First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

May 1, 2019, 9:34 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 33 (6720 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 1st May Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its a public holiday here in France, and that means the rare chance for midweek football.

I chose the last of the quarter-finals for the Coupe de Normandie. A lot of stuff needed doing this morning, so I missed the chance to double header it. The men's game at 16.00 being preceded by a ladies game at the same stage of their competition at the same venue

My game

US Mesnil Esnard Franqueville 2-7 FC Rouen 1899
Admission Ä5. Attendance ~400

The villages of Mesnil Esnard and Franqueville St Pierre lie just outside Rouen. The villages are now joined together by urban sprawl, and lie close enough to the city that if they should ever play on a Saturday, it would be possible to do it by bus. Of course, no buses here on May 1st

The game is at Stade SIVOM, in Mesnil Esnard. I notice the name is shown in capitals, but I could not find anything to confirm this is an acronym.

It is a simple ground, an artificial pitch surrounded all around by standard fencing and a tarmac path. No covered accomodation, but a small club room at one end of the dressing room building.

The ground is within a park, and the fencing around it is simple green plastic coated wire fencing with some sections of netting added above. With the parkland on two sides being much higher than the fence, some of the best viewing is actually from outside the ground, and around 100 people appeared to be sitting in the sunshine enjoying the game for Ä5 less than I paid.

I doubt if this is a problem for league games. The team plays at Regional 2 level, and many teams at that standard (tier 7) do not charge for admission.

FC Rouen is a team left apart from when Quevilly and Rouen merged. Officially the merger has since been cancelled, although the other team at Stade Robert Dichon is still name Quevilly Rouen Metropole. They have dropped the badge which Quevilly and Rouen badges pre-merger. FC Rouen have always kept a version of the clubs original badge.

Rouen have teams at National 3 and Regional 1 level. The team in this match is nominally the First team, but in reality it has more in common with the second XI. I did notice however, that when the same two teams met at the same stadium, in the Coupe de France back in Spetember many of the goalscorers were on the team list (and scorers list) today. Still, it appeared that few, if any were in the squad for a league game last weekend.

FC Rouen had won the Coupe de France game by 5-1.

Previous rounds of this competition were played at weekends with no league games on those weekends (except rearrangements following postponement).

When the teams came out, I was in a bit of a quandary. I expected I would be able to tell the teams by the kits and badges, but both fielded kits provided by the Regional FA with the same adverts and the Normandie FA Badge. I had taken copies of the team lists, but had not noted who the captains were. I therefore worked from the assumption that the two black players on the home side might match those called Diallo, which would make Diop and Anne (surname) the black players on the other team. I hope such assumptions are not racist. They were proved to be correct.

From the moment the game started, it was clear which was the better team, while the crowd showed their appreciation of the efforts from the homesters.

Rouen took the lead after 15 minutes, and although USMEF did well for a while, and even levelled 10 minutes later, there were soon outclassed. A minute after the equaliser, Sertoglu was clipped as he ran past a defender in the area and Diop scored from the resulting penalty. Sertoglu then scored for himself a few minutes later and again to make it 4-1 early in the second period.

Sertoglu was then taken off as the first of the visiting teams changes. It is rolling subs and he returned to claim an assist in his teams final goal.

USMEF never gave up, hitting the bar when 3-1 down and scoring the last goal of the day through the substitute Bolin. Bolin should have added another in injury time, but his shot was a little too soft allowing a defender to get back and clear it from the line.

This was a pleasant afternoon out, and good to see two teams just playing football, with no gamesmanship or time wasting.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

pottersbarbee
Youth Team Regular

May 1, 2019, 9:46 PM

Post #2 of 33 (6688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cuffley v Belstone Herts senior county league. according to fulltime this was a 7pm kick off, both teams have twitter accounts - no mention of the game existing or being off, I arrive to find no goalnets, officials or footballers. 2 other hoppers appeared. strangely full time has 3-1 to cuffley as a result! all very strange!

Dave 56
First Team Sub

May 1, 2019, 9:51 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #3 of 33 (6650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pottersbarbee] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheshire Division 2. KO 18:45. (F&N). Crowd 20.

