Post #1 of 9 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Friday 10th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bedworth Rangers 0-4 Kenilworth Wardens
@ Hawkes Mill Sports & Social
Coventry Alliance Benevolent Cup Final
Attendance: 70
Admission: £3

Good game, good standard, very competitive and helped by a well-maintained pitch. It was Div 2 v Div 4, but the lower team went into the interval with a thoroughly-deserved 2 goal lead, looked as though they were tiring as we entered the second period and then sealed the win with a couple of breakaway goals.

The action took place at Hawkes Mill S&S on the north-west fringe of Coventry. I believe there used to be a team of the same name in the Coventry Alliance but I think they've dropped out in the last year or two. Anyway, it's a very presentable venue for this level, being fully enclosed with two football pitches at the end of a narrow driveway. The first pitch you see is the main pitch and this is enclosed with a mixture of rail, fence, rope and hedge, there are dugouts on the near side and also some hard-standing on this side. A tidy clubhouse is behind the left goal and you could also buy hot drinks & rolls from the bar. Parking was a bit tight along the near side but they also opened up the area behind the right goal for latecomers.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

May 10, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #2 of 9 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Friday 10th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Achilles 4 Cornard United 3
Suffolk Senior Cup Final
Portman Road

Admission: £8
Programme: £1
Attendance: 768

A win for the lower league team, Achilles in what was a cracking final. Achilles, an Ipswich team and actually the closest other club to Portman Road went ahead on 20 minutes and extended the lead on 36 minutes but there were chances at both ends with Cornard hitting the bar and having a goal disallowed.

Achilles hit a third in the second half and that should have been it, a Cornard player got Red card with just a couple of minutes left and then 10 man Cornard got a goal back in the last minute, we then entered injury time.

Achilles got a 4th and then Cornard got two further goals for what was a thrilling end to a great final.

Last New ground; Maidenhead United, Games in 2019/20 Season; 41, New Grounds this Season; 19, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Rotherham United, League One (23/10/19)

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 10, 2019, 10:25 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 9 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Friday 10th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SJFA West Premiership
Troon 1-0 Glenafton Athletic
Portland Park, Troon
Admission £6/£3
Programme - Yes
Bar and usual catering
Attendance 250

Troon went into this game needing one point to retain their place in the Premiership. With their remaining matches being against the Scottish Junior Cup finalists, Auchinleck Talbot and Largs Thistle it was probably their best chance of salvation.

It turned out to be the Ryan Stevenson Show. He was immense - serving up the best individual display I have seen this season in Scottish non-league football. Stevenson is 34 now, with a back story of multiple league clubs in both Scotland and England. Locals were pointing out that when he joined Troon he was pretty unfit, but he has worked hard and tonight he was still going strong after 90 minutes. Playing largely on the right wing he tormented the Glenafton defence all night. It wasn’t just the Glens’ backs who were given a torrid time though. He was not particularly tolerant of the shortcomings of his less gifted team mates either.

It was fitting that the game’s only goal was scored by Stevo - an absolute scorcher from 30 yards just before half time.

Both sides created chances with Troon having the better of it. Troon impressed me, having a good mix of youth and SPFL experience.

Portland Park is looking good these days, though the pitch no longer resembles the bowling green it once did. The club’s amateur side also uses it so there is more wear and tear. The training area behind the goals is now fully floodlit.

The game was played in a good spirit but there was a flare up after the final whistle when one of the Glenafton coaching staff said something derogatory towards Troon’s central defender John Gemmell. Fortunately for the Glens man Gemmell was restrained, with difficulty, by his colleagues. Gemmell (“He’s a future Scotland international” - John Lambie) is a giant of a man.

As I left the ground I could hear the home team celebrating in the dressing rooms with a chorus of “I do like to be beside the seaside”.

