Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Good Friday 19th April 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2019, 7:38 PM

Post #26 of 36 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It looks everyone's been waiting for someone to post this double.

Thanks to a car transporter breaking down right on the traffic lights at Canford Bottom on the A31, despite giving ourselves just under 4 hours for the 2 1/2 hour journey, we made it with 10 minutes to spare, whilst Richmond Red didn't get there until between the 4th and 5th goals!

11am.
SW Peninsula League Div 1 East
Honiton Town 7-2 Axminster Town
£3 incl programme
Att: 126 h/c

Well this was a turn up of the form book. 4th bottom v 5th.
First half was fairly even, it was just that Honiton took their chances and Axminster didn't. By half time it was 3-0.

By the 50th Minute it was 5-0 as 2 poorly defended crosses were headed home. On the hour mark a world class goals at either end of the pitch, firstly from Honiton's Portly no 11 curling one around the defenders and keeper from the edge of the area, whilst Axminster's centre half let a free kick go from 30 yards into the top corner.

Another headed goal for Honiton with best part of 20 minutes to go before the scoring was ended by a penalty for Axminster late on.

Ground has recently been reported on so no need to go through the details, but it ticked all the boxes.

Afterwards a pit stop or 2 in The Holt in Honiton and the Sidmouth Arms in Upottery (4 or miles miles off the A30 heading back east) before

3pm
Devon & Exeter League Premier Division
Upottery 0-0 Exwick Villa
F&N
Att: 43
Raffle won

From the mornings' goal-fest to the afternoon's first half in particular miss-fest. Visitors needing to win to keep the pressure on 2nd placed Newtown 10 points behind with 5 games in hand and in truth they did everything but score. Hitting the inside of the post and rolling along the line and out for a goal kick the wrong side of the other post, the No11 blasting a volley into the neighbouring cricket ground from under the cross bar and several good saves by the home keeper.

Hosts were 2nd best but looked dangerous on the break and in the 2nd half hit the bar themselves but the longer the game went on both sides ran out of ideas other than shooting from long range or blasting crosses into the area in the vain direction of a team-mate and a stalemate was becoming more and more evident.

I thought at one stage the referee had lost the game as tempers flared frequently with little done to calm things down, although neither side were helped by some real dyed in the wool blinkered club-lino offside calls.

Glebe Park is a basic setting on the right hand side of the road out of the village towards Hemyock, but on a gorgeous sunny spring day, it was a joy to be there. Pitch is roped off on the pavilion side, railed off behind the car park end goal and the other 2 sides are open with a couple of benches. Beyond the pavilion is the village cricket club and at the bottom of the car park are a couple of tennis courts.

Several hoppers there , some of whom had gone to Honiton like us, Chard or in 1 instance Bere Alston in the morning.

Journey home was certainly alot calmer than the journey there!

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 21, 2019, 7:59 PM

Post #27 of 36 (2186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It looks everyone's been waiting for someone to post this double.

Thanks to a car transporter breaking down right on the traffic lights at Canford Bottom on the A31, despite giving ourselves just under 4 hours for the 2 1/2 hour journey, we made it with 10 minutes to spare, whilst Richmond Red didn't get there until between the 4th and 5th goals!

11am.
SW Peninsula League Div 1 East
Honiton Town 7-2 Axminster Town
£3 incl programme
Att: 126 h/c

Well this was a turn up of the form book. 4th bottom v 5th.
First half was fairly even, it was just that Honiton took their chances and Axminster didn't. By half time it was 3-0.

By the 50th Minute it was 5-0 as 2 poorly defended crosses were headed home. On the hour mark a world class goals at either end of the pitch, firstly from Honiton's Portly no 11 curling one around the defenders and keeper from the edge of the area, whilst Axminster's centre half let a free kick go from 30 yards into the top corner.

Another headed goal for Honiton with best part of 20 minutes to go before the scoring was ended by a penalty for Axminster late on.

Ground has recently been reported on so no need to go through the details, but it ticked all the boxes.

Afterwards a pit stop or 2 in The Holt in Honiton and the Sidmouth Arms in Upottery (4 or miles miles off the A30 heading back east) before

3pm
Devon & Exeter League Premier Division
Upottery 0-0 Exwick Villa
F&N
Att: 43
Raffle won

From the mornings' goal-fest to the afternoon's first half in particular miss-fest. Visitors needing to win to keep the pressure on 2nd placed Newtown 10 points behind with 5 games in hand and in truth they did everything but score. Hitting the inside of the post and rolling along the line and out for a goal kick the wrong side of the other post, the No11 blasting a volley into the neighbouring cricket ground from under the cross bar and several good saves by the home keeper.

