Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Strahov

leohoenig
Administrator

May 8, 2019, 9:00 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 1 (676 views)
Shortcut
Strahov Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 1993, I was new to international hopping and with a certain Mr. Harrup and I made my first trip to the Czech Republic.

The split between the Czech and Solvak Republics had happened a few months before, but they were still operating a unified Czechoslovakian League, and this would prove to be the only game I ever saw in it.

The game was played on a Friday, with a 5 pm kick off. I had been at Trelleborgs in Sweden the night before, so the journey was the overnight from there to Berlin, and then onto Prague. We were not even staying in Prague but carrying on for Innsbruck the next day. From Innsbruck it would be another overnighter to get to Denmark for Sunday.

Anyway, I may have been a bit disorientated by the journeys.

My abiding memory of my first entry to the Czech capital was that not much was open, and that we walked up to Strahov which involved a major climb. This was certainly down to Andy, who had the maps. I am sure there would have been an alternative by tram or bus.

The point is that nothing about the venue stuck in my mind. The match record just shows that Slavia won 5-0 and for any Liverpool supporters out there, Patrik Berger got a hat-trick, Vladimir Smicer also scored while (for 'Lautern fans) Pavel Kuka scored the other goal from the penalty spot. Boby Brno were the losing side

I now now that there are two distinct stadia at Strahov. The massive grounds the size of nine pitches and the more standard stadium, aka Evžena Rošického.

The question is, does anyone know enough about who played where at the time to confirm which stadium I went to? Evžena Rošického has staged many matches for different clubs since (including Slavia while Eden was being redeveloped), while the big area is used by Sparta as a training ground and for U-21 matches.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3