First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2019, 2:19 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #1 of 29 (7796 views)
Shortcut
Getting To Football 2019-20 Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have started work on the 2019-20 version of Getting To Football, so time for a new thread.

The new edition will have much the same format as before, although I've switched to a sans serif font because a few readers felt that the serif font used last season made the whole thing look too much like a maths textbook! There will be one major piece of new content this year, although for various reasons this will not be from the Start of Season edition. From the October edition, the Step 7 leagues in England will be included for the first time.

The aim is for the Start of Season edition to appear by the end of July, but a 0.1 edition is available now and exclusive to this forum. This edition includes the English leagues down to Step 5 together with the professional levels in the rest of these islands, but without a front cover or any coverage of other sports.

To see it, click here, if I've managed to do a link correctly! Corrections very welcome, as always.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 10:56 PM

Post #2 of 29 (7017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've put up a "silent" update this evening, version 0.2 of GTF 2019-20. Same URL as before, but if you've already downloaded v0.1 (45 pages), you may need to refresh to see v0.2 (90 pages).

Since version 0.1, the Step 6 leagues in England have been added, together with the Senior leagues in Scotland (including the North Caledonian League which hasn't been in before). Gaelic football, hockey, hurling, rugby league, and my favourite the shinty page are now up to date as well. All that's left to do is the Junior leagues in Scotland, the Level 3 leagues in Wales, and the rugby union pages, together with the table of contents and the endpapers.

The grounds which are easy and difficult to get to are in general the same ones they have always been, although one ground has become unexpectedly impossible: Irchester is to lose its bus service completely at the end of next week, so a trip to Irchester United is probably going to be a cab from Wellingborough in future.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2019, 3:43 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #3 of 29 (6904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The grounds which are easy and difficult to get to are in general the same ones they have always been, although one ground has become unexpectedly impossible: Irchester is to lose its bus service completely at the end of next week, so a trip to Irchester United is probably going to be a cab from Wellingborough in future.

Northamptonshire's website would suggest that whilst the existing service to Irchester is going, another route will be diverted through the town.

https://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/...service-changes.aspx

x46 instead of 49.

(This post was edited by Dr Love on Jul 20, 2019, 3:45 PM)

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 11:34 PM

Post #4 of 29 (6684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As of Friday that diversion of the X46 service via Irchester hadn't been registered - and I never believe any press release from a bus company until the service has been registered. But it now has been and it is as you say, so that will go in for the next release.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2019, 11:53 PM

Post #5 of 29 (6348 views)
Shortcut

Another silent update this evening. As before, the URL remains the same but you may need to refresh to see the new version which now has 107 pages. It includes the new bus service for Irchester mentioned above.

Since last week, the Junior leagues in Scotland and the Level 3 leagues in Wales have been added. Only the rugby union pages and the endpapers are still to be updated for 2019-20; these will be added next week when the first official version of GTF 2019-20 will be made available.

In the Scottish Juniors, it is no longer possible to get back from Maud. The bus from Ellon which I used to suggest no longer runs, and while there is another way to get there via Mintlaw, there is no return. On the upside, it is now possible to get back to Aviemore from Spey Valley Thistle's ground at Cromdale - at least, it is under summer schedules. I'll need to check that one again when the Highlands switch to winter schedules on 1 October.

In Welsh football, it is still not possible to get back from Llanfair Caireinion, Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, or Llansantffraid ym Mechain. In the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area), is Plas Madoc the same club that was formerly Cefn Albion, or a different club playing on the same ground in Cefn Mawr? That league will play one team short for this season because of the late withdrawal of FC Nomads of Connah's Quay, who will now run only junior and vets teams but no open age team.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 27, 2019, 2:26 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #6 of 29 (6272 views)
Shortcut

Plas Madoc is a different club. Cefn Albion are in the same division. AFAIK Albion groundshare at Cefn Druids and Plas Madoc play at The Muga.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 28, 2019, 10:50 PM

Post #7 of 29 (6069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Bantam Cymraeg. I now see that I have somehow missed Cefn Albion out of that division completely, which will be rectified for the next edition. Their website doesn't seem entirely sure where they play; it says The Muga in one place, The Rock in another, and Y Graig (which I think is Welsh for The Rock and hence the same place) in a third! I reckon you're right though, so The Rock it shall be.

