Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
Canadian Premier League

Motorman
Youth Team Regular

Apr 27, 2019, 1:34 AM

Location: Rosemont, Township of Adjala-Tosorontio, ON. Canada
Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, Falkirk, East Stirlingshire, Forge or York 9 (Undecided)

Post #1 of 12 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Canadian Premier League Can't Post or Reply Privately

Today (Saturday 27th April) sees the start of the Canadian Premier League with the local rivalry between Forge FC from Hamilton, Ontario take on York 9 representing York Region in Ontario. This is the shortest distance travelled between teams in the League. Sunday sees Halifax Wanderers travel to Pacific FC in Vancouver Island which is the 3rd longest away travel in the top flight in the world!!
There are rumoured to be over 25,000 fans at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton for the "905 Derby" (905 id the dialling code of the region!!)
Should be a great day.

Number of grounds - 177
Last new ground - York Lions Stadium, Ontario
Last game - York 9 0-2 Pacific (Canadian Premier League) Saturday August 17, 2019

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 27, 2019, 2:09 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 12 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Motorman] Canadian Premier League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Added a post on the blog last night , not double checked facts or proof read but here you go.

''O Canada''.

Well it’s happening again ,another attempt at a National Professional Soccer League in Canada, what can one say , perhaps ''with glowing hearts ,we see thee rise '' is a tad over the top ?

I''ll get to the new Canadian Premier League in good time but first a look at previous efforts , there has only really been two real national attempts firstly in 1983 with the ''Canadian Professional Soccer League'', the league started with 6 clubs on May 21st but by Rounds 7 & 8 it had lost Toronto Nationals closely followed by Inter Montreal. The league limped on for 5 more rounds before the clubs called time on July 10th and disbanded the league. It was decided to play a 4 team play off with the remaining clubs to decide a champion , 2 best of 3 semi finals ended up with Edmonton Eagles winning home and away against Calgary Mustangs in one and in the other it took Hamilton Steelers 3 games to overcome Mississauga Croatia.

So 73 days after the start of the league we come to the one leg final at the Clarke Stadium in Edmonton to finish the shortened season. On Aug 1st the Eagles dominated the game and beat the Steelers by 2-0. So that was a condensed version of the first attempt.
That was the end for that first attempt.

The next effort was timed well , it was in 1987 when it was tried again , this on the back of Canada being at the Mexico World Cup in 1986 , enthusiasm was high and the time was ripe. Canada had lost all their games in Mexico , playing 3 games against France, Hungary and the Soviet Union but they put up a spirited display only conceding 5 goals and pushing France in their opening game in Leon and only losing 1-0.

So the ''Canadian Soccer League'' was formed in 1987 , this time starting with 8 clubs and having an East and a West Conference each with 4 clubs. The playing season was 20 league games followed by a play off for the title of Champions.
Both conference winners made it through the play offs and played in the one off final in Calgary with Calgary Kickers beating Hamilton Steelers 2-1.
So the Steelers had lost in this final and the one in 83 , unfortunately for them they also lost the next 3 finals.
So 5 consecutive final losses , they certainly had walked under some ladders and had a few black cats walk in front of them !

From 1988 Vancouver 86'ers dominated the league for the next 5 years winning the West Conference on 3 occasions and then the one division league it its last 2 seasons and also going on to win 4 straight play off finals only blotting their copybook by losing the last play off in 92 when losing to Winnipeg Fury in a 2 leg final.
They also set a record in Professional Sport in Canada by being unbeaten for 46 games spread over 1988 & 1989 seasons. I'm unsure as to whether that record is still intact ?

That last season in 1992 started badly with 2 teams Kitchener Kickers and Hamilton Steelers folding 3 weeks before opening day. So it started amid financial problems with only a 6 team set up , a 20 game league followed by the play offs. As mentioned above Winnipeg Fury winning the title of champions.
Such a shame the 86 'ers couldn't complete the 5 year set.
So from the beginning of the league in 87 amid the World Cup enthusiasm it took 6 years to reach a dismal end in 92.

At this Canadian teams spread their wings and began entering USA Soccer Leagues, teams from Montreal , Toronto and Vancouver entered the 1993 American Professional Soccer League.

