Apr 9, 2019, 7:52 AM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #51 of 59 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League One
Rochdale 1-2 Sunderland
Admission 22, Programmes ?, Att: 6,548

Did see a few supporters with programmes, but didn't see any on sale.

Pre match refreshments were taken in the Cask and Feather, around a 7-8 minute walk from the station, then a further 35 minute or so walk to the ground.
The ground will be familiar to many, I'd been here twice previously for rugby league but this was my first visit for football.
Sunderland supporters were housed in the Wilbutts Lane Stand, and a section behind one of the goals. The stand was perfectly comfortable for watching the game, but very cramped indeed at concourse level when entering the ground, and at half time.

Sunderland dominated possession and territory, but it was Rochdale who took the lead, Henderson scoring from close range on 28 minutes. With relegation a real threat for the home side, they promptly began time wasting, even though there was still an hour to play.
Two second half goals gave Sunderland victory - a Wyke shot on the turn on 55, and Honeyman from close range on 89. Eight minutes of stoppage time led to some anxious moments, but there were no more goals.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Apr 9, 2019, 5:34 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #52 of 59 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

11:00 KO

U18 Professional Development League

Leeds United Traing Ground, Thorpe Arch

Leeds United U18s 6(5) Colchester United 0(0)

White Shirts & Shorts Green Shirts & Shorts

Attendance 75 (H/C)

Admission Free No Programmes Team Sheet Free

Bacon Sandwich 2 Tea 1

I arrived at Thorpe Arch early and the man with the clipboard on the gate directed me back to Walton Road and the car park outside HMP Wealstun. Having parked up and returned to the entrance gate the man with clipboard came up trumps with a team sheet. He said they were only for scouts but explained he had one spare and said I could have it if I didn't go waving it around. No problems with admission unlike at some youth fixtures. A van in the car park inside the complex was selling food and drinks at very reasonable prices. The game was on the first pitch just inside the complex. The Pitch was railed down the two touchlines. On the dugout side there was a very smali covered area presumably for the scouts when the weather is inclement. Going into the game Leeds were top of the Northern Division and Colchester bottom of the Southern Division. By half time Leeds led 5-0 after goals from Casey (2'), Jenkins (7'), an own goal (14'), Jenkins again (41') and Kenneh (44'). The visitors improved after the break but Kumwenda made it six in the 70th minute.

A half an hour twenty mile drive after the first game ended I arrived in Carlton.

14:30 KO

West Yorkshire League Premier Division

Carlton Cricket Club

Carlton Athletic 2(0) Leeds City 1(0)

Light Blue & White Striped Shirts / Black Shorts Navy Blue Shirts / White Shorts

Attendance 70

Admission Free No Programmes or Team Sheets

Tea 1

With very limited parking at the ground and road works directly outside I parked up a few hunderd yards south of the ground in a car park next to The Rhubarb Triangle Farm Shop. As I was there I popped in and purchased a superb hot roast beef sandwich with onion gravy and a couple of pork pies for later. The football ground sits between the farm shop field with chckens and llamas (!) and Carlton Cricket Club. The Cricket Club bar was open but I opted for a tea from the small tea bar next to the changing rooms. The sloping pitch was almost fully railed (odd railings were missing here and there). There were no stands but there were two dugouts on the farm shop side. The bottom end of the ground is bordered by fields. This game saw top of the table Athletic take on third placed City. City shaded the first half but it was nil-nil at the break. Immediately after the restart City took the lead when Rinor Ejupi hooked in from close range. Athletic levelled in the 75th minute when centre back Joseph O'Neil headed in at the back post from a left side corner. Then in the 85th minute centre forward Liam Moore scored an almost identical back post header only this time from a corner on the right to ensure Athletic took all three points.

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 11, 2019, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #53 of 59 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Southern Combination League

Chichester City 2 Langney Sports 0

admission 6-00 programme 1-00 attendance est 160
1st v 15th

No changes at Oaklands Park (currently the Countryside Gas Stadium) since my last visit - one seated stand and one other smaller stand on the far side, a stand on the other side near to the fairly impressive pavilion. I thought ref A.Harris was excellent - clear, decisive and willing to explain things to players.
I think Chi will do OK in the Isthmian next season - defence looked pretty solid today, and Young should IMO still be playing a couple of levels higher. Coming forward they've got some decent players, some who have been at the club a while, which is good to see. Wingers look lively and another ex-H+W player Jones still looks like a decent striker. They've made solid progress for the last couple of years, so success is deserved.