Another change which I've learned about today, concerning Spartan South Midlands 1. London Tigers will not play at Northwood as last season, but at Amersham Town.

Hoofhearted
Youth Team Star

Jul 29, 2019, 9:33 PM

Post #8 of 29 (5939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Caledonian Braves (formerly Edusports) will play their Lowland League games at Alliance Park, Formerly Bothwellhaugh Playing Fields near Motherwell. The post code is ML1 3RB. It is just off the M74.

Senior82
Junior Team Regular

Jul 30, 2019, 2:38 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday, Stocksbridge Park Steels & Sheffield Eagles RLFC

Post #9 of 29 (5616 views)
Shortcut
Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My Rugby League musings

Wakefield Trinity - train to Wakefield Kirkgate is closer, and Sandal & Aggbrigg is closer still.

Interesting that you have Bolton station for Leigh, we always go to Wigan.

Sheffield Eagles - Attercliffe is a closer tram stop.

Toronto - there's a metro/subway stop near the stadium but can't remember the name.

North Wales - I went there a few sundays ago to Wrexham on the train and there was no problem. Maybe there was engineering works when you checked? Similarly with West Wales - I got in and out of Llanelli Saturday afternoon without problems

Featherstone Lions - Featherstone station should be fine on a Saturday. Just Sunday when it's empty.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 30, 2019, 11:15 PM

Post #10 of 29 (5342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoofhearted] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Caledonian Braves (formerly Edusports) will play their Lowland League games at Alliance Park, Formerly Bothwellhaugh Playing Fields near Motherwell. The post code is ML1 3RB. It is just off the M74.

Thanks for that. When I wrote the Scottish Lowland League page, the SLL website stated that they were still at Annan - but since last week it has been updated to Alliance Park so that change will go in. There are easier places than Alliance Park to reach by publc transport, and a mile's walk from the south end of Bothwell is the best you can do.

I'll come to the points on rugby league separately.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 31, 2019, 12:26 AM

Post #11 of 29 (5308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Senior82] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I shall respond to the points made in red.

In Reply To
My Rugby League musings

Wakefield Trinity - train to Wakefield Kirkgate is closer, and Sandal & Aggbrigg is closer still.
I hadn't actually realised that Sandal and Agbrigg had a half hourly Sunday service, and now that I know that it's going in as the suggested station.

Interesting that you have Bolton station for Leigh, we always go to Wigan.
Obviously which way you'd go depends to some extent where you're starting from, but the buses from Bolton are both quicker and more frequent on Sundays. Three buses per hour, 35 minutes journey time as against two buses per hour, 41 minutes journey time. It is mildly silly that Leigh Sports Village has no bus service the one day a week when anyone from outside Leigh might actually want to go there.

Sheffield Eagles - Attercliffe is a closer tram stop.
Yes it is, so that will go in.

Toronto - there's a metro/subway stop near the stadium but can't remember the name.
It's Exhibition station, which is about 10 minutes walk from the Lamport Stadium. In Britain I consider trams to be "trains" rather than "buses". Perhaps Toronto streetcars should be considered as closer to "buses", but the streetcar is more frequent than the train and goes right to the door.

North Wales - I went there a few sundays ago to Wrexham on the train and there was no problem. Maybe there was engineering works when you checked? Similarly with West Wales - I got in and out of Llanelli Saturday afternoon without problems.
There aren't many trains to Wrexham on Sundays though. Coming from Chester you'd either need to arrive ridiculously early or to run from Wrexham General to the stadium to get there on time, while if you're heading back towards Liverpool you'll be hanging around the rather depressing Wrexham Canolog for nearly two hours after the game. Llanelli has plenty of trains on Saturday afternoons, but Stebonheath Park is a long walk from the station and there are no buses at Llanelli station. If you're not up for a 25 minute walk - and many of my correspondents make it clear that they're not - then the bus from Swansea is more convenient. Incidentally, the same applies to a visit to Parc y Sgarlets for rugby union - the bus from Swansea avoids a long walk.