Vancouver 86 'ers carried on with their winning ways , this time winning the 7 team 24 game league by 5 points over Colorado Foxes. Toronto Blizzard finished 5th and Montreal Impact bottom.
Unfortunately 86 'ers lost in the Play Off semi finals to Los Angeles Salsa on penalties 3-1 ( missing 3 of 4) after a 2-2 draw , to make matters worse Salsa had equalized in the 93rd minute. Then Salsa played Colorado Foxes who had beaten Tampa Bay Rowdies in the other Semi Final , the Foxes winning the final 3-1 AET at the Titan Stadium in Fullerton in front of a crowd of 10,743.

Other teams since then have joined the American system , at this moment in time for 2019 we have =

Tier 1.
Montreal Impact.
Toronto F C.
Vancouver Whitecaps all in the MLS.

@ Tier 2.
Ottawa Fury in the USL Championship.

@ Tier 3.
Toronto II in the USL D1.

@ Tier 4.
Calgary Foothills.
Thunder Bay Chill.
TSS FC Rovers.
Victoria Highlanders.
World Soccer Academy Winnipeg all in the USL D2.

So it's that time and about bloody time I hear some saying , its the new ''Super duper'' , monumental, stupendous , humongous ''Canadian Premier League''.

The big day is on Saturday April 27 , hence the need to write this quickly , when FC Forge entertain York 9 FC in the '905' derby game at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton. The teams are only 40 miles apart and a good crowd is expected , the stadium has a soccer capacity of 10,016 normally but this has been upped and 20,000 + are expected.

The league in doing their homework is working on projected attendances of between 5,000 & 8,000 so some of the smaller grounds capacities may be tested. It should also do away with the sight of ''tarping'' , this the use of matting / tarpaulin to cover rows of empty seats , please do not use the Urban dictionary if looking up tarping !
To make it clear to all I do not own a poncho.

The league is starting with 7 teams , it should haver been 8 but Ottawa Fury would not play ball and leave the American system.

Apparently pressure from the league , Canada SA and CONCACAF should see them in the new league from next season 2020 , IF there is a next season.
The league is split into an Apertura and a Clausura season and the champions of each will play each other , if its the same team the second best overall side will contest the final , so a team could win 2 championships and then lose in the final game and someone else is called ''Champion''. Great.

This is all a long way away and I wonder if all teams will complete the season , the travelling is horrendous and the cost will be astronomical.

Halifax Wanderers from Nova Scotia travel to Pacific FC from Langford , British Columbia 3 times a season and vice versa.
Its a distance of approx. 2,800 air miles and to do this once a season is bad enough but to do it 3 times is insane. Do all clubs have the use of a League private jet ? Its about a 7 hour non stop flight , if having to use the Nations Airlines its a 10 hour flight with at least 1 change !
Perhaps a nice steady 3 day drive each way to build up team spirit

I hope it goes well for all concerned in this adventure.

Constitution and grounds for 2019.

Cavalry @ Spruce Meadows, Foothills, Alberta.
Edmonton @ Clarke Stadium, Edmonton , Alberta.
Forge @ Tim Hortons Field, Hamilton , Ontario.
Halifax Wanderers @ Wanderers Gd, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Pacific @ Westhills Stadium, Langford , British Columbia.
Valour @ Investors Group Field, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
York 9 FC @ York Lions Stadium , Toronto , Ontario.

''Casser une jambe''.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Apr 27, 2019, 2:46 AM)

dottirofhod

Apr 27, 2019, 2:24 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Motorman] Canadian Premier League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday sees Halifax Wanderers travel to Pacific FC in Vancouver Island which is the 3rd longest away travel in the top flight in the world!!

========================================================

Nonsensical , this happens 3 times a season , yes that's right 3 home games each . Questions asked on post/blog above.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

dottirofhod

Apr 27, 2019, 9:06 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Canadian Premier League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday sees Halifax Wanderers travel to Pacific FC in Vancouver Island which is the 3rd longest away travel in the top flight in the world!!
============================================================

Go on then I give you Perth Glory v Wellington Phoenix at 3,270 miles approx.

---------

EDIT. See where you got it from now.

Summary (flight distances):

Wellington to Perth (A-League) – 5,259 km
Jayapura to Medan (Indonesia Liga 1) – 4,723 km
Van Isle to Halifax (CPL) – 4,476 km
Orlando to Vancouver (MLS) – 4,208 km
Boston to Los Angeles (MLS) – 4,170 km
Krasnodar to Krasnoyarsk (Russian Premier League) – 3,888 km

EDIT/EDIT.

PSMS from Medan relegated , its now a close thing MM.

Now Jayapura to Semen Padang (Indonesia Liga 1) is 4,494 km.

