prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 9, 2019, 7:38 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 7 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 9th June 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Juniors League Cup Final
Pumpherston v Fauldhouse United, 3-1,JH.T. 1-0, Att c,500, Admission £7, No programmes, Coffee £1
At Volunteer Park, Armadale

In contrast to yesterday’s cagey final between Beith and Rob Roy this was an open game from the start with both teams fully committed to attack. Pumphy had the best of the first half and could have been more than one goal ahead at the break although they did look vulnerable at times at the back.

Hoose started the second half well and equalised during a 20 minute spell of dominance. However, towards the end it was Pumphy who came through strong and secured a rare Cup win with two late goals.

Volunteer Park was a great venue for the game with the sizeable crowd enjoying the sun-drenched conditions. Usual Junior goings on with an inured referee and a Fauldhouse fan chucking a can at a Pumphy player but that’s what we expect. Credit also to the Pumphy defender who “accidentally” booted the ball into the pus of a spectator giving him abuse from the sidelines.

It was good to see unfancied teams in a Cup Final, even if it has come about due to the mass defections to the seniors. Pumpherston have been a well run club for a number of years now and deserve their day in the sun.

That brings the curtain down on the Junior season for 2018/19 – a season which has not been one of the most memorable. West Junior football badly needs an injection of ambition and an end to the one-club dominance it has suffered from in recent years. The East Juniors are a shadow of their former selves – only Tayside really retains a decent standard. The East Juniors south of the Tay have little to offer. In the North it is slightly better picture with everybody reasonably happy with the current set up although the monopoly on trophy wins enjoyed by Banks o’ Dee is starting to get monotonous.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 9, 2019, 9:16 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 7 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 9th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coupe de France (2019/20) Round Two.
Entente Sportif Petits Anges 1-2 Aulnay CSL
Admission Free, Attendance ~50

ESPA play way down at Departmental 4 level in France (Hauts de Seine). That is tier 12 of the pyramid. There are areas of France which do not go down to tier 12, and it is a level of football I would not generally travel to watch.

But this is the end of the season, or the start of the next and this is the Coupe de France, and of course, this is the Complex Sportif Emile Anthoine.

Actually, the ground is fairly ordinary - a city centre location with a plastic pitch within a running track attached to a gym and a swimming pool. There is a side area with a concrete pitch and some basketball nets on the surface behind the goal with kids playing ball throughout.

Close to the entrance there is a flat area, with three steps down to the pitch. The stepped area is only a quarter of the pitch length, but it is where most of the ground are settled. There is no covered accomodation

Dressing rooms are in both the main sports centre, and a single story building behind the south goal.

As the pitch is marked out for two small cross pitches and each of these has fencing behind the foldaway goals, the general viewing area does not have a perfect view of the pitch. Still no one cared when I moved later onto the track to get better pictures.

The one thing you did get a good view of is the tower in the neighbouring Champ-de-Mars park. The Tower was built in 1889 and was the tallest man made structure in the World for 41 years prior to the Chrysler Building in New York being built.

The viewing platforms of the Tower provide good views of the ground, and there are many available for anyone doing a quick google search. The ground is also on the open top tourist bus routes which pass along the road.

It is easy to get to with the RER line C station, Champ-de-Mars Eiffel Tower being just outside. The gate closest to the station was not in use and access was through the sports centre on the west side (i.e. away from the Eiffel Tower).

There had been a youth tournament played in the morning, with some catering set up behind the north goal. When I arrived, the first thing I noticed was the smell of sausages frying, but then I was directed around the ground to enter and thinking I was only a few minutes before kick off, I immediately went in search of the referee and team lists.

I was a little suprised that he did not have everything when I found him, thinking it was five minutes to kick off - but it turned out the game was not starting as the fff website said (14.30), but instead at 15.00

Incidentally, it was the first time I had been to a game in France using club linesmen.

Due to the youth event, a table had been set up behind the spectators on the steps, and this was connected to a sound system - two speakers by the table, and one pitch side. Apart from allowing a tier 12 side to make standard announcements, our hosts were also providing some commentary on the game.

