Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Monday 6th May 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

timmy tabby
First Team Star

May 7, 2019, 6:02 AM

Post #26 of 40 (3929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....And another at Longmead for Tonbridge 2 v 0 Merstham and the annual appointment with IDT (Isthmian Delayed Time) that also affected the 2018 Premier Division Play Off Final. Just meant that the wait that we had encountered after arriving at 13.45 was extended by a few minutes and the anecdotes emanating from the present Men of Kent/Kentish Men allowed the minutes to rapidly pass.

Fully agree with the Spur of Horrnchurch that this was a Play Off contest that never truly ignited and from this angle gave the occasional impression that it was a late season match between two teams becalmed in midtable that had nothing to play for. Merstham as the veritable and also present Mr Druryszki remarked that they were a 'beaten team' from the moment they went behind. Clear that their attempts to level once they had conceded were of a somewhat tame nature.

In what was a fairly non-descript opening, Merstham looked slightly the more adept of the two going forward. However, they had to contend with the fact that in Figueira they had a striker who took a totally single minded approach to proceedings thus ignoring the fact that a low cross from the left towards better positioned fellow forwards rather than a shot into the side netting would surely have brought about a more successful outcome. On the opposite flank, a penetrating forage by Sow brought hints of anticipation until his low cross was deflected for a corner off of Lee's studs. Tombridge were infinitely more direct in their approach but made a slow and rather leaden start, however they went in front with what was one of the very few clear cut chances of the entire match when a strident run from Turner down the left resulted in a low cross which rebounded into the oath of McKenzie and from 10 yards out, this was the sort of chance that those of an attacking disposition dream about as he was able to dispatch with ease wide of Tangara.

From thereon, it became a routine passage to the POSuperF for the hosts and from observing it was clear that the dismissal of Cook for Merstham affected their play far more than the dismissal of Miles for Tonbridge. Praise for the man in black who overall had an excellent game for his quick no nonsense approach to the shoving and kicking incident involving the above, clear that there was to be no toleration of what occurred and both were quickly dismissed.

Despite having plenty of second half short passing possession, Merstham were unable to translate into anything that looked likely that they were going to level. The more direct approach employed by Tombridge produced the more clear cut chances with one efficiently constructed passing movement involving Theobalds and then McKenzie but the final effort from Turner flew wide of the far post. Parter also adopted a more direct approach with an uninterrupted run from inside his own half that took him past some feeble Merstham defensive challenges but there was to conclude one step too many and a brave dive at his feet by Tangara ended the progress. Few if any opportunities for Merstham apart from an angled effort from Michael-Percil which lacked the pace and accuracy to beat Henly at the near post and ended up as a routine save.

To ensure that there were no post ninety minute panics, Tonbrdige doubled their advantage from a penalty after a clear nudge from Samuels sent Theobalds to the ground and Turner's robustly taken penalty straight down the middle as Tangura dived to his right reflected the fact that Tonbridge's more effective play was on this occasion far more productive. However, it was clear that this was a rather docile contests that rarely captivated.

Unlike the previous days trip to Maldon, this was an occasion when there was a definite joined up theme in terms of train travel. The only down side seemed our mutual inability to locate the Tonbridge outlet of Mr Druryszki's favourite beverage outlet and instead lunch was taken at the local Greggs with requests that a quest for the above rather than Costa's almost certainly falling on deaf ears. Post match to the town JDW yielded a Mushroom Risotto, that was surprisingly almost perfect and the accompanying Whitstable Brewery Pale was more than palatable. Crowded but speedy return journey and indoors just before 21.00.....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on May 7, 2019, 6:14 AM)

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

May 7, 2019, 6:23 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #27 of 40 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottsas] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Middlefield Wasps 3-3 Grammar FPs
Aberdeenshire Amateurs, Div. 2 East

f&n, h/c 15

No such thing as a Bank Holiday up here, so after a day at work I thought I should get into the (English) BH spirit by going to the beach. ...Beach Park, Balmedie that is.
Just up the coast from Aberdeen this comfortable commuter village sits a distance behind the coastal sand dunes, with the open pitch in the hinterland between the two. But so is the sewage works, making viewing a game here a 'pungent' experience. Deducing where the outlet pipe was going, I chose not to go for a paddle. And a walk on the beach is ruined by the string of monstrosity offshore wind turbines - the ones Trump thought he'd talked Alex Salmond out of when opening his nearby golf course.

