First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Apr 19, 2019, 4:19 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 36 (8568 views)
Shortcut
Good Friday 19th April 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

North East Wales. KO 13:00*. (F&N). Crowd 22.

Acton 6 v 3 Brymbo Victoria

Acton play on the grass pitch at Rhosnesni High School in Wrexham. The pitch is roped off on both sides and apparently will be railed next season as they are moving up to WNL Division 1, according to club officials. There is an excellent view from a large grass bank on one side.

Acton, who are second in the league scored 3 times in the first half hour before conceding a needless penalty in the 39th minute but went on to restore their 3 goal cushion with another strike in the 41st minute.

Brymbo were the first to strike in the second period with a shot on 62 minutes before allowing Niall Challinor to add a couple more to complete his hat trick. The visitors completed the scoring on 86 minutes to round off a good game of football in glorious weather. The match kicked off at 12:45 as the referee wanted to see the Wrexham v Sutton game at 3pm. Apparently the ref also plays for Newcastle Town.

Match spent in the amiable company of Mick from this forum and reader Mark from Crewe.

Karb
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2019, 5:57 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #2 of 36 (8372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League
Wrexham 1-0 Sutton United
Admission £16, Programme £3, Att: 5264

The ref at Dave 56's game shouldn't have bothered. This was poor fayre at the Racecourse, settled by a second half goal from the home side's number 6, Kennedy, who fired in after a header from a corner was cleared off the line.

I've visited the ground previously for rugby league, but hadn't previously been for football. I sat behind the goal, while the terracing behind the other goal was unused. The stands along the sides both look very good indeed, and befitting a club hoping to regain football league status.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

(This post was edited by Karb on Apr 19, 2019, 5:58 PM)

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 19, 2019, 6:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #3 of 36 (8314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky Bet Championship

Millwall (1) 1v1 (1) Brentford

Admission £20 OAP, Programme £3 , Attendance: 14,530 (1,148 Bees fans)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 39
Last New Ground : Taplow United 16th April 2019

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 19, 2019, 6:11 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 36 (8307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League
Dover Athletic 1-0 Aldershot Town

Entry: £17
Attendance: 1,348

With neither side having much to play for, this was either going to be a cavalier goal-fest or a lazy end-of-season snoozafon. Guess which one of those two we got! Only an 89th minute goal for Dover prevented it from being a total right-off (though the Shots keeper did make a couple of fine saves in the second half). I hope the skinflint who watched from up a tree on the hill behind the far end got splinters in his arse!

Dover isn’t the prettiest town you’re ever going to visit, but the beach on a sunny afternoon is nicer than expected. The place also has more than its fair share of quality micropubs (though Kent being the birthplace of the micropub, maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised). The two I popped in to were Lanes in the town centre, and the Breakwater Brewery Tap which is halfway up the hill towards the ground. Both were fine establishments and went some distance in confirming that Kent makes some darn fine ales.

Maybe I don’t attend enough football at Step1, but the sizeable police presence took me quite by surprise: a dozen coppers, two police cars and two vans were in position to greet the Aldershot fans as they left the away end, despite a generally passive atmosphere all round. And there were a further half-dozen at the railway station afterwards. Despite this, most Shots fans I overheard in the pubs were of the opinion that they’ll greatly miss this away fixture next season.

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Apr 19, 2019, 6:33 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale, Halstead Town & West Ham United

Post #5 of 36 (8223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mid Essex Premier Division Cup Final @ Witham Town FC
Silver End United 2-0 Emeronians (HT 2-0)
£5 admission which included a programme
Att: about 150

paulh66

Apr 19, 2019, 6:47 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 36 (8157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chester Senior Cup SF
Chester Nomads 2-3 Blacon YC
Over 100 in attendance
No admission charge or programme

This 11am kick-off was the first of two semi-finals taking place today at Nomads' home ground, probably better known as Chester Boughton Hall Cricket Club, whose modern, plush pavilion houses the changing and social facilities. The pitch is railed off, has a pair of breezeblock dugouts and runs lengthways next to the second cricket pitch, but is in a 6ft dip so doesn't overlap. Most watched the game from the top of this bank but, if so inclined, you could also watch it from your car in the slightly-raised overflow car park behind the near goal - although this too was overflowing today. Hedges and houses naturally enclose the other two sides.

The match was obviously a local derby, even though the teams are in parallel leagues, albeit Nomads are a step higher in the top flight of the West Cheshire while Blacon are pushing for promotion from the second tier of the Cheshire.

Blacon started strongly and were rewarded with two nicely-taken goals in the opening quarter to put them in control. An equally tidy finish just before half time put Nomads back into it and they then forced the pace after the break. Few clear cut chances though, until they equalised from a penalty with 15 to go. But in an action packed last five minutes Blacon regained the lead with another quality finish, one which Nomads almost bettered when a looping volley from a corner hit the inside of the post. But Blacon held on and the celebrations after the winner, and on full time, showed that this cup means something in these parts. A good game to watch.

Onwards with a half hour drive up the M53 to the afternoon's entertainment:

League 2
Tranmere 0-1 Forest Green
Att 9,468 inc a handful of away fans

Wasn't best pleased that the fixture list lumbered us with this lot for my annual Easter trip back home. We knew their game plan from past experience - administer a season-ending injury, sneak a goal and see the game out with the full repertoire of dark arts. Executed to perfection so well done FGR.

