completed with a visit to Craft Brewing pub in Limehouse & then a nice salad in Barnet at Old Mitre & a revisit to Leather Bottle at Lewknor on way back. Beer of day was Neptune brewery Ambergate? at Limehouse. No traffic issues on way back. Good trip.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 16

(This post was edited by villan on Aug 25, 2019, 1:49 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #40 of 63 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at this game, decent performance but predictive.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

bd
Youth Team Regular

Aug 25, 2019, 3:22 PM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #41 of 63 (2129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We had the "pleasure" of hosting Steve Claridge and his Salisbury team and supporters yesterday at The Webbswood.

The majority of their fans were fine, but as seems to be the case with them at many grounds away from home recently (I understand many are banned from attending their own home games?), have some unsavoury sorts who seem unable to hold their drink and seem out to cause problems wherever they go. Not 100% sure what happened yesterday but after incessantly shouting obscenities at our keeper all game, arguments then ensued between those that came and the 2 stewards on their way out with varying accusations being banded about, such as being invited to the car park and so on. shame really as these fans seem to reflect the club from the top down, including the manager which is pretty rotten. A shame for those genuine fans who I stood with yesterday who were more than pleasant and we exchanged stories, pleasantries and conversations with.

The game as a whole was dominated by Marine with Salisbury scoring from 2 of their 3 real chances. We had enough chances to win 2 or 3 games, but found their Work experience keeper from Arsenal in fine form. We eventually equalised in the 90th minute which was more than deserved.
At least Claridge had the grace to let his team come over for post match food this season unlike last year when he stormed out in the minibus with players in tow! Leaving our kitchen staff with the best part of 2 dozen uneaten meals.

Some clubs really could do with a good clean up and Salisbury are prime candidates at our level.

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 25, 2019, 4:06 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #42 of 63 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Preliminary Round

Cray Valley (PM) 0 Whyteleafe 2

Entry - £8. Programme - £1. Attendance - 83. Weather -Flippin' hot.

Cray Valley play at the Badgers sports Ground in Eltham. It's a pleasant ground hemmed in by housing much like Harrow Borough. Quite a slope on this pitch from goal to goal. One stand with the required number of seats plus two other covered areas. Small clubhouse made even smaller today by half of it taken up by a function. No real ale.

The match, between two sides in the same Step 4 division, started at a pace for CV who hit the post on 6 and looked very menacing. Leafe steadied the ship though with captain Campbell marshalling the defence very well. Leafe scored on 24, a well taken goal from Andrews after an excellent passing movement. This knocked CV back and Leafe dominated the rest of the half.

Apart from one chance for CV from a goalmouth melee, the second half was all Leafe. Not spectacular stuff, but it was hot. Eventually, Leafe got a deserved second on 80, when some truly kamikaze defending from CV enabled sub Walker-Barth to slot in from a few yards out. And that was that. One of those days when CV could have played until midnight and not scored.

An enjoyable afternoon, only slightly spoilt by Leafe's propensity to roll about on the floor every time they were tackled. They had this match sewn up, the histrionics were not required.

rambler77
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 5:56 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #43 of 63 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ANSTEY NOMADS SWIFTS 1-4 SAFFRON DYNAMO RESERVES
(LSL-1)

Adm / prog: none

Despite the very hot conditions these two 2nd teams produced a pretty decent game. The visitors came from behind to record their first victory of the season, and in the process end Anstey's 100% start.

90 ground and match photos can be viewed online @
https://rambler77.zenfolio.com/p118305308

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Shacker
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 25, 2019, 6:12 PM

Team(s): Mainly South West stuff, odd trips North

Post #44 of 63 (1852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South West Peninsula League West
WADEBRIDGE TOWN 2 LISKEARD ATHLETIC 3
Attendance: 51 (head count)
Admission: £5 and £3 concessions
Programme: Free (refreshing change from the 2 quid shock at Saltash)
Tea Hut Stuff: It was shut
Weather: Hot sunny day with a blustery gulf stream breeze
Parking: Excellent pitch side view from the car park on top of the grass bank

Local Profile
Wadebridge is the gateway town before tourists hit the packed out publicised honey traps of Padstow, Rock and Port Isaac. Local celebrities with expensive property around here include Rick Stein, Gordon Ramsay and David (Brexit) Cameron. Apparently Doc Martin is set to join them, rumour has it he's doing a second viewing on a 3 bed semi just down the road from the new Aldi.

Any long distance groundhoppers planning a visit to Bodieve Park now have the convenient option to book a cheap room at the Premier Inn which is next door to the ground, just make sure you make your reservation early to get the best possible rate.

Getting In
Not much crowd congestion at the entrance today, I counted around 50 in the ground, about half of them had made the 22 mile journey from Liskeard.

Match Programme
Wadebridge supply a free programme which is a nice touch especially as I forked out 2 pounds for a similar looking effort at Saltash United in the week.