Hosts were 2nd best but looked dangerous on the break and in the 2nd half hit the bar themselves but the longer the game went on both sides ran out of ideas other than shooting from long range or blasting crosses into the area in the vain direction of a team-mate and a stalemate was becoming more and more evident.

I thought at one stage the referee had lost the game as tempers flared frequently with little done to calm things down, although neither side were helped by some real dyed in the wool blinkered club-lino offside calls.

Glebe Park is a basic setting on the right hand side of the road out of the village towards Hemyock, but on a gorgeous sunny spring day, it was a joy to be there. Pitch is roped off on the pavilion side, railed off behind the car park end goal and the other 2 sides are open with a couple of benches. Beyond the pavilion is the village cricket club and at the bottom of the car park are a couple of tennis courts.

Several hoppers there , some of whom had gone to Honiton like us, Chard or in 1 instance Bere Alston in the morning.

Journey home was certainly alot calmer than the journey there!

I was just going to post my report but you beat me to it! Totally agree with your report,good day out in glorious weather,certainly a lot better than the previous Good Friday in Devon!

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2019, 8:26 PM

Team(s):

Post #28 of 36 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Warwickian] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bath Villa 1-2 Purnell Sports Reserves 11-00 at Paulton
Paulton Hospital Cup Final
Adm £2, no paper
Att 240, mostly supporting Purnell

Probably the most enjoyable 90 minutes of the day, decent atmosphere, plenty of action, if anything Bath Villa looked the more likely winners, but the excellent support must have inspired Purnell.

Middlezoy 3-2 Ilminster
Somerset County League
Premier Division
No adm or paper
Att, I think Gyles BF said 65

5 decent goals but poor quality football on a ropey pitch.

Then we finished the day at Newent, only thing to add the the other report, we got charged £5 including programme, maybe they had loads left by the time we got there and just wanted to get rid of them.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Apr 23, 2019, 12:05 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #29 of 36 (1619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Match i)

Slough Town Challenge Cup Final

The Gore - Burham FC (KO 10:30)

Langley 1-2 Singh Sabha Slough
{STEP07 Hellenic Two East: 2nd} v {STEP08-ish East Berks Premier: 2nd}

Admission: £4 incl free competition prog

Attendance: h/c roughly 350 - incl. a lot of young families.

Direction/Facilities: regular here and also usually for this particular Final - to start off the Easter w/e.
Langley were the holders but the previous three finals had been won by Thame Rgrs (or the equivalent thereof) who are no longer able to enter now they are at STEP06

Match: evenly fought first half - with SSS's quick feet and inter-passing up against a more solid robust outfit that gradually grasped control of the game as it progressed.

2nd half as Langley tried to go more expansive in search of goals they left gaps wide left & crucially in central mid and Singh Sabha exploited this.

0-1 good run down the right, cross driven in low by a late arriving midfielder, from the centre of the box.

0-2 very late with Langley pushing up - short passing move through middle put a player clear on goal who slotted past the keeper

Deep into 6 mins of injury time, a minor petulant clash on the field spilled over into a full brawl in the seats and incl players from both sides - not great with so many young kids around and both sets of fans and players should have known better. Ref just stood patiently by and let it blow out - punctuated by the occasional blast on his whistle to let them know he was waiting for them to re-start the match on the field.

1-2 keeper made a good save from flicked near post volley but the ball was prodded in on the rebound

Still time for header over bar from very close range, from a free-kick awarded on the corner of the box - not sure tempers would have remained in check during any ET. Not read about any actions to be taken in the aftermath - will need to dig out the Slough Observer. Shocked

Also at this but the ref found an astonishing fifteen added minutes during which it all kicked off.

We then had a fairly trouble free journey to

Vanarama National League South
St. Albans City 2 East Thurrock United 1
Admission £15, prog £2.50
Usual footie food available
Att 900+

A turgid first half. How SAC can play like this and be on the verge of the play-off's beggars belief. Just a load of hoof ball. The visitors offered more and played the better football but wasted whet few chances they had. The second half was a bit better and ETU took the lead but then sat deeper as the game wore on a blew it conceding two late goals. The second game running saw it kick off late in the game with one player from each side sent off, just as it the morning game.

