Atavistic
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 18, 2019, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #1 of 10 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Thursday, 18th July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hunts FA 125 Premier Cup: Group Stage
Yaxley 1 St. Neots Town 1 (Yaxley win 4-1 on penalties)

Attendance: 60 h/c

The first half of this game is best described as poor, with there being little to no flow to proceedings due to countless loose passes from both sides. There were a few half-chances for both sides, but St. Neots came closest to scoring on two occasions: first, a corner was headed towards goal but Jack Wanless was able to head off the line; second, after a St. Neots breakaway James Blake made a fantastic double save to keep things level.

The second half started in similar fashion, but we steadily grew more and more into proceedings with our substitutions and eventually had our chance in the 65th minute: a St. Neots defender was slow to clear and one of our attackers took the ball off him, before playing a pass across goal for our number 15 (who I only know as "Eddie" based on our players' shouts) to tap in. We pushed for a second for a while, but we started to run out of energy and this allowed St. Neots to start pushing high for an equaliser. They eventually got one in the 86th minute, a defensive miscue setting a St. Neots forward through on goal to finish calmly. The last few minutes saw both sides throw caution to the wind in pursuit of a winner, but none came and so it went to penalties.

In the penalty shoot-out, we took the first penalty and scored, with St. Neots following up by shooting well over the bar. We then scored our second while St. Neots missed again, before scoring our third. St. Neots were able to score their third to stay in it, but it wasn't enough as we scored our fourth penalty to win the extra point.

So it now goes down to Saturday, where a win against Eynesbury will see us win the group and go through to the final; anything else will see St. Neots through instead.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 11 (Most Recent: Carshalton Athletic)
Games: 21
Goals: 68
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.24
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 18, 2019, 10:54 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 10 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Europa League First Qualifying Round. 2nd leg. KO 20:00. Admission 15 Euro. Programme 4 Euro. Crowd 5000+

Shamrock Rovers 2 v 1 SK Brann (Aggregate 4-3)

Another dismal opening half with just one note worthy effort on target from Rovers. Both sides looked lethargic, little movement off the ball, crosses over hit etc.

Finally on 57 minutes the game came to life with a Brann goal, unfortunately soon after a Shamrock idiot in the crowd threw something at the Brann keeper which the referee collected and handed to the 4th official. On 76 minutes the place erupted as Rovers equalised, sparking an invasion of the pitch by a few mindless morons and others climbing over the barriers to join in. Further mayhem when the winner went in, more idiots on the field of play and a couple were marched from the ground by police. Stewards were ineffective and I would imagine Rovers will hear more about this from UEFA.

Enjoyable second half as a neutral though with the passion that is so oftem missing finally shining through. Apollon at home next Thursday apparently.

simonsm
Youth Team Star

Jul 18, 2019, 10:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 10 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-Season Friendly
Tottington United 4 Oldham Victoria 3 (HT 3-2)
St Anne's Playing Field, Tottington
KO 6.49pm (4 mins late) - 2 x 40 mins halves
h/c 8 (was just me until about 20 mins in)
No spectator facilities or food/drink

I was originally intending to be at Pennington v Stoneclough in the Atherton Charity Cup, but with the M62 and M60 at a standstill and it looking increasingly unlikely that I would get to there by KO, I instead went off-motorway and made a first ever visit to Tottington United, as I had spotted a couple of days earlier that they had arranged a friendly for tonight.

Tottington United are in the Lancashire Amateur League - Div 2 last season, finishing 2nd so presumably promoted to Div 1 for 2019/20.

At a similar level are Oldham Victoria who play in the Lancashire & Cheshire League Div 1 - finished 3rd from bottom but presume are still there this season.

The ground was alright. Had a metal barrier most of the way round the pitch, though needed some refurbishment. Changing rooms were a metal box near the pitch.

There was no hard standing, and much of the edge of the pitch was heavily overgrown, with just over a third accessible for standing. Athough it is in Tottington, not too far from the town centre itself, it did seem quite rural with trees around much of it. There is also a basketball court that was in use next to the car park. The car park itself is quite small and barely fitted the players cars, so I parked a short walk to what was actually a bus turnaround thing nearby, but as it was late on, no buses were going to arrive, and many others parked in there as well, including some players.

We kicked off 4 mins late at 6.49 as some of the Oldham Victoria players had been delayed with the excess motorway traffic about. Tottington United took the lead on 20 mins. The equaliser 5 mins later for Oldham was thanks to a bizarre failed backpass attempt that was latched onto by the advancing Oldham players and 1-1. Then 5 mins later it was 2-1 to Tottington. Another 5 mins later and it was 2-2 with a looping shot over everyone into the net. Just 2 mins later on 37 mins it was 3-2.

The ref blew for HT on 40 mins for no obvious reason - presumably the players had agreed it. But it was bright sunshine so maybe they just wanted to finish early as therefore the 2nd half was 40 mins too.

It was 4-2 on 59 mins (I mean 54 mins) as Tottington started to dominate a bit. But Oldham Victoria scored what appeared to be direct from a corner - tough to see as the low sun was obscuring a good view of it. That was with about 15 mins to go of the 80.

