Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 1, 2019, 2:51 PM

Post #26 of 34 (704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The stark differences between Saturday's quarterfinal games in Houston and Sunday's games in Philadelphia wasn't lost on even the casual observer. In Houston, you had 4 teams that got after each other and played to win. In Philadelphia, you had 4 teams that were so tentative and playing not to lose, as to cause mass narcolepsy! But, since I took it upon myself to inform people in other parts of the globe about the wacky, wonderful world of CONCACAF, I deserve what I get!

The first game saw Jamaica defeat Panama 1-0 in a dour affair. If the temperature in Philadelphia was anything like it's been the past few days at the Women's World Cup, I would forgive the teams for taking it easy to try and pace themselves and conserve energy, but the temperature was not a factor at all. The game featured 32 fouls as both sides looked active when the ball was in the middle of the pitch, but the closer they moved toward goal, the cautiousness set in, and quality shots were few and far between. Panama blew a golden chance to take the lead in the 26th minute when Abdiel Arroyo raced down the left side with the ball and made the Jamaican defenders and keeper Andre Blake look like featured products at Madame Tussaud's. He blasted his shot about 8 yards from goal, and promptly missed the frame. It was that kind of day. Each team only had 7 shots on goal, with 4 on-target from Jamaica compared to just 2 for Panama. The breakthrough for the Reggae Boyz came in the 75th minute when Panama got called for a handball in the box. Darren Mattocks, who entered the game a couple minutes earlier converted the penalty for the only score of the day. I didn't happen to see that part of the game, but according to sportswriters and fans, the most excitement in this contest came when the Jamaican players were arguing among themselves as to who was going to take the kick in the first place! For the remaining 15 minutes, Panama controlled possession, but kept passing the ball from sideline to sideline instead of trying to force the Jamaican defense into a mistake closer to the goal. As a neutral fan, it was frustrating to watch. I almost wished the referee had booked the entire Panamanian team for stalling in the final minutes...and they were the team that was behind!

The second game was a bit more lively at the outset, as the United States took the play to Curacao, but after the opening (and ultimately only) goal was tallied in the 25th minute, there was little drama or tension on display. This game was much cleaner than the first quarterfinal, as only 15 fouls were called, collectively. On-target shots though were at a premium as both sides combined only had 8 (3 for USA; 5 for Curacao). USA scored a goal off a cross from recent Chelsea signee, Christian Pulisic, who found the head of Weston McKennie who was parked near the back post and easily beat Curacao keeper Eloy Room. For the remainder of the affair, both teams played a relatively measured and cautious game, but the overall quality seemed better than the first game of the night. For most of the second half, Curacao carried the play, but the attacks toward the USA goal usually fizzled out the closer the ball got to the 18-yard box, and the team resorted to distance shots that did not trouble USA keeper Zach Steffen.

So, it's off to Nashville for a Wednesday semifinal between Jamaica and the United States. Jamaica are bidding to make a 3rd straight Gold Cup final, as the team lost to Mexico in 2015 and USA in 2017. Jamaica also topped the USA in a June 5th friendly, 1-0, so it will be interesting to see how things break in a match that carries more significance.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 3, 2019, 6:53 AM

Post #27 of 34 (591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The first semifinal of the 2019 Gold Cup is in the books, and Christmas definitely came early for Mexico, who escaped Haiti's upset attempt, 1-0. The game went into extra time, and a controversial penalty was awarded to Mexico in the 93rd minute, which was converted by Raul Jiminez. There was some contact in the box, but every analyst and commentator agreed it was an extremely soft challenge.

On the night, Mexico dominated the run of play, with 69% possession. El Tri had credit for 27 shots, but only 5 were on target. Haiti had 11 shots, but just 1 was on target. That one came in the 118th minute when Mikael Cantave launched a shot from about 20 yards out which bounced off the top of the cross bar. Mexico was then able to run out the clock and advanced to the Gold Cup championship match in Chicago on Sunday. It will be the first appearance for the team since 2015. Tuesday's game was played before an enthusiastic crowd, as Mexico upped its overall record against Haiti to 8-2-0.