Wasps' last match of the season, penultimate in the bottom level, receiving a mid-table side. On paper a dead rubber, but it didn't turn out that way. A thriller, with the lead switching throughout, two of the hosts' goals set pieces 'from the training ground' which pleased their manager. He wasn't as amused though when his forward missed an open goal from just one yard out with the last kick of the match, that would have won it.

Other comedy mis-kick of the evening : a Wasps player went down with an injury so his colleague hoofed the ball to put it out, but mis-struck it and instead fired it straight into the head of his prostrate pal! All saw the funny side of it though and he was OK to carry on.

No ale stops today since in the car, plus still drying out from the over-indulgence of the weekend.

mxhornet
First Team Star

May 7, 2019, 6:57 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #28 of 40 (3821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

King's Lynn Town - 3 Alvechurch - 0
Southern League Premier Central Division Play Off Final
The Walks
Admission - £13
Programme - free (online only), free teamsheet

Second successive visit to King's Lynn having been in town for the GEAR 10k on Sunday. I hadn't really made up my mind about what to do on Bank Holiday Monday but once this was confirmed as being on I was rather tempted and the more I thought about it I was sure it was a better option than anything else remotely local to me. No physical programme, not enough time to get one printed, though I'm sure other games with the same turn around managed it.
KLT were comfortable winners with goals coming after 10 minutes, a 49th minute penalty and a third after 87 minutes. Given the large crowd the atmosphere was a rather subdued, quite possibly as the prize for winning was a trip to Warrington Town rather than direct promotion. Another one for the dubious official crowds committee I was expecting something on a par with Sunday's race finishers (2328) particularly with it being an all pay fixture. Regardless of the exact figure such is the size and layout of The Walks that it was still easy to view the game with out being squashed or having your view blocked.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 7, 2019, 8:15 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #29 of 40 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fakenham Town 0 Long Melford 1
Thurlow Nunn League Cup Final Att; 250 ish
Admission £6 Programme £1 for 32 pages, well produced by Barnes Print , Mr Barnes being the Fakenham Chairman
Played at Diss Town FC

This was really quite dismal fare on offer, settled in the first half by a good header following a right wing cross that the Fakenham keeper just could not keep out. That was really the only bit of quality on offer, with the ball being hoofed and passes being misplaced regularly. The discipline and attitude of both teams left a lot to be desired and it was no surprise when Fakenham were reduced to 10 with half an hour to play when one of their number received a second yellow for a high foot catching an opponent.
I expected more, Fakenham finished 6th in Step 6 and Long Melford only just avoided the drop from step 5, but there was a noticeable difference in the teams abilities. Long Melford always looked more likely to add to their tally rather than concede, I don’t recall their keeper having a save to make.
Brewers Green Lane is a fine venue for this level. An excellent sturdy raised stand on one side with about 250 seats is complimented by a decent covered terrace behind one goal that stretches the entire width. Curiously the officials change under the stand and the teams in the corner of the ground, meaning the men in black need to walk across the area where spectators congregate to take to the field. Surely a ground grading breach ? Otherwise a cracking venue.
Just a shame about the match...

Myself and Wiretown.Editor also in attendance at this one and completely agree with Bigaitch's summing up of proceedings. Long Melford were bigger and stronger, Fakenham rarely looking like threatening an equaliser in a very low key final. I've not seen an official crown figure but we also arrived at a headcount of 250. Pre-match refreshments courtesy of the community-owned, volunteer-run Fox Inn, Garboldisham which offered a very friendly welcome and is well worth a visit, plus a quick half in the Saracen's Head in Diss.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

May 7, 2019, 12:21 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #30 of 40 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Juniors League Cup Second Group Phase
Pumpherston v Kinnoull, 3-2, , Att c.60, Admission £6, No paper, Pie £1
At Recreation Park, Pumpherston

A thoroughly entertaining match between two evenly matched sides was settled deep into staoppage time with a Pumphy winner. It was possibly harsh on a Kinnoull side who deserved something for their efforts. The Perth side still have a chance to go through from the group – they must beat Livi United home and away by an aggregate of five goals or more.

