Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 9, 2010, 12:22 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 25 (3197 views)
Shortcut
Unusual Friendlies . . Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to various Scottish websites:

Sunday March 14th
St Andrews United (Fife Juniors) v FC Ostersund (Sweden Div 1 North), 2.30pm.
Ostersund are managed by ex Dunfermline and Blackburn player Lee Makel.

Saturday May 22nd
East of Scotland League Select v England 'C'
at Ainslie Park (Spartans FC)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 10, 2010, 11:31 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #2 of 25 (3037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I couldn't find the blog where it mentioned representative friendlies.

My mate at work who watches all 3 of Ipswich Towns teams mostly at home has advised me that on Tuesday 16th March @ 1830 on the Training Ground using the floodlights (a rarity I believe), Ipswich Town Youths play Army. This is where Cranes previously played in the Suffolk & Ipswich League. He advised me its a different part of the ground. Knowing Ipswich Town switching matches I would phone to make sure if you do decide on travelling.

Jamesie
Deleted

Mar 14, 2010, 2:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 25 (2932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or

Sheffield FC v Pro Appio (Italy). Wednesday 17th March, 7:00pm. Admission free, programme being issued. Not one for the purists I know, but as there never seems to be any Wednesday evening fixtures in this neck of the woods, it could be one for those with nowt else to do. There will be a collection for the Boots for Africa charity, plus Pro Appio are bringing souvenirs and merchandise (so I am told) for sale to spectators.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 23, 2010, 7:25 PM

Post #4 of 25 (2764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Being in Spain yesterday meant I missed out on Woodbridge Town V IL Skarphedin of Norway's 4th tier. They just missed out on promotion. But on WTFC's website it mentioned that the Norwegians are playing at Cornard Utd on Thursday 25 March @ 1945. Their under 19 team are also over here & I think play Coplestonians at Woodbridge Town also on Thursday.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2019, 4:10 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #5 of 25 (2502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Atherton Collieries v Al-Ittihad, 8-time champions of Saudi Arabia next Wednesday (24th July), 7pm

http://athertoncollieries.co.uk/...i-arabian-champions/

(This post was edited by Leyther_Matt on Jul 18, 2019, 4:18 PM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jul 18, 2019, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #6 of 25 (2384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Next Tuesday, 23rd July, Halstead Town play The Parachute Regiment of the British Army.
Match at Rosemary Lane, 7.45. sorely tempted with this one.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 18, 2019, 7:51 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 25 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw South Liverpool thrash Qatari powerhouses Al Sadd, currently managed by Spanish legend Xavi, 4-0 in a pre-season friendly at Holly Park. This was back in 1983, before they were powerhouses. I might have to edit this onto their wiki page, seeing as it already mentions their friendly with Cheadle Town the previous year.

The other notable one was Tranmere's defeat of Gremio at Prenton Park in 1997. We thought we were getting the famous Gremio Paulista but it seems we weren't, although I'm not sure the confusion was ever fully explained. They were hopeless, their play-acting was comical and we beat them 2-0 I think, playing in third gear.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 2:19 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #8 of 25 (1952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the past I have seen some very odd ones. In 89 I was at Roots Hall one Monday night watching Southend lose 2-4 against IFK Gothenburg who were a very strong side at the time and had won the uefa cup only a few years previously.
I have also seen Orient play some very strange games. In 1995, having just finished about 7th bottom in the fourth tier, The Os beat the Welsh National team 2-1. Wales included Southall, Giggs, Hughes, Saunders etc and it was surreal to see Orients team which included a few trialists beat them.
That was surreal, but a pre season friendly in 1991 brought Real Valladolid to Brisbane Road, complete with Carlos Valderama, who was a joy to watch in the night. Despite his obvious skills he could not stop Orient winning by the only goal.
I have also seen Maccabi Tel Aviv (2008 ish, 1-3) and India, 1-1 at Brisbane Road since the turn of the century.

kirby knitters

Jul 21, 2019, 3:02 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #9 of 25 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yesterday saw Gibraltar club Europa Point FC win 2-0 at Boston Town.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 4:31 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #10 of 25 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Altrincham v Malawi 2-3 in 2002.

This was while the Commonwealth Games were taking part in Manchester, and many of the Malawi athletes turned up, rather late, to support their national football side. The FA had paid for a Malawi tour, no doubt to encourage a vote from the famine stricken nation (I remember there being a collection at the ground to which many donated generously) for a World Cup bid.
Malawi, who didn't field any players playing outside their country, won through a late winner, but, in context, this was a really poor Altrincham side who began the Northern Premier League season with three consecutive 4-0 defeats.

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 8:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 25 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't have a record of this one but I attended Sudbury Town 1-4 Panionios in either 1995 or 1996 (probably the latter). The Greek top flight team went easy on Sudbury, you got the feeling they could have scored as many as they liked.

There was an interview with a Panionios official on the PA pre-match, between the gentleman's broken English and the PA's own deficiencies it was an amusing waste of time.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

IWRBATP
Junior Team Regular

Jul 27, 2019, 9:29 AM

Team(s): Sudbury TOWN

Post #12 of 25 (1432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sudbury Town v Panionios was played on Saturday 24 July 1993 and did indeed end up in an easy 1-4 away win in front of a crowd I have recorded as 344.
The following season Sudbury Town played against two further Greek teams as follows.
Saturday 23 July 1994 Sudbury Town 1-3 Iraklis (attendance 300)
Tuesday 26 July 1994 Sudbury Town 2-2 Skoda Xanthi (attendance 287)
I cannot remember the connection involved as to why or how these friendlies were arranged. I do remember the old Everton manager Howard Kendall who the manager of one of the three teams and I took the opportunity to get a couple of FAC Final programmes signed by him for the matches against Liverpool. His comment of 'pity we lost those two matches' was quickly and politely responded to with 'not really Mr Kendall as the league team I support is Liverpool' was met by a wry smile and a quick handshake!

