Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 25th May 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

May 28, 2019, 12:17 AM

Post #26 of 31 (798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 25th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly International:
KERNOW 5-0 BARAWA (Played at Bodmin Town FC)

Having been very underwhelmed at Kernow's last game game, a 5-0 win over St Dennis, and all other games in Cornwall being completed, I had contemplated a trip to Princetown but matters out of my hand meant I would be late. A 5pm kick off here seemed the only option to support my home county in a more meaningful game.
A £5 admission fee and £1 for a programme left with no money for refreshments although I would have liked a scarf.
It felt a little strange seeing the players on the pitch standing for the anthems. Barawa had a very lively tune which seemed to be played on a radio/CD player and not very loud. Kernow had "Cornwall My Home" by Harry Glasson (who was in attendance) sung by five singers akin to "Fishermen's Friends" although why Trelawny wasn't used I have no idea. Very moving tune though,
Barawa, in a very interesting kit of green, blue and red were never really in this game and Kernow's keeper Jordan Duffey (of Cardiff City) was never really troubled.
The visitors endured a seven hour journey down from London where the squad is based, although not sure if they were down for the day or made a weekend of it.
The home side took the lead with a deflected free kick after 18 minutes and doubled their lead within sixty seconds when a good through ball pierced a square defence and a one on one was sidefooted home from just inside the box.
A third was added just after the break from close range and a fourth came from Liam Eddy's cross-cum-shot after 65 minutes.
The score became 5-0 when Eddy tapped in a square ball after 79 minutes.
In injury time the Barawa keeper endeared himself to the home crowd with a brilliant triple save and after the game posed for photos with the young supporters behind his goal.
Credit goes to both teams for an entertaining game and hopefully the supporter in the grandstand who was taken ill late in the game is ok.

Last 0-0 draw: Friday 04/11/2016 Bodmin Town v Plymouth Parkway

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 28, 2019, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #27 of 31 (703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Saturday 25th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Personally I thought the non penalty was correct, the ball was played to a player who was offside, and the foul came after the pass was made. Technically, the first offence was offside which I think makes it relevant. I stand to be corrected and understand County frustration but I think it was the right call

This is not correct. The first sentence of the offside Law says: It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

An offside offence is not committed at the point that the ball is played. That is just when the determination of whether a player is in an offside position is made. The offence is committed when a player in an offside position plays the ball or interferes with an opponent.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

May 28, 2019, 10:43 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #28 of 31 (687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Saturday 25th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cockhill Celtic Youth 1 Greencastle 3
Buncrana Credit Union Cup Final
Maginn Park, Buncrana

Admission: 5 Euros
Programme: Nil
Attendance: 160 h/c

Was thinking I would not get a second game after watching Derry on Friday night but this one popped up just a few miles from where we were staying in Inishowen.

Hard to think Derry City played here for a season, ground very basic, one large stand with some terrace steps either side , hard standing round the ground a bit of cover by the HQ block behind the dug outs but the pitch was in fantastic condition.
No bar but were offered a free cup of tea and a biscuit in the boardroom, where some great pictures on display plus a match poster from when Bert Trautman played at the ground in the mid sixties.

Cockhill were the underdogs but scored in less than one minute! Greencastle soon hit back and got on top but still all square at halftime.

Greencastle took the lead just into the second half and then dominated the game however did not make sure of the win till adding a third in the last minute of the game. Big celebrations at the end as Greencastle had now won all 4 trophies on offer in the league. A nice evening out, cracking game and a good one to finish my season on.

Last New ground; Somersham Town, Games in 2019/20 Season; 27, New Grounds this Season; 10, Next scheduled game: tbc
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

May 28, 2019, 11:23 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #29 of 31 (661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Saturday 25th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally I thought the non penalty was correct, the ball was played to a player who was offside, and the foul came after the pass was made. Technically, the first offence was offside which I think makes it relevant. I stand to be corrected and understand County frustration but I think it was the right call
This is not correct. The first sentence of the offside Law says: It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

An offside offence is not committed at the point that the ball is played. That is just when the determination of whether a player is in an offside position is made. The offence is committed when a player in an offside position plays the ball or interferes with an opponent.

