Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Eastbourne Borough date of founding - 1964 or 1965?

Statto1
Junior Team Regular

Jul 26, 2019, 5:46 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #1 of 2 (362 views)
Shortcut
Eastbourne Borough date of founding - 1964 or 1965? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know that some may regard this as a trivial question but maybe a fan of Eastbourne Borough exists on this board and can help me out.

As long as I can remember, the team originated as Langney in 1964. This date of formation is provided on many websites, and crucially, on the club's own history page.

http://www.ebfc.co.uk/a/club-history-18480.html

So then why do the club badges on its Twitter and Facebook pages have the year 1965 on it? Has the club 'historian' belatedly discovered that their roots can only be traced back to 1965, and if so, why not change the club history page (they could have just forgotten to make this change, of course)?

The date of formation is usually quite an important 'feature' of a club so I am surprised to see this disparity that has only occurred in the last year or so.

In the meantime I will contact the club as teams usually have firm opinions on such matters but am interested to discover if we have an Eastbourne Borough fan who can shed some light on the matter.

Statto1
Junior Team Regular

Jul 26, 2019, 6:52 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #2 of 2 (350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Statto1] Eastbourne Borough date of founding - 1964 or 1965? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think I have found the answer myself thanks to the web, and in particular the highly knowledgeable David Bauckham. In an article (URL below) he writes:

Langney Football Club was founded in 1964 as a means of allowing the players to continue. However, it did not affiliate with the Sussex FA to become a fully fledged Football Club until the summer of 1965, and therefore the 2015-16 season officially marks its 50th Anniversary.

https://dbauckham.exposure.co/sports-day?locale=en%3Fmore%3Dtrue%2Ffor-sports%3Fmore%3Dtrue%2Fembed%2Fcover%3Fembed%3Dtrue%3Fembed%3Dtrue%3Fmore%3Dtrue

Moreover, on the club's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/EBFC50Years/) for their 50th anniversary, one such comment is:

For confirmation of the dates of the 50th anniversary it will fall in the month of August 2015. As the clubs official founding year was the year of 1965/6.

I think this explains the disparity pretty well. I guess then the date of foundation is up to individual interpretation. They now appear to regard 1965 as their official beginning (despite not updating their history page on their website) since that was the date they affiliated. Of course, many clubs claim a history back to the late 19th century based on no such stringent definition. I suppose it is another example of football clubs' date of formation not being an exact science (and in the case of Stoke, Wrexham and Watford somewhat fluid).

I hope I haven't bored too many of you.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3