My recollection of how we got to the final scoreline is somewhat hazy due to the Guildford Arms Beer Festival and a top up stop min the Cawburn Inn pre kick off. If I recall correctly Pumphy led, then were 1-2 down, and came back to win. I cannot check my facts on the Pumphy twitter as I am still blocked after upsetting them about eight years ago! LOL indeed.

The big number 9 for Kinnoull looked a player, pacey and direct, although his finishing could have been better. Leading up to half time we had a major outbreak of handbags with things kicking off all over the park. Pumphy’s number 4 was lucky not to get sent off, initially for attacking an opponent, and then for threatening his team mates who tried to intervene.

The Pumphy canteen has had some further improvements with new signage and interior decoration. The portrait of Her Majesty has been moved from above the servery to a spot beside the tv. Pies for £1 cannot be knocked in this day and age.

No programmes tonight – Pumphy usually issue for Saturday games but it’s been a bit hectic recently for them to bother midweek.

I really like the Pumpherston ground which is a real throw-back to the days when the Wewst Lothian town was the oil capital of the world and many times larger than it is today.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

May 7, 2019, 12:55 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #31 of 40 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
East Juniors League Cup Second Group Phase
Pumpherston v Kinnoull, 3-2, , Att c.60, Admission £6, No paper, Pie £1
At Recreation Park, Pumpherston

My recollection of how we got to the final scoreline is somewhat hazy due to the Guildford Arms Beer Festival and a top up stop min the Cawburn Inn pre kick off. If I recall correctly Pumphy led, then were 1-2 down, and came back to win. I cannot check my facts on the Pumphy twitter as I am still blocked after upsetting them about eight years ago! LOL indeed.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Indeed the GA BF did for you! (as it had done for me on Saturday). For those of us not (yet) blocked from their twitter, it says the sequence was 0-1 Kinnoull, 1-1, 2-1 Pumphy, 2-2, 3-2 (last minute).

prorege

May 7, 2019, 1:06 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #32 of 40 (2863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I tried pints of Heavy Industry Pigeon Toed Orange Peel (5.2%), Great Heck Dunkel Weiss (4.6%), Mallinson's Comfort Zone (4.2%), Neepsend Wolf IPA (5.5%), Windswept Wolf (6.0%) and Equator Pineapple and Grapefruit IPA (5.6%). Some of them were absolutely foul.

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

May 7, 2019, 2:37 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #33 of 40 (2690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stansted 1 - 0 West Essex
Essex Senior League Challenge Cup Final
At Bishop's Stortford FC
Admission £7; programme free

A really hard fought battle, this one, with a fair bit of needle from both sides. Stansted, league runners up, and looking for an ESL cup double, took a while to get going, and let their mid table opponents dominate to some extent. Essex certainly played the better football, but neither side looked like they would score if they were there all night for most of the match.
Essex had the two best chances, right at the end of each half, the first cleared off the line, and the second a clear one on one foiled by the keeper.
They lived to regret those misses as Stansted snatched a win with a scrappy goal in the last minute of injury time.

Attendance announced at over 400, the car park at the ground was rammed, with a fair bit of creative parking required. They also obviously expected everyone to watch the cup presentation, as the exit gates weren't opened at the end, with a few going out over the turnstiles - certainly never had to escape from a ground before...

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

May 7, 2019, 2:57 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #34 of 40 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilT] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Final

Reading U23 1 Slough Town 3

Played at Bracknell Town

Entry - £8. Programme - Yes, free. Attendance - c800. Weather - Dry but cool.

After many machinations in the halls of the B&BFA about who should play in this match, we finally had the final take place. A good size crowd saw an even first half until we had three goals. Sam Togwell on 25 and a penalty from Manny Williams on 30 for the Rebels, and a response from Nevers on 35. The U23's were a bit ill disciplined and had 3 booked, with a couple of those sailing a bit close to the wind for a second. The second half had the younger legs of Reading gradually get on top but the Slough goal wasn't tested that much tbh and the Rebels scored the clincher on 86, an excellent shot from the edge of the box from full back Jackman.

