prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

May 28, 2019, 7:59 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 5 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Monday 27th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Juniors Consolation Cup Quarter Final
Luncarty v Dundee North End, 3-3, H.T. 0-0, 3-4 pens, Att c. 80, Admission Ł5, No paper, Steak Pie and Vimto Ł3
At Brownlands Park, Luncarty

This was a bit of a slow burner. After a goalless first half in which both teams played good football without a cutting edge, the game burst into life after half time. Six goals, one red card, two missed penalties, a penalty shoot out, numerous off the ball incidents and a fight at the end of the game – this was Junior football at its best.

Luncarty and North End have bee the two top teams in the East Juniors Lower Division North this season and have developed quite a rivalry. Consequently, a relatively low key Consolation Cup tie turned into something being contested by Champions League proportions.

The home side took the lead shortly after the break but North End were quickly back level. The visitors then had the chance to go in front from the penalty spot but the kick was saved by the Luncarty keeper. The goal was simply delayed, with North End going 2-1 in front shortly afterwards. It didn’t take Luncarty long to get level at 2-2 and they were 3-2 ahead in the 70th minute. North End got another penalty two minutes later but this one was skied out of the ground, last seen winging its way towards Bankfoot. Luncarty were reduced to ten men – the player conceding the stonewall penalty having earned a second yellow for his efforts. A sweeping North End move led to a great cross and finish to level things at 3-3 in the 88th minute. A penalty shoot out ensued with North End winning that 4-3.

As the players headed for the pavilion a fight broke out between a North End player and a fairly elderly Luncarty supporter with lots of others piling in. The game itself had been punctuated with feuds and clashes which the hard pressed referee had to deal with as best as he could. In the absence of linesmen he would have required 360 degree vision to keep up with all that was going on.

It was brilliant stuff at one of my favourite venues. Luncarty may not be the most developed grounds but it takes all the basics for enjoying a game of football. The Steak Pie was delicious. Entry is still made through the Social Club and a Children’s Play Park. Luncarty used to produce the best programme in Scottish Non League football but they stopped a couple of years ago when the guy who did it got fed up with the effort involved.

The attendance was around the 80 mark and mostly watched from atop the high banking beind the goal at the pavilion end. My mate and I opted for a spot near the half-way line. Good to catch up with some of the gossip from wiretown editor who was in attendance.

North End go forward to meet West End at Forfar on Saturday in the Semi Final. The other tie is Whitburn v Glenrothes at Central Park. I’d thoroughly recommend either game to anyone at a loose end this weekend.

villan
First Team Star

May 28, 2019, 3:12 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #2 of 5 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Monday 27th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a bad way to bring my season to a close even though venue was just a revisit. Now will I be able to get tickets for 3 new grounds next season at Tottenham, West Ham & the rotated Dene Court at Bournemouth. Not a classic game at Wembley but those celebrations were a joy to behold. It was hard work but the real hard work is probably just about to begin!!!!!!

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 16

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

May 28, 2019, 10:01 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #3 of 5 (850 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
East Juniors Consolation Cup Quarter Final
Luncarty v Dundee North End, 3-3, H.T. 0-0, 3-4 pens, Att c. 80, Admission Ł5, No paper, Steak Pie and Vimto Ł3
At Brownlands Park, Luncarty

This was a bit of a slow burner. After a goalless first half in which both teams played good football without a cutting edge, the game burst into life after half time. Six goals, one red card, two missed penalties, a penalty shoot out, numerous off the ball incidents and a fight at the end of the game – this was Junior football at its best.

Luncarty and North End have bee the two top teams in the East Juniors Lower Division North this season and have developed quite a rivalry. Consequently, a relatively low key Consolation Cup tie turned into something being contested by Champions League proportions.

The home side took the lead shortly after the break but North End were quickly back level. The visitors then had the chance to go in front from the penalty spot but the kick was saved by the Luncarty keeper. The goal was simply delayed, with North End going 2-1 in front shortly afterwards. It didn’t take Luncarty long to get level at 2-2 and they were 3-2 ahead in the 70th minute. North End got another penalty two minutes later but this one was skied out of the ground, last seen winging its way towards Bankfoot. Luncarty were reduced to ten men – the player conceding the stonewall penalty having earned a second yellow for his efforts. A sweeping North End move led to a great cross and finish to level things at 3-3 in the 88th minute. A penalty shoot out ensued with North End winning that 4-3.