This improved the entertainment on what, to be honest was a poor game of football.

While ESPA had finished fourth in their tier 12 league, Aulnay were playing at tier 7 - but struggling there. They finished second to bottom so I expect to see their name at Regional 3 (tier 8) next season.

Aulnay were clearly the better of the two sides, but did not appear to be bothered as to whether the result would show this or not. The first half consisted of a number of powder puff efforts from the visitors and an occasional flourish from the home side which did not trouble the keeper.

I was having visions of a long wait for a penalty shoot out as I investigated the food stall at the break. Although they had ceased cooking and selling food by this time, they still had quite a bit available and were slightly bemused by the fact I could not say what I wanted in French.

They offered me a slice of flan, and a plastic cup of Rose wine, which was most acceptable - especially as they did not want any money.

The second half of the game was a bit better than the first, with ESPA breaking the deadlock early in the period. The goal came from a corner which was knocked on and then finished off from short range by Brahima Diabira.

Frankly, this made very little difference to the game from Aulnay's perspective - they carried on being better but not looking to care what happened. I suspect at the end of long and unsuccesful season, many of the players will be leaving the club after this game, so they are not concerned about the third round game in September. This is despite the cup at the start of this season being their one consolation. They made it to the fifth round (where tier 3, National teams enter), and went into the game wearing the kit that is provided by the sponsors in the latter rounds.

ESPA, by contrast were in mixture of shades of light blue. The shirts, which looked new were a bright, almost Turquoise shade, the shorts were a standard sky blue, while socks were very faded suggesting seasons of washing before this game.

Back to the game, where Aulnay did not improve, but did get lucky - with an apparent hand ball on the edge of the penalty area. Protests all around, with our commentator adding "NON! NON! NON!"

It seemed an age before the penalty was actually taken, but it was safely tucked away by subsitute Keba Sylla. Two minutes later, and ESPA made the cardinal mistake of a substitution on conceding a corner. The corner was only half cleared and fell to Sylla whose shot may have been deflected but ended up in the net.

ESPA rallied and tried hard in the final ten minutes, but to no avail. Sylla should have completed his hat-trick when being put through on a break, but managed to find the keeper rather than a goal

I am now on nice round numbers, 150 games for the season, 125 new grounds but I may yet add one of next weeks Cup games close to Paris or a Women's World Cup game to my total.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Jun 9, 2019, 9:31 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 9, 2019, 9:58 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 7 (1387 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
East Juniors League Cup Final
Pumpherston v Fauldhouse United, 3-1,JH.T. 1-0, Att c,500, Admission £7, No programmes, Coffee £1
At Volunteer Park, Armadale

In contrast to yesterday’s cagey final between Beith and Rob Roy this was an open game from the start with both teams fully committed to attack. Pumphy had the best of the first half and could have been more than one goal ahead at the break although they did look vulnerable at times at the back.

Hoose started the second half well and equalised during a 20 minute spell of dominance. However, towards the end it was Pumphy who came through strong and secured a rare Cup win with two late goals.

Volunteer Park was a great venue for the game with the sizeable crowd enjoying the sun-drenched conditions. Usual Junior goings on with an inured referee and a Fauldhouse fan chucking a can at a Pumphy player but that’s what we expect. Credit also to the Pumphy defender who “accidentally” booted the ball into the pus of a spectator giving him abuse from the sidelines.

It was good to see unfancied teams in a Cup Final, even if it has come about due to the mass defections to the seniors. Pumpherston have been a well run club for a number of years now and deserve their day in the sun.

Also at this, a ground I'd previously seen from the outside but have been determined to see a game at for several years. A former Scottish League ground nearly a century ago, it's another Juniors belter with all the trimmings - big terraced enclosure, stepped terracing and grass banking behind the goal, wonky terracing down the side and original brick walled surrounds. A must for any discerning ground enthusiast and, for me, an unexpected bonus after I thought my season had ended a fortnight ago at Wembley.

