INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule'

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 7, 2019, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 6 (679 views)
Shortcut
EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule' Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see the EFL has introduced its own 'Rooney Rule' at today's AGM, meaning clubs will now need to ensure at least one black, Asian or ethnic minority candidate is interviewed for any managerial role that becomes vacant: https://www.efl.com/...elp-improve-equality

Interesting to see what, if any, impact it has. Although I'm not one for quotas it's hard to see a downside to this.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 7, 2019, 11:58 PM

Post #2 of 6 (618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I see the EFL has introduced its own 'Rooney Rule' at today's AGM, meaning clubs will now need to ensure at least one black, Asian or ethnic minority candidate is interviewed for any managerial role that becomes vacant: https://www.efl.com/...elp-improve-equality

Interesting to see what, if any, impact it has. Although I'm not one for quotas it's hard to see a downside to this.

Itís a sad, sorry state of affairs if this rule is necessary.

Best person for the job IMO; Black, white, male, female, gay, straight. Doesnít matter to me.

paulh66

Jun 8, 2019, 12:11 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 6 (611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, apparently it is to address a sad, sorry state of affairs. Note the rule does not affect the club in appointing the best person for the job.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 8, 2019, 9:32 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 6 (567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was rather worried the rule meant that Wayne Rooney had to be interviewed for every job

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

villan
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2019, 3:17 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #5 of 6 (343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So does this mean if a club invite applications for a managers job & no one applies from the categories listed they have to seek one out?

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 6

paulh66

Jun 12, 2019, 9:32 PM

Post #6 of 6 (260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] EFL introduces 'Rooney Rule' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So does this mean if a club invite applications for a managers job & no one applies from the categories listed they have to seek one out?

It's a bit unclear but I don't believe so, partly because I'm not sure it'd be practical (though that's not a given these days..) but also because it talks about being mandatory when clubs consider applicants. They could always drag in John Barnes though - he's been vocal about it and, with his track record in management, he'd probably appreciate an interview..

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3