Lots for Rovers to be encouraged about, though. I always felt promotion was beyond us this season and, although we've done remarkably well to get where we are, the loss of key players McCullough, Perkins and, today, Ellis will, I think, prove telling. With Norwood now carrying a groin injury too, it'll still be some achievement if we manage a playoff place in our first season back. Deserved at least a point today, but it'll be a tall order to get even that at Lincoln on Monday.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2019, 8:10 PM

Post #7 of 36 (7803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....Also taking in a Conference National contest of a personally absorbing but collectively nervy nature...

Leyton Orient 2 v 0 Harrogate Town - Conference National
Prog 60 pages £3.00 - Admission £8.00* - Att 6665 (according to the Harrogate Town Twitter, the attendance was the biggest gate that they have ever played in front of)

* Once again in the name of financial transparency. The O's supporting legend that is Frinton Orient Keith. kindly purchased an £18.00 ticket thinking that this was going to be sold out on the day (there were plenty of empty seats dotted around) and then another s/t holder used a voucher to obtain a freebie. The freebie was then sold on for £10.00. Both the freebie and the seat purchased were at the far end of The West Stand in line with the corner flag, but further praise for F O Keith for advising of a vacant seat just behind him and virtually on the half way line.

.....For most of this contest the tension emanating from the home supporters was almost audible and the sound of finger nails being constantly chewed was also very apparent as this was one tense contest. In Cionference National terms, Harrogate by their Play Off positioning are clearly a more that competent team and given the fact that Orient's progress in recent games from what I hear has been a succession of tense encounters with no opportunity to feel at ease at any point in proceedings and this was the case here.

To attempt to create a sense of calm, the hosts took an early lead with an perfectly directed corner from McAnuff being met by a flicked header from Coulson. However the sense of calm was at best momentary as Harrogate beavered away in midfield never really testing Brill in the home goal but having a lot of possession. There were a few occasions when the tension could have been relieved but a linesman's flag for offside chalked off Bonne's tap in after Maguire-Drew's miscued shot landed at his feet. Tension of course can lead to anger and the indignation levels of the home fans was made worse by some bewildering decisions by the man in black especially the decision to caution Clay for what was from my angle was a hard but fair challenge but a lot of rolling around and faux pain convinced the man in black otherwise.

It was during the second half when the mutual unease of the home supporters became much more apparent as the visitors had the opportunities to level. The closest that they came to equalising was when Thewlis ran onto a long ball down the line rounded Brill but wasted the chance shooting against the post. Soon after Beck should have achieved a better effort than tamely shooting wide after a poor header out. It helped the hosts immensely that Brill was in such commanding form in the penalty area with accomplished catching throughout, though in the final minutes he was once again rounded by Thewlis but the latter's shot towards the far corner from a none too favourable angle saw Coulson wrap a toe around the ball just in front of the goal line.

This is not to say that Orient did not have the second half opportunities but they were not create the threat level seen at the opposite end. At the culmination of 90 minutes, the raising by the 4th official of 5 additional minutes saw E10 stress levels reach unparalleled heights. However, time erosion was possible by a retreat into a corner and Brophy's corner met by a towering header just under the bar by Harrold saw Belshaw beaten and the tension once again momentarily receded. But then news came through of Salford's late winner at Boreham Wood and the tension became very apparent again. It then abated on the final whistle but the nerves will once again manifest themselves again on Monday afternoon at Solihull. I am sure that the intervening two days will be spent in quiet meditative contemplation by those of an anxious disposition.

With the start of 4 days worth of c2c engineering and the only rail exit from RM17 being a half hourly shuttle service to Upminster, it was not the best of times for LU to shut the District Line for a lengthy East London stretch. Meant that the journeys between Barking and Stratford were very much of the cosy vaiety, though no problems in the sense of timings. Indoors just before 18.30......

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Apr 19, 2019, 8:31 PM)

TriKillieTom
Junior Team Sub

Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 PM

Location: In my 34th year of a 1 year exile, south of the border, down Doncaster way
Team(s): Gainsborough Trinity

Post #8 of 36 (7736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gainsborough Trinity at home to Hednesford Town, NPL

A draw was the right result in a game of few chances and few talking points. This was a sporting contest, though for much of the time the sport was more like tentative base-line tennis than football. More like wrestling matches between centre forwards and centre-halfs (Wilson for Gainsborough and Wells for the visitors Hednesford were physical). Both forwards were handfuls, though Wells' performance was the more symmetrical, with artistic falls (one in each half) in the hopes of convincing the referee of the quality of his diva-esque auditions for penalties. His efforts, like his lumbering moves, were flops.

Wilson took the idea of 'a handful' too far when, in the latter stages of the game, he apparently grabbed Hednesford's Daniel Racchi by the pony-tail - after an altercation in the Pitmen's box involving Racchi and Hannah. With much deliberation, involving all three officials, Wilson was shown the red card minutes after the same card was held high above Hednesford's #7. Wilson was livid and he was eventually marshalled from the field by a series of Trinity players. Racchi was cautious, perhaps preferring the noisy spotlight of the pitch to the potentially less public, potentially less calmer clubhouse. Karma indeed. Racchi had niggled and muttered all game. His dismissal was not predestined, he chose this path - though it was a path he was slow to follow at the end.