And my thoughts were the player received the ball prior to the contact, although I have only seen it once and stand to be corrected. If I am wrong I hold my hands up - obviously another tweak to the laws of the game since I stopped officiating.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2019, 2:18 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #30 of 31 (345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 25th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn't need either part of the E.Craigie + Carnoustie double. Back late Friday from a week on business in the South of France, so CBA getting up at silly o'clock for Glasgow-area morning stuff (the MSM game Steveb did had been under consideration) since there was no Dundee Saturday Morning action to begin the day with - the one team with outstanding fixtures had been in a Friday night cup final, and in the end their remaining dead-rubber league games never got played.
So, with yorkieexile in tow, we headed to the charming village of Falkland, where Kingdom Of Fife Amateurs side Falkand AFC were receiving Valleyfield at Tyndall Bruce Park - a pitch in the grounds of the National Trust's Falkland Palace. We had plenty of time in hand, so we parked in the centre and had a wander round this picture-postcard place and a stroll down to the golf club since its sign also says it's home to Lomond Victoria where the footy pitch there is bizarre in that the elevated area that would be ideal to view from is a golf tee! The clubhouse has both a label plate declaring that the pitch is Myreside Park, the home of Lomond Victoria, but also one for "Kinross AFC, The Myre" - but surely The Myre is in the town of Kinross, over near the M90 ?...
Having baulked at the £12 entry fee to get in Falkland Palace to try to access the pitch from there, we strolled on to the road out of the village where there's a small private car park that serves the bowling club, from which the goalposts perched higher up could be seen, with nets in place. Just as we arrived, a lady was driving away. She paused to wind her window down, asking us "are you looking for the football?" - we obviously don't look like bowlers! "Yes". "Because we've just heard that Valleyfield can't raise a team so it's off." AARGH ! Having had to kill time, we were now in a hurry to get to plan B, since we firstly needed to speed-walk back to where we'd parked in the centre. But I will be forever grateful to that lady that she did have the kindness to stop to tell us, else we'd've stood around for many more minutes wondering what was happening. As it was, we had just enough time to dash across the county line to neighbouring Perthshire, arriving with 2 minutes to spare for :

Bridge of Earn 0-4 Vale of Earn
Perthshire Amateurs, Consolation Cup SF
2pm at Victory Park, Bridge of Earn
f&n, h/c 25

Despite their similarity of name, this is not really an "Earn derby" - the visitors are one of 2 who play out of Crieff. They took control of the game from as early as the 2nd minute, and just before the break were already 0-3 up. An o.g. in the 76th concluded the scoring.
An open pitch next door to the bowling club, that I had previously passed many times - my youngest lad was put in Strathallan boarding school just up the road from here when I was first sent back to the UK by my employers as punishment for Madame having set fire to the housing block in Paris. He'd had to go there since none of the schools in Aberdeen do 'foreign' English A-Levels, and Scottish Uppers & Downers or whatever they call them would have been pointless for an Englishman to start into with just 2 years of schooling to go.
I was needing the loo, so wandered across to the pavilion just before HT to ask the club official who was leaning in the doorway. "Nope, just the players' dressing rooms in here. Go and ask at the pub" [their shirt sponsors]. With the short HTs they have in the Amateurs, I waited til the end of the match. As I enetered, that same official was sat inside, pint in hand, watching the Scottish Cup Final on the pub's TV. He'd evidently been there since the 3pm KO. He asked me what the final score had been in his team's match!!

Onward to match 2 of the day back up North, with enough time in hand for my designated driver to lead me astray to the Marine Hotel on the harbourfront in Stonehaven where the Cullen Skink served inside a loaf (so you can eat the 'bowl') accompanied a few decent pints, before :

Aberdeenshire Amateurs, Edmond Trophy Final
Kaimhill United 3-0 Ellon Amateurs
7:15pm @ neutral Balmoral Stadium - Cove Rangers' 3G
h/c 130
£2 in. No paper.

