Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Other British Isles Football:
William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 3, 2019, 9:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #101 of 111 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
R4 TV picks :
Friday 17 Jan 7:45pm, Premier Sports, The Rangers v Stranraer (ridiculous!, but sadly predictable)
Saturday 18 Jan 5:30pm, Premier Sports, Partick Thistle v Celtic
Saturday 18 Jan 7:20pm, BBC Scotland, Dundee v Motherwell
Sunday 19 Jan 3pm, BBC 1 Scotland, Dundee United v Hibs

The Dundee Saturday Morning League will be on its winter break (until 1st Feb), but with a bit of imagination trebles should be achievable.

I need both Aberdeen and Dundee and this sounds like a good opportunity to tick both in one day-trip but I have heard that getting away from Aberdeen can be an extremely painful exercise. Should I be able to make it to Dens Park in reasonable time ?

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 3, 2019, 11:24 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #102 of 111 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
R4 TV picks :
Friday 17 Jan 7:45pm, Premier Sports, The Rangers v Stranraer (ridiculous!, but sadly predictable)
Saturday 18 Jan 5:30pm, Premier Sports, Partick Thistle v Celtic
Saturday 18 Jan 7:20pm, BBC Scotland, Dundee v Motherwell
Sunday 19 Jan 3pm, BBC 1 Scotland, Dundee United v Hibs

The Dundee Saturday Morning League will be on its winter break (until 1st Feb), but with a bit of imagination trebles should be achievable.

I need both Aberdeen and Dundee and this sounds like a good opportunity to tick both in one day-trip but I have heard that getting away from Aberdeen can be an extremely painful exercise. Should I be able to make it to Dens Park in reasonable time ?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It would be tight. Theoretically an hour and a quarter if nobody on the road. You've only got double that to do it in.
Parking in the streets around Pittodrie is limited and they're ready with their Fixed Penalty Notices (I got one earlier this season on a Europa League night) so there's a few minutes' walk just to get back to wherever you have managed to park the car, before then being stuck in the post-match traffic itself, and you then have to go through and escape from the city centre, at end-of-Saturday-shopping time.
No putting the foot down on the dual carriageway to gain some time - it's average speed cameras all the way between Aberdeen & Dundee (plus one part by Laurencekirk is 50).
Not only the log jam getting away from Pittodrie, you've also got to find parking at the Dens Park end, which isn't easy, so you would probably need to allow for a few minutes' walk there too.
It's actually quicker to walk back to the city centre from Pittodrie (pedestrians on the footpath overtake the cars) 25-30 minutes. On the flat then downhill to the railway station for a train that would get out of the city centre quicker than a car would at that time. If you're a speed-walker, you might make it onto the 1715 that arrives in Dundee at 1822. Next one is 1739->1853. Uphill from Dundee railway station to Dens Park though, so get a taxi, which also solves the finding-nearby-parking problem.
At your own risk / be prepared to miss KO.
I'd say do a Junior/EoSFL etc match first. East & North Junior, + LFL, fixtures not yet out for that day. West Junior & EoSFL are. Still 1:45 KOs in the West so plenty of time to get to Dens even after one on that side. Prioritize Craigroyston in the EoSFL if you still need them.
Good luck!

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 4, 2019, 8:03 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #103 of 111 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Round 3
Brora Rangers 1-3 Greenock Morton

buncranaboy

Dec 4, 2019, 6:33 PM

Post #104 of 111 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that Phil; I also need Brechin which should be doable fairly comfortably so discretion being the better part of valour etc....

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 4, 2019, 6:58 PM

Post #105 of 111 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thanks for that Phil; I also need Brechin which should be doable fairly comfortably so discretion being the better part of valour etc....
________________________________________________________________________________________

So you've got an alternative fixture lined up for Saturday 15th May? I would have thought you might be 'saving' Brechin City for that day - strong possibility they'll be Club42 receiving the Candidate Club in the 2nd leg of the playoff.

paulh66

Dec 4, 2019, 7:14 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #106 of 111 (1001 views)
Shortcut

Wouldn't it be better to park to the north of Pittodrie and head back to the ring road that way? Or even go out past the airport to join the A90 there? It'd add a couple of miles to the journey but avoids the traffic jam back towards the city centre.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Dec 4, 2019, 7:19 PM)

buncranaboy

Dec 4, 2019, 7:34 PM

Post #107 of 111 (986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is that an option as it's been pointed out to me that Brechin's scheduled opponents are still in the cup ?

paulh66

Dec 4, 2019, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #108 of 111 (936 views)
Shortcut

Sorry I was referring to getting out of Aberdeen handily to make Dundee on time.

Soccerway does indeed have Brechin as postponed that day.

Incidentally I found a decent parking spot for Dundee in one of the side roads just north of Clepington Road, about five minutes walk from the ground (downhill....so about ten minutes to get back to the car after the match!). The lads on here will know better than me but on that particular night it was easy getting to and away from there.

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 4, 2019, 9:36 PM

Post #109 of 111 (935 views)
Shortcut

That's not a bad shout from Paul, actually.
I'll PM you Paddy.

Steelback
First Team Star

Dec 5, 2019, 2:18 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #110 of 111 (768 views)
Shortcut

I parked on Coldside Road when doing Dundee United on a Friday night in 2016, 7-8 min walk to the ground. Cove Rangers are at home before the Dundee game which being south of Aberdeen should allow an easy get away after the game. Google Maps suggests 1 hour 15 mins, 62 miles between the two.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

buncranaboy

Dec 5, 2019, 2:28 PM

Post #111 of 111 (762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] William Hill Scottish Cup 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good call Steelback. Cheers.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3