As the players headed for the pavilion a fight broke out between a North End player and a fairly elderly Luncarty supporter with lots of others piling in. The game itself had been punctuated with feuds and clashes which the hard pressed referee had to deal with as best as he could. In the absence of linesmen he would have required 360 degree vision to keep up with all that was going on.

It was brilliant stuff at one of my favourite venues. Luncarty may not be the most developed grounds but it takes all the basics for enjoying a game of football. The Steak Pie was delicious. Entry is still made through the Social Club and a Children’s Play Park. Luncarty used to produce the best programme in Scottish Non League football but they stopped a couple of years ago when the guy who did it got fed up with the effort involved.

The attendance was around the 80 mark and mostly watched from atop the high banking beind the goal at the pavilion end. My mate and I opted for a spot near the half-way line. Good to catch up with some of the gossip from wiretown editor who was in attendance.

North End go forward to meet West End at Forfar on Saturday in the Semi Final. The other tie is Whitburn v Glenrothes at Central Park. I’d thoroughly recommend either game to anyone at a loose end this weekend.

Well summed up and I most certainly agree with the sentiment. The ground is railed either side and roped at the near end which is bounded by a high grass bank. All the facilities are this side with a small section of cover in front of the players entrance. On the side opposite the road through is a tall railway embankment and a viaduct just beyond the pitch corner. Although lacking in football furniture the ground certainly exudes character and has a definite feel of individuality. Loved it.

The club was open but offered nothing for the devotee of real ale but just a couple of miles away at Pitcairngreen the pub of the same name provided two fine offerings from Strathbraan. East and West.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 29, 2019, 2:42 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 5 (587 views)
Shortcut

Posted to annoy Hoddy Smile

Sparta Praha U-21 1-2 Banik Ostrava U-21
Strahov.
Admission Free. No programme, but teamlist provided. Attendance 50

Monday was a different type of day, as no first team football could be found anywhere within our reach, so instead we headed to Prague and to see Sparta’s training facilities and watch their U-21 team play.

From the railway station this requires a walk through the crowded touristy areas of the town, across the famous Karlovy Bridge and then a long climb up to Strahov. I had walked up this hill once before, on my very first trip to the city. Twenty-six years ago, even though it was after the wall had dropped, Prague was still not a major destination, the streets were quiet and we climbed the steps through the park to the stadium. On that occasion, Andy Harrup was my guide. This time, Pizzaman is insisting that the road provides a better route uphill. I am not so sure, but we take his route. I don’t find it easy going, but then I would not have fared better on the shorter, steeper climb.

When we reach the top, we are faced with the massive bulk that is Strahov. We swing around to the right, so as Stadion Evžena Rošického is to our right and the old grounds to our left. Stadion Evžena Rošického was my destination back in 1993, where I saw Slavia Praha play. The stadium has been used by several other teams since, most notably Slavia again while their own stadium was under renovation, and Olimpia Praha after they changed their name from Olimpa Hradrec Kralove for their short spell in the professional leagues.

This time our focus is on the old crumbling Strahov itself. This is a massive stadium, with the internal space being almost big enough for nine full size football pitches. It would have been used for rallies and displays. At its peak, the record crowd is given in Wikipedia as 250,000 (of which only 56,000 were seated).

While most of the stands and seats are still there, few are actually in a condition where they can be used. The facility has been reborn as the training centre for Sparta Praha. They have put up a block of offices, dressing rooms, a small restaurant and other facilities over the first central pitch as you enter. This does look as if it is a temporary structure, but my bet is it will still be there in ten years times.

They have six full size pitches, five of which are grass, one artificial. The spaces each side of the building are also pitches, but I think these are less than full size.

Our game was on pitch #1, which is in one corner. Spectators were allowed in (no charge) and could sit or stand on the lower terrace along one side. We were opposite the team benches where not surprisingly, no spectators are allowed. A path between pitches allows access.

All around, you could see the massive size of the stands, but most of it looked in poor conditions. There is no way that thousands could be let into this arena again. A few sections of the terrace or seats are covered with what appears to be felt roofing material. There are a number of areas under the stand which are in use, mainly by other sporting associations and the newer roofing will be to protect them from leaks in the older structure.

As for the game, it was not without skill, but it was slow and not really entertaining. Around 50 were in the crowd and team sheets were given out. The visitors, Banik Ostrava had started the second part of the season with a draw, but then had lost seven straight games, leaving them at the foot of the table. Sparta were third. Despite this, Banik always appeared to be on top and after a scoreless first period, they broke the deadlock with a deflected goal soon after the restart.