The game's earliest chance came to the Blues. Ben Hughes played a big part in the pacy build-up, but the ball into the box came from right-back Austin. Worsfold (offside) headed against the post. The early excitement was not to last. Perhaps had Hughes been brought into the game more, Gainsborough would have threatened more. He wasn't, they didn't.

Hednesford's best chance fell to Wells. Through on goal, perhaps imagining his name in the headlines we all saw his shot disappear into the blue, nowhere near the Blues' net. Into the blue yonder.

A Byrne free-kick was well saved by Weaver in the Hednesford goal. A Simon Russell shot cleared the goal but stayed in the ground. The rest of the half was matter-of-fact, run-of-the-mill, nothing-of-note football.

Second half.
Apart from the double sending off, there was little worthy of mention. Neither side posed much of a threat. Worsfold, Wee Hughes and Byrne came off; Hannah, Simmons and Big Hughes came on.

The game livened up with the introduction of Hannah, who injected movement into the attack. A lovely interplay near and in the visitor's 18-yard box involving Russell, Byrne and Hannah had been the second 45s stand-out moment of skill. At the death a half, half-chance fell the way of substitute Hughes. It was so unexpected that he reacted slowly, too slowly.

So a draw it was. The coming together of Racchi and Wilson provided the talking point. This was a game that will not live long in the memories of the 812 in attendance.

Easy to please. A football fan. Talking some rubbish took straight out of an American football playbook!

(This post was edited by TriKillieTom on Apr 19, 2019, 8:42 PM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Apr 19, 2019, 8:44 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #9 of 36 (7552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After a bit of a lie-in, I attended the other C&C Chester Senior Cup semi-final, also at Chester Nomads' newish ground, and this kicked off at 2.30, resulting in
Malpas v Upton Athletic Association 3-2 (f&n, att 160 (est))

Something of a surprise result, as Malpas have been struggling in the Cheshire League, and, I think, they did have some good fortune today.

Malpas went ahead on 7 minutes when their number 9 scored with a looping header past the stationary goalkeeper, and then, on 34 minutes, no. 11 scored direct from a free kick. Just before half time, Upton's number 6 pulled a goal back from the penalty spot, even though the goalkeeper got a hand to his effort.

Early in the second half, Upton had a man sent off for some action in the wall for a free kick when they were on the attack. Somebody said he kicked out at a defender, and it must have been something like that, but apart from that spectator and the referee, nobody seemed to see anything. The 10 men of Upton equalised through an own goal on 65, but, finally Malpas got the winner on 78 minutes through a substitute when the goalkeeper probably should have done better. Possibly, however, like me, he was distracted by supporters throwing bottles noisily and inaccurately at a bin.

Anyway, Malpas go through to the final of a competition which, as Paul said, certainly does generate some enthusiasm. After visiting the Cellar Bar and Old Harker's, near the station, I took the pleasant walk down the canal bank to the Bridge Inn, through whose car park it's easy to access the Nomads' ground. There were three handpumps in the clubhouse, and although the Westwood Cheshire Cat was 50p cheaper than in the aforementioned Harker's, it was of distinctly poorer quality at the sports club!

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Apr 19, 2019, 9:22 PM)

kirby knitters

Apr 19, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #10 of 36 (7513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TriKillieTom] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SCEL 1.
Meridian VP 2 Snodland Town 4.
Adm. £5
Prog None.
Att 39.
Fosters £4.

Went down early for this one sampling the delights of the RS Hispaniola before embarking on the journey from hell better known as Rail Replacement, this time from Lewisham to Charlton A simple 20 minute walk and I arrived at the basic ground with a 50 odd seater stand on one side but nothing else.

VP are having a torrid season and found themselves 3 down at one point before making a decent game of it.

I went out of my way on the return to do The Great Harry (JDW) in Woolwich and try to find a way of avoiding RR but had no such luck as DLR was also out of action Only myself to blame I suppose travelling around at this time of year using public transport but I had a good day anyway with the added bonus of glorious weather.

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

Apr 19, 2019, 10:14 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #11 of 36 (7075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League 1
Coventry city v Bradford city. 2-0.
Attendance 11,711 away 601
Admission £ 22
Programme £ 3

An important game for both sides. Coventry have an out side chance of the play offs while bottom of the table Bradford needed to win or draw to keep their alive any hope of staying up. This was a 1 pm. Kick off. An open game with both teams creating chances.Coventry opened the scoring on 9 mins through top scorer Hiwula . Bradford had defender knight-percival sent off on 44 minutes for a 2nd yellow card. The 2nd half was dominated by Coventry who had at least 6 chances to add to their only goal. On 88 minutes Coventry finally got their 2nd through Enobakhare . The early kick off meant Bradford had to wait for the 3 o clock games to finish . The other results meant Bradford's relegation was confirmed. Coventry are now 5 points off the remaining play off spot with 3 games to play.

(This post was edited by SKY BLUE TAT on Apr 19, 2019, 10:16 PM)

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Apr 19, 2019, 10:27 PM

Post #12 of 36 (6997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good Friday 19th April 2019
West Bromwich Albion 3 Hull City 2
Admission £20
Programme £3.50

My original choice of game was Newtown v Bala but my train was cancelled at Manchester Piccadilly and as I had a bed in Birmingham tonight and had earmarked Stourbridge v Alvechurch I was looking for something in the area.

