First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kivo
First Team Regular

Mar 21, 2019, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 65 (13875 views)
Shortcut
Wakefield FC Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not seen a topic on this - Wakefield FC are to be re-formed for the 2019/20 season and seem to be headed to the Central Midlands League.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 21, 2019, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #2 of 65 (13795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the FA dealing with step 7 constitutions. I’m sure they can’t be allowed straight into the CMLN, because they are outside that league’s footprint & will be placed into the CML1N. If they’re promoted up to step 7, then the FA will just move them to Either the SCL or WYL.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 21, 2019, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 65 (13794 views)
Shortcut

More here: https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/...tball-club-1-9665065

Consortium including Chris Turner who "realise there’s a huge demand for a professional club in Wakefield" - hmm.

Aiming to play at Pontefract before moving into Belle Vue.

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 21, 2019, 11:52 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #4 of 65 (13243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
With the FA dealing with step 7 constitutions. I’m sure they can’t be allowed straight into the CMLN, because they are outside that league’s footprint & will be placed into the CML1N. If they’re promoted up to step 7, then the FA will just move them to Either the SCL or WYL.

Maybe they can start in the CMLN because there’s space for them.
If both the WYL and the S&H leagues relegate 2 and promote 3 they’ll be at the maximum 16 each next season.
That’s assuming no relegation from Step 6 and Ilkley promoted from the WYL.

windydcfc

Mar 22, 2019, 5:13 AM

Post #5 of 65 (13089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Maybe they can start in the CMLN because there’s space for them.
If both the WYL and the S&H leagues relegate 2 and promote 3 they’ll be at the maximum 16 each next season.
That’s assuming no relegation from Step 6 and Ilkley promoted from the WYL.

With the FALC in control of step 7 & moved teams against their wishes last season. Why would they allow a team that would have to travel past almost every Sheffield County League side to play their away games? Plus the fact that the FALC has to take into account 2 teams potentially relegated from the NCEL1 into the CMLN(Bolsover & Harworth). Retford look the most likely to be promoted from that league. Then there’s the issue of promotion from the CML1N & the top two are Crowle Colts & Sutton Rovers. Because of the link with the rest of the CML, there’s always a chance that the teams in the CML1S could be promoted into the CMLN & in with a chance of promotion is Bakewell Town. Finally the Notts Senior League is running 2 clubs too many & could the FALC move a team like Southwell City across. So Wakefield FC & the CML might think they can just apply & join that league because that’s how it used to work. But I just can’t somehow see it happening.

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Mar 22, 2019, 5:35 AM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2019, 7:57 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #6 of 65 (12888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Consortium including Chris Turner who "realise there’s a huge demand for a professional club in Wakefield" - hmm.

There isn't. Really, there isn't. I'll be amazed if this venture is any more successful than the last attempt, by Wakefield-Emley/Wakefield FC.

THDrummer1
Junior Team Star

Mar 22, 2019, 8:00 AM

Post #7 of 65 (12870 views)
Shortcut

I wonder why they think that they will attract a sustainable number of supporters/sponsors.
I seem to remember that crowds were poor under their previous incarnation and that was in the Northern Premier League if I'm not mistaken.
Appears to be a vanity project to me; but we'll see how things go - good luck to them.

Alverthorponian
Ballboy/girl

Mar 22, 2019, 8:08 AM

Post #8 of 65 (12821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [THDrummer1] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There maybe a 'demand' for a professional side in Wakefield but, sadly, I don't think there is a demand for a side to get Wakefield AFC to that position.

I followed Wakefield FC but I can't see that a team initially playing in Pontefract will build up a fan base to enable it to continue to a pro level...……..but good luck to and I hope I am wrong!

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2019, 8:35 AM

Post #9 of 65 (12744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alverthorponian] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There maybe a 'demand' for a professional side in Wakefield but, sadly, I don't think there is a demand for a side to get Wakefield AFC to that position.

I followed Wakefield FC but I can't see that a team initially playing in Pontefract will build up a fan base to enable it to continue to a pro level...……..but good luck to and I hope I am wrong!