Slough won this cup for the first time since 1980/81, when ex Everton man Pat Morrissey scored at hat trick of penalties against Milton Keynes City.

Just one moan. I had to queue for about 6-7 minutes to get in as Bracknell were only using their 2 normal turnstiles. I thought that teams at Step 3 had to have a second set of turnstiles for use at big games. As this attendance was the biggest they have ever had at this ground, why weren't the other turnstiles open? What's the point of these daft groundgrading requirements if, on the rare occasions they are needed, they don't bother to use them?

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

May 7, 2019, 4:31 PM

Post #35 of 40 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Garswood 0-1 Blacon Youth....Cheshire League.... F&N.....K.O 1300

A decent run down the M6 to J24 saw us soon parked up at Garswood FC. Good to see the nets up as both Clubs twitter sites were ominously quiet.

The game produced few clear cut chances and it was Blacon's No11 who did the damage on 88 minutes. The ball came back off the bar and he half volleyed it past the keeper. A watchable game despite the showers that were passing through. The Clubhouse is behind the car park end goal and a bit of a tardis. Didn't expect such a decent facility inside and the lean too cover provided shelter for most the second half.
Blacon in Boavista 'chessboard black and white' shaded the game as the three points winged their way back Chester way.

From there it was a quick nip up the M6 and home to Fleetwood for a bight to eat and to drop the missus off, before heading out again up the M6....not enough time to make Harthill so opted for Dumfries.

Heston Rovers 1-0 Stranraer SOS...SSFL League Cup 2nd Round...Palmerston Park...k.o 1930...Adm £3...Prog £1

Arrived at Palmerston after a wet drive north, parking up in good time.
After consulting the League table, I expected Stranraer to walk this. They'd won all but one league fixtures this season and drew that other game. Heston finished in the top third.

Stranraer tried to play all their football on the deck whereas Heston mixed it up a bit, and it made for a decent game of football. The only goal came from the home No5 on 24 minutes...when played through, the No5 finished in style past the advancing keeper.
Heston survived decent second pressure from the visitors to progress to Round 3.

Good to revisit Palmerston, hadn't been here since Steve Archibald's Spanish Airdrie side visited many moons ago. It still retains the old fashioned terraces and Main Stand. The build up of moss on the Stand roof has led to a dozen or so seagull nests being created.... scaffolding is also still in place around two of the old floodlights, looks like some telecom gadgetry is being fitted. The Tesco next door is now an indoor G4 football centre and proving popular.

Good to see they opened more than one Stand tonight, the only one off limits was the old Main Stand. Crowd around 40 or so.

royals26

May 7, 2019, 11:22 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #36 of 40 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Played at Bracknell Town

After many machinations in the halls of the B&BFA about who should play in this match,.....

I thought that teams at Step 3 had to have a second set of turnstiles for use at big games.

...I think these had a direct bearing on the squad selection for our side. Many of the Reading FC U23 squad - who aren't injured or out on loan - had played on Friday evening in a Play Off (unsuccessfully - went out to Newcastle Frown) and a significant number of the others, who had played in this tournament previously, are now with the first team squad.

There was some sympathy for Mark ('Barts') Bartley manager of the expelled Marlow; for their transgressions were allegedly committed by all three of the other semi-finalists but Marlow's appeal to be re-instated was thrown out on grounds of late submission.
Rather smacks of the County FA covering their own backs and leaning on a technicality - as a sop they did at least move the Final from the ground of the side they had re-instated: Slough Town.

So best to draw a veil quickly over the B&B Competition for this year but the side that turned out for us (RFC) on Monday, probably bore little resemblance to the one that had got us there - and even THAT was pretty much packed with the u18 squad.

...and strictly speaking Bracknell are currently still at STEP04 - but even at that level I thought they are supposed to have a 2nd ingress/turnstile. Or at least have capacity to provide one if needed - there are other STEP04 clubs that have them, such as Egham and Thatcham locally, which have 'dummy' unused entrances presumably just for grading purposes?
I'm fairly certain Larges Lane doesn't have another one, at the moment - presumably they could 'knock one through' up the far end of the clubhouse buildings if needs be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...meanwhile....