No new grounds could be found and my son who was attending West Bromwich Albion v Hull City said tickets could still be bought at £20.
I attend Hull homes but don't bother with aways much these days but thought better than doing nothing and met him in a fanzone outside the ground were fans of both teams mingled seemed a very good idea to me.

The ground seemed full and it was a fairly even first half until Kieran Gibbs put the home side ahead just before half time.
Hull City came storming out after halftime and took the lead through two storing Todd Kane goals not bad for a fullback.

This stung the baggies into action and Dwight Gayle and this was how it remained until towards the end when Gayle took advantage of Hull hesitancy to secure the points.

An enjoyable game but not the result I wanted so it was quickly into Birmingham to check into my hotel before heading out to Stourbridge FC via train the branch shuttle and approximately 15 mins walk from the interchange.

Stourbridge FC 3 Alvechurch FC 3
Evostik League South Premier Central
Admission £10
Programme £2.50
Badge £3
Pastie £2.
Attendance over 1000.

A decent ground which was filling nicely with one side fenced off with a cricket pitch. There was a strange stand with both seating and standing at the sides behind one goal was a covered terrace and the other was uncovered hard standing.
There was a decent clubhouse a club shop and a decent tea hut.

The game was a decent one and in the first minute Alvechurch were awarded a penalty but blazed it over the bar however they dominated the first half and took a deserved lead .
Straight after the break Alvechurch scored a second and it looked game over.
However this stung Stourbridge and they then bossed the game and struck 3 goals.
The game quietened down and just when it looked as if the home side would hang on Alvechurch got a deserved equaliser in injury time.

Another enjoyable game on my Midlands double with goals galore on a red hot Good Friday.

New Grounds 2019/20 :189
Total Games :26
Total Goals : 81
Av Goals Per Game : 3.10
Last new Ground: 13/10/19 CDA Navalcarnero 3 Union Adarve 2
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1007 Liskeard

pokal02
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2019, 10:39 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #13 of 36 (6921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mousehole 4-0 Penzance
SWPL 1 West
Att 228 Adm £4 Diet Coke £1 Prog online

Duly caught the 23:45 on Thur night arriving into Penzance at 08:10 this morning. The bus to Paul, a small village 3/4 mile north of Mousehole where they play, doesn't run on BHs so it was a bus to Mousehole and a 18-20 min uphill walk (not as far or steep as I'd feared though).

It's already a decent ground for Step 7, fully railed/hardstanding, 60-70 bucket seats (unusually not under cover but not needed on a very warm day) on the halfway line and the clubhouse & tea hut just to one side. A bit more cover & lights probably all that's (visibly) needed for Step 6 - very few nearby houses to object to permission for anything.

The game was pretty one-sided - it was surprisingly 0-0 at HT despite Mousehole's total domination, they scored on 49, 76, 81 (yellow card for Penzance keeper for dissent) and 86 (2nd yellow to keeper for more dissent). There was still time for another visiting player to be sent off following a kick out at Mousehole's No.12.

No problems coming home and and an enjoyable day out with some nice coastal views thrown in. Not sure I'd want to repeat travelling overnight in a hurry though - didn't get much sleep on the train.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2019, 12:10 AM

Post #14 of 36 (6567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newtown 2 Bala Town 3

Latham Park: JD Welsh Premier League

This match provided a relatively quick return to Latham Park after having been here three weeks ago for the JD Welsh Cup semi-final between Barry Town United and The New Saints. I was also present for the FAW Trophy semi-final double-header a couple of weeks earlier but this was the first time I had watched the home club in action here since mid-January when the Robins entertained Cefn Druids in the final round of fixtures in the first phase of the Welsh Premier League campaign. Newtown have enjoyed a solid campaign this term as their results in the opening months of the season meant they would be participating in the end of season Europa League play-offs, subject to the club achieving the UEFA licence for participation next term, which the club have now done. The Robins came into this afternoon’s match in fifth position following a 4-1 defeat on the road at Caernarfon Town last Friday evening. That result saw the Canaries move above the Montgomeryshire club in the table in the battle to gain home advantage in those play-off matches next month. Bala Town, on the other hand, have not been enjoying the best of seasons by the Lakesiders’ own recent high standards. The Maes Tegid club found themselves one place and five points behind their hosts and knew they had to win their two remaining fixtures to have any chance of concluding the season in fifth position. Bala Town have suffered a 4-1 home defeat at the hands of Irn-Bru Cup runners-up Connah’s Quay Nomads last Friday evening.

Newtown came close to breaking the deadlock in the opening minute but headed over from a cross on the left but it was the Lakesiders that forged ahead four minutes later when the striker headed home from a free-kick. The Robins struck the crossbar moments after the restart before having a goal ruled out from a 22nd minute corner for a foul on the goalkeeper but they levelled the scores just a minute later courtesy of a 25 yard direct free-kick. Newtown turned the match around in the 28th minute with Nick Rushton curling home a 25 yard effort following a swift break by the hosts that had started out from their own penalty area. Bala Town were back on level terms six minutes before the interval when mid Walian Chris Venables found the back of the net with another header from an inviting free-kick delivered into the Robins' penalty area. Kieran Mills-Evans headed wide of goal from a free-kick into the Lakesiders' penalty area two minutes after the break before a shot was lifted over the crossbar following a poor punch by the Bala Town goalkeeper. The visitors saw a header saved from a 58th minute free-kick before breaking quickly down the right flank and being denied by a Dave Jones double save eight minutes later. The Lakesiders regained the lead in the 75th minute after breaking down the right and Dave Hayes latched on to a through ball and rounded Jones in the host's goal before finding the net. Bala Town attempted to increase their lead three minutes later but sliced an effort wide on the turn before Newtown had a good opportunity to equalise 10 minutes later but his lob over the advancing goalkeeper drifted wide of the far post.

