ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 8, 2019, 4:43 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #51 of 71 (6435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Only most of the time! That does actually annoy me a bit. When I write our match reports I do mention both teams, and I have a standing instruction from the board not to criticise the referee. The furthest I will go down that road is something like "The referee considered that no foul had been committed", which is at least factually accurate. Some other clubs appear not to be aware of these conventions of polite society, and I do sometimes wonder why I bother.

As for newspapers lifting reports from websites, I know of at least one club which has "reminded" its local newspaper that it asserts copyright over match reports on its website, and they will therefore please not be "borrowed". Whether you consider that to be cutting off the nose to spite the face is up to you, but the upshot is of course that the local newspaper just doesn't cover the club concerned.

The reality is, if clubs won't co-operate with the local press by letting them use their web reports, the chances are the paper aren't going to cover them. There simply isn't the money in local papers any more to pay people to watch games of football that are watched by a couple of hundred people. Our local rag gives me a bye line, considering a was a sports journalist for 20 years (and still do a bit of paid work) it could be argued that's pretty insulting, but if I want BSFC to get the coverage, I'm willing to do that. There's a queue of other sports clubs happy to take our place on the back page.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 8, 2019, 5:13 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #52 of 71 (6397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How ironic - a news thread hijacked by a bunch of hacks moaning about deteriorating standards of reporting news.

ladderman

Jul 8, 2019, 5:20 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #53 of 71 (6383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

:) I'm not moan8ng. I got out at the right time

(This post was edited by ladderman on Jul 8, 2019, 6:19 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 8, 2019, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #54 of 71 (6312 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How ironic - a news thread hijacked by a bunch of hacks moaning about deteriorating standards of reporting news.

I got out of newspapers 20 years ago...

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 8, 2019, 6:05 PM)

paulh66

Jul 8, 2019, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #55 of 71 (6206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If I'd said "ex-hacks" the point would've somehow sounded too scathing!

Anyway, exciting times for the Minstermen - new stadium on the way and a serial promotion winner now leading the side. You'll enjoy watching Steve McNulty..

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 8, 2019, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #56 of 71 (6140 views)
Shortcut

Put that way, Paul, it does sound rather exciting. Unfortunately, York aren't my team!

paulh66

Jul 8, 2019, 8:28 PM

Post #57 of 71 (6113 views)
Shortcut

I know. Despite that, you'll still enjoy McNulty whenever you're tempted to pop in for a game or two. Hope the new place is open before his contract expires next summer, mind!

Cannary
Junior Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 9:04 PM

Team(s): Norwich City

Post #58 of 71 (6060 views)
Shortcut

Going off topic again now, but as - like Feversham Lens and ladderman - a former newspaper person it's worth paying tribute to people on here. Combined with Twitter they are an excellent source for what's going on at Step 4 and below. The local newspaper company concentrates all its efforts and resources now on its two clubs at Step 2 and 3. Still waiting for the story on Wymondham Town's forced relegation, for example.

paulh66

Jul 18, 2019, 3:43 PM

Post #59 of 71 (5541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Basingstoke recently announced they'll be sharing Winchester City's ground until their new ground, the redeveloped Hants FA facility at Winklebury, is ready, subject to league approval. Haven't seen any news about when they anticipate playing their first game at Winklebury.

I did wonder when I saw pictures a week ago and the pitch had been dug up. Fingers crossed we don't get them until Winklebury is up and running...Winchester's fine but it ain't a tick...

Winklebury won't be ready until late October at the earliest: https://btfc.co.uk/...ty-club-statement-2/

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2019, 3:59 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #60 of 71 (5525 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Winklebury won't be ready until late October at the earliest: https://btfc.co.uk/...ty-club-statement-2/

Hmm...we are due there on 19th...will have to find somewhere else to go...not doing Winchester again...even for a bracketed tick

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 60 Goals: 242 GPG: 4.03 New Grounds: 36

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Jul 18, 2019, 3:59 PM)

ComradeBT
Youth Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

Team(s): WWFC; WFC

Post #61 of 71 (5233 views)
Shortcut

From reading that statement from Basingstoke Town FC, there are two clear issues to address regarding the move from the Camrose (a proper football ground albeit requiring a little investment) to Winklebury (requiring substantial investment to provide even the most basic of spectator provisions).

1) No planning permission has been granted to build, as I understand, residential properties on the Camrose Ground? (Has planning previously been denied as well?)

2) Sport England have also thrown up an objection to preserve the Camrose Ground as a sporting amenity for the town of Basingstoke

So if planning is not provided in August and Sport England's objection is granted and the ground must prevail, what happens to Basingstoke Town then considering the club require, as it seems, £250,000 to invest into minimal spectator provision at Winklebury? That cash sum linked to the provision of planning on the Camrose site.

Additionally, have BTFC received any other funds for the sale of the Camrose, or did the ground fall into the hands of developers with the club receiving little or no financial compensation?

I would be very interested to hear of Basingstoke Town supporter views as they must be aghast at the whole situation. The club appears, on the outside, to be content on falling down the divisions with Winklebury hardly fit for purpose as a ground for the higher echelons of non-league football. The state of limbo must put in question Basingtoke's participation at Step 4 for the forthcoming season if they have already been kicked out of the Camrose and Winklebury isn't ready.

I feel for the supporters of the club and wish them my best.

ComradeBT
-- Non-League football club founder.