Coming up tonight in the other semifinal in Nashville is a re-match of the 2017 Gold Cup title game between Jamaica and the United States. USA have not conceded a goal in the tournament so far, while scoring 12 times itself. Jamaica have struggled to find the net, having outscored its opponents 5-3 in 4 games.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 3, 2019, 10:11 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #28 of 34 (564 views)
Shortcut

Tuesday's game was played before an enthusiastic crowd, as Mexico upped its overall record against Haiti to 8-2-0.

Coming up tonight in the other semifinal in Nashville is a re-match of the 2017 Gold Cup title game between Jamaica and the United States.

Circa 64,000. Haiti do have a win and a draw in the other 2 recorded games played between the 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 MLS games at same / close to time as USA on TV , I'll be very close to in USofA terms at Childrens Mercy , what will the clash do to attendances ?.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jul 3, 2019, 10:11 AM)

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 3, 2019, 3:11 PM

Post #29 of 34 (518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tuesday's game was played before an enthusiastic crowd, as Mexico upped its overall record against Haiti to 8-2-0.

Coming up tonight in the other semifinal in Nashville is a re-match of the 2017 Gold Cup title game between Jamaica and the United States.

Circa 64,000. Haiti do have a win and a draw in the other 2 recorded games played between the 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 MLS games at same / close to time as USA on TV , I'll be very close to in USofA terms at Childrens Mercy , what will the clash do to attendances ?.

I was going off the graphic shown by the station during last night's game between Haiti and Mexico. It said Mexico had a record of 7-2-0. For most viewers outside Canada and the United States, that means Mexico have won 7 times and drawn twice. In the U.S. and Canada, it usually means Mexico have won 7 times and lost twice. The problem I run into here is that sometimes a broadcaster will use the "Win-Draw-Loss" model like most of the rest of the world, while others go with the "Win-Loss-Draw" model that's more customary here. It can be quite confusing, so it's likely I misread what the record actually was, as it was shown on the screen.

Given the way the calendar worked out this year, there isn't much CONCACAF or MLS could have done to avoid potential scheduling conflicts. July 1 (Canada Day) and July 4 (U.S. Independence Day) are the major summer holidays here, so it's attractive to have sporting events scheduled on those dates or the night before. I think the Gold Cup could have shown both semi-finals on the 2nd, with the game in Nashville being played at 6 p.m. followed by the other semi-final in Glendale, Arizona at 8:30 p.m. As it is, MLS will have 5 games going on the same time the Jamaica-USA semi-final is being contested. Normally, the U.S. men's national team draws well in southern venues, so it will be interesting to see if it will be impacted. The game in Arizona last night was very loud, and while I haven't seen official attendance figures, it seemed likely that Mexico-Haiti drew better than 55,000 (stadium holds about 64k). During the quarterfinals over the weekend, the Houston games (where Mexico played) drew about 70,000 fans. The Philadelphia site (where USA played) drew about 27,000.

My pet peeve about MLS this time of year is that it generally does not show games around the 1st or 4th of July, unless those dates fall on a Saturday or Sunday. And that is the case again this year. To watch any game around the holiday, you'd have to go with a streaming service off your computer, and for fans like me, that's not an option. Also, the 3 Canadian teams had no home games scheduled on either June 30 or July 1. Like MLS teams in the U.S., games played on the night before or the night of these major holidays fireworks displays after the matches help draw in more fans. Why Canada got no such games scheduled this year is mystifying to me.

dottirofhod

Jul 3, 2019, 4:27 PM

Post #30 of 34 (500 views)
Shortcut

Not sure you've read me correctly , 2 games are missing from the 8-2-0.
Should read 8-3-1.
https://www.11v11.com/...s/opposition/Mexico/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's always Pittsburgh tomorrow , depending on your feelings towards the opposition, my 2 colleagues will be attending. I am in the same car.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 4, 2019, 2:39 PM

Post #31 of 34 (410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not sure you've read me correctly , 2 games are missing from the 8-2-0.
Should read 8-3-1.
https://www.11v11.com/...s/opposition/Mexico/

No, I didn't misread what you posted. The information I had was apparently incorrect. I went off a graphic shown by the network that broadcast the game. Thanks for the link though. I'd never seen the 11v11 website. Years ago, the FIFA website had a tool to compare head-to-head meetings with national teams, but it's either been discontinued or it's more difficult to track down than it used to be.