I lived near Wakefield - in Horbury - for 12 months, and was a little surprised to discover there is a strong level of interest in football. For a start-up football club, however, the big problem is entrenched loyalties. Depending where in the Wakefield area football followers live, they tend to support Leeds United, Huddersfield Town or Barnsley. I'd suggest there would be more enthusiasm for Leeds United reserves returning to play at a revamped Belle Vue than any non-league team with 'Wakefield' in their name.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 22, 2019, 8:36 AM)

genesimmons
Youth Team Star

Mar 22, 2019, 12:41 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #10 of 65 (12255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

a case of here we go again. I too remember the previous incarnation of wakefield fc who played at the rugby club i think. Im not sure if the fan base was poor due to the city been big on rugby league or the fact they had taken over another club (emley) and shipped them to wakefield causing a bit of bad feeling. Its a big enough struggle for a new non league team attracting new fans but will be even worse if these play out of town. why not wait for a ground in wakefield and then form the team. is this another shaw lane or afc blyth, only time will tell. Anyway i thought wakefield already had a team, hemsworth

You wanted the best, you got the best

(This post was edited by genesimmons on Mar 22, 2019, 12:45 PM)

Sarumio

Mar 22, 2019, 2:14 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #11 of 65 (11994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well firstly Hemsworth is not part of Wakefield – it is a separate town.

Anyway, what happened to Wakefield City, who pulled out of the West Riding County Amateur League (Step 7) prior to this season.

In the article, they go on about a 9 year wait for Wakefield to have its own team again – but…er…it’s had one for all 9 of those years in Wakefield City – why did no one get behind this club, stop them folding and develop this existing club?

For that reason, I am suspicious.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2019, 2:21 PM

Post #12 of 65 (11951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Four miles from Wakefield, newly formed merger club Ossett United are in a NPL play-off place and averaging over 460 at home, including one gate of 638.

One wonders if their success is seen as a potential yardstick.

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Mar 22, 2019, 2:54 PM)

THDrummer1
Junior Team Star

Mar 22, 2019, 2:22 PM

Post #13 of 65 (11950 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well firstly Hemsworth is not part of Wakefield – it is a separate town.

Anyway, what happened to Wakefield City, who pulled out of the West Riding County Amateur League (Step 7) prior to this season.

In the article, they go on about a 9 year wait for Wakefield to have its own team again – but…er…it’s had one for all 9 of those years in Wakefield City – why did no one get behind this club, stop them folding and develop this existing club?

For that reason, I am suspicious.
_____

My thoughts exactly.
Additionally; it's probably 4 to 5 years since Wakefield FC folded, from what I remember they had a good few years of struggle - why not get behind this club and stop them folding.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2019, 4:15 PM

Post #14 of 65 (11656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
a case of here we go again. I too remember the previous incarnation of wakefield fc who played at the rugby club i think. Im not sure if the fan base was poor due to the city been big on rugby league or the fact they had taken over another club (emley) and shipped them to wakefield causing a bit of bad feeling. Its a big enough struggle for a new non league team attracting new fans but will be even worse if these play out of town. why not wait for a ground in wakefield and then form the team. is this another shaw lane or afc blyth, only time will tell. Anyway i thought wakefield already had a team, hemsworth

Partly because Wakefield and its hinterland is a rugby league heartland. And partly because, in football terms, Leeds United, Huddersfield Town and Barnsley are of more interest to Wakefield's sporting public than a non-league 'Wakefield' club. Incidentally, Emley weren't taken over and shipped out of their home village. They opted to move (to Belle Vue) because the three-sided Welfare Ground would never be good enough for anything better than Northern Premier League football. Nobody in Wakefield had any interest in supporting Wakefield-Emley or, once they renamed themselves, Wakefield FC. As their attendances indicated. Hell's bells, Wakefield FC somehow managed to attract even lower crowds to College Grove than the spectacularly unloved (and now defunct) Wakefield RUFC! Hemsworth is an irrelevance. It has about as much to do with Wakefield as Ossett.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 22, 2019, 4:18 PM)

bigjmc
Youth Team Sub

Mar 23, 2019, 8:34 AM

Post #15 of 65 (10925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ex-Ossett Town, Guiseley and Scarborough manager Steve Kittrick was on the board at Wakefield Wildcats a few years ago so the new club could have a potential manager?

noprogs
First Team Star

Mar 23, 2019, 10:48 AM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 65 (10694 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Historically, Wakefield City were the football arm of the City Council Sports & Social Club, but other than it being the same building, that connection is long gone.