Mersey Valley 2 v 0 Cheadle Town Reserves

The journey there was shown as 1:02 but actually took 1:52, usual delays on M6 and other roads. Mersey had tweeted yesterday, KO 18:45 food and drink available. Today they tweeted KO 18:30. So running behind schedule I went straight to the ground to find KO 18:45 and no food available. Have to say the ladies at the club were great when I mentioned I hadn't eaten and a few minutes later they took a pizza from a freezer and cooked it for me, refusing to take any money either, what nice people!

The ground is railed off on both sides and one end, has dugouts, nice club house and a large car park. Located just off Carrington Lane in Banky Lane, fairly close to the Bury training complex.

Nothing really at stake in this game but played as though there might of been. Standard not great, with Valley the better side throughout, the visitors had just the bare eleven. Looked for all the world a 0-0 until MV scored twice in the last 7 minutes. Dire referee tonight, both teams extremely frustrated by his performance.

Stress free journey back, home in 55 minutes.

noprogs
First Team Star

May 1, 2019, 9:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 33 (6634 views)
Shortcut

Clydebank 2 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 0
West Region Juniors
Admission £6 Programme £1.50

I have wanted to visit Maryhill for ages, and the unique ground didn't disappoint.
The game did, with the ball rarely on the floor for the first hour, save for the occasional hoof down field which Usain Bolt's faster brother would have struggled to reach.
Unsurprisingly the goals came from a corner and a penalty.
According to the programme, a double issue for this Saturday's game v Troon, both teams were out of form.
It showed.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

May 1, 2019, 9:59 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 33 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Sponsored by 'Syndicat Intercommunal a Vocation Multiple'.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

May 1, 2019, 10:02 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #6 of 33 (6601 views)
Shortcut

Welsh League D3

Trefelin BGC 2(1)-(3)3 Penydarren BGC. £3.50, programme £1. Att c300 + 2

The "Battle of the Boys and Girls Clubs" tonight. This was 2nd v 3rd in the League but both with games in hand over the leaders Penrhiwceiber. Trefelin took an early lead and were the better side for the first half hour, until a 2 goal burst by Penydarren pegged them back. After that they struggled and the deficit was increased by a late penalty. By this stage it was all Penydarren and the home side, without Lee Trundle who was on Swansea duties, were struggling. This first half was probably the best I've seen all season, end to end with 19 goal attempts and total commitment from both sides.
The second half couldn't live up to this, understandably Penydarren sat back and defended their lead well, their centre halves being outstanding. Trefelin couldn't get enough of the ball to find a way through and the one goal they did get back was too late to change the outcome.

This was still an outstanding game and a great advert for the Welsh League. I gave up counting the crowd at roughly 300 (in a League where 30 is common!) Including probably a 100 from Penydarren.

Lovely little ground too, basic, as they are only in their first season at this level, but with a good clubhouse and in a picturesque setting.
The Battle for the League title here is destined to go down to the wire. All 3 sides are very good and would be a credit to a higher League. There are a few games to go so I would recommend anyone to go and watch one of them.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on May 1, 2019, 10:03 PM)

Loiner
First Team Star

May 1, 2019, 11:47 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #7 of 33 (6084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yorkshire Amateur League-Premier.
Leeds Medics & Dentists v Farsley Celtic Juniors 2-1.
At Weetwood Sports Park.

This was 4th in the table at start of play against the unbeaten Champions. No goals, but plenty of skill in the first half. Medics went in front with a penalty five minutes into the second half and it stayed like that until added time when the got a second following a breakaway after a corner with the Farsley 'keeper stranded upfield. Farsley's goal came straight from the restart.

The win lifts Medics in to the runners up spot.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 12:25 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #8 of 33 (5923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian Div.1 North Play-off Semi-Final
Aveley 0-2 Heybridge Swifts

Entry: £10
Attendance: gonna guess roughly 500-to-600

A first visit for me to Aveleyís shiny new Parkside Stadium. By far one of the better new-builds Iíve been to at this level, with an impressive main stand, covered standing and seating dotted around, an impressive large main bar and a well thought-out food bar. Itís a shame that the battered old ground with its steep wooden stand is now a fading memory, but this is certainly a decent enough replacement.

