Wednesday 15th May 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

May 15, 2019, 10:13 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 12 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 15th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheshire Division 1. KO 18:45. (F&N). Crowd 48 (Average)

Blacon Youth Club 1 v 0 Vulcan

Nothing really at stake tonight with the home side already promoted, yet the sides produced a game of excellent quality won with a well taken effort in the first half. Credit to Vulcan who blocked almost everything else and still managed to break from time to time and could have gone away with at least a point. Crowd count varied according to who was counting!

Fine view of an Airbus Beluga coming into land nearby. Good to see Villan, also there Martin55 again, along with "North West Counties" guys Sid and Tony. Also Pete and Ian who are half of the Mersey mob (which is plenty!).

(This post was edited by Dave 56 on May 15, 2019, 10:15 PM)

DesselSportFan
Reserve Team Regular

May 16, 2019, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Oxford U,Dessel Sport, local N. Devon non-league

Post #2 of 12 (2586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SHAMWICKSHIRE ROVERS 1 (1) TORRINGTON 3 (2)
North Devon Premier,
F and N, att 39

Decent game given there was nothing at stake here. Torrington seemed to want the win more and were good value for the 3 pts. Lovely spring evening for football. Recommend a visit here on a clear day as the views across the River Torridge are amazing.

No changes to the ground since my last visit, pretty basic but the bar at Pollyfield Centre next to the pitch is usually open on match days.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

May 16, 2019, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #3 of 12 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DesselSportFan] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL Championship Play Off Final First Leg
Raith Rovers v Queen of the South, 1-3, H.T. 0-2, Att 2741 (301 Away), Admission £14 / £7, Steak Pie £1.90, Coffee £1.80, Programme £2
At Stark’s Park, Kirkcaldy

A few eyebrows were raised when Queens sacked their Manager after the last game of the regular season. It has proved to be a masterstroke, bringing back Alan Johnston to his spiritual managerial home. He has imbued the previously moribund Queens side with a new breath of life and they are playing to their full potential.

I’d always thought that whoever finished second bottom of the Championship would win the Play Off. The 2nd-4th place sides in League One are considerably inferior and simp0ly do not deserve to go up. It looks like that is how it will work out after this convincing win for the Dumfries side.

Raith only really played in the first 15 minutes and the last ten. They squandered chances early on but once Queens got into their rhythm they dominated the game. Raith were all huff and puff with no incision; Queens were studied and deliberate with rapier-like attacking potential. Lyndon Dykes scored their first goal with a great run and finish and Connor Murray soon made it 2-0 after being set up by the peerless Stephen Dobbie. Queens were happy to soak up Raith’s pressure in the second half and broke away to make it 3-0 through a deflected David Brownlie effort. It was only in the last ten minutes that Rovers came alive again with Dave Mackay getting a goal back and a few other close things.

Watched from the Railway Stand for the first time in many years – the away fans now get housed in there. It’s the best place to be for an evening game with low sun and is agreeably close to the action.

My steak pie was excellent but superheated – one of those that required nibbling round the edges before attacking the nuclear core. Blistered lips were worthwhile collateral damage. Raith’s programme was reasonably good considering it had to be thrown together at short notice – congrats to those involved.

Walking out through the Rovers fans, including an ex PM and his bored looking laddie, I heard a few comments along the lines of “[email protected]@k going to Dumfries, the tie’s over”. I tend to agree.

For Raith the future looks gloomy. They surely cannot sustain another year of full time football in the League One Seaside Division. Instead of visits from Dundee and maybe Dundee United, they can anticipate the travelling armies of Stranraer and Montrose again.

villan
First Team Star

May 16, 2019, 12:40 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #4 of 12 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As stated I was also at BLACON YOUTH 1 VULCAN 0 in Cheshire league division 1. Free & no programme although I picked up a 50th anniversary brochure from 2015. ATT my h/c was 58 & I excluded many youths etc who clearly were not taking much if any notice of what was happening on the pitch. I reckon Martin 55 has been a bit mean with his headcount if Dave has taken average although I accept ATT had reduced well into 2nd half. Good to meet up with both again.

An excellent advert for notional step 8 football with hosts deserving of the points secured with a 7th minute screamer from 20 yards. As Dave says both sides committed & it was a decent watch. This seems to be a thriving youth club with activities pre match & another game for younger members on 2nd pitch. The ground was enclosed with car park behind near goal & pitch looked in excellent condition. It is fully railed but no hard standing or cover. A small club room for youth activity pool etc but it did not seem to be licensed but I think tea etc available although it closed shortly after half time. A good evening out with weather bright & not getting too chilly.

Refreshments taken post match in Chester at Cornerhouse & Cellar bar the latter in company of a few disappointed Leeds supporters. I did not reveal my allegiance!!!!! Pre match lunch taken in Ring O Bells Christleton which was excellent. I also visited ground of Christleton in Little Heath shared with cricket club. They were ex West Cheshire league division 1 (step 7) but I do not know what level or league they are at now. A very tidy ground with good playing surface , railed on 3 sides with dugouts & area of cover down 1 side. I could not see any hard standing as I could not get in & viewed from gate. A good sized clubhouse was to left serving both CC & FC I suspect.
Good journey both ways via A41.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 21

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2019, 12:55 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #5 of 12 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I also visited ground of Christleton in Little Heath shared with cricket club. They were ex West Cheshire league division 1 (step 7) but I do not know what level or league they are at now. A very tidy ground with good playing surface , railed on 3 sides with dugouts & area of cover down 1 side. I could not see any hard standing as I could not get in & viewed from gate. A good sized clubhouse was to left serving both CC & FC I suspect.
Good journey both ways via A41.