Penparcau 3 St Dogmaels 0

Cae Baker: Emrys Morgan Cup Final

The final of the Emrys Morgan Cup on Good Friday evening has become a traditional date in the mid Wales football calendar over the course of many years. This season’s final was originally being staged at Park Avenue but then news came through last week that the match had moved to nearby Penrhyncoch. Bishop’s Castle Town thought they had earned a place in this showpiece fixture, following last month’s semi-final victory over Penparcau at Caersws, but the Shropshire club were later dismissed from the competition for fielding an ineligible player due having played more than the permitted number of season fixtures this term. Penparcau came into the final, following their reprive, at the summit of the Aberystwyth League First Division and last weekend defeated Tregaron Turfs 2-0 to reach the final of the Len and Julia Newman Memorial Trophy. They had overcome Llanidloes Town Reserves, Trewern United, Padarn United and Guilsfield Reserves prior to their re-in-statement. The Min-y-ddol club had lifted the prestigious trophy on one occasion previously when they defeated local rivals Penrhyncoch Reserves in 2007/08 and were beaten finalists on two other occasions. St Dogmaels had recently been crowned champions of the Ceredigion League First Division following a 2-0 home victory over Llandysul last Saturday. Newtown wanderers, Abereraon Town Reserves, Llanymynech, Crannog and Lampeter Town had been defeated en route to the final. The Dogs had also claimed the trophy when they beat Llanrhaeadr in 1994/95 and had been defeated in three other previous finals.

A large crowd was in attendance for this evening's final at Cae Baker, with not only supporters of the two finalists, but players, officials and supporters from other local clubs and further afield in mid Wales. Penparcau had a great opportunity to open the scoring in the second minute when an Arky forward ran on to through ball but was denied by the St Dogmaels custodian. The Ceredigion League champions struck the crossbar from a 16th minute free-kick and netted from the rebound but the goal was denied by an offside flag. St Dogmaels fired over from 25 yards out after a 36th minute free-kick but the two teams would enter the half-time break with all to player for after the resumption. Penparcau made a strong start to the second-half as they took advantage of playing down the infamous Cae Baker slope. The deadlock was finally broken on the hour mark when a close range shoot beat the St Dogmaels goalkeeper but was cleared off the line and struck an onrushing Arky player and rebounded into the net. The Aberystwyth League club doubled their lead six minutes later when a Penparcau forward ran on to a ball played into the penalty area and, although the St Dogmaels goalkeeper managed to get a hand to the ball, it eventually spun goalwards and over the line. The match was virtually over as a contest on the 70th minute mark when a low cross from the right was turned past the Dogs goalkeeper at his near post. The Pembrokeshire-based club were close to reducing the deficit straight after the restart but pulled a shot wide of the target following a cross from the byline. There was some drama before the final whistle, when the experienced Mattie Davies was shown a second yellow card for what the referee deemed to be a dive in the penalty area, when he was challenged by a S Dogmaels. But it did not make any difference to the outcome as Penparcau lifted the prestigious trophy for a second time in their history.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 780
Matches: 174
New Grounds: 16

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2019, 1:31 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #15 of 36 (6394 views)
Shortcut

MacDuff 3-7 New Pitsligo
N.E.Scotland FA (a summer league), Gordon Leask Cup, group 2

f&n, h/c 30

No such thing as a Bank Holiday Friday up here. A proper day at work, with only evening options. My first dip of the year into summer football provided today's fix, again with houseguest Yorkieexile - he's lived there more than me this week!

With thanks to Steveb - his recent WDYG had flagged up that MacDuff have this year moved from sharing the plastic used by North Junior club Deveronside, onto a grass pitch alongside. So my 2nd venue seen MacDuff at, and Yorkieexile's 3rd.

One shouldn't expect too high a standard of football at this level. We were not disappointed. Plenty of comedy defending / goalkeeping. One particularly 'ample' full back had a novel way of stopping a winger in his tracks - he was wearing his shorts rather too lowly slung for my liking, and when a forward bore down on him he turned his back on him, to reveal not a pretty sight. Urgh!

Home at a sensible time, to research tomorrow's options. All credit to the Match Secretary of the Dundee Saturday Morning League - his website's fixtures xl was still only showing up to Wednesday, but when I messaged him at 11pm, five minutes later he had updated it and alerted me to it. A nice bloke who I have previously chatted to at DSMFL games.

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2019, 11:18 AM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 36 (5640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WESTERN LGE PREM DIV: BRADFORD TOWN 5 WESTBURY UTD. 2

ADM: £6. PROG: £1. ATT: 232 (looked over 300)

Handed granddaughter back at midday, so just had time to go over the hill for this 13.00 kick off. In recent years, TrowVegas or Melshum would’ve been the arch enemy. These days BOA are at step five & have been joined by Moonraker neighbours, the White ‘Orsemen.