Featherstone Lions - Featherstone station should be fine on a Saturday. Just Sunday when it's empty.
Featherstone station is 0.9 miles from the Featherstone Lions ground on Wakefield Road, and only has one train per hour on Saturdays. So it's usually going to be quicker to take the bus from Wakefield, which runs every 10 minutes.

AndyE
First Team Star

Aug 2, 2019, 2:50 PM

Post #12 of 29 (4923 views)
Shortcut

The first official edition of GTF 2019-20 is now available. Thanks to all those from this forum and elsewhere who have provided information and corrections. Any errors which may remain are down to me, but please let me know about them so that they can be corrected for the next edition which should appear at the start of October. I'm planning to spend most of August watching cricket so I may not reply at once - but all comments received get read and taken into account.

The bus which featured on last season's front cover was from Portsmouth Corporation Transport. I've got half a dozen similar photos lined up for the coming years, but there may be a bonus point for the identity of the operator of this season's cover pinup.

So if anyone is still using their green March and April edition of GTF 2018-19, it's time to upgrade to the pale blue August and September edition. It can be found here.

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 4:43 PM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #13 of 29 (4627 views)
Shortcut

Great work Andy.
Health of my good lady permitting I'm looking at knocking a few ticks/bracketed ticks off this season in midweek so this is a great help
Thank you

LS Sofa Bear
Junior Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Chester FC , Non League in General

Post #14 of 29 (4049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Andy
Couple of things regarding Northern Ireland

PSNI - sharing with Queens University
Lurgan Celtic - Withdrawn from league

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 18, 2019, 2:03 PM

Post #15 of 29 (3860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LS Sofa Bear] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just started looking at this, another absolutely fantastic piece of work, well done Andy. Just got as far as checking what I have down to Step 3

Taunton Town's stadium is now known as the "Cygnet Health Care Stadium" replacing the Viridor sponsorship deal.

One very very minor point, Havant & W and Hampton & RB are the wrong way around alphabetically in the National League South page.

AndyE
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2019, 11:35 PM

Post #16 of 29 (3792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LS Sofa Bear] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks LS Sofa Bear and Richard. PSNI's move must be the shortest distance from its own ground that any club has entered into a groundshare!

I suspect that there are other errors in alphabetical order to go with the one that Richard has spotted, so if anyone finds one please shout.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 1, 2019, 1:51 PM

Post #17 of 29 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Steeton (North West Counties Div 1 North) - postcode should start BD21 not BS21.

(This post was edited by Richard Rundle on Sep 1, 2019, 1:52 PM)

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 2, 2019, 12:33 PM

Post #18 of 29 (3136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Richard, well spotted. BS21 is Clevedon, and Steeton FC really don't play in Clevedon. Neither do Keighley Cougars RLFC, whose entry contains the same postcode error.

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2019, 10:31 PM

Post #19 of 29 (2143 views)
Shortcut

The next edition of GTF will be published next Friday, 4 October. It's going to be vomit green this time!

The major new content for that next edition will be the Step 7 leagues in England. I've now written draft versions of the 47 new pages, and you can see those draft pages here.

The Step 7 league pages were harder to compile than most of the others. A lot of the clubs don't have websites, even some of those who do have websites don't appear entirely sure where their ground is (of those who state postcodes, more are wrong than are right), some of the more basic grounds are not obvious on Google Maps, and of course the rubbishness of the super new improved Full Time is well known around here. So it's very likely that some of the new information is wrong. Please shout if you spot anything that's not right!

Since a lot of Step 7 teams are based in villages, it's unsurprising that there are a number which just can't be done by public transport. They are: Allscott Heath (West Midlands (Regional)), Belstone (Hertfordshire Senior County), Bradenham Wanderers (Anglian Combination), Charlton United (Oxfordshire Senior), Chesterton (Oxfordshire Senior), Finchampstead (Thames Valley Premier), Frampton United (Gloucestershire County), Hemingfords United (Cambridgeshire Co), Holt United (Dorset Premier), Ide Hill (Kent County), Kettering Nomads (Northamptonshire Combination), Lanreath (St Piran East), Louth Town (Lincolnshire), Maidenhead Town (Thames Valley Premier), Mundford (Anglian Combination), Parson Drove (Peterborough and District), Retford United (Central Midlands North), Spratton (Northamptonshire Combination), TD Shipley (Southern Combination), Tiptree Engaine (Essex and Suffolk Border), Wallington (Northern Alliance), West Wratting (Cambridgeshire County), and Winchester Castle (Hampshire Premier).