Christleton (after a little folding and re-forming) are now in the Chester & Wirral League Premier Division. There is (or was) also a similar small area of cover behind the near goal, presumably hidden from your view by the gate.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on May 16, 2019, 12:55 PM)

villan
First Team Star

May 16, 2019, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #6 of 12 (2061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Andy. I did look them up after posting & noted they played as you say in premier of Chester & Wirral & finished below half way. In yesterdays nice sunshine it looked a pleasant place to watch a game & village was nice as well. This level not usually on my radar but if they rise to county level again I could well be tempted.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 21

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2019, 8:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 12 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plan A was to drive to Podgorica and take in a top Div game at the main stadium, but as I drove towards Budva I came across some horrendous roadworks and with a hire car I didn't fancy driving back in the dark. When they dig up a road in Montenegro they don't muck about. Then a Div2 game appeared on the way back to Dubrovnic, I called in there and the pitch looked ropey, knowing how fussy they can be about dodgy pitches in this part of the World, I needed to investigate as I assumed they would only do Facebook, which I couldn't access on my phone, so I popped into the tourist info, she confirmed the game and then told me it had been moved to Niksic. So off I went, the main reason being, I could get back to Dubrovnic in daylight. I was having a lovely drive through the mountains, stopped for tea and cake and carried on my merry way. Got within 30 minutes of my destination when I came across a few vehicles stopped, they'd only closed the whole road for 2 hours, but no one turned round as there wasn't a plan B. Luckily I could still get to Niksic in time for the game.

OFK Igalo 3-2 Arsenal Tivat
K.O. 16-59 played 2 hours away from Igalo in Niksic
Montenegro Div 2
No Adm or paper
Att 50

At half time Igalo were heading for regional football, but an amazing 10 minute spell when they scored 3 times kept them in the League.
As I drove towards the ground I saw 4 big floodlights and 2 decent looking stands, then my heart sunk as I saw a team warming up on very old looking 3G pitch, luckily they were the Niksic players and my game was being played on another stadium next door. 9 big steps of terracing with seats on most of them, but most importantly an excellent playing surface.
Always amazed at how these teams survive, no admission, no shirt sponsor, no advertsing at the ground. Transpires it's all one mans money, the players are professional and earn 500 euros a Month, which i believe is a reasonable wage in this part of the World. There's certainly no Kudos owning a club like this, so God knows why they do it, more money than sense i assume.
So I tick my ?? Country for a 2nd division game played at a ground that (I assume) used by Ressies and Youths, not too sure if I'll be hung drawn and quartered or put before the firing squad, but at least I got home in one piece and had a lovely meal before bedtime.
I love this part of the World, easily my favourite part of Europe, truly stunning scenery and the 1 euro jugs of red are very acceptable.

(This post was edited by youngster on May 16, 2019, 8:26 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 17, 2019, 2:11 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #8 of 12 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
SPFL Championship Play Off Final First Leg
Raith Rovers v Queen of the South, 1-3, H.T. 0-2, Att 2741 (301 Away), Admission £14 / £7, Steak Pie £1.90, Coffee £1.80, Programme £2
At Stark’s Park, Kirkcaldy

Raith only really played in the first 15 minutes and the last ten.

I was unfortunate to have tuned into BBC Alba for the bit in between
and it was shocking, well Raith were.

They struggled to string more than one pass together and were regularly
ripped apart every time QoS broke - on either flank.

What is the deal with Alba when you have two commentators but only
one of which appears to speak Gaelic?

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

May 17, 2019, 7:56 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #9 of 12 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The co-commentator is usually a football "expert".

They would find it impossible to find anyone suitable who speaks Gaelic.

I suppose it also makes the coverage a bit more accessible for non-Gaelic speakers (i.e. 99% of the population of Scotland).

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 17, 2019, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #10 of 12 (947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I suppose it also makes the coverage a bit more accessible for non-Gaelic speakers (i.e. 99% of the population of Scotland).

Just typical of the mentality of football players; wasting their youth learning to play football when they could have been doing something useful like learning to speak Gaelic. Tongue

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 17, 2019, 11:40 AM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #11 of 12 (846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

18:45 ~ York FL, League Senior Cup Final

Old Malton St. Mary's 3 {19' 45'+2 57'og}
Easingwold Town 1 {90'+2}

Played on the football pitch next to the railway line, at a very busy New Earswick Sports Club - which had kids cricket & rugby taking place. The tennis courts, and weight training gym, were also in use!
A predictable victory for the Premier Division champions, who add the League Senior Cup to their earlier York FA Senior Cup success, making it a treble-winning season.
Thought I'd missed my chance to tick this ground when F1 Racing moved out but Pete Coles, who I watched this game with, told me that Strensall Tigers now play here!

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

May 17, 2019, 11:47 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #12 of 12 (833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Wednesday 15th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Just typical of the mentality of football players; wasting their youth learning to play football when they could have been doing something useful like learning to speak Gaelic. Tongue

I've yet to see any evidence of Scots learning to play football.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3