They had a chequered history of attendance in the County Amateur, and were very much out on a limb geographically,, with all the reamining teams either being in the Bradford or Spen areas.
A similar lack of any local interest, and travelling involved to the Central Midlands League hardly bodes well, be it at Pontrefract, Belle Vue, or Sandal

(This post was edited by noprogs on Mar 23, 2019, 10:49 AM)

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 24, 2019, 1:46 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #17 of 65 (10096 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
More here: https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/...tball-club-1-9665065

Aiming to play at Pontefract before moving into Belle Vue.

But like Milton Keynes no interest in getting one there the hard way. Interest only piqued when a league club was parachuted into the area.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

JohnD
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 25, 2019, 10:39 AM

Team(s): Frickley

Post #18 of 65 (9431 views)
Shortcut

I thought Russ Green and Chris Turner were banned from any involvement in football due to breaching agency regulations, hence why he left Rochdale?
I'm sure this venture is absolutely nothing to do with needing to tick boxes on conditions of funding for the proposed new stadium in Wakefield and more likely the housing and hotel development associated with it..... Mike Hegarty was phoning round Evo stik clubs a couple of years ago trying to get them to move to Wakefield so funding could get accessed immediately rather than starting a team from scratch.

THDrummer1
Junior Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 11:32 AM

Post #19 of 65 (9337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnD] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I thought Russ Green and Chris Turner were banned from any involvement in football due to breaching agency regulations, hence why he left Rochdale?
I'm sure this venture is absolutely nothing to do with needing to tick boxes on conditions of funding for the proposed new stadium in Wakefield and more likely the housing and hotel development associated with it..... Mike Hegarty was phoning round Evo stik clubs a couple of years ago trying to get them to move to Wakefield so funding could get accessed immediately rather than starting a team from scratch.

I reckon that you've hit the nail on the head.

I love Chris Turner's LinkedIn bio re his managerial time at Sheffield Wednesday - I built a team that won promotion to the Championship - if I remember correctly he left the club 18 months prior to it winning promotion, Paul Sturrock won promotion.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jul 10, 2019, 6:42 PM

Post #20 of 65 (8362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [THDrummer1] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anything new on Wakefield?

KickerCnspiracy
Junior Team Star

Jul 10, 2019, 9:51 PM

Team(s): Burnley; East Stirlingshire

Post #21 of 65 (8127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, they are starting off this year in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League, playing out of the Dorothy Hyman Sports Centre in Cudworth.

Their first ever game is a friendly against East Stirlingshire there this Saturday at 1pm.

WTFCsecretary
Junior Team Sub

Jul 11, 2019, 1:27 PM

Team(s): Wombwell Town

Post #22 of 65 (7642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KickerCnspiracy] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wakefield are charging people £5 for this friendly on Saturday. Frickley are playing the same side, East Stirlingshire, on Friday night for... £5 entry. So I'm guessing it'll just be kids at the game in Cudworth? Crazy

Do County Senior Prem teams often charge entry?

(This post was edited by WTFCsecretary on Jul 11, 2019, 1:31 PM)

ladderman

Jul 11, 2019, 2:41 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #23 of 65 (7533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WTFCsecretary] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's hard to imagine a club the size of East Sterlingshire would bring two full teams on tour. I imagine it'll be the first team squad and a few kids/triallists

windydcfc

Jul 11, 2019, 2:54 PM

Post #24 of 65 (7517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I’m sure I read somewhere that East Stirlingshire were knocking their Reserves on the head for the forthcoming season. So it must be as you say.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 11, 2019, 3:01 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #25 of 65 (7501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WTFCsecretary] Wakefield FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ES haven't even listed the game at Wakefield. Entrance for Frickley is also £5 (£3 concessions)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3