Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Help with identifying medals

Meadowbank74
Junior Team Star

Aug 5, 2019, 1:54 PM

Post #1 of 8 (702 views)
Shortcut
Help with identifying medals Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would appreciate any assistance in identifying three medals, which date from the 1890s. They are inscribed on the back to the winners of a Football Challenge Shield.

The problem is to work out the elaborate monogram stands for. There are three letters - B, I, A - which could be in any order. This is surrounded by the motto 'A Sound Mind in a Sound Body' (which is a translation of the Latin Mens Sana in Corpore Sano), a common enough slogan in Victorian times.

I have a hunch that they may relate to Birmingham Athletic Institute, which ran a variety of sports competitions pre-WW1 including a football competition for elementary schools. However, I can't find anything to confirm that.

The names on the back are L Westall (1896), E King and A Redshaw (both undated).

Any informed suggestions?

https://pbs.twimg.com/...t=jpg&name=small

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com

(This post was edited by Meadowbank74 on Aug 5, 2019, 2:48 PM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 5, 2019, 3:38 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #2 of 8 (685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Meadowbank74] Help with identifying medals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having collected football medals for many years the first thing I would say is that they are most unusual for the 1890s most of which are hallmarked silver or gold or a combination of both. I have examples from most of the leagues around Birmingham during that period but have never come across any like those. Your suggestion is as good as any and if as it seems there was such a competition then I think you are on the right lines
There was a Leonard Westall registered in Birmingham in March period 1884 which would give an age of 12 in 1896. There was no other male birth of that name during that period anywhere in the country.

Meadowbank74
Junior Team Star

Aug 5, 2019, 4:14 PM

Post #3 of 8 (680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Help with identifying medals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks, that's a good shout on L Westall (although it would help if there was also an A Redshaw on the scene!).

But yes, the medals are unusual as they are good quality design, but not marked as silver. Only one of them is enamelled, the others are plain metal.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 5, 2019, 5:15 PM

Post #4 of 8 (663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Meadowbank74] Help with identifying medals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were loads of A Redshaws about, a family of them at Market Bosworth which is not a million miles away. In the 1890s there were lots of jobe going around the Birmingham area and people were moving there from all over.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 5, 2019, 5:47 PM

Post #5 of 8 (651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Help with identifying medals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leonard Westall was one of six children in 1891, they lived in Herbert Road Aston, head Joseph was born in Abindon, Berks and his wife in Warwick, all the children were born in Aston.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 5, 2019, 10:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 8 (590 views)
Shortcut

In England & Wales

LS Westall
b 1862 (Colchester)
m 1908 (Dunmow, Essex)
d 1952 (Portsmouth)

LA Westall
1869 (Stafford)
no m or d found

L Westall
b 1870 (Macclesfield)
d 1870 (Stockport)

or possibly born in Scotland & moved to Birmingham

or mis-registered as e.g. Westhall (but none found)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 6, 2019, 8:13 AM

Post #7 of 8 (538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Help with identifying medals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have a hunch that they may relate to Birmingham Athletic Institute, which ran a variety of sports competitions pre-WW1 including a football competition for elementary schools

I was going on Meadowbank 74's theory (above) which I believe is probably correct and Leonard of Aston aged 12 would fit the 1896 date on the medal exactly. He would no doubt be in his final year at school.

(This post was edited by GRIFFON on Aug 6, 2019, 8:15 AM)

Meadowbank74
Junior Team Star

Aug 8, 2019, 9:00 AM

Post #8 of 8 (356 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. If it was an elementary schools competition, probably the fundamental issue for research is that football at that level was barely reported in the papers (whether in Birmingham or elsewhere). I kind of thought the monogram or the motto would have cropped up in other contexts, so I'll just keep looking.

Cheers.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3