Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Mar 19, 2019, 2:21 PM

Post #1 of 21 (2891 views)
Shortcut
Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused Can't Post or Reply Privately

Watford FC have announced that from Spring 2020 season ticket holders may be refused a renewal if their attendance is not satisfactorily. Whilst WFC are the first club to announce this, I'm sure other clubs will see that it is possible to do and follow their lead.

Details extracted below or in link.

‘No-Shows’
Having made mention of the matter of Season Ticket holders not coming to home fixtures in recent years’ Terms & Conditions, analysis of attendance data from recent years has helped us reach the position where we will – from Season Ticket renewals in Spring 2020 – reserve the right to refuse renewals to those supporters who most regularly don’t attend AND don’t advise us of their non-attendance.

https://www.watfordfc.com/...enewal-info-timeline

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 19, 2019, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 21 (2789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As you say it is probably inevitable that other clubs will follow suit. As the proportion of clubs' incomes accounted for by TV money increases the spectators in the ground become ever more a part of the offering. Clubs may need to reduce the cost of entry to ensure full stadia, or stop charging altogether. The value of a full stand is probably more than sufficient to offer an incentive for 'fans' to attend.

windydcfc

Mar 19, 2019, 5:32 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #3 of 21 (2765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some people work shifts or even offshore for weeks on end. Are they to miss out on watching their football club, just because of their circumstancesCrazy

007Dale
First Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 5:38 PM

Post #4 of 21 (2757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Some people work shifts or even offshore for weeks on end. Are they to miss out on watching their football club, just because of their circumstancesCrazy

Well they do say ‘and don’t inform us’ so presumably you’re Ok so long as you let the club know you’re not coming

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 19, 2019, 5:41 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 21 (2757 views)
Shortcut

Something similar has been talked about previously, might have been Man U or Arsenal. Don't know if they ever implemented it, mind. Think the concern for the club is the non-notification more than the non-attendance, which deprives another supporter a seat and, of course, denies the club a resale.

windydcfc

Mar 19, 2019, 6:36 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #6 of 21 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Something similar has been talked about previously, might have been Man U or Arsenal. Don't know if they ever implemented it, mind. Think the concern for the club is the non-notification more than the non-attendance, which deprives another supporter a seat and, of course, denies the club a resale.

But if you are a season ticket holder it’s your seat

kirby knitters

Mar 19, 2019, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #7 of 21 (2683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

--------------------------------

It was Arsenal who threatened something similar during the Wenger out protests with banks of empty seating a regular site at night games . Club still declared a sell out crowd but that is another story which has been well documented.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 19, 2019, 11:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 21 (2586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well they do say ‘and don’t inform us’ so presumably you’re Ok so long as you let the club know you’re not coming

I hope the club has a simple and convenient way for non-attenders to do this. I have some sympathy for season ticket holders - games that start off as 3pm on Saturday can, from next season, take place at 7.45 on Friday, 12.30, 3, 5.30 or 7.45 on Saturday, 12, 1.30, 2, 4 or 4.30 on Sunday, or 8pm on Monday.

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 3:40 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #9 of 21 (2519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I suppose part of the problem at Premier League level is that you could have wealthy individuals who aren't really supporters of the club but obtain season tickets just to attend certain games involving a club or clubs that they do support.

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Mar 20, 2019, 11:27 AM

Post #10 of 21 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I suppose part of the problem at Premier League level is that you could have wealthy individuals who aren't really supporters of the club but obtain season tickets just to attend certain games involving a club or clubs that they do support.

That is who I think this is aimed at. WFC have said that they have already started collating data from this season. They will know the fans they are targeting already. They do have a resale platform for fans that genuinely can't make the occasional match.

Something that I have seen happen in the past (mostly at Wembley when fans want to ensure their friends get their caps) is for someone to use their friends ticket, turn the turnstile empty, then scan their own ticket and go through. Not in the spirit of loyalty caps, but every system has its flaws.

dottirofhod

Mar 20, 2019, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #11 of 21 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Whilst Wigan were in the top flight a friend of mine, a Man Utd supporter had a season ticket for them., he obviously used it for Man U game and had no difficulty in finding supporters of other teams to use it at other games.
Seem to remember the cost at the time was similar to an Alex season ticket. Very cheap for Premier League.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 20, 2019, 12:53 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #12 of 21 (2357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I worked at Nato HQ Northwood the sports department had season tickets for both Arsenal and Spurs that could be booked out for a nominal fee.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 21, 2019, 12:43 PM