Public transport is another issue: I traveled by train to Ockendon station, on the Upminster-to-Grays line, as I wanted to visit the Theobald Arms pub in Grays beforehand as recommended to me by Timmy Tabby. However, I also know that there is a bus to/from Lakeside Shopping Centre that passes through Aveley, on which you can use a One-Day Travelcard for extra ease. Unfortunately, I seriously underestimated the time it takes to walk from Ockendon to Aveley FC - I made kick-off and left after the final whistle, but it was a good forty-minute walk even at a brisk pace, and I certainly cut my connections finer than I usually would. From Ockendon, there is a large footbridge that spans the eight lanes of the M25 and makes a useful short cut, though I was surprised to see nobody else walking that way either before or after the match (maybe the local football loyalties in Ockendon are directed elsewhere).

And as for the match... Jeez! I canít remember the last time I experienced such a toxic, uncharitable, mean-spirited atmosphere at a match at this level: three sendings off following a prolonged bout of fighting, continual niggling, arguing, foul language and general lack of respect all round. Unfortunately, from what I could see, an uneven volume of this obnoxiousness came from the Heybridge camp: some of the visiting Swift fans seemed to spend much of their time kicking hell out of the back of the stand they were stood in, while also shouting abuse through a loud-hailer at anyone they didnít like - a lot of it directed at the young Aveley no.6 who seemed to have once played for Swifts, and towards the end of the match it was really beginning to affect his play. And that all comes on top of a late burst of controversy when Swifts returned the ball to Aveley after an injury by pumping the ball out of play for a deep throw, then forcing the goalkeeper into conceding a corner from it - incredibly charitable of them!

All-in-all, too many of the Heybridge contingent (both fans and players) came over as a bit too obnoxious and gloating for my liking, though itíd be off of me not to also point out quite how well they played, too. The pace, pressure and teamwork that they showed while spending much of the second half down to nine men deserves praise, at least.

(This post was edited by oxpete on May 2, 2019, 12:30 AM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 12:33 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #9 of 33 (5897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bedfordshire County League Division 2
Elstow Abbey 5-2 Sporting Lewsey Park
Attendance 53 h/c
Free Admission - Programme £1 (20 pages, excellent effort at a level you don't expect to get one)

Hosts take the title with this win, two early goals scored by the shaven headed striker, think he was #10. Visitors pulled a goal back before the break to set up an exciting second half but the hosts regained control scoring a further three to put them out of sight before the visitors grabbed a late consolation which, like my game at Hambledon last night, was arguably the goal of the game, a long range effort into the roof of the net. Abbey were presented with the trophy in front of the changing rooms after the game rather than on the pitch which is a fair walk. Lewsey also secured promotion tonight assuming the top 2 go up as 3rd placed Houghton Athletic lost 4-3 at Luton Leagrave. Meltis Albion can finish level with them but need a 52 goal swing with 3 games each remaining. A few familiar faces in attendance including Brian Buck and hoppers from Reading and Leicester.

One of the most friendly and welcoming clubs I have visited. The chairman, who I don't think is the same person as the secretary who posted about the game on here, said I could have the programme for free when he realised I had travelled all the way from Bournemouth. Ground shared with cricket, the football pitch at the far end enclosed by trees which helped to shelter some of the wind. No pitch barriers except for a white painted line a few yards back from the touchline on the far side with two white brick built dugouts set 10 yards back from the pitch against the trees. The Abbey which bears the club's name is visible behind the goal to the north.

Hornchurchspur
Youth Team Regular

May 2, 2019, 1:03 AM

Post #10 of 33 (5856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Premier South Play Off Semi Final
Metropolitan Police 3 Salisbury 2
Admission £5 (concession) Attendance 448

A decent night's entertainment with the Met Police just shading the first of the three matches they need to win to gain promotion. They took an early lead when a well struck shot from Mazzone found the far corner but Salisbury were level within five minutes when a free kick from out of the left wasn't cleared and Downing fired home from close range. Play then swung from end to end but it was the Police who went back in front just before half time when Salisbury gave away a needless penalty. A Police forward went down in the box but the referee, having waved away the initial shouts for a spot kick, soon had no option but to award the penalty when one of the Salisbury defenders decided to kick the Police forward as he lay on the ground. Mazzone took the kick and only just managed to put the ball past the outstretched hand of the Salisbury keeper.