I was ready to go BIG at the Tea Hut today but surprisingly found the catering unit unattended without signs of life (the unit is a room in a corner of the clubhouse). This was 10 minutes before kick off and it was still as dormant at half time? Just into the second half I saw a couple of people with cups of tea so somebody somewhere must have served them, strange.

Ground
Wadebridge have a unique style Main Stand which looks like something off that 'Grand Designs' TV programme that features quirky buildings. There are 3 rows of plastic bucket seats which should offer a great view from the height they're positioned at, the snag is the steel railings to stop you falling onto the pitch, the railings somewhat impede a clear view of the action below. Today there was me and half a dozen other folk in the seats getting some welcoming shade from the hot sun. Gosh it was warm.

The other stand at the ground is at the Gordon Ramsey End, that's the direction his multi million pound small village (home) is located. The stand is named after Ron Williams who built the original structure at Bodieve Park (quite refreshing Ron wasn't a celebrity chef or some incompetent politician that's co-ordinated our Broken Britain status).

There is plenty of grass banking along the rest of the ground which provides some really good views of the pitch.

The Match
A frenetic and enthusiastically contested encounter throughout.

Wadebridge styled a more direct method whilst Liskeard stuck with the passing game for the most part.

The home side raced into a 10th minute lead before Liskeard struck back on the half hour. To be honest the route-plan game strategy objectives set out by optimistic coaching staff had visibly gone 'off-road' by half time. This could be verified by the howling emitting from the dugouts beside the halfway line.

Perhaps the difference between the sides was the finishing power of Liskeards highly talented striker James Lorenz. He rifled home goals in the 55th and 70th minute to basically cut Wadebridge adrift from the match.
Credit to Wadebridge they stuck at the cliff face and created some good chances in the last 20 minutes. One of these finally hit the net but by then we were into injury time. At 2-3 Liskeard had a dicey few minutes before the final whistle but they survived to go 4th in what looks to be a highly competitive league table.

Anyone looking for a good game to watch next Saturday should pencil in the FA Vase Cup Tie where SWPL East big guns Bovey Tracey take on this vibrant young Liskeard side. Certainly looks like being a real East meets West face off for sure.

(This post was edited by Shacker on Aug 25, 2019, 6:15 PM)

John403
Youth Team Regular

Aug 25, 2019, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Fulham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #45 of 63 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shacker] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Herne Bay 2 v AFC Croydon Athletic 2

FA Cup Prelim Rd
Admission £10, Programme £2

Decent game in which Croydon spent the vast majority 2-1 up after 3 fairly early goals. I doubt I’ll see much better goals this season than Croydon’s second - An incredible Nahum Green volley from outside the box directly into the top right corner.

I always had the feeling Herne Bay were going to equalise and so they did in the 93rd minute, so they do it all again on the 3rd September.

Shame about the result but still a very enjoyable day which prior to the Football was spent sunning myself on Herne Bay beach!

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 25, 2019, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #46 of 63 (1763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky Bet Championship

Charlton Athletic (1) 1 v 0 (0) Brentford

Admission £21 OAP, Programme £5 , Attendance: 16,771 (2,250 Bees fans)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds Season 2019/2020 = 5
Last New Ground : Broadbridge Heath 20th August 2019

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #47 of 63 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We almost had a similar problem a few years ago when we played them in the FA Vase. he wasn't coming back with his team for the food prepared until a couple of their Directors persuaded him.
We had no problem with their fans though at that point in time.

The Moose
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #48 of 63 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

DARZET PREM LGE: BALTI SPORTS 4 WAREHAM RANGERS 1

ADM: £3.50. PROG: 50p. ATT: h/c 28

Not the best Saturday for me as plan A to go West to Devon, went out the window once the conservatory roof glass shattered! Most of morning spent clearing the mess which left no time to go further afield. Revisit to Weymuff college it was then, where I’ve seen four different clubs call it home.

The curry boys looked a good outfit & made easy pickings of their East Darzet opponents. Wareham didn’t help themselves mind, having a player sent off for swearing at the lino. Never a well supported venue, but a fine ground for step seven. Fully railed & with a small cover on the tea bar side too. Also easy one to visit by train, as tiz only a mile stroll along the sea front. Good excuse to buy a Rossi’s also!

KRTM :-)

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 25, 2019, 10:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #49 of 63 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish League Two
Queen's Park 0-0 Elgin City
Att: 577 Admission: £15 Prog: Online only

Tagged this game onto the end of a golfing trip in the far north of Scotland, as I'd always been curious to attend a QPFC home game at Hampden and it looks like this season will be their last in the main stadium. Drove 295 miles from the north coast and arrived ten minutes before KO. Being able to park for free right outside the turnstiles was a Brucie Bonus.

The game was pretty dire throughout, with each side having a couple of decent efforts each but there was a distinct lack of quality in the play. The pitch looked grassy and seemed to play slow, and the unusual warmth of the afternoon may also have had a negative effect.

The atmosphere was s lacking as the quality of the football, with the crowd contributing little by way of encouragement. Decent following from the away team but they were just as quiet as the homesters. I would hope that Queen's get a better atmosphere when they move to Lesser Hampden, but I do hope they allow watching from both ends as well as the south side.