Post #13 of 21 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I watched Malaga v Granada a few years ago. We met an expat/immigrant (delete as appropriate) from Blackburn who purchased a season ticket for around €2-300 primarily to watch games against Barcelona and Real Madrid. He said this was common practice among Malaga's huge expat/immigrant British community.

paulh66

Mar 21, 2019, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #14 of 21 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Think it's fair enough with clubs like Malaga who rarely sell out. More of an issue with clubs whose demand for tickets regularly exceeds supply (so most PL clubs) but regularly have empty seats because season ticket holders don't show up, thus depriving some fans of a chance to see their club. That's the logic behind the notification and resale schemes some clubs have and, assuming this is made clear in the season ticket terms and conditions, I think they're right to do what they can to persuade season ticket holders to adhere to it if they're repeatedly ignoring it.

007Dale
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2019, 2:21 PM

Post #15 of 21 (2056 views)
Shortcut

I also think the Premier League should insist the attendance figures reported are those actually in attendance, not tickets sold.

This would highlight the problem and shame Club’s into doing something about it...i’m Looking a Arsenal...

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 24, 2019, 11:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #16 of 21 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It was Arsenal who threatened something similar during the Wenger out protests with banks of empty seating a regular site at night games . Club still declared a sell out crowd but that is another story which has been well documented.

IIRC Manchester United fined season ticket holders for non attendance a few years ago not just for Premier League games but for not buying tickets for cup matches as well. It caused outcry at the time, don't know if they have continued with the practice. Didn't they also ban them from their next home game if they didn't attend the previous one?

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Mar 24, 2019, 11:48 PM)

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #17 of 21 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

IIRC Manchester United fined season ticket holders for non attendance a few years ago not just for Premier League games but for not buying tickets for cup matches as well. It caused outcry at the time, don't know if they have continued with the practice. Didn't they also ban them from their next home game if they didn't attend the previous one?

Man Utd have automatic subscription for season ticket holders for Champions League and FA Cup games - essentially they're forced to buy a ticket for those games, with their season ticket blocked for the next league game if they fail to do so. The outcry in the past was because the League Cup was also compulsory, but that is now optional.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Jul 3, 2019, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #18 of 21 (917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm glad the club are doing this. There are too many empty seats when the game is 'sold out' and we have over 3,000 people waiting for a season ticket.

Geofftheref
Ballboy/girl

Jul 9, 2019, 11:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 21 (540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a Watford season ticket holder I think this is a good thing but I remember when we played Tottenham last season I was stuck in traffic on the M1 going no where fast because of an accident involving the air ambulance and would have only got to the ground well into the second half. I would hate to think that circumstances like that would count as a black mark against me after all I did try to get there but obviously could not have informed the ticket office before hand. What I would point out though is that a Watford season ticket only covers league games not like other teams who include cup games. I was one of a few around were I sit that turned up for league cup games etc early in the season. Does that count as a no show probably not because they didn’t buy a ticket but I did show loyalty and surely that should be taken into the equation before they start refusing renewals.

Geoff

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Jul 10, 2019, 11:41 AM

Post #20 of 21 (481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geofftheref] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I suspect the club already know the people they will be targetting. One or two missed matches isn't going to be enough for them to not allow you to renew. Length of ST held, cup matches attended, type of home league matches you've missed, away matches attended will all be considerations.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Jul 12, 2019, 9:39 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #21 of 21 (325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geofftheref] Watford FC - Season Ticket renewal refused [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As a Watford season ticket holder I think this is a good thing but I remember when we played Tottenham last season I was stuck in traffic on the M1 going no where fast because of an accident involving the air ambulance and would have only got to the ground well into the second half. I would hate to think that circumstances like that would count as a black mark against me after all I did try to get there but obviously could not have informed the ticket office before hand. What I would point out though is that a Watford season ticket only covers league games not like other teams who include cup games. I was one of a few around were I sit that turned up for league cup games etc early in the season. Does that count as a no show probably not because they didn’t buy a ticket but I did show loyalty and surely that should be taken into the equation before they start refusing renewals.

Geoff

The odd game missed won't be noticed but those that only turn up for the 'big' games are the ones that will be targeted.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3