First Team Sub

Apr 29, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 5 (3155 views)
Shortcut
Monday 29th April 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Derby Summer League. KO 19:00. (F&N). Crowd 22

Osmaston 12 v 0 Legion

My first ever game in this league and a great setting to start with. Osmaston polo grounds are in a splendid rural setting, a nice place to watch cricket or football, the village pub just a couple of minutes walk. Wonderful old wooden pavillion beyond the far goal, pitch partially roped off.

Home side scored after 12 minutes and added 3 more before half time. 11 minutes into the second period, they converted a penalty but it still took another 15 minutes to add to their total, last 4 goals came in 4 minutes at the end when the visitors had given up.

Some good football played. Chatted to the Dad of twins in the Osmaston side, one of whom plays for South Normanton on a Saturday, he scored a hat trick before being substituted. He feels the title race will be between Osmaston and Doveridge.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 30, 2019, 8:15 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #2 of 5 (2513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Monday 29th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Juniors League Cup Second Group Stage
Armadale Thistle v Fauldhouse United, 0-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 171 h/c, Admission £6, No paper, Coffee £1
At Volunteer Park, Armadale

Explaining the structure of the East Juniors League Cup is not easy. The Second Group Stage is for the winners of the groups in the First Group Stage. Second and third placed clubs from the First Group Stage are now entered in the Consolation Cup Group Stage. Armadale and Fauldhouse are joined by Thornton Hibs in their Group with the teams meeting home and away on a Round Robin basis.

This local derby at the Volley was the return of Saturdayís fixture at Park View which Fauldhouse also won 1-0. Dale beat Thornton in the other match played so far in this Group. On a sunny but quite chilly evening a crowd of around 170 turned out including a good representation of the enthusiasts.

The pitch was bumpy and not conducive to good football. However, both teams got wired in and produced a highly competitive, occasionally tempestuous and ultimately very satisfying 90 minutes of football.

Fauldhouse had the best of a goalless first half but had nothing to show for it. Things looked beak for them when they were reduced to ten men early in the second period. The red card shown by the gimp of a referee for a shocking tackle was o0ne of the few correct decisions he made all evening. The interaction between him and the Fauldhouse dug out was comedy gold. Despite their numerical disadvantage it was the visitors who found the net. They then set about defending their lead in the face on a late Armadale onslaught. Fantastic defending and some fine goalkeeping held the home side at bay despite the referee playing an inordinate length of stoppage time. He looked desperate to award Armadale a late penalty, presumably as some sort of revenge on the occupants of the Fauldhouse technical area. Jon Connolly, the Hoose Manager, is a well-known character of Scottish football and his posts on P&B as jc1 are always worth reading.

Volunteer Park should be on the bucket list of every groundhopper with a penchant for period features and characterful dilapidation. The club are always trying to spruce things up but they really are pissing in the wind. We watched from the far side, opposite the big enclosure, where the terracing appears to have been subject to some unreported earthquake.

I had intended delaying my pie purchase until half time. By that time scottsas had warned us that they were dangerously inedible. LLD had already dined on a super sized deep fried pizza crunch supper from the nearby chippy (Armadale is blessed with several outstanding purveyors of deep fried delights) and I just went hungry.

Parking is straightforward in the street next to Volunteer Park. Armadale railway station isnít really in Armadale at all and is a good 25 minute walk from the ground. It is well served buy the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie line.

noprogs
First Team Star

Apr 30, 2019, 9:40 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 5 (2311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Monday 29th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Armadale.
Loved the ground which really is a time warp.
Any recent improvements to the ground appear to be to the roof, walking around the terracing was a real feat of balance.
I walked to Armadale station which is on the (relatively) new extension between Bathgate and Airdrie. With a few new builds around there, it is a marked contrast to Volunteer Park.

scottsas
Youth Team Star

May 1, 2019, 1:06 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Monday 29th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed, parts of the terracing, while fantastically old and characteristic, were also bordering on the lethal! Thought I was at all angles at one point! Bucket list ground though

LLD
Reserve Team Star

May 2, 2019, 9:06 PM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #5 of 5 (470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Monday 29th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I had intended delaying my pie purchase until half time. By that time scottsas had warned us that they were dangerously inedible. LLD had already dined on a super sized deep fried pizza crunch supper from the nearby chippy (Armadale is blessed with several outstanding purveyors of deep fried delights) and I just went hungry.

It was a HALF pizza supper with no 'crunch', though the chippy did offer the battered option. Wink

For all your Scottish football fixture needs: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3