I naively thought the last home game of the season, may have been a tame affair with nought on it. Not a bit of it, as we had two goals & a red card early doors. Plenty of feisty tackles & decent goals to enjoy too. Deserved victory for BOA on the day to complete the double over their local rivals. Westbury have fallen away badly in recent weeks, having been challenging for the title a while back.

Regular visitor here over the last two decades & although they now have seats / lights etc. the essence of the ground remains the same feel to it. All facilities of the covered aspect are still down the main road side. The bar is owned by the local bowls club, but did at least have a cracking enamel badge on sale within. Pleasant afternoon out in the spring sunshine & equally warm welcome from the gateman as well.

KRTM :-)

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2019, 12:02 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #17 of 36 (5547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1200 hrs
Toolstation Western One
Southbank
Corsham Town 2 Devizes Town 0
Admission: £5 Paper available Attendance: 136

Local derby at Step 6 on a roaster of a day. Convenient KO time and, as ever here, a friendly welcome. Home side are having a great season and loom set to finish 3rd after this win over a willing but limited Devizes side.
However neither side threatened much in a turgid 1st half, Chebolleau having several half chances but seemed more determined to score a 'worldy' than actually get the ball in the net. HT 0-0.
The home side were much brighter second half and two goals from Bright on 70 and 90+2 saw them home and dry. Afew noisy Devizes fans had started on the lager early and their language got a bit fruity but credit to the older Corsham fans who asked them not to swear...and they stopped too!

A short drive home and walk to...
1500 hrs
Evo-Stik Southern One South
infiLED Arena
Melksham Town 1 Winchester City 4
Admission: S/T Paper available Attendance: 470

Another game with the kids and whist they were never going to win, the crowd were right behind them. None of the splitter contingent here today and they missed a good game.
Home side were 3 down after 15 and I feared a cricket score; however King grabbed one back after a melee. Some of these lads have a great future and Baker, who is 17, was sensational down the right wing.
City added a 4th after about 70 but by this time the game had slowed due to the heat. A fair few Citizens fans here today, which is good to see. Last home game for me before my holiday - apparently we have had 10+ applications for the vacant manager's post - interesting times ahead

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 60 Goals: 242 GPG: 4.03 New Grounds: 36

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 20, 2019, 12:38 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #18 of 36 (5468 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
North East Wales. KO 13:00*. (F&N). Crowd 22.

Acton 6 v 3 Brymbo Victoria

Acton's victory meant Flint Mountain needed three points to be champions ...

4pm
North East Wales League
Connah's Quay Nomads U18 3 Flint Mountain 6 (att 63 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

Flint Mountain got the win to be crowned champions but they were given a fright by Connah's Quay's youth team. The first half was simple enough, as Flint scored three without reply.

Connah's Quay were better after break but when a penalty increased Flint's lead to 4-0 there was no suggestion of anything other than an easy win. But Flint Mountain eased off and allowed Connah's Quay to score three times in 10 minutes. They had chances for a fourth but it was Flint who got the game's next goal, and a late sixth to wrap up the win.

Work commitments meant I couldn't travel far, and with few games on Good Friday I'd expected a football-free day until I spotted this fixture. It was played on the 3G pitch at Connah's Quay High School, very close to Nomads' first team stadium. It's not bad as 3Gs go, with a small seated stand that was full to capacity for this match. Half of one side, up to the stand, was roped off for spectators, and dugouts are on the opposite side.

On my blog at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...-flint-mountain.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Apr 20, 2019, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #19 of 36 (5192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

York City 2 Spennymoor Town 3
National League - North
Bootham Crescent

Admission: £14 - away terracing
Programme: £2.50, teamsheet 10p
Attendance: 2871

Decided on York as wanted to see a game here before it goes under the bulldozer later this year. Very ‘Old school’ stadium, but disappointing that the working men’s club was full so it was the city social club - £4.50 a pint!!!!!

Not enough turnstiles open for away fans and poor quality food at Premier league prices , but they were the only negatives.

Loved the way the ground is hemmed in by terraced streets, liked the variety of stands and impressed by quality turf - then we had the game, a classic with some cracking goals that York were unlucky not to get anything out of the game.

On the way back, less traffic than way up and arrived with 20 minutes to spare for the 7.45 kick off:

Harborough Town 2 Cogenhoe United 2
UCL Premier
Bowden Park

Admission: £6 ( with free small chocolate egg!)
Programme: £1 sold out on night
Attendance: 180 h/c

Opposite to York, newish out of town ground, plenty of car parking and excellent food and drink on offer. But stands with no character however this is a quality G4 surface and like the afternoon game, we saw some cracking goals - slow first half but second was end to end with Cogenhoe getting back on terns right at the death.

Last New ground; Berkhamsted, Games in 2019/20 Season; 36, New Grounds this Season; 14, Next scheduled game: tbc

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Apr 20, 2019, 10:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 36 (4449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gainsborough 0-0 Hednesford...Evostik Prem...Adm £12...Prog £2.50....Ice Cream (flake and strawberry sauce) £1.50...Cuppa £1.20

Also at this one after a half decent run across the M62 and down a very heavy A1. Parked up outside the ground and had a chat with a few of the officials before a quick stroll into town a few minutes away.

The game has been well covered and clear cut chances few. A super old ground which I last visited over 30 years ago and it must have been during my drinking era as I dont remember anything about it.