The visitors came out in determined mood for the second half and soon were well on top. They very nearly equalised with a header that hit the top of the bar but almost immediately the Police doubled their lead when a mix up between a Salisbury defender and the keeper allowed Blackmore to nip between them and head home. Salisbury brought it back to 3-2 with twenty minutes left when another free kick from the left was poorly defended, seemingly evading everbody to end up in the far side of the goal. This was the cue for Salisbury to throw everything into attack but the Metropolitan Police, with a combination of last ditch defending and fairly blatant time wasting, managed to hold on despite seven minutes of added time. Fortunately Thames Ditton station is close to Imber Court so it was still possible to catch the 21.56 back to town although a much longer journey awaited the many disappointed supporters from Salisbury. Next step for the boys in blue is another home tie, this time against Poole on Bank Holiday Monday.

(This post was edited by Hornchurchspur on May 2, 2019, 1:06 AM)

timmy tabby
First Team Star

May 2, 2019, 7:27 AM

Post #11 of 33 (5496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....And another at Parkside for the Aveley v Heybridge Swifts Play Off Semi. For the record the attendance was 573.

A horrible car crash of an evening for the hosts and another for the Iniquities of the Play Off file when Aveley finished 6 points and 3 places above Heybridge and you also take into account that in the PPG Trophy the chances of the visitors achieving promotion is dependant on contests far away and it could be the chance that by the time that the Divisional Play Off Final is played on Sunday that there their promotion chance has completely disappeared.

From my angle though, Heybridge deserved their win against a lumpen Aveley team that did not possess a Plan B to try and prise open the massed home defence after the foul and accompanying brawl that led to 3 dismissals. Too many home players played into the Heybridge trap and although the majority of play in the last half hour was in the visitors half, on too many occasions, possession was cheaply lost enabling Heybridge to dispense with a few further seconds. A task that they undertook both admirably but also resorting periodically to the dark arts of the game, that seemed to rile Aveley even more.

The most noticeable aspect of the visitors play was the ability of Abouhadje (Evans according to FWP) Kouassi on the right who was almost unplayable in the first half. The last thing that the Aveley defence wanted to do was to concede possession in their own half with Kouassi in immediate vicinity. One weaving run forward, one perfect low cross which was whipped in at the near post by Walker at the near post and Heybridge were in front.

Little in the way of response from a languid Aveley front line with Raad completely missing his kick when in a decent position and early in the second half the hosts best opportunity when a Raad's cross from the left should have been a nod in for Bantick but there was no firm connection and the cross glanced off of Bantick and wide. There was already a degree of rancour building and it reached an incensed level when Aveley had what they thought was a perfectly good goal chalked off for offside when a low cross from Raad was touched into his own net by a Heybridge defender, however from my angle the linesman's flag was up very soon after the cross came over and before the ball found the net. Incensed level quickly reached incandescent with the persistently fouling Martin-Sorondo shown a second yellow resulting in the obligatory pushing/shoving/eyeballing. The upshot being straight reds for the visitors Ose-Owusu and Bantick for Aveley who when sprinting off gave fear that the dressing room doors and either or both of the dismissed Heybrige's players safety may be in jeopardy. However, no indication that in the end any further incidents took place.

In keeping with the limp attacking Aveley response, they created few actual chances with the fact that they perpetually attempted to play their way through a massed defence rather than attempt a more direct approach. Richardson found Haigh's midriff with a drive from the edge of the area and then Akrofi angled a half decent chance wide. Pushing forward left Aveley very susceptible to quick break out of defence with a long ball forward seeing Price outpace a slow reacting Aveley defence and his composed finish past Johnson sealed a deserved win for the visitors and sets up a Maldon derby for the Play Off Final.

Like OxPete, hardly the easiest inward journey as a completely unexpected scene around Rainham village to see film producers had commandeered the area around St Helen & St Giles church and had turned a slightly overcast opening day of May into a scene of wintry bleakness ostensibly for a forthcoming costume drama. Meant that the normal 372 service was on the most circuitous of diversions with a simple 12 minute journey taking far longer. As the surrounding roads are closed until 2nd May, it seemed completely logical to accept Geoff of this parish's kind offer of a lift to Upminster. Quick departure avoiding any possible post final whistle player malice leading to the catching of an earlier train and an earlier arrival home.....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on May 2, 2019, 7:44 AM)

mxhornet
First Team Star

May 2, 2019, 7:47 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #12 of 33 (5404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