(This post was edited by PaulC on May 10, 2019, 10:36 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

May 10, 2019, 11:28 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Friday 10th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Abertillery Bluebirds 0 Rogerstone 2 (aet)

Pen-y-Pound Stadium: County Motors Gwent County League Cup Final

A visit to the Gwent County League Cup final at the Pen-y-Pound Stadium has become somewhat of a tradition over the past decade. I have only missed a couple of these matches since I first watched PILCS face Chepstow Town back in the 2010/11 season. Abertillery Blurbirds are the current holders of the trophy after having defeated Fairfield United 3-1 in last term’s final to complete a cup double after overcoming Malpas Civil Service 5-1 to lift the Gwent Amateur Cup for good measure. This was my second visit to the home of Abergavenny Town within the space of a week after watching Gwent County Leaguie Second Division club Abertillery Excelsiors beat lower-graded Crickhowell 5-0 to claim this season’s Gwent Amateur Cup for the first time in their history. The Excelsiors local rivals, Abertillery Bluebirds, narrowly missed out on securing the Gwent County League First Division title last season to Albion Rovers but made up for that disappointment this time by finishing five points clear of Ynysddu Welfare at the summit of the table and earn a return to the Welsh League for next term. The Blubirds last outing was their 4-2 semi-final victory at Pill YMCA last Thursday evening after overcoming Villa Dino Christchurch, Caerleon, Oak FC and Mathern in the previous rounds of the competition. Rogerstone concluded their campaign in third position behind Second Division champions Newport Corinthians and Abertillery Excelsiors and gained promotion to the top-flight of the Gwent County League in the process. The Welfare Grounds club defeated First Division Abercarn United 2-1 in the semi-finals last Thursday after enjoying victories over Machen, Cromwell Youth and Abertillery Excelsiors to reach this evening’s final.

The match commenced five minutes later than the scheduled 6:30pm kick-off due too the heavy rain that started to fall just before the final was to get underway. I did wonder whether the match would get underway given the amount of precipitation that fell on the playing surface in a relatively short space of time. The Second Division underdogs made a positive start as they aimed to lift this trophy for the first time in their history as they save a near post drive parried by the Bluebirds goalkeeper in the fifth minute before a deep free-kick was palmed away at the far post before being scrambled away to safety. The First Division champions saw a 25 yard effort on goal saved in the 33rd minute after previously seeing a goal ruled out by an offside flag. Abertillery Bluebirds twice came close to opening the scoring just after the hour mark as firstly a close range effort was blocked after the cup holders broke from their won half before a Bluebirds forward latched on to a through ball but could only only shoot at the Rogerstone custodian. The league champions pulled a 68th minute shot wide from the edge of the penalty area before the Newport outfit headed wife from a free-kick played into the penalty area three minutes later. The Bluebirds should have done better with a header from a 75th minute hanging cross delivered into the penalty area before the Second Division outfit had a great opportunity to claim the cup with five minutes remaining on the clock. Firstly, a close range scrambled effort was well saved by the Bluebirds goalkeeper but the rebound was fired against the crossbar when it appeared easier to score. Rogerstone forged ahead five minutes into extra-time when a forward latched on to a through ball to drive forward before applying a neat finish past the goalkeeper. The Bluebirds saw a substitute dismissed six minutes later and two minutes later their goalkeeper conceded a penalty for bringing down an opponent. One of his defender was shown a red card for seemingly what he said to the referee and the goalkeeper soon followed after receiving a second yellow card. The penalty was duly converted a couple of minutes later and Abertillery Bluebirds were unable to find a way back into the final with just eight men left on the pitch.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 853
Matches: 191
New Grounds: 16

NeilH
Youth Team Star

May 11, 2019, 12:05 AM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #5 of 9 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 10th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fitzwilliam 3 Pembroke 1 (after extra time)
Cuppers Final at Grange Road, Cambridge

The grand finale of the Cambridge University football calendar was a bit later than normal, but worth waiting for. The pitch wasn't in the greatest condition for free-flowing football, having hosted American Football last weekend it was a bit rough to say the least. As I live quite close I took the cycling option to the ground and on the way passed a sizeable number of Fitz fans on their way to the venue, their college being midway between my home and the venue.

As seems to be traditional, the majority of the student fans took over two of the three bays in the large stand opposite the pavilion, any welcomed as long as they weren't smoking or had glass bottles - plenty of tins and plastic pint glasses in view but that was OK. I spent most of the time on the pavilion side along with a few hoppers who had ventured out from Beds, Northants and Oxon - good company all evening.

Having seen Fitz a couple of times earlier in the season I was expecting them to be clear favourites for the Cup and they took the lead midway through the first half. Despite having the majority of the play they didn't take their chances and Pembroke equalised in the 2nd half. Then to extra time, announced at ten minutes each way. The first ten turned out to be eight, the second ten was longer, perhaps twelve but I wasn't really paying attention. It was during the 2nd period that Fitz won Cuppers for the third consecutive season. By now the rain had started to fall and a long shot from a Fitz player seemed to slip through the Pembroke keeper. A few minutes later the Fitz number 11 sealed victory, shirt pulled off as he milked the crowd and celebrated with the subs.