Good to see Chesterfield Martin also in attendance on a day that was too hot for football. Good idea having the ice cream van in the ground, did some decent trade today. Probably a fair result as despite huffing and puffing neither side could bag the winner. At full time, booked in to the local Travelodge and had a night on the bevvy. The new Travelodge is ideally positioned for anyone hopping to see Trinity, opened about 4 months ago, windows sealed but aircon excellent. Managed to add a mug to my collection....anyone buying from the Club Shop today seemed to get a Celebrations Easter Egg thrown in.....cant complain at that.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

KevinW
Youth Team Star

Apr 20, 2019, 10:17 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace

Post #21 of 36 (4389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The games at Bridport, Bitton and Melsksham Town were all tempting, with the latter two offering a potentially decent double, but as these would all have involved revisits, I decided to plump for a step 6 double instead.

Toolstation Western League – First Division
Lakeview – Official Attendance: 60

Bishop Sutton (1) 1 …….…… Cheddar (0) 1

I selected this game as Cheddar still had something to play for. The league title was still a possibility, although nabbing one of the nine step 6 promotion slots for second-placed teams was probably a more likely target.

At one point on my journey, I was thinking a ‘plan B’ may be required; with my ETA nudging up to around 12:50, my phone decided to lose connectivity as I turned off the M4 into unknown territory; I was ‘flying blind’ for a while, but fortunately managed to keep going in the right direction until I got my navigation back online. Eventually arrived at around 12:40.

Entry, including a decent enough (for step 6) programme - £6

I was rather surprised to find my cup of tea set me back £2, but later discovered I had been over-charged and was given another at half-time.

Lakeview is a three-sided ground in a very rural setting, but I didn’t actually see the large Chew Valley Lake which lies to the west of the ground.

This was one of those ‘what the hell am I doing here’ kind of games; a long way from home, watching a dire game of football between two sides that I had no interest in whatsoever. Cheddar’s title hopes look all but over and I am not sure where this leaves their hopes for one of the second-place promotion slots – as I understand it, they weren’t in the top nine even before this draw.

UHLSPORT Hellenic League – Division One West
Wildsmith Meadow – Official Attendance: 369

Newent Town (0) 0 …… Cheltenham Saracens (0) 1

£5 entry + £1 programme (glossy, but nothing special)

I took advantage of the late hop game to complete my Good Friday double header. With the game at Bishop Sutton finishing by 3pm, I had plenty of time to get to Newent for the 7pm kick-off – in fact I arrived before 5pm, so I was hoping there may be something of interest to kill the time. The ground is on a main road (B4215 - not very interesting) just outside Newent, but Hook’s Lane, which runs past one end of the ground, disappears off into the countryside – so I decided to take a wander down that way and get a little bit of exercise in the early evening sunshine

Don’t know the full story of the ground, but it is obviously undergoing much work in support of Newent’s first venture into step 6 football this season. It is all looking very tidy, with a new stand on the north-side. There are no permanent seats in the stand as yet – what was in place for this game appeared to have been ‘borrowed’ from the clubhouse. There is evidence that a railway line once ran through what is now part of the ground – there is a partly dismantled bridge in one corner of the stadium and the tree-line, visible on Google Maps, clearly shows where the line would have been.

Pleased to report that the game was of far higher quality than the earlier affair. Saracens were still in with a shout of winning the league, but I don’t think their record would be good enough for promotion should they finish second. Despite having less than half the number of points of their visitors, Newent gave as good as they got in the first half. Both sides tried to play decent football and it made for a good watch. Saracens appeared to up their game a little after the break and it is fair to say they had the better of the second period. The goal was scored after their #9 twice failed to beat the host’s ‘keeper from close range; the second save resulted in a corner from which Cheltenham’s #3 headed home.

(This post was edited by KevinW on Apr 20, 2019, 10:22 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2019, 12:34 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #22 of 36 (4002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Newent along with the first two hop games, both in Hellenic League Premier Division:

1200 (kicked off at 1225):
Longlevens 2-1 Reading City - Attendance 331

1530:
Lydney Town 2-0 Windsor - Attendance 337

First game kicked off late due to an accident on the M4 holding up the visitors, and myself as I didn't arrive until 1215 either. Visitors led 1-0 at the break but the hosts turned the game round with 2 quick goals early in the second half. Ground behind imposing IBIS Hotel just off the A417 going into Gloucester city centre. Not much going for it apart from a nice little stand with two rows of seats and a tarmac standing pathway behind. There is also another football pitch with goal nets up directly behind the opposite side. Does anybody know whose home ground it is? Possibly a team in the North Gloucestershire or Cheltenham & District League or just a school playing field.

Lydney was a tidy up job after the abandoned hop game in 2008 IIRC. Since then the ground has been enclosed by a wooden fence with two Atcost stands next to each other on the side enclosed by trees. For the first hour the only bright part of the game was the visitors kit, all green with red union jack design on the shirts. A goal finally came when the hosts were awarded a penalty and they added a second late on.

Passed another ground between Lydney and Newent I believe belonging to the other Westbury United, who play in the North Gloucestershire League. Looks a nice picturesque set up shared with cricket alongside the River Severn.

rambler77
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2019, 8:41 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #23 of 36 (3746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1200 (kicked off at 1225):
Longlevens 2-1 Reading City - Attendance 331

There is also another football pitch with goal nets up directly behind the opposite side. Does anybody know whose home ground it is? Possibly a team in the North Gloucestershire or Cheltenham & District League or just a school playing field.