All well covered as usual by prorege. Decent game but two teams of limited quality, especially in the final third. Right team won. Wasn't sure if the ref was injured - he sprinted off as if he urgently needed the facilities but came back on with something in his hand then seemed to be tending to the liner, as if he was replacing a communication device. And the hefty clearance into the big Fauldhouse fan's ample girth was priceless, as was the volley of abuse he hurled in response to the defender's efforts to apologise!

Surprised, though I probably shouldn't have been at this time of year, to bump into catchagogoal just before kick off. His headcount, complete with clicker in hand, came to 494, although as he didn't spot prorege I'll plump for 495. And very grateful to him for the lift back to the station, saving me a 25 minute walk (with uphill bits) in the afternoon sun.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 9, 2019, 10:02 PM)

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2019, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #4 of 7 (806 views)
Shortcut

Days like this are what this hobby is all about. Absolutely superb !
Yorkieexile, Veteran and I, had thought we might be having to make do with a Moray Welfare revisit to get our fix of fitba today. But scottsas had fed a fixture in his neck of the woods to the excellent Scottish Football Fixtures wordpress site, which we had therefore spotted. Alerting Scott that we'd be doing that one, he came up with some morning action suggestion for us too, and he joined us at the lot :

Airdrie & Coatbridge AFL, BE Teamwear Development League (but adults of all stages of wrinkliness, not just age-restricted to yoofs)
The multi-schools, multi-pitch mega venue in Coatbridge :
Pitch 1 cage 3G (Buchanan HS pitch), 11am : Coatbridge United 2-1 Eastend Heart f&n, h/c 9
spectator walkway railed both sides, separation from immediately adjacent
Pitch 2 cage 3G (St Ambrose HS pitch), 11am : Symington Tinto 2-2 Greendorrat f&n, h/c 17

Whilst purists Yorkieexile & Veteran refused to acknowledge anything other than pitch 1's game, scottsas and I were happily in radar-on mode hoovering up both. And in Scott's case, also plane-spotting the flights overhead. This REALLY was what simultaneous match watching is all about - it would have been silly to focus on just one, since the two games had a direct impact on each other. On pitch 2, Greendorrat could win the league with a win, if rivals Eastend Heart (no 's') lost on pitch 1. As Greendorrat went 1-0 and 2-0 behind, the biggest celebrations weren't by their opponents but by the Eastend Heart subs & manager on pitch 1. But then Eastend fell behind to mute their celebrations. And then drew level. Before on the other pitch, Greendorrat came back into it in the 55th and equalized in the 79th. A minute later (but in their 77th, due to the slight difference in 2nd-half KO times) Eastend went 2-1 down. As pitch 2's ended 2-2, all the players piled over to the spectator barrier to watch the tense end to pitch 1's action. But try as they might, Eastend just couldn't avoid defeat.

So it all goes to the last match ...which is the direct meeting - Greendorrat vs Eastend Heart.

Note that pitch 3 (grass) alongside is properly named Townhead Park. And there are further cages round the back of the multi-schools building. One of them was in use today for a further 11am fixture in this league. And as our matches ended, others were coming on for 1pm uses of these facilities.

Not very far down the motorway, following Scott's car in convoy to :

Airdrie & Coatbridge Sunday AFL - title decider
Lesmahagow AFC 7-4 Bullfrog
at The Glebe, Lesmahagow.
f&n, h/c 482 - Yes! - four hundred and eighty-two !!

An excellent venue. Set below the main road high above, from where spectators were packed all along the pavement railings. Sweeping grass banking down. Flat grass standing on the other three sides, the trees behind edging the brook on the other side of which is Lesmahagow Juniors' fantastic ground Craighead Park. We arrived early, and took a stroll there. It looks 'nude' with the terrace's cover removed for repair though. I sincerely hope that it will be returned - Craighead Park wouldn't be the same spectacle without it.

