Northern League fail in bid to run new Step 4 league

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BillShep
Youth Team Regular

Apr 26, 2019, 12:55 PM

Team(s): City of Liverpool FC

Post #26 of 29 (2909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzla84] Northern League fail in bid to run new Step 4 league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And from what I understand about this League is that they didn't want promotion because of the travel involved.
All those years of not promoting have done that area no good at all.
What will be interesting now from a Cups point of view is where will the FA Vase start it's swing to as the better quality players move up to Trophy level.

----------------------------------------------------------
Evo-Stick North/West Division 1919/20
North West Counties Premier Division Champions 2018/19
City of Liverpool FC - Debut season 2016/17

55th ground watching CoLFC - i2i Stadium, Ings Lane, Tadcaster Albion
FA Trophy Extra Prelim Replay. Lost 6-1 Att 271 08/10/19
Latest new ground
85th - i2i Stadium. Tadcaster Albion.

genesimmons
Youth Team Star

Apr 28, 2019, 2:31 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #27 of 29 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillShep] Northern League fail in bid to run new Step 4 league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And from what I understand about this League is that they didn't want promotion because of the travel involved.
All those years of not promoting have done that area no good at all.
What will be interesting now from a Cups point of view is where will the FA Vase start it's swing to as the better quality players move up to Trophy level.

From what I gather step 7 teams can enter the fa vase providing they have step 6 or above facilities. I think it would be better just have the vase from step 6 to step 4. Step 4 teams rarely get far in the trophy

You wanted the best, you got the best

genesimmons
Youth Team Star

Apr 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #28 of 29 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzla84] Northern League fail in bid to run new Step 4 league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Total nonsense to suggest that the NPL running a central division has any consequences at all for football in the north east. trouble is the NL hierarchy going back 30+ years has always considered itself superior and more valuable than any other league, its member clubs, the FA, the world in general. It isnt - it's purely a vehicle for managing a set of fixtures.

Precisely this. The haughty attitude of the league has always mystified me. Watching the FA put it in its place, as it has done over the past couple of seasons, is very satisfying.

Mike Amos, the previous league chairman, is mostly to blame IMO, the bad rep of the NL was mainly down to his attitude towards the FA. There was a period of TEN years when the Northern league failed to promote a single club, even in 2003-04 when mass promotions were needed in order to create what is now Step 2. And its obvious the FA have not forgotten that.

As for the "consequences", well the only one I can think of is that the best of the first division will be able to progress in the pyramid without being held back. In the next few years, I expect the likes of Bishop Auckland, Consett, Shildon and Hebburn Town to make the step up further populating the NPL with more Northern clubs. This in a way is going to go some way to repair the damage done in the previous three decades.

The list below says it all, only NINE clubs in 30 years promoted from the Northern to the NPL, Spennymmor United in 92-93 not included as they had switched to the Northern Counties East League

CLUBS PROMOTED FROM NORTHERN LEAGUE TO NPL SINCE 1988

1988-89: Bishop Auckland & Whitley Bay
1993-94: Blyth Spartans
1996-97: Whitby Town
------------ (Phase 1 - Creation of Conference North & South) ------------
2003-04: --- No promotees, mass promotions from NCE and NWC to make up shortfall
----------- (Phase 2 - Regionalisation of NPL Division 1) ------------
2006-07: Newcastle Blue Star
2007-08: Durham City
2012-13: Darlington
2013-14: Spennymoor Town
2016:17: South Shields
------------ (Phase 3 - New Step 3 and New Step 4 Leagues) ------------
2017-18: Marske United & Morpeth Town (Shildon missed out on PPG)
2018-19: Dunston UTS
------------ (Phase 4 - New NPL run Step 4 League) ------------
2019-20: --- Top three to be promoted ---

Pretty much sums it up. I was very irked when no clubs went up when mass promotion was offered when the conference north. Only 2 went up during the next restructuring, Durham and blue star who's failure Amos constantly uses of scaremongering with regards to promotion. Amos never made any sense with his restructuring proposals, I bet the fa were having a good laugh. He campaigned for restructuring to help reduce travel and wanted a tweed to humber league at step 4 but that would never have worked as no clubs wanted promotion and would have only happened had 6 clubs or so we're forced up which Amos was dead against. As for the current lot who run the league, seems like they have been u happy since enforced promotion and the fact the fa has over ruled them which to be honest they should have done 30 year ago

You wanted the best, you got the best

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 29, 2019, 6:38 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #29 of 29 (795 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
And looking at it, next season is already beginning to look a lot healthier for North East clubs in terms of numbers at each step, certainly more than it was say 3-4 years ago

2019-20 SEASON

STEP 1: **Harrogate Town, Gateshead, Hartlepool United
STEP 2: **Spennymoor Town, **Blyth Spartans, York City, Darlington
STEP 3: ** South Shields, Scarborough Athletic, Whitby Town, Morpeth Town
STEP 4: Marske United, Pickering Town, Dunston UTS

** Possibility of being promoted to the next step up

Compared to the beginning of the 2015-16 season especially

STEP 1: Gateshead
STEP 2: Harrogate Town, Darlington
STEP 3: Blyth Spartans, Whitby Town
STEP 4: Spennymoor Town, Scarborough Athletic, Harrogate Railway Athletic
Hmm, I'd hardly call York's and 'Poole's fall from grace a success.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3