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Jul 27, 2019, 11:28 AM

Post #13 of 25 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IWRBATP] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to the two 1994 Sudbury Town games you mentioned. Thanks for attendances as I just had rough headcounts. I didn't do the 1993 match as I did a Lancashire Challenge Cup game at Burnley 4 Blackpool 3 followed by speedway. I never did get an attendance figure.

Going back to the Greek teams I also saw Panionios on 26/07/93 at Westerfield House Hotel (outskirts of Ipswich) against Colchester Utd. I only saw 2nd half as I was working close by in Martlesham Heath & went during my lunch hour. CU won 2-0, h/c 23.

On 31/07/93 I saw Woodbridge Town 1 Panionios 4, h/c 80 & 01/08/93 also at Westerfield House Hotel, Al Salmiya (Kuwait) 0 Panionios 4, h/c 60. I believe AS had connection with Bobby Ferguson.

On 29/07/94 I saw Colchester 1 Xanthi 1, approx att of 800.

Barely seen any details of any foreign sides playing locally for years. Last one was possibly 31/05/2008, Ipswich Wanderers 0 Antigua & Barbuda 2, Att 205.

dallas
Junior Team Regular

Jul 27, 2019, 11:52 AM

Team(s): wisbech west kirby worksop

Post #14 of 25 (1365 views)
Shortcut

I watched Worksop Town play Scotland U23 and lose 5-2 and also saw them play Saudi Arabia drawing 2-2. I think both games were in 1976. The BBC filmed a documentary about the Saudi tour of England Jimmy Hill was an advisor for the Saudi team.

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jul 27, 2019, 12:00 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 25 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IWRBATP] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Interesting thanks, shows how bad my memory of my childhood years is. Only the three years out!

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

prorege

Jul 27, 2019, 12:21 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #16 of 25 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dallas] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Worksop v Scotland game was against the Scottish Secondary Juveniles, an Amateur Under 21 side. A mate of mine actually played in it.

kirby knitters

Jul 27, 2019, 12:39 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #17 of 25 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was present at a couple of unusual games local to me a good few years ago.

July 90.
Hinckley Town v Red Star Belgrade.

August 91.
Friar Lane Old Boys v Real Valladolid. (Colombian international Carlos Valderrama graced the turf at Knighton Lane East that night!!)

Tim

Jul 27, 2019, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #18 of 25 (1322 views)
Shortcut

1 August 1979 - WBA v China

dallas
Junior Team Regular

Jul 27, 2019, 1:46 PM

Team(s): wisbech west kirby worksop

Post #19 of 25 (1317 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The Worksop v Scotland game was against the Scottish Secondary Juveniles, an Amateur Under 21 side. A mate of mine actually played in it.

I think this was a third friendly in an unusual series of friendly games that season as I remember the Scottish U23 team were professional players including Frank Gray of Leeds United.

spitfiredave
Youth Team Regular

Aug 1, 2019, 9:23 AM

Team(s): St Johnstone, Eastleigh & Hertha BSC

Post #20 of 25 (924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dallas] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

30 Jul 11 Havant & Waterlooville 0 Real Betis 7

Betis were meant to play Portsmouth but they were held up in the US by an aircraft problem (I seem to remember a ground handler had crashed a baggage truck into it & it needed repair)

Havant stepped in to fill the gap in the Spaniards schedule. Betis were obviously told to back off after being 0-5 up in about 20 minutes.
It was quite amusing watching Havant elderly defence trying to play the offside trap against the La Liga big boys

KnowYourMarket

Aug 1, 2019, 10:33 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #21 of 25 (720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

15th August 1986

WBA v Torpedo Moscow

Not that memorable or unusual I suppose but it was the first and only time I have been sick outside of The HawthornsTongue

buncranaboy

Aug 1, 2019, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #22 of 25 (712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
15th August 1986

WBA v Torpedo Moscow

Not that memorable or unusual I suppose but it was the first and only time I have been sick outside of The HawthornsTongue

How many times have you been sick inside The Hawthorns ?

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Aug 1, 2019, 10:59 PM

Post #23 of 25 (710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

13th June 1996
Cliftonville v South Korea, 0-5

A slightly surreal afternoon at a sunny Solitude as South Korea came to visit, primarily as a warm up for the Atlanta Olympics. There was even a healthy support for the visitors as unbeknownst to most of us one of the electronics companies had a lot of Korean secondees at one of their plants nearby.

There was a punch up late in the first half with the Korean sent off for spitting at the ref in the aftermath and a Cliftonville player subbed at the refs suggestion to ease tensions. The Koreans did start the second half with eleven players again though!

Tim

Aug 1, 2019, 11:29 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #24 of 25 (697 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
15th August 1986

WBA v Torpedo Moscow

Albion Pie?

KnowYourMarket

Aug 2, 2019, 2:25 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #25 of 25 (531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Unusual Friendlies . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Far too young then for pies, never understood them unless I had my Mom's home made one. I think groundhopping got me into pies!

As for being sick inside the Hawthorns, never done that but I did once puke on my mate's lap in 42nd Street in Halesowen. Strangely enough the girl I was chatting up was never to be seen againLaugh

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3