The Death Of The 72?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 25, 2019, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 8 (1411 views)
Shortcut
The Death Of The 72? Can't Post or Reply Privately

An interesting article in The Independent by Miguel Delany...

https://www.independent.co.uk/...elaney-a8926126.html

...about the growing gaps between the Premier, the Championship, and Leagues One and Two.

Particularly stark is the figure quoted that last season 31 of the 48 clubs in Leagues One and Two had average attendances less than half the capacity of their stadium.

jon b
First Team Star

May 26, 2019, 12:29 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #2 of 8 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that, it's interesting and worrying.

I noted the emphasis of maximising the match day experience. Obviously a sensible approach. Unfortunately, one idea was introducing a drum. When I went to Chesterfield's Proact Stadium this season I found they too had allowed (encouraged?) a clown loudly banging a drum. His musical ability was non existent and I was thoroughly discouraged from returning.

Still at least they're trying.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

May 26, 2019, 4:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 8 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've seen articles in the 1960s Football League Magazine (and every decade since in some or other platform) predicting the demise of professional football at the lower levels. What happened? A fifth national division was added, and the number of full-time clubs in England and Wales probably reached 110 at one point.

The real miracle is that spectators pay so much to watch lower league and non-League football - their loyalty is exploited. As the Accrington Stanley chairman has been arguing, clubs have to be saved from their own over-spending, by some form of restriction or regulation. I think if people knew what EFL clubs were actually paying their players, they'd be aghast.

Bielsa ringing
Junior Team Regular

Jun 7, 2019, 9:09 AM

Team(s): Leeds United. Local Team Corinthian Casuals

Post #4 of 8 (642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed the issue for the majority of EFL clubs is unsustainable spending on wages for average to crap footballers. This ridiculous strategy looks even more half-baked when you factor in it is only promotion to the PL that changes the financial dynamic (and even then the majority of clubs squander that money on even more ridiculous wages). Given their are 3 slots only a season for promotion and an average of 4-6 clubs with PL parachute payments the inevitability of about 6 Championship clubs, an equal number of L1 clubs and up to half of L2 going into administration/liquidation in the next 2 seasons is clear, and based on information available in the public domain, I am being cautious with those figures.
As a taster of things to come they following championship clubs (18-19) won't survive their owner pulling out: Derby C, Sheff W, QPR, Notts F, Birmingham C, Middlesbrough, Blackburn R, Stoke C, WBA. And keep an eye out for Villa if they go gung hoe on new signings in the PL...

When its not Leeds United (season ticket holder) its football across the spectrum or close to KT5.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 7, 2019, 9:30 AM

Post #5 of 8 (632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bielsa ringing] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To a certain extent, iím Surprised the bigger championship teams havenít abandoned the FL and created a PL2.

Leeds, Derby, Villa have been permanent fixtures on the TV during the season, but share that money with 72 clubs (yes I know not equally).

The likes of forest, boro, Derby, Leeds, Norwich etc are always going to yo-yo between the first and second tier, just like the bottom 8-10 teams in the PL.

Iím sure those teams in the bottom half of the PL would also prefer to be relegated to a PL2.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 7, 2019, 10:13 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #6 of 8 (609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leeds and Derby must have approaching 30 years between them of no top flight football so not much of a yo-yo there.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 7, 2019, 10:50 AM

Post #7 of 8 (598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Leeds and Derby must have approaching 30 years between them of no top flight football so not much of a yo-yo there.

Ouch!

A broken yo-yo perhaps?

Given that Leicester City are the only established top-10 PL team in the Eastern half of the country (above the M25) I was trying to be kind to our under-performing neighbours.

But cobblers to that, letís just point and laugh!

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 7, 2019, 11:19 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #8 of 8 (589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] The Death Of The 72? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Junction 21 and all that. Wink

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3