It finished 4-3 and overall a good game, nice pleasant sunny evening at a new ground. Just needed a few park benches and a tea machine! It was (only) my 10th game of 2019 but the 1-0 goal was my 50th of the season, now up to 56, so another high scoring encounter to keep my goal average up.

(This post was edited by simonsm on Jul 18, 2019, 11:01 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 12:00 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gloucester City 4 Aberystwyth Town 0

Jubilee Stadium: Pre-Season Friendly

This was my first ever visit to the Jubilee Stadium, where Gloucester City have been tenants of Evesham United, following a rather nomadic existence after being forced to move from their Meadow Park home due to flooding a decade ago. The ground possesses a seated stand on the one side of the pitch, a covered standing area behind the goal closest to the entrance and a small stepped terrace at the opposite end. A building in the one corner houses a clubhouse, offices and a multitude of changing rooms for the variety of outside pitches. Gloucester City finished just above the relegation zone in the National League South last term and have now been transferred across to the northern section in the close season. The Tigers are unbeaten in their three pre-season fixtures thus far and drew 1-1 at step four Slimbridge in their previous outing. Aberystwyth Town finished mid-table in the Welsh Premier League last term, narrowly missing out on qualification for the end of season play-offs, and had drawn 2-2 at home to FAW Championship South outfit Llantwit Major last weekend.

The hosts had a early sight of goal when a free-kick on the edge of the Aberystwyth Town penalty area was parried by Ollie Fairbrother. The Seasiders' custodian made a brave save at the feet of an opponent in the 28th minute before the Tigers headed wide of the far post following a cross from left delivered into the dander area. Gloucester city eventually broke the deadlock on the stroke of the interval when Fabien Robert ran on to a through ball and calmly guided the ball past Fairbrother. The home team saw an effort cleared off the line from a tight angle six minutes after the interval before Fairbrother dropped a 58th minute corner and saw the loose ball scooped over the crossbar from close range. Gloucester City's pressure eventually paid dividends when their lead was eventually doubled in the 65th minute by Marlon Jackson following a neat passing move. The ball was then forced home at the far post when the Aberystwyth Town defence failed to clear a 69th minute corner and they completed the scoring a minute later after pouncing on a defensive error and Joe Parker was on hand to convert the rebound following an initial save by Fairbrother.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 73
Matches: 14
New Grounds: 4

Callum
Youth Team Sub

Jul 19, 2019, 1:04 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Rushden & Diamonds 0 Leyton Orient 1
Adm 8 att454
Bizarre mish mash of a ground , main stand out of bounds, crumbling 3 step terrace behind goal also out of bounds but around corner to main stand open and usuable! Then the ground gets rather tight round by the trees there’s a small atcost style stand here with Rushden and Higham badges on ,at the far end is a modern seated stand and the other side of that goal is a modern style terraced stand, presumably this ground wouldn’t currently make Step 2 standard?
Slow burner of a match which LO had arranged since Edinburgh’s sad passing. There was a minutes applause pre match. Fans raised over 800£ for JE3 Foundation so we’ll done them.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 19, 2019, 8:52 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #6 of 10 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Callum] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly
Crossgates Primrose v Civil Service Strollers, 0-1, H.T. 0-1, Att c.50, Admission by donation, No Paper, Coffee £1
At Humbug Park, Crossgates

As the rain pelted down at kick off I doubted whether this had been a wise decision. However, a few minutes later as the sun came out and the two teams served up a splendidly entertaining game, I knew that had chosen wisely!

Primrose were the surprise packets of the East of Scotland League last season, qualifying against the odds for the Premier Division. Given that they were almost oot the gemme a few years ago, spending a season in abeyance, it is a remarkable achievement. They owe much to sponsorship from Dick and Ian Campbell’s Avenue Group – the Arbroath management team are successful in business and have supported Crossgates, who are managed and coached by family members.

Strollers have also kicked on since establishing themselves in the Lowland League. Floodlights are currently going up at Christie Gillies Park, and the whole set up is a far cry from the Amateur outfit that used to stage Scottish Cup ties on a roped off pitch.

Both teams regarded this as a competitive fixture. There were no mass substitutions and no messing about – they got fired into each other from the first whistle. Strollers had spells of domination but it was actually the Primrose who impressed me more and they were very unlucky not to get a draw or better.

Humbug Park has had lot of improvements in recent years. Some are internal such as the swanky new changing rooms but the visiting fan benefits from the portacabin selling refreshments. There’s still no cover but that is something that will be addressed soon. The banking behind the far goal has bene tidied up and offers excellent elevated viewing. It’s flat standing on two other sides with the near goal being out of bounds.

Parking is fine for a game like this but not great for bigger games where you would have to allow for a few minutes walk. Crossgates is on the Number 19, football, jakey and junkie special that serves the bus route from Rosyth to Ballingry and all points in-between. If going by train then pick up the 19 at Dunfermline Town or Queen Margaret.