The various AAFA finals have been mostly held on this floodlit 3G with trough facilities for AAFA blazers' snouts to be inserted into. And 7:15 KOs, usually Fridays, but in this case a rare Saturday evening opportunity. Indeed this could have formed a treble for those doing the E.Craigie + Carnoustie double. Not a match I would normally have bothered with, not liking club venue neutral finals (I do clubs-at-home on grounds, not grounds) plus having done a Cove Rangers game here of course. Yorkieexile had also been here for Cove Rangers. But he was number crunching so who was I to disagree with my driver. Dreich weather - the ground was encased in wet coastal cloud, with a strong breeze. We sat in the main stand for the first half, but that was terribly exposed to the wind - I could feel myself going down with the flu having just come back from 27 degree heat. But moving to the far side for the second half was much more sheltered - there are lower covered terraces and a covered stand.
The tea hut was open, serving pies, sausage rolls etc, but we were still full from The Marine. Also open was the Players Bar. Ellon had brought a contingent of yoof supporters by coach who had clearly been making full use of that since well before KO. Their sweary 'support' was quite irritating. One was so pished that when he stood up to shout his team on he tripped over the back of the seats in front of him and landed forehead first onto the concrete floor a row below with a sickening thud. But nothing to worry about - the concrete was undamaged. Bldy numpty.
This cup is for those who lost in the first round of the AFC Trophy - the all-in AAFA cup. Both are Division 1 teams. Kaimhill Utd from 1E, Ellon Amateurs of 1N (not to be confused with Ellon Thistle of 1E, or Ellon Utd of the North Juniors).
Kaimhill had taken the lead deep into first half stoppage time, and 10 minutes later doubled their lead when latching on to a weak pass back to the goalie. A third 10 minutes from the end put the match to bed and silenced the Ellon drunkards.
Glad to get home for a warm cuppa.

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jun 5, 2019, 2:22 PM)

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 19, 2019, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #31 of 31 (170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Saturday 25th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Romania (Liga 2) 11 am

FC Metaloglobus Bucuresti 3 ACS Energeticianul Petrosani 0 (H/T 0-0)

F & N

Crowd – 150 (Soccerway figure, looked reasonably accurate)

There was more than one game taking place in or near Bucharest this day, but the main deciding factor for me was the early kick-off of this one. The Metaloglobus ground, situated in the eastern suburbs of Bucharest, is just five minutes walk from the nearest metro station which is called Pantelimon, the same name as this area of Bucharest. The ground’s name is the Stadion Metaloglobus, possibly a sponsored name like that of the team using it. A look at Google Maps will show the name as the Complexul Sportiv Ion Tiriac, which is obviously a better name, but the satellite photo appears to predate my visit as there have clearly been improvements made since then. The ground’s official address is Strada Ion Vlad, but this is for players and officials only. Spectators have to use a driveway off Soseaua Pantelimon, which is a busy main road and in any case this was the first part of the ground I saw when approaching from the metro station. The ground is a rather basic venue, with no cover for spectators and the only spectator accommodation being a temporary shallow stand which has been erected on top of the banking on the east side. A rather disappointing venue for the second tier of a country of Romania’s size.

When I arrived outside the spectator entrance behind the stand, I could not see any evidence of a ticket office, but there was a steward standing outside the entrance and he was holding some match tickets. Assuming that he was selling them, I approached him and offered him a banknote, which he declined before handing me one of the tickets free of charge. Presumably entry was free as an end-of-season gesture (I am assuming that the second tier of Romanian football would not normally be free) but they were still handing out tickets in order to keep a spectator count. The ticket was surprisingly large and detailed for something being given away free. I also had my bag searched before being allowed to enter.

As already stated, the ground is rather poor in terms of spectator facilities. Access to spectators is restricted to the shallow stand on the east side. The appearance of the ground is quite unusual, as the pitch (which is synthetic) is in a sunken hollow, with a lot of space at the south end. It is possible that the pitch was moved a few yards north when being converted from grass to plastic. The whole area almost looks like a small quarry. A large dressing room building is located on top of the banking at the north end. The satellite photo seems to show a hedge or row of trees where the changing rooms are now, and it is possible that the home club have been playing here for only a short time.

After a very dull first half, the match eventually resulted in a comfortable win for Metaloglobus, much to the delight of a small but enthusiastic number of home fans. It might have been possible for me to get to a second match that day, at CS Afumati, which was kicking off at 2pm but this was some distance away and getting there before the kick-off by public transport would have been almost impossible. To be sure of getting there in time I would have had to hail a taxi very near the Metaloglobus ground. I decided that it wasn’t worth the expense and hassle when there was the risk that the taxi driver might take me on a circuitous route and overcharge me. Instead I did some sightseeing in central Bucharest in the afternoon and I stumbled across a vegan café while doing so, which was an unexpected bonus. I also had plenty of time to spare before catching the overnight train for Sunday’s match at Arad.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3