A crowd of over 400, free programmes and free admission. To confirm the very Cambridge feel to the whole event less than 20 cars in the car park but what seemed like at least 200 bikes crammed into the bike parking area, including mine.

Already looking forward to more Cambridge University football next season.......

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 11, 2019, 11:13 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #6 of 9 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Friday 10th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Devon & Exeter League Premier Division
Upottery 3-1 Clyst Valley
Headcount 25 - F + N

Visitors needed to win to finish above the hosts in this end of season game but the hosts were in control and showing no signs of tiredness despite playing in the Seaton Challenge Cup Final only the night before. The opening goal came just before half time, a cracking strike from the edge of the box. The hosts added two more early in the second half before the visitors grabbed a late consolation, the home keeper injured himself coming out to try and prevent the striker rounding him and he had to be replaced by the only substitute they had on the bench.

Ground shares its name with Brechin City - Glebe Park. It's a lovely rural setting amid stunning countryside on the western edge of the village about 6 miles from Honiton. The wooden building in which the changing rooms and small clubhouse are situated doubles as the cricket pavilion, the cricket ground also looks nice and completely separate from the football pitch with no overlap. Surprised they don't need a barrier all the way round the pitch and Premier Division level, just the pavilion side roped off with two dugouts and a wooden fence with advertising boards behind the goal by the entrance but only 6 inches to stand behind as it's at the top of a brick wall with a 5 foot drop to the driveway leading to the small car park underneath. The far end has a high net to prevent stray balls reaching the field behind where sheep were grazing. Two small wooden park bench seats on the unroped far side. Not a ground to rely on SatNav to find, mine would have taken me on a different road round the south of the village ending up a few hundred yards the other side of a hill if I hadn't located it on the way home from Culm United last Monday, best just to key in Hemyock Road.

Turbine View
Reserve Team Regular

May 11, 2019, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Cromer Town, Sheringham, Norwich City, Runton Utd.

Post #7 of 9 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 10th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Abertillery Bluebirds 0 Rogerstone 2 (aet)

Pen-y-Pound Stadium: County Motors Gwent County League Cup Final

A visit to the Gwent County League Cup final at the Pen-y-Pound Stadium has become somewhat of a tradition over the past decade. I have only missed a couple of these matches since I first watched PILCS face Chepstow Town back in the 2010/11 season. Abertillery Blurbirds are the current holders of the trophy after having defeated Fairfield United 3-1 in last term’s final to complete a cup double after overcoming Malpas Civil Service 5-1 to lift the Gwent Amateur Cup for good measure. This was my second visit to the home of Abergavenny Town within the space of a week after watching Gwent County Leaguie Second Division club Abertillery Excelsiors beat lower-graded Crickhowell 5-0 to claim this season’s Gwent Amateur Cup for the first time in their history. The Excelsiors local rivals, Abertillery Bluebirds, narrowly missed out on securing the Gwent County League First Division title last season to Albion Rovers but made up for that disappointment this time by finishing five points clear of Ynysddu Welfare at the summit of the table and earn a return to the Welsh League for next term. The Blubirds last outing was their 4-2 semi-final victory at Pill YMCA last Thursday evening after overcoming Villa Dino Christchurch, Caerleon, Oak FC and Mathern in the previous rounds of the competition. Rogerstone concluded their campaign in third position behind Second Division champions Newport Corinthians and Abertillery Excelsiors and gained promotion to the top-flight of the Gwent County League in the process. The Welfare Grounds club defeated First Division Abercarn United 2-1 in the semi-finals last Thursday after enjoying victories over Machen, Cromwell Youth and Abertillery Excelsiors to reach this evening’s final.