Last saw Hampden in 1989 prior to the redevelopment when it was vast but very basic. I'm not inspired by the new Hampden with its wasted space around the pitch, and the bland seating around the west, north and east stands. The two-tier south stand is the best part of the ground but since this is where we were watching from, it didn't form the backdrop.

Haven't downloaded the online match programme yet. I saw the previous home issue and wasn't impressed. Queen's have a good website which told me everything I wanted to know.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 11:53 PM

Post #50 of 63 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....A Saturday morning lacking the usual enthusiasm meant that the initial thoughts of either Brinscombe, Fairford or Shrivenham were dispensed with in favour of the next county option largely retracing the previous Saturdays trip in the direction of South Suffolk for....

Whitton United 2 v 1 Hertford Town - FA Cup Preliminary Round
Prog 16 pages £1.00 - Admission £6.00 - Att 55

....TBH not one of the ECL Premier venues that I had either been particularly excited about visiting and this was borne out by a ground that regrettably was unmemorable and a contest that fell into the same category with admittedly a minor cupset but Hertford were a poor Level 4 team with the comment made at the end that only Domafriyie knew the direction towards the Whitton goal. The heat was a real leveller and what surprised that the first half was completed without any hint of a drinks break. Not the case in the second period where refreshment was sensibly taken.

Poor first period, where it was noted that the visitors incessant passing was getting them precisely nowhere. You had to feel a degree of sympathy for Domafriyie who showed a level of capability that was not associated with his team mates. One positive run down the left looked promising but Domafriyie could not arrange the angle correctly and he placed into the side netting. Higgins in the home goal made a reasonably comfortable save from Bailey but then nearly made a botch of a further shot from Bailey regaining possession at the second time. Whitton in addition showed little in the way of attacking prowess with their best opportunity occurring just before half time, but Gittens finding space but striking his shot at a comfortable height for Hughes in the Hertford goal deal with ease.

Fortunately, the second half was an improvement though it was still the case that Hertford were almost entirely reliant on Domafriyie to create any degree of danger towards the home defence. One foray forward led to a heading towards the far corner strike which Higgins manage to parry but Domafryie was defeated by the angle and sent the rebound into the side netting. On the balance of play, Hertford just about deserved their lead and there was an inevitability of who was the scorer, For what was perhaps the only occasion during the contest a long pass down the line from Herd caught out the home defence, Domafriyie rode a heavy challenge, which ultimately led to Clarke being cautioned and his first shot was parried out by Wiggins but the rebound fell straight to Domafriyie who dispatched emphatically into the roof of the net.

Going behind was the catalyst for what was a very average Whitton team to reinvigorate themselves and within minutes they were level with a free kick from Clarke seeing Hughes completely misjudging the flight allowing L Wales the simple task of heading in at the back post from close range. Young was then afforded too much space by a slow reacting defence, but he angled the effort wide of the far post. A long midweek journey for the hosts looked increasingly likely until they scored what was an unlikely winner with the Hertford defence failing to clear and although Lay's shot was not the cleanest (another description was that it was a scuff) it wrong footed Hughes and found the corner. Sorry to say that this was a contest between two equally poor teams, but Whitton took advantage of the few chances that they created and Hertford would surely have had a more successful afternoon if others of the team had shown the commitment of Domafriyie.

Viewed one of those new fangled 'Groundhopper' videos that young people take a pride in compiling on their i phones on the Whitton website, so knew what to expect in the way of a stand behind a goal and two areas of cover one on each side. It was perhaps not the wisest decision of the day to stand on the side facing the sun for the duration and it necessitated a half time not for the usual cup o rosie but for something colder, carbonated and half the contents of a bag of Tate & Lyle. Another unwise move associated with the day, was deciding to walk from Ipswich town centre. Straight enough in terms of direction, straight up the Norwich Road but in low eighties stickiness it felt like an eternity and although arrived 50 minutes before kick off, the entrance was still firmly shut. Accolades in the direction of the learned Mr Phillips for the company during the match and also to the representative from BBC Radio Suffolk who pointed out that the numbers of several of the Whitton players did not coincide with what had been written on the pinned up teamsheet.

Easy journeys in both direction, arriving into Ipswich just before midday. Pre match trip to the ever wonderful Dove Street tavern, for a succession of ales of a lighter more refreshing persuasion. Noted that the Briarbank Brewery tap was having a festival, therefore after standard pint and fodder from the town JDW it was destination Briarbank. Never thought highly of their own beers that are a little too craft oriented and continental for this jaded palate but on a day when summer ales were preferred, the local Cabin and Humber Doucy Breweries were what was required. It was not a day for Porters but in the service of an unsampled brewery, the dark ale from the also local Starwing Brewery was consumed.

The uncomfortable weather of the day, could not be dispensed with on the return journey meaning that the doors to the balcony were flung open on return.......

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Aug 26, 2019, 1:04 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3