In the second Gold Cup semifinal Wednesday night, USA knocked off Jamaica, 3-1. The victory atoned for a 1-0 loss the Americans took against Jamaica in a friendly prior to the Gold Cup. Weston McKennie scored on a header in the second straight game to stake USA to the early lead in the 9th minute. 8 minutes later, both teams were chased to the locker rooms due to severe weather in the area. The weather delay lasted about 90 minutes. The rest of the first half played out with neither team finding the back of the net. USA increased the margin to 2-0 in the 52nd minute, thanks to Christian Pulisic, who got the rebound on a saved shot and knocked the ball past Andre Blake. In the 69th minute, Jamaica got back into the match with a goal from Shamar Nicholson. The Jamaica goal was the first one surrendered by the U.S. in the tournament. USA put the game away in the 87th minute, as Pulisic collected his second goal of the night to close out the scoring. Both teams were credited with 16 shots on the night, with USA putting 9 on target, while Jamaica had 4 shots on frame.

The game started at 8:30 local time, but with the weather delay the finish was pushed to around midnight. Credit to the crowd for sticking around to the end. I haven't seen an attendance figure on the game from Nashville, and I'm not good at guessing unless the camera shots are inclusive for the entire stadium, but I'd venture to say there were about 35,000 on hand, perhaps 40,000 tops.

So, it's off to the title game in Chicago Sunday for the anticipated Mexico vs. USA match. El Tri have won 7 of the 14 Gold Cup titles; USA have grabbed the trophy 6 times. It's the first time both sides have met in the final since 2011, when Mexico topped USA 4-2 at the Rose Bowl. For Jamaica, Wednesday's loss stopped the team's attempt to reach its 3rd consecutive Gold Cup title match.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's always Pittsburgh tomorrow , depending on your feelings towards the opposition, my 2 colleagues will be attending. I am in the same car.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 4, 2019, 9:24 PM

Post #32 of 34 (383 views)
Shortcut

Attendance for the USA-Jamaica game in Nashville was just over 28,000. In 2017 when USA played Panama in the same stadium during the Gold Cup, the attendance was better than 47,000. The fallout from USA's failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup is still being felt. Sunday's final in Chicago is a sellout. Mexico should have better than 60% support. Unimpressed

dottirofhod

Jul 5, 2019, 12:57 AM

Post #33 of 34 (346 views)
Shortcut

The weather delay lasted about 90 minutes.

==================================================

Had a 90 delay at Med City on Sunday.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 8, 2019, 11:47 AM

Post #34 of 34 (224 views)
Shortcut

The 2019 Gold Cup is in the books. Mexico defeated the United States, 1-0 in the Chicago Sunday night. The only goal came off the foot of Jonathan Dos Santos in the 73rd minute from the top of the 18-yard box. Raul Jiminez provided the assist as Mexico collected its 8th Gold Cup trophy.

The match began brightly for USA who had a majority of the ball for the first 25-30 minutes. They missed a couple of half-chances in the first half, with the best one coming from Jozy Altidore in the 8th minute. Jordan Morris had his header attempt in the 55th minute cleared off the line by Mexico. Other than that, USA's attack turned out to be rather docile. For its part, Mexico looked more fluid and lively in the second half, and the U.S. players started to tire after expending so much energy in the first part of the game. Despite having so much of the run of play, aside from the goal, Mexico's threats on the U.S. goal were minimal.

On the night, Mexico enjoyed 57% possession and outshot the U.S. 20-11. USA only put 3 shots on target while Mexico had 5 on frame. Naturally, the U.S. soccer message boards are awash with comments about how terrible the team is and how poor the new coach is (Gregg Berhalter). There were also numerous complaints about the officiating. No cards were issued and many fans thought some players deserved at least yellow cautions for rough play. In other words, it was a typical Mexico-USA soccer match! For the game, USA got whistled for 17 fouls compared to 10 for Mexico.

The tournament overall was good. Canada showed some progress. Haiti was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Curacao's upset of Honduras was the surprise result of this year's Gold Cup. Bermuda and Guyana did not shame themselves in their Gold Cup debuts. Bermuda was a fun team to watch, and with a break here or there, could have stunned the field by making the quarterfinals. Cuba was probably the biggest disappointment in the tournament. Soccer isn't one of the island's top sports, but the players are usually better than what they showed this year; 0-3 in the group stage and outscored 17-0? So, it's back to normal with domestic play continuing in MLS which is past the half-way point of the season.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3