Sparta equalised with a goal from substitute Baba Lamine Traore ten minutes from time, only for his team to find themselves 2-1 down quickly afterwards. My theory for the fact the game did not go much to form is that Sparta had chosen a younger team, most probably discarding players who have reached the limit for this group and are not going to get a professional contract. Certainly, Sparta had the younger of the two teams.

If I had watched the equivalent match in England, then I would have expected to see a number of prospects that I would love to see at least on loan for Cheltenham. However, the teams concerned would be looking higher when sending their players out. I thought here in the Czech Republic, an area where players are frequently taken by clubs from the bigger leagues, I might get a view of some future Premier star – but apart from Traore, there is not a player I would even suggest a League-2 team should look at. This left me with the feeling that clubs in other countries have already taken the players they feel are the stars of the future and these teams are more the future of the Czech leagues.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 21, 2019, 3:38 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 5 (153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Monday 27th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Romania (Liga 1 Play-Out) 6 pm

FC Voluntari 2 AFC Hermannstadt 1 (H/T 1-0)

Entry – 20 lei (about Ł4)

Programme – none (but old club magazines from 2017-18 available at ticket kiosk)

Crowd – c. 2,000

For the fourth and last match of my first-ever trip to Romania, I was fortunate to get a match in the Bucharest area on Monday evening (I think it was being televised) before flying home on Tuesday morning. It was the only match in the top flight that I attended on the trip.

The venue was the Stadion Anghel Iordanescu (referred to as the ‘Stadion Pipera’ on the match ticket) which is located in Pipera, a small suburb of the district of Voluntari, on the north-east fringe of the capital. It is actually just off the same main road which I had walked along en route to Tunari for Friday’s match. I travelled on the metro to Pipera station and then had a walk of around 43-45 minutes from there to the stadium. It is quite a modern stadium and I think the whole club has been bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor. Much of the crowd seemed to be made up of families and school children (many of them were bussed in to the ground) who appeared to have been given free tickets in advance, as the only ticket kiosk at the ground was anything but busy. In fact, they did not have any change for the 50 lei banknote I had offered them and I had to wait nearly 15 minutes before someone else purchased a ticket before I could be given change.

The only ticket I was able to buy was for the large uncovered stand for home fans along one side, opposite the main stand. Fortunately there was no repeat of the thunderstorms I had experienced on Friday night, in view of the fact that the only significant amount of cover at the ground (behind one goal) was closed to spectators, a situation I had never before come across in any country. The other end of the ground has a large clubhouse and dressing-room complex, with no spectator access available. The main stand had a few covered seats beneath the press box and media gantry, and surprisingly (as at Arad) visiting supporters were allocated this side of the ground, in one of the wings.

The game resulted in the home side defeating their opponents (who have a curiously German-sounding name, which I think is some sort of historical reference to their home town) much to the delight of the enthusiastic children and families who were on the same side of the ground as I was. At the conclusion of the game, I managed to sneak into the main stand and retrieve a colour team sheet from the media seats, before heading back to my hotel on the metro.

I was quite impressed by Romania’s cities as the standard of living there appeared to be no worse than in neighbouring Hungary and Bucharest was full of new office blocks, retail units etc under construction, even in the suburbs. The countryside, however, was very different. While on the slow train journey back from Arad (it arrived in Bucharest behind schedule on Monday morning) I noticed a lot of poverty in rural areas. There were men using horses and carts to get around and shepherds watching over flocks of goats, and on one occasion I saw quite a touching scene where one shepherd appeared to be talking to his favourite goat.

On the whole, it was an enjoyable trip to Romania and although I do not know when my next trip there will be, I will be keeping an eye on the situation at Dinamo Bucharest, as it currently appears (from what I’ve seen on the Skyscraper City site) that they may be planning to build a new stadium on the training pitches immediately to the north of their current home. Of course, this might change and they might simply decide to rebuild instead. Another possible reason for returning to Romania before too long might be to watch the domestic cup final if it is played at the national stadium, which is not used by any club for league games (the 2019 final was being played at the same time as my trip, but at Petrolul Ploiesti’s ground, perhaps because the crowd was not expected to be big enough to require the use of the national stadium.)

And finally – did anyone notice that the Pope visited Romania recently? Thankfully this took place the weekend after my visit. Had it been on the same weekend, I would probably not have managed to get a hotel room – or at least, a reasonably priced one - in the Bucharest area!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3