----

The setup you can see through the fence behind the dugouts is the Walls Sports & Social Club, home of Barnwood United (Gloucestershire Northern Senior League).

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 21, 2019, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Reading

Post #24 of 36 (3483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Match i)

Slough Town Challenge Cup Final

The Gore - Burham FC (KO 10:30)

Langley 1-2 Singh Sabha Slough
{STEP07 Hellenic Two East: 2nd} v {STEP08-ish East Berks Premier: 2nd}

Admission: £4 incl free competition prog

Attendance: h/c roughly 350 - incl. a lot of young families.

Direction/Facilities: regular here and also usually for this particular Final - to start off the Easter w/e.
Langley were the holders but the previous three finals had been won by Thame Rgrs (or the equivalent thereof) who are no longer able to enter now they are at STEP06

Match: evenly fought first half - with SSS's quick feet and inter-passing up against a more solid robust outfit that gradually grasped control of the game as it progressed.

2nd half as Langley tried to go more expansive in search of goals they left gaps wide left & crucially in central mid and Singh Sabha exploited this.

0-1 good run down the right, cross driven in low by a late arriving midfielder, from the centre of the box.

0-2 very late with Langley pushing up - short passing move through middle put a player clear on goal who slotted past the keeper

Deep into 6 mins of injury time, a minor petulant clash on the field spilled over into a full brawl in the seats and incl players from both sides - not great with so many young kids around and both sets of fans and players should have known better. Ref just stood patiently by and let it blow out - punctuated by the occasional blast on his whistle to let them know he was waiting for them to re-start the match on the field.

1-2 keeper made a good save from flicked near post volley but the ball was prodded in on the rebound

Still time for header over bar from very close range, from a free-kick awarded on the corner of the box - not sure tempers would have remained in check during any ET. Not read about any actions to be taken in the aftermath - will need to dig out the Slough Observer. Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...checked roads for next options and M25, true to B/H form, was reportedly gridlocked clockwise nr Watford & St Albans junctions - had still vague notions of trying for D&R v Eastleigh but thought better of it and stuck to my stand-by plan of a local re-visit: trundled back home for a short stop. Then headed back out with plenty of time in hand for:

Match ii)

Vanarama National South

Laithwaite Community Stadium (Kingfield)

Woking 1-2 Concord Rangers
{2nd v 7th}

Admission: £15

Attendance: 1819

Directions:
Traffic OK out on the A329/A322 by early PM - I deliberately stayed on the A322 past Knaphill and came in via Old Woking (B380) to find my usual space for the main hosts; a fair distance away South off of Westfield Rd
(I've been here a couple of times for lodgers Sheerwater more recently, when the main Stadium car parks are more readily available)
- I copped a few distasteful glares Angelic from locals out tending their front lawns & topiary - but made sure I wasn't close to any driveways and picked a big hedge to park next to. Tongue
In this sleepy leafy suburb you are more likely to be the subject of a strongly worded letter to the Woking & District Globe - as opposed to having slashed tyres or busted windows. Sly... but there's no harm in being considerate.

Facilities:
Sat right up the back of the LG stand - no away fans evident at the start though there was a segregation mesh in place?

Catering outlet on concourse No onions for burgers & 'league' prices Unimpressed should have gone to van parked down in the corner
There was an Ice cream van down that end too

Much later in the 2nd half I finally noticed some fans applauding down in the near corner as their goal scorer Wall was subbed off, in the 2nd half.

Match:
0-1 low cross/shot from narrow angle was spilled behind the line by the keeper

0-2 a long range drive to top left corner

Ht - the home side had been utterly turgid and were deservedly booed off - woke up a bit early 2nd half and started running more directly at CR back 4 and had a good spell of 20' or so, during which they threatened to make the game more of a contest - culminating in:

1-2 64' pen clumsy challenge/close to a dive but enough contact for spot-kick.

Pattern not continued as the Cards efforts fizzled out in the heat.
Home fans not enamoured of CR time-wasting, which included the classic:
Player about to be subbed gets a signal from the bench. At the very next break in play he walks surreptitiously as far from his own dugout as possible then just before resumption, the board goes up with his number on - cue very slow amble back across the pitch. Cool

back indoors by about 18:30 - had to re-stock beer supplies for my dearest's Bellringing day - since my eldest and his friends had managed to drink ALL of my box of Rebellion Ales the night before!! Mad

I shall have to write a letter to someone!!Sly Wink

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 21, 2019, 3:30 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #25 of 36 (3270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Good Friday 19th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A bit late i know but...

A late notice free pass from management who decided that she didn't need me for a run to the tip as it was too hot enabled me to attend...

Bedfont Sports 3 Ware 2

Isthmian Division 1 South Central

A very enjoyable first half which finished 2-2 with some excellent goals. Ware took the lead on 15 with a penalty, then BS scored on 26 and 29 to take the lead, only for Ware to equalise on 42. Second half wasn't as good as both sides tightened up defensively but BS won it with a slightly controversial penalty on 78. Attendance around 100 on a glorious afternoon, with the heat radiating of of the plastic like a furnace. Ware's playoff ambitions pretty much died with this defeat. Bedfont will be happy with their first season at Step 4.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3