University of East Anglia - 0 University of Essex - 1
Derby Day 2019
Colney Lane (pitch one)
Attendance - 200+ at kick off, peaked at 400+
Admission - free
Programme - none issued

Derby Day is an annual event between the two universities with them hosting alternately which matches taking place across several sports and a total of 35 matches.
The match itself was quite feisty and niggly, no surprise given the pre-match banter. The game had three appointed officials who coped well. It was a close affair which really could have gone either way, Essex taking the honours with a goal early in the second half. UEA went all out in the last 10 minutes to avoid defeat but to no avail. I would like to have seen the women's match as well but that clashed with the netball which I was already committed to.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

May 2, 2019, 9:18 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #13 of 33 (5086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Juniors League Cup Second Group Stage
Thornton Hibs v Fauldhouse United, 1-1, H.T. 1-0, Att c.50, Admission £6, Programme £2, Pie Stall open
At Memorial Park, Thornton

The end of the season would be unusual for me without at least one midweek visit to Thornton. Having seen Fauldhouse on Monday I was not averse to seeing them again, such had been their performance two days ago. Being unkind one could call them a gang; Being kind you would say they are a bunch of highly committed players with a real enthusiasm for the game.

Thornton are no shrinking violets themselves so the scene was set for a tousy tussle. Thatís how it turned out with plenty of action, controversy, acerbic dissent, goading, gouging and general carry on.

Thornton barely deserved their half time lead after a fairly even 45 minutes. The home side probably had just the better of the second half but it was Fauldhouse who scored Ė overall a draw was a fair result and suits Fauldhouse more than Thornton. The Park View side are now favourites to win the 3 team group and progress to the KO stages.

There wasnít a great turn out with a fair contingent from Fauldhouse and a few neutrals. The attraction of the Champions league on the tv probably kept a few prospective punters at home.

Thorntonís programme is up to the usual superb standard. However, a visitors would probably never realise there was one as they donít make much effort to sell them. You have to know the man in question and ask him nicely, and he will produce one from his bag for you. Itís sop good you would think they would do a big sales pitch on them.

The servery does drinks in proper mugs. Iíd been to Tobyís Chippy beforehand, one of two chip shops on the Main Street. Other than that Thornton has few amenities. Just the one opub remains open Ė the Railway Hotel.

I took the train along to this for a change Ė Glenrothes with Thornton station is just 5 minutes walk from the ground. Regretted my decision when the train due ten minutes after the final whistle was cancelled and we had an hour to wait in metropolitan Thornton. Wouldnít have been so bad if the pub was showing the football but they donít have BT or Sky Ė priced out by the extortionate subscription rates.

pokal02
First Team Star

May 2, 2019, 9:24 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #14 of 33 (5065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pottersbarbee] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....and another Herts Co mystery, spotted Lemsford v Welham Albion at Welwyn Playing Fields (per FULL TIME) and arrived to find nothing happening. Again, the result is showing this morning, 2-1 to Lemsford. Wherever it was played, it certainly wasn't Welwyn Playing Fields.

I don't mind taking the risk for this league as they are generally only 20-minute drives for me, but I do think they should get their act together (this is the third time this has happened to me in the last 3 years).

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 9:45 AM

Post #15 of 33 (4996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dorset Premier League

Corfe Castle 1-4 Blandford United

F&N
Att: 35
No refreshments available

Strange game - At half time it was 1-1. Corfe player getting a free header at a corner, the visitors equalising shortly before half time with a daisy cutter which the home keeper did his best "Casper" from the film Kes to dive over the ball.

Blandford just couldn't score first half, a mixture of alot better goalkeeping or wayward finishing, and Corfe couldn't score early in the 2nd, only to then give 3 gifts in wayward passes in 10 minutes around the 65-75 minutes wrapped up the win for Blandford.

The view of Corfe Castle as as good as mentioned in previous WDYG, indeed the whole village could well have been a painted chocolate box picture for tourists with Purbeck stone, thatched roofs etc.

Game spent in the pleasant company of Vic Parker and Yorkie Exile.

