Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit?

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Apr 24, 2019, 7:28 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #1 of 10 (2868 views)
Shortcut
Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi!
I'm a Swede planning on visiting Sheffield on Friday 31st May to Saturday 1st June.
The main goal for the trip is to get a look at Hallam's old and sloping ground, and perhaps visit the World's oldest club at Sheffield FC.
(I wish Jamesie would still be around, but hopefully someone else might help.)
Can I just walk in to the grounds, or are there fences surrounding them? Might the club houses be open?

I hope I post in the right category. It's been quite a while since I last posted here. Moderators are very welcome to move the post to where it might get most response.

(This post was edited by Lars on Apr 24, 2019, 8:02 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 12:30 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Your best bet for Hallam would be if a cricket game was taking place on the Saturday, otherwise the ground will be locked. Sheffield's ground should also be locked, however, the "clubhouse", i.e. the Coach and Horses pub should be open normal pub hours on the Friday and Saturday.
Maybe you could contact the relevant club secretaries to see if anyone who as a key could be around at a certain time, maybe the key for Sheffield could be available behind the bar?
Ian

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2019, 12:55 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi!
I'm a Swede planning on visiting Sheffield on Friday 31st May to Saturday 1st June.
The main goal for the trip is to get a look at Hallam's old and sloping ground, and perhaps visit the World's oldest club at Sheffield FC.
Can I just walk in to the grounds, or are there fences surrounding them? Might the club houses be open?

I hope I post in the right category. It's been quite a while since I last posted here. Moderators are very welcome to move the post to where it might get most response.

You can see Hallam's ground quite clearly from Sandygate Road. I've attached a screen grab from Google Maps.

Sheffield might be a bit more tricky. I'm friends with someone who is (or was) quite heavily involved with the club so can ask how you might get access to look around.

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Apr 25, 2019, 12:56 PM)
Attachments: Hallam.JPG (192 KB)

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 8:29 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hi!

You can see Hallam's ground quite clearly from Sandygate Road. I've attached a screen grab from Google Maps.

Sheffield might be a bit more tricky. I'm friends with someone who is (or was) quite heavily involved with the club so can ask how you might get access to look around.

Thank you very much Ian S and London Harrier! :-)
Okay, that was a bit sad news, but if you LH can ask your friend it would be appreciated. :-)
Thank you for the picture you attached LH. Oh... I was hoping to enter the pitch and touch the grass. But we'll see...
And thanks Ian for the cricket tip. I've never seen cricket live.

northstandexile
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 9:43 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #5 of 10 (1702 views)
Shortcut

The oldest pitch/ground in the EFL is at Field Mill, Mansfield where football was first played in 1861.

Mansfield is only about 25 miles from Sheffield and I am sure staff at the ground would let you have access, seeing you have come all the way from Sweden.

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Apr 27, 2019, 4:14 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The oldest pitch/ground in the EFL is at Field Mill, Mansfield where football was first played in 1861.

Mansfield is only about 25 miles from Sheffield and I am sure staff at the ground would let you have access, seeing you have come all the way from Sweden.

Thanks for the suggestion. :-) If the first match ever was played at Sandygate at December of 1860, 1861 seems quite close in time. :) We'll see...

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 28, 2019, 4:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 10 (1344 views)
Shortcut

I think your best move would probably to contact the clubs directly through Twitter. As far as I'm aware Jamesie is still around at Sheffield.

Flickr photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedribblingcode/albums
Blog (match/ground reviews) at:
http://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com
@dribblingcode on Twitter

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 30, 2019, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #8 of 10 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boyspen] Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think your best move would probably to contact the clubs directly through Twitter. As far as I'm aware Jamesie is still around at Sheffield.

Jamesie is on twitter: @Jamesie1857

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Apr 30, 2019, 11:21 PM

Post #9 of 10 (923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Will Hallam's and Sheffield's grounds be available for a visit? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thank you mip. :) I remember you well from the 20 questions thread about 10 years ago, where we Scandinavians used to dominate. Wink Well, at least one of us, the one from Denmark. Wink

And thanks to boyspen too!

sj
Junior Team Regular

May 2, 2019, 8:32 PM

Post #10 of 10 (704 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thank you mip. :) I remember you well from the 20 questions thread about 10 years ago, where we Scandinavians used to dominate. Wink Well, at least one of us, the one from Denmark. Wink

And thanks to boyspen too!

Hi Lars, I have keys for Sheffield FC. I'll ask about Hallam. Shouldn't be a problem. Jamesie.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3