Aldershot Senior Cup or Aldershot Divisional FA Saturday Senior Invitation Cup Final - to give it it's full name. Wink

EBB Stadium - Aldershot Town FC

Camberley Town 4-1 Knaphill
{16th CCLP v 11th CCLP}

Adm: £6 with free competition programme

Att: didn't h/c probably close to 300 - possibly about 50/50 too - though there are also usually some neutrals/locals from the (w)Rec, as us older Royals fans generally refer to this 'edifice.'

Directions/facilities: usually here for one or more of the divisional FA finals - easy parking next door in the Ordnance Rd Car Park under the shadow of the big ol' Telephone Exchange

... headed out down A33 via Hartley W/Fleet and across Tweseldon to Wellington Ave (A323) past the superstore following signs to the Football Club and left up the hill at the 2nd roundabout beyond Burger King. Car Park has a pedestrian exit directly into the Ground, right alongside the decorative Buddhist temple - which appears to have some demolition works ongoing. Not very Zen ? Tongue

Not sure if this arrangement is ever in place for Sh!ts Angelic games but the turnstiles are only down on the main road.

John McGinty Bar open upstairs and down - FL prices though; as is the big Burger Van inside the ground. Unsure

Match: effectively over inside about 20' as Cambo built up a three goal lead which they held up to HT - extending this not long after.

'Knappers' were shell-shocked but had a bit of a go 2nd half and grabbed one goal back - but then suffered a Red Card shortly after.

- Camberley had young Dean Rule in their ranks - England Schools International and very classy he was too - weaved though the Knaphill defence for the 2nd goal - had a good range of passing and moved very comfortably with the ball.

Would expect him to be at STEP01 or 02 with a local side for next season - very likely will be picked up by this PMs hosts, if they have any sense
(slaps self at this point following patently ludicrous observation. Cool)

back home by 17:30 ish

andy smith
Reserve Team Regular

May 8, 2019, 1:07 AM

Team(s): The Pars

Post #37 of 40 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilT] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Bishop's Stortford...
Essex Senior League Challenge Cup
Stanstead 1
West Essex 0
Admission £7.00 including prog'
Att' 417

Have to agree that West Essex were probably the better side although personally I was just glad to get a result without going to extra time as the previous days game at Brackley.. made my way out of ground over the turnstiles as soon as the final whistle was blown, couldn't be bothered to stay for the cup presentation...

Wijit99
Youth Team Sub

May 8, 2019, 2:27 PM

Post #38 of 40 (1277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Played at Bracknell Town

Entry - £8. Programme - Yes, free. Attendance - c800. Weather - Dry but cool.

After many machinations in the halls of the B&BFA about who should play in this match, we finally had the final take place. A good size crowd saw an even first half until we had three goals. Sam Togwell on 25 and a penalty from Manny Williams on 30 for the Rebels, and a response from Nevers on 35. The U23's were a bit ill disciplined and had 3 booked, with a couple of those sailing a bit close to the wind for a second. The second half had the younger legs of Reading gradually get on top but the Slough goal wasn't tested that much tbh and the Rebels scored the clincher on 86, an excellent shot from the edge of the box from full back Jackman.

Slough won this cup for the first time since 1980/81, when ex Everton man Pat Morrissey scored at hat trick of penalties against Milton Keynes City.

Just one moan. I had to queue for about 6-7 minutes to get in as Bracknell were only using their 2 normal turnstiles. I thought that teams at Step 3 had to have a second set of turnstiles for use at big games. As this attendance was the biggest they have ever had at this ground, why weren't the other turnstiles open? What's the point of these daft groundgrading requirements if, on the rare occasions they are needed, they don't bother to use them?

A couple of points to correct here.

Bracknell have only just been promoted to step 4 last season, not step 3, and as such have a few years grace to get the ground up to scratch in terms of ground grading.

The Slough vs Reading attendance was 815, not the biggest the ground has ever had! Two days prior saw a larger attendance in the play off final. Also earlier in the season over 1,100 turned up to see Bracknell vs Reading.