We completed our walking circuit over the footbridge to The Glebe, to find 'Drunken Duncan' had also come along. Others there too who Scoot knew but I didn't. Just amazing how many locals had turned out for this one. Unbeleievable! Yes, it was a title decider, but only for a Sunday amateurs league for goodness' sake! Yet what seemed like the whole of the town had descended on the park. From babes in arms to pensioners, and all ages in between. A large group of ultras too. Flags were being waved, Buckie bottles were being swigged from. Such was the whole-town turnout it had the feeling of village fete day. I did a walkaround h/c shortly after KO and got 330. Yet still they were streaming across from town! Scott's later h/c amassed 482. Bullfrog, from Motherwell, are a well-supported club too, and their contingent was sizeable. Both camps had pinned out their banners ahead of battle. Bullfrog are funded by Celtic player Kieran Tierney, by all accounts a down-to-earth guy who remembers his roots and his mates' Sunday fitba. Scott says he even appears at the Development level that we were at in the morning. He didn't seem to be at this afternoon's though. Pity for him - he missed an absolute belter, and in the sunshine too.

Lesmahagow had to win to win the league. For Bullfrog, a draw would be enough to be champions.

Only 2 minutes in, and the hosts (in blue) took the lead. The crowd went wild. A blue-smoke flare was let off. 6 minutes, and Lesmahagow won a pen. But the Bullfrog keepr saved it. Time for those on the other side of the pitch to celebrate. Even more so on 23 when they equalized - so were champions elect. 34mins, Lesmahagow back in front again - they en route to the title, another blue-smoke flare. And so it remained until the 51st when Bullfrog again drew level and had the advantage in the title chase. 3-2 six minutes later and 4-2 four after that (61) surely had swung things irretrievable in the home side's favour? But Bullfrog weren't giving up. Still they powered on. Back to 4-3 after 67. Both sides in all out attack mode. On 70, a Lesmahagow attack was hooked off the line, but the well-placed ref adjudged it to have already crossed for 5-3. No need for VAR replays on the giant electronic scoreboard (ahem! - but felt like it was such a major fixture that it deserved to have one). We had thought that for such an important bumper fixture, the league could have allocated the ref some assistants. But had there been any, they would have had no chance of running a line - the touchline spectators were often five yards onto the pitch to see action up the other end, and every Lesmahagow goal was met with a pitch invasion. Superb stuff ! Still we weren't done - Bullfrog again noarrowed the gap to just one with a pen for 5-4 on 86. As expected, there was a kerfuffle when the keeper blocked the forward from retrieving the ball quickly from the back of the net - they only needed one more to lift the title. A risky strategy by the goalie since he was already on a yellow. But he needn't have worried - up the other end his forward immediately restored the two-goal cushion at 6-4, and one more in stoppage time for 7-4 makes it look like Bullfrog were easily beaten. Oh no they weren't! What an absolute thriller.

And good to see that the losers took it well. For a while we had feared that there might be unsavoury scenes between over-lubricated sets of ultras at the end, and positioned ourselves for a safe getaway at the final whistle. No need to have had such concern.

We were all on an adrenalin high during the three-hour drive back up to my place. A FANTASTIC day out that will live long in the memory.

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 PM)

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 13, 2019, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #5 of 7 (506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Sunday 9th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is the multi-schools complex to which scottsas had taken us on Sunday morning!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...nd-politics-48622714

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 13, 2019, 9:38 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #6 of 7 (463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Sunday 9th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
This is the multi-schools complex to which scottsas had taken us on Sunday morning!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...nd-politics-48622714

Hope you didn't get a drink of water out of a tap.

scottsas
Youth Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 1:55 AM

Post #7 of 7 (366 views)
Shortcut

A most entertaining day, games swinging every way, glad you all enjoyed it.I have seen Lesmahagow AFC about 5/6 times this season with home crowds of 245 and 233 (this one at Craighead Park, Colpic also in attendance), and 410 in the national semi final, so to get an incredible c500 for a Sunday amateur game, very much a 'gala day' feel about it, and tribal at that! #Scenes as they say!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3