Just one pub left in Crossgates itself – the Crystal Bar, which is about five minutes brisk walk up the Main Street. The other worthwhile amenity in the town is Divito’s, a proper old-style Italian Ice Cream shop, between the ground and the pub.

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #7 of 10 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Europa League First Qualifying Round. 2nd leg. KO 20:00. Admission 15 Euro. Programme 4 Euro. Crowd 5000+

Shamrock Rovers 2 v 1 SK Brann (Aggregate 4-3)

Another dismal opening half with just one note worthy effort on target from Rovers. Both sides looked lethargic, little movement off the ball, crosses over hit etc.

Finally on 57 minutes the game came to life with a Brann goal, unfortunately soon after a Shamrock idiot in the crowd threw something at the Brann keeper which the referee collected and handed to the 4th official. On 76 minutes the place erupted as Rovers equalised, sparking an invasion of the pitch by a few mindless morons and others climbing over the barriers to join in. Further mayhem when the winner went in, more idiots on the field of play and a couple were marched from the ground by police. Stewards were ineffective and I would imagine Rovers will hear more about this from UEFA.

Enjoyable second half as a neutral though with the passion that is so oftem missing finally shining through. Apollon at home next Thursday apparently.

Also at this. Ticket purchased online after last weeks draw in Norway.

Abysmal first half but the second half was excellent after the first goal.
Arrived right on kick off but couldn’t find 2 seats together then heard an announcement they were opening a section over the far side so had a decent view of the two Shamrock goals from there.
Easy tram journey from the centre of Dublin which took around 40 minutes.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 19, 2019, 3:15 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #8 of 10 (856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was originally intending to be at Pennington v Stoneclough in the Atherton Charity Cup, but with the M62 and M60 at a standstill and it looking increasingly unlikely that I would get to there by KO,

This was where I ended up after originally intending to be at Hindsford v Atherton LR, but warnings of delays on the M61 meant it was unlikely I would get there by the 6:30 KO, so stayed on the M6 to J23 where I had an extra 30 minutes to get to

Atherton Charity Cup Group B
Pennington 2-1 Stoneclough
KO 7pm
h/c 39 - F + N

Much better game than Cove Rangers the previous night, the hosts took the lead in the 20th minute, a good finish from the number 7, the West Lancs League visitors levelled 10 minutes before half time. The winner came in the 65th minute, a thunderbolt from 30 yards which the keeper did well to palm onto the bar but another striker was on hand to scoop in the rebound. Hindsford beat Atherton LR 1-0 in the other game in this group. Watched in the company of a local hopper and committee member who says he used to post on here as Lollipop but can't find him in the member directory.

My first Manchester League Ground and a good set up, ground completely enclosed and pitch railed off on both sides and a hard standing path on two sides including behind the near goal where there is no barrier. Clubhouse and changing rooms behind this end in a modern Football Foundation building which replaced a previous building that caught fire I was told. A good variety of food was available from here including pie, peas and gravy. Ground has potential should Pennington wish to progress up the leagues and with few houses in sight shouldn't have too much trouble getting lights. A meadow beyond the mesh fence surrounds three sides of the ground with a large field in one corner which presumably will have more football pitches marked out when the season starts.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jul 19, 2019, 3:18 PM)

rabbie 77
Junior Team Sub

Jul 20, 2019, 7:19 PM

Team(s): Kilmarnock, Spartans

Post #9 of 10 (531 views)
Shortcut

Kilmarnock 0 v Connahs Quay Nomads 2 Europa League 1st Qualifying Round 2nd leg.

Attendance 8306 Entrance £20 Programme £3

Very decent home turnout for this one, counted 35 away fans most of whom had made the journey from North Wales, boosted by 3! from Inverness apparently.

Entrance was by an E-ticket, as per UEFA regulations. Great chance early on for CQ to pull back level on aggregate, spurred the home side into greater action, with Brass in the CQ goal pulling out some fine saves to leave the score at 0-0 at Half-time.

2nd half after the Nomads took a shock lead from a well worked move, it looked and felt like Killie had indeed run out of ideas, failing to trouble Brass. Couldn't see the Nomads scoring again until Insall was bundled over in the box for the penalty to edge them through 3-2 on aggregate and create arguably one of the finest if not the finest Welsh result in European football. Hugely disappointing night for Killie.

(This post was edited by rabbie 77 on Jul 21, 2019, 12:33 AM)

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2019, 7:57 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #10 of 10 (512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rabbie 77] Thursday, 18th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Weymouth Street, Warminster

Warminster Town 0(0) Bremerton Heath Harlequins 2(1)

Red & Black Striped Shirts/ Black Shorts Black & White Striped Shirts / White Shorts

Attendance 88

Admission £2 No Programmes

Bottle of Wickwar BOB £3.20

Yes another sunny evening for another Red & Blacks PSF. I thought that they might be more competitive against another Step 6 side but it was not to be. They were below par and struggled to create chances. Harlequins scored a goal in each half and were comfortable winners.

(This post was edited by sheffgeoff on Jul 20, 2019, 7:59 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3