Pre match pint in the Mermaid. Lots of ales to chose from and those tasted were all much approved. Featured were Animal, Morton, Shakespear and strongest but least impressive Hydes

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 23, 2019, 2:50 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #30 of 36 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PRIESTFIELD STADIUM
GILLINGHAM 3 Plymouth Argyle 1

Complimentary ticket courtesy of richiejenn much appreciated, and what a match to enjoy Smile
After a dire first half performance, two quick goals early in the second half sent Gills on the way to victory Cool

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Apr 23, 2019, 2:52 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 23, 2019, 11:08 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #31 of 36 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SW Peninsula League 1E : Honiton Town 7 Axminster Town 2. Admission with programme £3. Attendance : 123 (hc)

Ninety minutes across Exmoor from our weekend base at Lynton on a glorious morning, this was an entertaining start to the day where I arrived to find all programmes gone but as they were free, someone had discarded one in a bin which was retrieved at half-time. Match details have already been supplied by splodge who'd tried to obtain said paper for me but the gateman correctly only allowed one per admission and my find obviously saved me a tenner on e-bay where some unscrupulous hoppers tend to plant them after grabbing a handful.

The ground was more basic than I expected, no lights and roped off down the far side opposite the small cover. The clubhouse was doing a roaring trade with a barbie on the go outside - not sampled bar a cuppa after a huge breakfast. Spent the match in the company of warwickian and martin55 before joining splodge's gang on the other side for the closing stages. As mentioned, Honiton took pretty much all their chances with some superb finishes and the final two goals went to Axminster which was no consolation whatsoever.

The excellent Holt pub on the main drag was sampled for a swifty but it suffers from having no outside space, not a problem at the Sidmouth Arms in Upottery, some five miles north before the afternoon entertainment.

Devon & Exeter Prem : Upottery 0 Exwick Villa 0. Attendance : 43 (hc); F&N

Feast to famine : despite the blank scoreline, this was an excellent game of many chances with the visiting league leaders clearly the better side but always open to a counter. It's a basic set-up shared with cricket and the pavilion opened just before kick-off for hot/cold drinks and bar snacks/chocs. Many hoppers present including the lesser-spotted APL with a carload.
Definitely one to do on a fine day with little shelter.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 24, 2019, 4:34 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #32 of 36 (817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at the following games, along with 'Yorkshire Dales'...

12:00 ~ Toolstation Western Lge Div One {step 6}
Corsham Town 2 Devizes Town 0
Admission: £5 / Attendance: 136

15:00 ~ Evo-Stik Southern Lge Div One South {step 4}
Melksham Town 1 Winchester City 4
Admission: £8 / Attendance: 470

19:00 ~ UHLSPORT Hellenic Lge Div One West {step 6}
Newent Town 0 Cheltenham Saracens 1
Admission: £5 / Attendance: 369

"There is evidence that a railway line once ran through what is now part of the ground – there is a partly dismantled bridge in one corner of the stadium and the tree-line, visible on Google Maps, clearly shows where the line would have been."

It was the Ledbury and Gloucester Railway line according to Wiki. Looking at old maps, Malswick Halt railway station, which closed in 1959, was somewhere near the dismantled bridge on Hook's Lane.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 6:22 AM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #33 of 36 (483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I arrived at the 1st hop game which is on the outskirts of Gloucester & I went for a wander before the game. Inside the ground I realised at 11:56 the game wasn’t going to start on time & someone told me that the game would be delayed due to accident on Motorway.

UhlspIort Hellenic League Premier Division
Longlevens 2 (59 & 61)
Reading City 1 (14)
KO: 12:00, started at 12:21 Att: 331 Cost: £6 Progs available

Venue: Saw Mills End, off Corinium Avenue, Barnwood, Gloucester
Compact enclosed ground which has 3 floodlight poles each side & is fully railed. There’s h/s 3 sides with one side having patchy h/s overgrown with grass. I was surprised that the majority of the ground isn’t fenced off but just large netting. Grass around most of ground & one side has straddling half-way line a low covered stand with 2 rows of red seats which in part is only a single row. There’s a path at back to view from. In one half are a couple of backless wooden benches. A portacabin in corner but not lengthways to the pitch. One side has bushes & trees with another pitch behind a railed fence. Outside of the ground are 3 car parks. Behind one goal in corner is Hotel Ibis, other goal has 2-level office blocks & it was here I parked. Part of stand side has another car park although I did hear someone advising you would get fined for parking here. Across the dead end road are houses. Also behind Hotel Ibis goal across road is a large warehouse & you could see trains.