A35, A31 and M27 well behaved afterwards and back indoors by 9:45pm

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

APL
First Team Star

May 2, 2019, 11:10 AM

Post #16 of 33 (4745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
....and another Herts Co mystery, spotted Lemsford v Welham Albion at Welwyn Playing Fields (per FULL TIME) and arrived to find nothing happening. Again, the result is showing this morning, 2-1 to Lemsford. Wherever it was played, it certainly wasn't Welwyn Playing Fields.

I don't mind taking the risk for this league as they are generally only 20-minute drives for me, but I do think they should get their act together (this is the third time this has happened to me in the last 3 years).

They got their act together enough to inform both their own players and the opposition, as well as the Referee, if indeed the match took place, where it was being played. Third time it has happened to you........perhaps it is a case of someone else getting their act together ? Tongue

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-1-2

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-6-8-25-173-304-259

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

(This post was edited by APL on May 2, 2019, 11:12 AM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 12:22 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 33 (4569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whilst others have reported on the "interesting" Bostik North S/F, I went to the other one.

Maldon 1-0 Coggeshall
Att 494, looked about right, appeared at least half of the crowd was from Coggeshall or neutral.
Adm £10/5, prog? Normally I get into a ground at 19-44, as Don Q wanted me to get him some progs I went in at the ridiculous early time of 19-20, sorry, sold out!! Was told later they didn't do many which must have been right as I only saw a handful of people with one.
2 very good sides produced an enthralling encounter, both defences were excellent. Both sides threw plenty of players forward in an attempt to break the deadlock. Maldon took the lead on the hour, but the expected onslaught from Coggeshall never happened and if anything Maldon just get better and stronger as the game wore on. Whilst at Aveley the ref appeared a very busy man, this official let a lot go. Is there a better pitch at this level in the Country? I very much doubt it, the tie up with Colchester is certainly paying dividends in that department.
So Maldon V Heybridge local derby for the final, and thankfully it doesn't matter a jot that Heybridge are in the red zone, as they would love nothing more than to deprive their nearest and dearest the chance of promotion.
As well as the excellent entertainment on the pitch, off the field was also jolly as I bumped into Runwell for the first time this season.

(This post was edited by youngster on May 2, 2019, 12:26 PM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 12:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 33 (4523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [APL] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They got their act together enough to inform both their own players and the opposition, as well as the Referee, if indeed the match took place, where it was being played. Third time it has happened to you........perhaps it is a case of someone else getting their act together ? Tongue

Andy where did you go?? Oh no, you cant be bothered to tell us, you only come on this section when you want to have a pop at someone. For the record, I have trusted league websites for years, and it all that time I've only ever had one no show, also in the Herts County League, but I was only passing through so it didn't matter. I don't watch hardly any low level stuff these days, but for future reference, is it just the Herts County League that appears to be fictional, or are there others? Would love to know, as all the ones I've looked at are very reliable.

bd
Youth Team Regular

May 2, 2019, 2:15 PM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #19 of 33 (4209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Division 1 West Playoff Semi-Final
Cirencester Town (0)1-(0)2 Cinderford Town
Att: 411
Entry £10

Cinderford travelled across Gloucestershire knowing that even with victory in this and a final would not see them promoted, however, they dominated proceedings at the Corinium in what was a reasonably entertaining game of football. Not much to shout about in a tight first half with both teams cancelling each other out, however, the game came to life in the second half with Alan Griffin's acrobatic finish to put the hosts ahead.

This was quickly cancelled out by The Forester's who struck back through Craig Norman as the Cirencester defence was opened up and then hit a devastating 90th minute winner when it appeared the young Ciren keeper made the save, but ended up in the back of the net with the ball somehow. Looked from my vantage point like he should have just parried it after not really catching much all night long under heavy aerial bombardment and crowding at every opportunity from the visiting side.

Ciren have now missed out 2 years on the trot, (falling short last year on the last day and now finishing 2nd and losing a semi) despite being one of the highest scoring and entertaining teams to watch both seasons. Clearly missed the influential Ben Whitehead up front with Owen Windsor well marshalled by the 2 savvy Cinderford centre halves.

APL
First Team Star

May 2, 2019, 2:18 PM

Post #20 of 33 (4199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Andy where did you go?? Oh no, you cant be bothered to tell us, you only come on this section when you want to have a pop at someone. For the record, I have trusted league websites for years, and it all that time I've only ever had one no show, also in the Herts County League, but I was only passing through so it didn't matter. I don't watch hardly any low level stuff these days, but for future reference, is it just the Herts County League that appears to be fictional, or are there others? Would love to know, as all the ones I've looked at are very reliable.

