IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU

hawkwind
First Team Star

May 16, 2019, 1:09 AM

Post #1 of 8 (926 views)
Shortcut
International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU Can't Post or Reply Privately

As of 15th May 2019 prices for International Calls and SMS within the EU are now capped.

Another Digital Single Market citizen benefit.

For details read the Q and A fact sheet

(This post was edited by hawkwind on May 16, 2019, 1:10 AM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 16, 2019, 8:02 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #2 of 8 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As of 15th May 2019 prices for International Calls and SMS within the EU are now capped.

And just watch what will happen if we leave the EU.

Rip-off central without EU protection from the greed merchants.

007Dale
First Team Star

May 16, 2019, 8:10 AM

Post #3 of 8 (834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This is good news for those people that regularly use international calls.

However, the Telecoms companies still have to return profits and dividends to the shareholders. So they’ll increase prices elsewhere.

Good for regular users of international calls = bad news for everyone else.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

May 16, 2019, 10:39 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #4 of 8 (759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's plenty of free platforms available if you are in a wifi spot.

Much the same with watching international football.

I've never paid for either.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 16, 2019, 3:58 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #5 of 8 (645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having just crossed the border into Switzerland, you immediately get the message on your phone
Calls are £1/minute and data is 50p/MB (that won't get you far)
...and Switzerland is comparatively cheap - you should see the costs in China.
When I cross to Austria tomorrow, my calls are included in the package I have paid for, and the data is also included, but of course only calls to UK are included.
The price drop means I am more likely to make calls to Austrian phones from Austria with my mobile. So the companies are as likely to make money as lose it

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2019, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #6 of 8 (513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Having just crossed the border into Switzerland, you immediately get the message on your phone
Calls are £1/minute and data is 50p/MB (that won't get you far)
...and Switzerland is comparatively cheap - you should see the costs in China.
When I cross to Austria tomorrow, my calls are included in the package I have paid for, and the data is also included, but of course only calls to UK are included.
The price drop means I am more likely to make calls to Austrian phones from Austria with my mobile. So the companies are as likely to make money as lose it

While in Switzerland, if you are close to a border then just force your phone onto an EU network.

Yatesman
First Team Regular

May 16, 2019, 7:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 8 (489 views)
Shortcut

Not sure I'm prepared to sell my soul to the Devil just to get cheaper roaming charges for the two weeks per annum I go abroad.......assuming I even choose to visit an EU country.
Is there evidence that outside the EU these minor benefits wont be continued or renegotiated?

hawkwind
First Team Star

May 18, 2019, 1:30 PM

Post #8 of 8 (301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] International Telephone Calls and SMS within the EU [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is good news for those people that regularly use international calls.

However, the Telecoms companies still have to return profits and dividends to the shareholders. So they’ll increase prices elsewhere.

Good for regular users of international calls = bad news for everyone else.

Sorry but your conclusion is wrong.

Those of us with family or friends in other EU countries that make regular calls are already catered for either through phone 'bundles' or various other options alluded to by Ronsdog - all of which cost well below the capped figure.

This measure will benefit those: who generally make no international calls but are then faced with a 'one-off' PAYG call; who make a handful of international calls annually.

To give you an example my provider a month ago was offering 500 international minutes a month for £10 (£120 per annum) or PAYG of £1.50 per minute. There never was any justification for that PAYG charge - the law imposes a maximum charge at a 'sensible' level.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3