It needs checking as Van Isle v Halifax may be 2nd as stadiums used are not in airports , sometimes many many miles away etc. Leave that to someone else.

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Apr 27, 2019, 12:20 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 27, 2019, 9:39 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #5 of 12 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Canadian Premier League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it is three times for Halifax at Pacific, but only twice for Pacific at Halifax
Looking through the fixtures, there are 7 teams, but clubs play 28 fixtures. This I assume is to make up for not being able to find an eigth team.

By my count, Pacific play Valour and Halifax three times each at home, the other clubs, York9, Edmonton, Cavaliers and Forge visit twice only
The two teams Pacific travel to on three occasions are York9 and Edmonton. That means Forge and Cavaliers only meet Pacific four times in the season, while the other four clubs will play time five times.

The other thing I noticed was that the fixtures are arranged as Spring and Fall seasons, but these to not appear to be equal in length - they have ten games in the first period and 18 in the second. Cavalry visit Pacific once on each period, the last Spring game and the first Fall game. These are successive fixtures, five days apart

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 27, 2019, 9:52 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1208 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
============================================================

Go on then I give you Perth Glory v Wellington Phoenix at 3,270 miles approx.

---------

EDIT. See where you got it from now.

Summary (flight distances):

Wellington to Perth (A-League) – 5,259 km
Jayapura to Medan (Indonesia Liga 1) – 4,723 km
Van Isle to Halifax (CPL) – 4,476 km
Orlando to Vancouver (MLS) – 4,208 km
Boston to Los Angeles (MLS) – 4,170 km
Krasnodar to Krasnoyarsk (Russian Premier League) – 3,888 km

Of course with both SKA-Khabarovsk and Luch Vladivostock in the Russian National League (tier 2), there are a number of journeys in this league longer than any at tier 1.

A quick check shows Vladivostock to Kaliningrad as 7348 km.

Fat AND Pompous.

dottirofhod

Apr 27, 2019, 10:09 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Canadian Premier League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes Leo we all know that , we've had that discussion on here before, stick to top flight as it says on the packet.

To their credit it does mention that in article MM got his outdated facts from - https://canpl.ca/...istance-away-matches

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Apr 27, 2019, 10:11 AM)

Motorman
Youth Team Regular

Apr 28, 2019, 12:03 AM

Location: Rosemont, Township of Adjala-Tosorontio, ON. Canada
Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, Falkirk, East Stirlingshire, Forge or York 9 (Undecided)

Post #8 of 12 (1057 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
MM got his outdated facts from - https://canpl.ca/...istance-away-matches

Outdated!!!! How very, very dare you!!!!Wink
My apologies for any incorrect info. A great article you have written on your blog. If today was anything to go by though, the League could be around for a very long time to come (hopefully)

Number of grounds - 177
Last new ground - York Lions Stadium, Ontario
Last game - York 9 0-2 Pacific (Canadian Premier League) Saturday August 17, 2019

dottirofhod

Apr 29, 2019, 9:34 AM

Post #9 of 12 (865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Canadian Premier League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it is three times for Halifax at Pacific, but only twice for Pacific at Halifax .

=========================================

Ta, have updated blog. Still not had time to check the rest yet !

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 19, 2019, 12:45 PM

Post #10 of 12 (384 views)
Shortcut

This came up in discussion on the China Super League's mid-season rule change.

In the Canadian Premier League, they have to have three Canadian U-21 players in the squad. In total, these players must clock up a minimum of 1000 minutes during the season. As there are 28 games in the regular season, that means they can reach this by playing a single player for 36 minutes in every game (with 8 minutes to spareShocked).

Fat AND Pompous.

dottirofhod

Jun 19, 2019, 1:00 PM

Post #11 of 12 (377 views)
Shortcut

Yep been following on Canadian social media.

CPL rosters must include at least 20 players and not more than 23, with a maximum of seven imports.

Rosters must include a minimum of three domestic players who are 21 or younger as of the start of the calendar year.

Teams must play U21 domestic players a minimum of 3,000 minutes collectively throughout the regular season.

On match day, home teams must dress 18 players with the visiting team dressing 16-18.

Teams must have a minimum of six domestic players and maximum of five foreign players in their starting lineups.

I Have been contemplating a Toronto 10 day trip but I'm afraid these stipulations are putting the dampeners on it.

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jun 19, 2019, 1:10 PM)

dottirofhod

Jun 19, 2019, 1:11 PM

Post #12 of 12 (369 views)
Shortcut

They have been discussing the China plan on Canadian social media Tongue.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3