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 24, 2019, 11:05 PM

Post #20 of 29 (2126 views)
Shortcut

For Winchester Castle wouldn't the Stagecoach 64 bus between Alton and Winchester do the job. The stop at Quarry road is about a 0.8 mile walk via what looks to be tarmaced/concrete/stone paths.

There is a more direct cross country path from the same route stopping at St Swithun's School.

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2019, 1:18 AM

Post #21 of 29 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't see a way to do it without trespassing. From the Quarry Road stop, I can see footpaths south to the M3 and over it via footbridge, and then a footpath which runs along the southern boundary of the ground and then to Chilcomb. But to get into the ground via that route, you'd need to get the other side of a hedge - which may or may not be feasible, but certainly isn't what you'd call allowed.

Another possibility would be stay on the bus a few more stops and get off at the Science Centre stop by the Holiday Inn. From there you could walk to the ground along the A31, but a) it's 1.5 miles which is further than I consider as walking distance, b) only part of the relevant section of the A31 has a footpath, and it's not a road you'd want to walk along otherwise, and c) you just wouldn't go that way when the ground is only 2 miles from Winchester city centre.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 25, 2019, 6:33 AM

Post #22 of 29 (2070 views)
Shortcut

After crossing the M3 there is a path off to the right which bends down to the A31. Under the bridge you've just crossed and the footpath then follows the A31, bearing right at the roundabout onto the A272.

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2019, 3:37 PM

Post #23 of 29 (1993 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Dr Love, I think I've found it now. I just can't see anyone doing it, though. You'd need to board a bus at the King Alfred Statue, which is 15 minutes walk from the railway station. You'd take the bus three stops, scheduled journey time 2 minutes, and then have a 16 minute walk to the ground. Anyone who was happy to do that amount of walking would probably just walk all the way.

But ... after writing that sentence, I looked to see if those who did choose to walk all the way could take a shorter route. They could indeed, via the Highcliffe Estate - and the Highcliffe Estate is served by a bus route which also serves the station. Accordingly, I've revised the entry to say this:

Winchester Castle Hampshire County Council Sports Ground, Petersfield Road, Winchester, Hampshire SO21 1HB
Winchester 2 miles.
Stagecoach 4 from Winchester (Station) to Winchester (Fivefields Road, Gordon Avenue) at 1219, 1319, 1419, journey time 15 minutes, return at 1643, 1753 (last). Return bus runs from same stop and runs only to Winchester (Bus Station, 15 minutes walk from station).
Then continue along Fivefields Road, over roundabout, and at end walk forward and use footbridge to cross M3, then on far side of M3 go R and R to pass back under footbridge and head north, R at roundabout Petersfield Road, then R onto driveway and at fork go L to ground (11 minutes).

Loiner
First Team Star

Sep 26, 2019, 11:39 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #24 of 29 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Re Weetwood Sports Park for Headingley (WY) and Leeds Medics(YAL)
The X84/85 Buses are limited stop and DO NOT SET DOWN before the outer Ring Road.
The pitch used by Headingley is near the Oxley Residences and can be accessed by a footpath from Otley Road.
Leeds Medics use pitch 1 which is close to Weetwood Lane with a stop for First 28 near the entrance. This service should be using the Railway Station Interchange from the 30th (next Monday).

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 27, 2019, 2:45 PM

Post #25 of 29 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Getting To Football 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Loiner. I've taken X84 and X85 out of the Headingley entry, and also out of the entries for Leeds Hockey Club who play in the same complex. All GTF entries involving buses in Leeds have been re-checked for the October edition, because of buses being rerouted while The Headrow is partially closed.

Bus 28 which goes along Weetwood Lane for the pitch used by Leeds Medics and Dentists is less frequent than the buses along Otley Road, but it's going in all the same. For one thing it runs from the station (or will do as from Monday), and for another thing the short walk from the bus stop to the pitch involves passing shamelessly through a no entry sign. This appeals to my inner rebel !

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3