Match: 17th v 18th out of 19
Sunny. Got very warm as game wore on.
RC lobbed gk & the shot hit the bar & went over on 64 seconds. LON shot just off target on 9min before RC took the lead. LON were denied by a good save by the gk just before h/t. Shots 9-4.

H/T lasted over 13mins. LON dominated this half & scored 2 goals in 122 seconds. Soon after a header was well saved by the LON gk. On 70mins LON had shot saved. Shots 6-2.

Enjoyable game which in the end LON should’ve won by more.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Apr 26, 2019, 6:44 AM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 6:41 AM

Post #34 of 36 (475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the late kick off I was glad my next game was just about reachable. A couple of other destinations I’d previously considered would’ve been unreachable in time. I did notice in the area how ‘afraid’ a lot of drivers are overtaking cyclists. Once in Nailsworth it’s an interesting drive to the Shortwood ground. Nice view of the town to your right with houses on the hillside. Even though there was a sign I’d thought I’d missed another turning but you surprisingly reach the ground.

Toolstation Western League Premier Division
Shortwood Utd 0
Chipping Sodbury Town 4 (5, 15, 26 & 83)
KO: 15:00 Att: 72 h/c Cost: £7 I think there were progs available

Venue: Meadowbank, Nailsworth
Unsurprisingly I liked this ground with hills all around the ground & behind one goal has the views of houses of Nailsworth. Also bushes & trees around most of the ground. 4 floodlight poles each side. The only part which isn’t railed is the main stand. This side is reached going up 9 steps. There’s h/s path with steep grass banking roped off. Straddling half-way line is a covered stand with wall at the front. There’s 4 rows of red & grey? Seats. T one side is a wooden bench. Behind one goal is narrow grass area then steep banking & fairly wide grass area levels out. Other side in one half is a covered Atcost stand with 4 rows of terracing. Straddling half-way line is another covered Atcost stand with 4 rows of red & grey? Seats. Both are tiny. Behind other goal is grass area for half with car park behind. Remainder has wide h/s with picnic tables/chairs in front of the clubhouse. Under the overhang are wooden benches.

Match: 20th v 12th out of 20
Very warm & sunny. SU went close on 70 seconds but were well off the pace in the 1st half. CST had a header hit the bar on 5mins & same player headed in the rebound for the opening goal. A minute later the gk saved & the rebound was also saved. A shot just over on 13mins. The 2nd goal came when a shot hit the post & defender on line couldn’t prevent the ball crossing it according to the lino. A free kick was headed in to finish the game. Shots 2-9.

H/t lasted over 15mins. SU came out all guns blazing as CST had declared. GK saved a shot on 51mins & 72 mins. Then a powerful shot hit the bar & go over on 73mins. Late on CST completed the scoring. Shots 5-5.

There were drinks breaks on 30mins each half. Felt sorry that SU didn’t get a goal.

After the game I booked into my accommodation close to Longlevens ground for the next 3 nights.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 6:55 AM

Post #35 of 36 (468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After leaving my accommodation I drove past Newent’s ground which is well away from the town. I drove into the small town had a wander round before going back to the ground.

Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 West
Newent Town 0
Cheltenham Saracens 1 (55)
KO: 19:00 Att: 361 Cost: £5 Progs available

Venue: Wildsmith Meadow, Malswick, Newent
3 floodlight poles each. Railed both sides & partly behind both goals. Near goal has ha/s path with grass in corners. Central area has the clubhouse. One side has grass area in front of wooden fence & back of houses. Other goal has narrow h/s path in front of wooden fence. Other side has h/s path with a new covered stand in one half. There are 5 wide rows & for this game a lot of chairs had been put there. Field behind & in corner are remains of old railway bridge. Trees & bushes around ground.

Match: 9th v 4th out of 12
Sun going down in 1st half. Cooling down but still not cold.
1st half had a lot of shots but most weren’t very good. NT had shot saved on 32mins. CS had shot saved on 17mins & a chance went wide on 26mins. Shots 7-10.

H/T lasted under 14mins. CS dominated this half with doubel save by the gk on 53mins. Seconds later they scored. The gk saved on 75mins & a header went wide on 88mins. Shots 2-11.

I then had a drive around Gloucester & ended up at the chip shop across the road from Kingsholm, Gloucester RUFC.

richiejenn
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 10:05 AM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 36 (402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 19th April 2019 @3pm
EFL League One
GILLINGHAM 3-1 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE
Priestfield Stadium
Admission: s/t
Attendance: 5,987

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3