Having a pop ?
What do you think the 😜 was for ?
If someone fails to check out a match or venue, then turn up to find no match on, then whoís fault is it ?
You canít blame the club for your own failings.Yes, itís annoying, but if you havenít checked it out properly, then itís hardly fair to say itís the club that need to get their act together, or is it ?
As for posting on here.....why would you want to read about Step 7 and below, which is nothing more than standing in a field, crunching another number. Wink
If you replied to all those who Ďno longer botherí posting on here, then youíll need a lot of time...

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-1-2

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-6-8-25-173-304-259

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

(This post was edited by APL on May 2, 2019, 2:23 PM)

BDA_85
First Team Regular

May 2, 2019, 3:18 PM

Post #21 of 33 (4021 views)
Shortcut

Both matches listed on full-time website with the home club secretary phone numbers provided. Has anyone contacted either to question what happened? For one match to be given as 3-1 and the other 2-1 seems very suspicious.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

May 2, 2019, 3:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 33 (3992 views)
Shortcut

Kilsyth 4-1 Rossvale....West Region Championship... Adm £6... Prog No...Refreshments: Available.

A pretty short drive East on the back roads thus avoiding the build up to rush hour for tonight's encounter in Kilsyth.

Arrived at Duncansfield with plenty of time to spare as the players started to arrive, also in attendance was the Pollock man who does in depth analysis of games with his dozen or so video cameras....bump into his quite often at grounds in the Western League

The Stadium hasn't changed much since my last visits. A group of local volunteers were busy doing a spot of weeding of the terrace and flags stones before kick off and the place looked good.

The long terraced Stand wasn't needed tonight or used... as the cloud gradually cleared and we had a late appearance from the sun.

On League places, Rossvale must have been slight favourites to win the battle for third place in the League. Looking the part in their Partick Thistle styled kit, they were behind on 17 minutes when Kouider Aissa climbed above the Vale defence and headed past the keeper. Seven minutes later he did exactly the same, looked a threat in the air all night.
So 2-0 at Half time and it didn't take long for Kilsyth to add their third on 54 minutes. As much as Rossvale tried, Kilsyth's attacking play was more fluent and productive.
Liam Crichton pulled one back for Rossvale only for Smith to hit Kilsyth's fourth of the night on 80 minutes to kill the game. Rossvale did have a man sent off in the second half but I doubt it would have made much difference, Kilsyth were worthy winners on the night.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

leohoenig
Administrator

May 2, 2019, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #23 of 33 (3924 views)
Shortcut

OK then - you know the form boys. Avoid making posts that require intervention from the moderator. Avoid "having a pop" at each other.
It is perfectly legitimate to highlight which leagues are not accurately showing their fixtures on-line. With more and more posters on here using sites such as FA full time in order to check their fixtures, we have to remember that these are only as good as those that update them and some leagues are better than others at doing so.
I like to look for a secondary confirmation, and try to check out club websites, twitter and facebook feeds. If this fails, then I will also try a method of trying to check that can be responded to in their own time, such as messages on the feeds, or e-mail. I do not make very many phone calls to club secretaries and I am sure they appreciate not being on the end of 90 calls, only to find only 20 turn up at a game.
As to who posts and when - that is up to the individual. If you want to post from your latest tick in step 7, then do so - and if you do not want to post, it is up to you

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #24 of 33 (3816 views)
Shortcut

Rawcliffe 0 Copmanthorpe 2
York League Senior Cup QF. F&n Att 40 h/ c(Inc 6 hoppers).

The Premier League visitors, in the bottom half of that division, looked a class above the hosts who lie third in Division One. They kept possession well and looked physically stronger throughout the team, scoring in each half, the second being the result of a defensive howler.

Rawcliffe is on the north side of the city and the Recreation Ground is a basic facility with a car park and changing block behind one goal and a concrete path running along the nearside touchline. There's another pitch at the far end of the field.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

May 2, 2019, 5:53 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #25 of 33 (3622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Redcar Newmarket 2-0 Stokesley SC
North Riding Football League - Premier Division
Att.30hc

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...5/672-rye-hills.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk