Linby Colliery

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 21, 2019, 11:17 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1 of 7 (759 views)
Shortcut
Linby Colliery Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was doing a little research around this club - particularly season 1950-51 when they got to the First Round of the FA Cup.

I am having great difficulty locating the ground they occupied - known as the Gatehouse Ground:

A more recent photo on twitter shows what seems to be the same stand alongside a pitch which might be in use.

Their current ground is known as Church Lane. Is this the same ground? If not does anyone know the precise location of the original ground?

GRIFFON
First Team Star

May 21, 2019, 12:46 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #2 of 7 (718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Linby Colliery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well they certainly play at the Linby Colliery Welfare Ground so presume it is the same one.
PM sent.

PaulC

May 21, 2019, 2:53 PM

Post #3 of 7 (675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Linby Colliery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see the club's website states

"November 1950 saw Linby entertain Gillingham FC in the FA Cup 1st Round (proper) in front of a record crowd of 6,850 at the old Gatehouse Ground, the last Hucknall-based team to reach that round....

In the 1970's Rick Bentley and Phil Cresswell managed Linby in the old Central Alliance and the East Midland League, with players the calibre of Ricks son Steve Bentely and Ray Sears ...Unfortunately, the standard prompted a move from the now decaying Gatehouse, Linby went to play at Annesley Welfare....

Sadly the old ground has now gone, Linby moved to their present ground in 1985, ..."

PaulC

May 21, 2019, 6:46 PM

Post #4 of 7 (616 views)
Shortcut

I've got to grips with it now, thanks to Andy Gallon's contribution to footballgroundsinfocus.com.

He wrote:
The reason Church Lane looks like a cricket ground is because that’s exactly what it was. The footballers arrived in 1985, three years before the closure of the colliery, which was on the other side of the railway and is now an industrial estate. Linby’s first home, the Gateshouse Ground, where they played from 1946, was nearer the pit. The players changed at the pithead baths and walked down the railway line to the pitch....

The present ground is accessed via narrow Church Lane and a gate at the south end. One emerges into what feels like a cricket ground with a football pitch at the top end. A motley collection of buildings (some nicer than others) strung out along what used to be the near boundary houses the dressing rooms, toilets and clubhouse. There is a tiny car park, big enough only to accommodate the vehicles of early arrivals. The clubhouse, akin to a cricket pavilion (which it probably was), is a gem. Inside, there is a bar and kitchen, but the walls are the main focus of attention. They are covered with historic photographs and press clippings detailing the club’s not inglorious past. The montage includes an impressive shot of the clearly sizeable colliery."

So:

Here's a map from the 50s showing the old ground (the "?" is now redundant) and the new one (the former cricket ground)
https://i.postimg.cc/Y9FwBjqM/linbymap.gif

Britain from above has a (not very good) shot of the ground with another cricket ground across the road and the colliery too. (Hucknall CC now play at New Gatehouse so it's likely they occupied the ground in the photo)
https://i.postimg.cc/...L8Dq/linby-photo.gif

The old ground is now under modern housing:
https://i.postimg.cc/cH0c0bdC/linbysat.gif

Linby Colliery has always intrigued me as one of the smallest clubs to make it to the First Round of the FA Cup, so it's good to have added a little to my knowledge of them.

Reborn Yellow
Youth Team Sub

May 21, 2019, 9:22 PM

Team(s): Hucknall Town, Nottingham Forest

Post #5 of 7 (553 views)
Shortcut

The Gatehouse ground was on the edge of Hucknall's Vaughan Estate.

At Church Lane the pitch has now been moved closer to the clubhouse and away from the church. It was in very good condition for Linby's last game of the season. They initially had soil from Coronation Park at Eastwood for the new pitch, but (I think )unable to use it due to contamination. They are hoping to improve the ground to step 6 standard in the near future.

(This post was edited by Reborn Yellow on May 21, 2019, 9:26 PM)

bob lilliman
Junior Team Star

May 21, 2019, 11:34 PM

Post #6 of 7 (469 views)
Shortcut

On a visit to the National Coal Mining Museum in September I saw film of Linby Colliery v Gillingham playing continuously on a loop; steam engines were passing behind the stand!

GRIFFON
First Team Star

May 25, 2019, 7:58 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #7 of 7 (247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bob lilliman] Linby Colliery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A programme for the game against Nuneaton sold the other week for £102 on ebay, a friend who originally owned it would be turning in his grave as he never wanted his collection sold! Sons eh, who'd have em!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3