+2 for here agree - with most of - the above

Attendance : official 136

Directions: headed cross-country via Hook to A3 via Alton/Selborne B3006 then off SE on the B roads 2146 and 2141 through the Hartings and Mardens down onto the A286 and into the Town alongside Oaklands Park

Facilities: large municipal Car Park (Northgate) - take care to enter at the first or second entrances other you'll miss the ground and have to loop back round the elongated roundabout to get on a 2nd pass. Tongue
No signs for the Football as such but head towards the 'dome' (indoor tennis?) - looks as if the original developer had property in the Balearics, as this inner road is called Cala Torret Way

Ground is tucked behind the Racquets and Fitness Club - sounds of Motor Racing at Goodwood during the first half.

Hot Food bar and newish build clubhouse bar integral in new building - no draught - Cans or Bottles.

Match: one fundamental difference from HL's report - on this showing, I actually thought Chichester had precious little about them, other than a big lad up front. They had some fairly basic understanding of working without the ball - evidently more than enough for this league; which I'm still of the (purely personal) opinion that this is one of the weaker one's at STEP05/06.

(Probably based upon how many ex-Ryman clubs there are around that have rarely stayed up higher for any prolonged period - approx. half-a-doz - more if you count Crowborough. I think the former Eastbourne Utd stayed up for the longest continuous spell - approx. 10 yrs in the late 70's)

Thought LW battled away but had even less going forward than their hosts.

Return journey stayed on the A286 bearing west south of Haslemere to track across via Hindhead to Frensham and up into Farnham - onward via Fleet , Hartley W and Riseley to the A33.

had a pit-stop in the The Mill at Shottermill - had half a Wadworth Horizon Golden Ale - indoors by 19:00.

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2019, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #54 of 59 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

White Ensign 2-3 Halstead Town (Eastern Counties League, Division 1 South)
- played at Basildon Sports Village, Cranes Farm Road, Basildon

Att 60 (h/c); Entry 5 and Prog 1 .. drinks from vending or cafeteria out front of Sports Centre entrance
Weather cool, cloud low and some mizzle,
Travel South Western into Waterloo, tube to Stratford and C2C over to Basildon .. walk was longer than expected to ground.
Colours all red for our hosts .. all black with white stripes for the visitors

Well more a case of seeing a small pitch in a big athletics stadium .. before the powers that be decide on the future use at Step 6 .. but on the whole a very enjoyable afternoon .. Halstead Town looked good .. Ensign just that little bit behind but stuck at it and never gave up .. nearly nicking an equaliser late .. as goals for the visitors went in on 27 with header at back post to get things going .. an equaliser on 35 from right side into far net .. then Town popped one in just before half time .. extended lead on 58 with a shot hammered home at far post .. before an unfortunately incident with player sustaining a broken leg in a fifty-fifty tackle .. which after slight delay and ambulance arrival .. we got underway again, to see the hosts score with well taken goal .. they then threw everything at it but the visitors just held on to gain three valuable points for their quest in finishing high up the table.

Entrance to the ground was up the top end of Sports Village .. a really good set up for local community .. loved the swimming pool .. plenty of outside facilities and the stadium featuring a good main stand to view the game .. must admit the pitch length was not obvious but rules are rules I guess .. and with no problems connecting on to the trains, was back home down south just after 8.0pm .. very enjoyable.

Grounds = 618, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 76; New Grounds (19/20) = 62; Goals (19/20) = 337; Ave goals/game = 4.43; Last new ground = Hants FA at Winklebury, Basingstoke; Next = Thurs 17th Oct 2019

villan
First Team Star

Apr 12, 2019, 12:21 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #55 of 59 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at this fixture & watched game in good company of Shotten Brian.

Eastern Counties League South White Ensign 2-3 Halstead Town ATT Official 58 (my h/c 68)

Agree with h/h report, entertaining game with visitors just about deserving points. I thought hosts fully contributed to game & should be pleased with their 1st season at this level. Officials confirmed they are ground sharing at Gt. Wakering next season as Sports Village not willing to extend pitch. The main stand gives a good elevated view which overcame distance from pitch caused by running track. Rest of ground is flat standing. A good facility & swimming pool did look excellent with good spectator facilities. I enjoyed a few minutes pre match watching use of the climbing wall & wished I was 60 years younger & I would have had a go. M40/25 in good form both ways.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 21

Tim

Apr 12, 2019, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #56 of 59 (981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Charmouth 3 Forton Rangers Reserves 7 aet (Perry Street League: Tommy Tabberer Cup Semi Final) Att: 16 h/c f&n

Low on football content but absolutely fine entertainment. The visitors were 2 up in 2 minutes, conceded a minute later and were behind by the break. A second half strike forced the game into extra time, in which the Purple Pelicans were dominant wth a couple of goals in each period. Smashing.