The match commenced five minutes later than the scheduled 6:30pm kick-off due too the heavy rain that started to fall just before the final was to get underway. I did wonder whether the match would get underway given the amount of precipitation that fell on the playing surface in a relatively short space of time. The Second Division underdogs made a positive start as they aimed to lift this trophy for the first time in their history as they save a near post drive parried by the Bluebirds goalkeeper in the fifth minute before a deep free-kick was palmed away at the far post before being scrambled away to safety. The First Division champions saw a 25 yard effort on goal saved in the 33rd minute after previously seeing a goal ruled out by an offside flag. Abertillery Bluebirds twice came close to opening the scoring just after the hour mark as firstly a close range effort was blocked after the cup holders broke from their won half before a Bluebirds forward latched on to a through ball but could only only shoot at the Rogerstone custodian. The league champions pulled a 68th minute shot wide from the edge of the penalty area before the Newport outfit headed wife from a free-kick played into the penalty area three minutes later. The Bluebirds should have done better with a header from a 75th minute hanging cross delivered into the penalty area before the Second Division outfit had a great opportunity to claim the cup with five minutes remaining on the clock. Firstly, a close range scrambled effort was well saved by the Bluebirds goalkeeper but the rebound was fired against the crossbar when it appeared easier to score. Rogerstone forged ahead five minutes into extra-time when a forward latched on to a through ball to drive forward before applying a neat finish past the goalkeeper. The Bluebirds saw a substitute dismissed six minutes later and two minutes later their goalkeeper conceded a penalty for bringing down an opponent. One of his defender was shown a red card for seemingly what he said to the referee and the goalkeeper soon followed after receiving a second yellow card. The penalty was duly converted a couple of minutes later and Abertillery Bluebirds were unable to find a way back into the final with just eight men left on the pitch.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 853
Matches: 191
New Grounds: 16

Also at the final and can't possibly add to the in depth report except to add Entry £3 inc program (around £2.81 for me as gate man preferred my change to a £5 as he was short of coinage) Hot drinks in excellent tea bar in mugs £1 remained open right through et Att hc was 328. A top visit is Pen Y Pound.

Have no Plan A and apply it rigidly..

(This post was edited by Turbine View on May 11, 2019, 7:19 PM)

PaulC

May 15, 2019, 5:43 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 9 (860 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
SJFA West Premiership
Troon 1-0 Glenafton Athletic
Portland Park, Troon
Admission £6/£3
Programme - Yes
Bar and usual catering
Attendance 250

It turned out to be the Ryan Stevenson Show. He was immense - serving up the best individual display I have seen this season in Scottish non-league football.

Troon’s captain quoted in this week’s Ayrshire Post

“I said to Stevo at the end that is was an absolute pleasure to be on the same pitch as him. His performance was the best I have seen in my eight years here - he was unplayable at times.

royals26

May 17, 2019, 2:04 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #9 of 9 (464 views)
Shortcut

Wycombe & District League - League Cup Final (Tom Hooker)

Alfred Davis Memorial Ground - Oak Tree Road - Marlow FC

FC Tradesmen 2-2 HS Crusaders
FCT W7-6 on pens and win the treble - no ET played

{1st v 2nd of 6 Shocked}

Adm: Free + competition Programme

Att: h/c 200+

Directions/facilities: regular here

Match:

Very poignant occasion - programme detailed that this was the 'final' Cup Final, as the league announced they are disbanding after 130 years citing:

- falling membership - as above - now only 6 teams in one division - following wholesale defections to other local leagues

- remaining membership a hardy half-doz. comprising, from what I could work out, five discrete clubs FCT - based @ Lane End; FC Leisure from Totteridge; HS x 2 - the current manifestation of Hazlemere Sports; Gt Missenden and Prestwood [Reserves] - their Senior side had gone to Aylesbury & D. leagues

and a serious lack of willing officials.

A minutes silence was held before the game (not announced whilst I was there - arr. about 15' before KO) possibly for the former League chairman and patron of the cup (Tom Hooker himself) who had passed away earlier this year.

No 'Kath's Kitchen' open this evening but 'partyplanners' were there grilling food inside a marquee - few young lads cooking to order, home produce: burgers, sausages etc quite pricey and with a posh coffee outlet operating too.

0-1
0-2

Ht

1-2
2-2 in last 5'

An injury to FC Tradesmen keeper in stoppage time - he dashed out to bring down an HS forward who had broken clear and injured himself in the process. He needed be subbed off and an outfield player took over

Decided not to stay for pens - preferring to leave my lasting memory of this league, scant as it is, with a well played and (for the most part) honestly fought out Cup Final
- and I had an appt nearer home with several beers awaiting. Tongue

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3