490 different football grounds visited. Last out:

Oakfield Stadium - Melksham Town 1-4 Winchester City
Att: 470

paulh66

Jul 19, 2019, 12:20 PM

Post #62 of 71 (5185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ComradeBT] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
From reading that statement from Basingstoke Town FC, there are two clear issues to address regarding the move

A possible third concern arose towards the end of the article, namely the transfer of the FA Licence to Play from BT Ltd to the community club, which is presumably a new vehicle through which the club is intended to be run.
"It is nearly two months since the request to the National FA was made and we are still awaiting a decision. BT Ltd still hold the FA licence to play though the Community Club is meeting costs before competitive league fixtures begin."
Let's hope this delay isn't due to an underlying problem.

paulh66

Sep 9, 2019, 2:08 AM

Post #63 of 71 (4265 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Gorleston said when I went in March that they hoped to be in their new ground by Christmas

Just been digging into this to see if there's any more news. A quick search of planning applications on the council's website shows that planning permission has been applied for new homes on the club's current ground, and a separate application submitted for the new ground at East Norfolk Sixth Form College. Although decisions were due on both in Spring of this year, the status of both is currently shown as "undecided". Assuming this info is reasonably up to date, it's hard to see them moving any time soon.

Gorleston's website includes a report from the club's AGM a couple of weeks ago saying that permission is still awaited but they're confident it'll happen. Once granted they reckon it'll take four months to build the new ground.

Meanwhile Skelmersdale United have reported that their target site, JMO Sports Park, received council permission last week for the necessary improvements to be made to allow the club to return to the town. A full statement from the club will follow.

MiddxSaint
Youth Team Star

Sep 16, 2019, 3:50 PM

Team(s): St Albans City

Post #64 of 71 (3612 views)
Shortcut

More than 500 people have signed a petition demanding Woking Council stops the expansion of the area’s football stadium.

Over the last year and a half, the property development company GolDev has been working with Woking Football Club.

Together they’re proposing to increase the stadium capacity at Kingfield from 6,000 to 10,000 seats.

But they also want to create a new neighbourhood called Cardinal Court with over 1,000 new flats and a 10,000 square retail area.

Yet some residents are concerned that the influx of thousands of new inhabitants will add unsustainable traffic and parking pressure.

They’re also worried the new stadium will bring noise and light pollution.

The Cardinal Court development team says it is listening to comments and will look to make changes in response to the issues raised.

They are looking to submit planning applications later this year.

Pictures of what is proposed on https://cardinalcourtwoking.co.uk/

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Sep 16, 2019, 4:43 PM)

Chris1963

Sep 16, 2019, 4:25 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #65 of 71 (3587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MiddxSaint] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The attached link is very interesting, as it includes an overlap of the old and new stadiums, which covers about 30% of the old site. Whether that makes it a new stadium is up to you, although I guess it won't be an issue for Buncranaboy.
There is also a survey which says that 40% of fans buy programmes on matchdays, which is higher than I had expected (the number who buy alcohol is given as 44%)
Personally, I think that all that needs to be done is for a new main stand to be built on the current site. There is already a huge, relatively new stand behind one goal although this has been omitted from the photos of the current site.

DesselSportFan
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 18, 2019, 9:48 AM

Team(s): Oxford U,Dessel Sport, local N. Devon non-league

Post #66 of 71 (2910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reborn Yellow] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This had slipped un-noticed past my radar, but BOW AAC of the Devon and Exeter League appear to have moved to a new ground. The address is Burston Meadow, Burston Lane, Bow, Devon EX17 6LA.
I'll try and find a bit more detail and visit asap..

panther
Junior Team Star

Sep 21, 2019, 8:29 AM

Team(s): skelmersdale united

Post #67 of 71 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Re Skelmersdale United
Its good news week
Ahead of today's encounter with Longridge Town, the Board at Skelmersdale United can announce updated news regarding the JMO Sporks Park

The Board of Directors of Skelmersdale United Football Club are delighted to be able to announce that the Planning Permission required for the development of the JMO Sports Complex in Skelmersdale has been granted subject to reasonable conditions and that the construction shall commence without undue delay.

Planning permission has been granted for an Erection of extension to the existing sports pavilion building, alterations to the existing artificial pitch including the erection of three football stands, installation of Players/Managers benches, erection of toilet and catering facilities, installation of turnstiles and alterations and and extension to the existing car park.
The Board of Directors would like to put on record their thanks to the clubs supporters for their ongoing loyal support of the team during a prolonged absence away from the town, and to John Mallinson of J Mallison (Ormskirk) Ltd and his associates in helping the club achieve its primary objective of bringing football back home to Skelmersdale.

Dan Roberts
Secretary

The Clubs Vice Chair was on Radio this week and the club are hoping to move in by end of October or early November.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 21, 2019, 12:21 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #68 of 71 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [panther] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to the JMO in 2012 for a West Cheshire League game in which Southgate Trinity and Mossley Hill Athletic drew 3-3. Other readers of this forum will have been there as well.
At the time, there was only one pitch in use, but I have seen suggestions that this is not the one that Skem are to use. The map shows two pitches separated by several mini-pitches. I think I went to the most southerly

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 21, 2019, 1:12 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #69 of 71 (2437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have Woking divulged how the stadium would be built? Would they do a Tottenham and build the stadium around the current site minimising the time away from the stadium, or would they leave for 2 seasons say and see the whole area demolished before building work begins?

paulh66

Sep 28, 2019, 12:51 AM

Post #70 of 71 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] New Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grant offer now received by Gloucester City to finance the new ground (or redeveloped old ground...). Aiming to progress the work in November although "looking more and more unlikely" they'll be playing there this season: http://www.gloucestercityafc.com/...-application-update/

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Sep 28, 2019, 1:01 AM)

paulh66

Oct 7, 2019, 3:57 PM

Post #71 of 71 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Latest update on York's new stadium here: https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/...delay-city-can-play/

Construction to be completed this year, licensing and testing to be carried out early next year. Club declined to comment whether they'll still move in before the end of this season or play out the season at Bootham Crescent.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3