The Robins play at Barr's Lane, north of the village, at a pleasant tree-lined recreation ground, with no football furniture other than benches all around the perimeter. I will definitely be coming here again...

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2019, 10:58 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #57 of 59 (681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford 3 v 3 Derby County FL Championship Admission Season Ticket Prog 3.50 Att 12225
An exciting game in front of Brentford's highest crowd of the season,that would have been better if 'Frank Lampards' Derby had tried to play a bit more football rather than fouling a lot, a better referee would have issued a couple of red cards to Derby, one for kicking Jenvier whilst he was on the ground in the first half and later in the second half both the referee and linesman missed a rather crude lunge on substitute Canos who managed to just about get out of the way and got himself a yellow card when he remonstrated with the Derby player, in the end 8 yellow cards were issued. As for the game Derby led three times and were pegged back three times by Brentford with both defences looking poor. At 3-2 to Derby, Brentford keeper Daniels made a fine save to keep Brentford in it before Benrahma scored the third equaliser. Ashley Cole was booked for diving in the second half and the Derby players surrounded the referee, which has now meant that the nice people at the FA have issued a misconduct charge to Derby, serves them right.

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2019, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #58 of 59 (577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern League Division Two Redcar Athletic 0 Billingham Town 2 Admission 2 (concession) programme 1 Raffle ticket 1 Pie and Peas 2 Tea 1

Redcar Athletic, formerly Teesside Athletic, first season in the Northern League has gone really well for them as they were in 6th place going into this their last home game of the season, but when they came up against the league leaders in this match the gap in class was obvious. A second minute goal for the visitors was probably the worst thing that could have happened in terms of a decent match but that was what we got and as a result BT cruised their way through the rest of the game with their hugely impressive central defenders blotting out any threat from Redcar. The ground which is opposite the local rugby union club is very close to the sea and we were beset by a sea fret which helped to reduce the temperature considerably. Entrance is by the modern clubhouse (opened by Gareth Southgate in 2006) at a pay box where teamsheets were freely available. A marquee had been set up on the grass at the front of the clubhouse. On the right as you come in is a small covered stand which had a few plastic seats in it. Just beyond this is a standard Atcost style stand with the requisite 50 seats.There is hard standing on the whole of this side and also behind the goal at the sea end. The far end and the far end of the opposite half are out of bounds at present as there is no hard standing there. There are three floodlight pylons on either side of the pitch.As previously mentioned the game was a slight disappointment but it was good to see an almost total absence of dissent. Thanks to Warwickian for accompanying me on what was an excellent day out.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

(This post was edited by totallyuntamed on Apr 15, 2019, 7:06 PM)

Chris1963

Sep 20, 2019, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #59 of 59 (251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 6th April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Kent County Premier
Staplehurst Monarchs United 3-0 Hawkinge Town
Around 50 in attendance
No admission or programme

I posted on here recently that the club had tweeted they'd be issuing a programme for all their remaining home games this season. Well, today they didn't! Not a problem - seems to be just a handful of volunteers running the show here and I think they'd been preoccupied with passing the inspection, though presumably today's programme does exist on someone's laptop as they were happy enough to take names and addresses of a couple of hoppers present to send one on to them. Meanwhile, a handful of old issues were spotted on a shelf in the small tea bar, though I satisfied myself with a coffee

Also at this one, mainly because I couldn't find anything else that appealed to me. I wasn't even aware of any other hoppers being present and didn't see names and addresses being taken but I contacted the club later (thanks in part to your post) and they duly e-mailed me a copy of the programme for this match. It wasn't compatible with my work computer but I did later manage to print it off in colour at a library at considerable expense.

The village is quite nice with some very old buildings, but only one supermarket. I travelled by train but there is also a bus service from Maidstone so I might have been able to travel free there and back from London had I been happy to get back home very late.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Sep 20, 2019, 3:58 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3