In terms of "long" queuing time, it wasn't helped much by the B&B setting an awkward entry fee of £8 meaning change had to be given to most people, plus having both supporters coaches turning up at the same time with 80-100 people all arriving at once didn't help.

northyork
Junior Team Sub

May 9, 2019, 2:51 PM

Post #39 of 40 (819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

other teams playing there before are Selby RSSC, Station FC, Abbey Vaults ex selby league and brayton fc yorks sunday league. all have now folded or the league ended.

the ground was before 2007 property price crash location of selby towns new ground, when there ground re reaches £5 million pounds then plans are to sell flaxley road and move into stadio denison hence the arena stand at selbys ground,

malt shovel will look at installing dugouts as they are a requirement in the york premier division

other pitches around are used by brayton belles lfc and selby college fc and a unknown rugby team probably selby college rfc

Chris1963

Sep 13, 2019, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #40 of 40 (236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northyork] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With it being very difficult to find a new ground with a programme this day, I opted instead for a re-visit to Elmore v. Bovey Tracey (full-time score 2-2 with a 32 page programme) in the South-West Peninsula League, kicking off at 2 pm. My previous visit to the ground had been on the first day of the 1990’s when a ‘double tick’ opportunity arose with Elmore v Heavitree United at 11 am and Tiverton Town v Taunton Town at 3 pm. However, things did not go perfectly to plan. On that New Year Day’s morning, things got off to a potentially disastrous start when the Circle Line train I was on, for some reason, did not stop at Paddington station. I got off at the next station (Bayswater) and dashed back to Paddington on foot, arriving there just in time to catch my train. The train arrived at Tiverton Parkway on time (which I think must have been around 10.15 am) but another problem arose in that there were no taxis at the station, and it was too early for buses to be running. Eventually one did turn up but not until about 10.45 am. I arrived at the Elmore ground a couple of minutes after the game had kicked off and I actually saw a goal being scored while I was outside the ground! (thanks to either the wire mesh fence which could be easily seen through, or the adjacent footbridge – can’t remember which) and this turned out to be the only goal of the first half and the second half was much more eventful as Elmore lost 2-3. I also saw another high-scoring game in the afternoon when Tiverton Town thrashed Taunton 6-0. However, because I had missed the first few minutes of the match at Elmore, I always wanted to go back to see a game kick-off there, just as I did with the Sunday game at ON Chenecks last month.

So back to 2019, and on this occasion I had no problems in getting to the ground in good time, thanks to the fact that it was an afternoon kick-off. And no need to spend money on a taxi either, as I travelled on a double-decker bus from Tiverton Parkway station (walking the six miles or so from there to Tiverton is not recommended, as there are not many pavements along the route) to Tiverton bus station. Needless to say, with a gap of nearly 30 years since my previous visit, I could not remember anything about the town. I did, however, take the opportunity to go and have a look at Tiverton Town’s Ladymead ground in order to take photos of it, something I had not done in 1990. The ground has not changed very much since then, but I was delighted to find that the main road leading to the ground goes up a steep hill (again, something I could not remember from 1990) and from the top it is possible to get a great photo of the ground. Incidentally, close to Ladymead is a rugby ground with a stand, which means that there are three rugby or football venues with stands in Tiverton. This may well be a record for any UK town without a railway station, if you do not count Tiverton Parkway station as being sufficiently local. Once I had taken some photos, I walked to Elmore’s ground. As already mentioned, there is a footbridge next to the ground but I was surprised to see that the view of the pitch from it is almost completely obscured by trees. Either these trees have grown a lot in just under thirty years, or my memory is playing tricks on me. Elmore’s ground has changed a bit since then, with a new cantilever stand (with new dressing-rooms behind it) replacing the old stand that was previously there. It’s a pity they had to demolish the old stand, as there is enough space available for the new stand to have been built alongside it. The clubhouse that stands behind the goal is presumably the same structure as in 1989-90, although I don’t remember much about it. In fact, I can’t even remember if the model of an eagle that stands above the entrance was there in 1989-90.

The game ended punctually and I was able to catch a bus back to the station quickly. Will I ever return to Tiverton again?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3