Charging For Online Programmes

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2019, 8:25 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #1 of 7 (870 views)
Shortcut
Charging For Online Programmes Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hereford have introduced an online programme in addition to their usual matchday offering. They are charging 2.99 for the download against 3 for the printed version. Does anyone else charge for an online programme? Also, in my mind they are rather taking the mick charging 2.99 when they have saved the cost of printing.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

BDA_85
Reserve Team Star

Mar 12, 2019, 12:38 PM

Post #2 of 7 (775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Charging For Online Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been thinking about this since I saw the tweet this morning (don't be jealous of my exciting lifestyle).
Not sure what they are trying to achieve by charging so much for an online version. Clubs are seemingly looking to move from print to online, Hereford's pricing strategy seems to be trying to achieve the opposite.
I trust you haven't had a formal response from the club?

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2019, 12:46 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #3 of 7 (766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Charging For Online Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, nothing from Hereford. Don't expect anything to be honest. Several people have suggested that the major cost is in the design and layout - which I can sort of get - although to suggest that the cost of printing is negligible is a bit suspect, especially with the prog being full colour on glossy paper. I'm sure they could justify maybe 1.50

As to my other question, I've had nobody mention any other club who charge for the online version.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 12, 2019, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #4 of 7 (740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Charging For Online Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As to my other question, I've had nobody mention any other club who charge for the online version.

Oxford United certainly do, you need to take out a season's subscription to access the online progs. I found out after searching around to see if I could find their away fans edition after visiting a few weeks ago.
I suspect that will be a standard way of doing it for EFL clubs eventually, reading between the lines of Peterbrough's fans survey recently, they're thinking of doing a similar thing.
Had a look at one of Oxford's friendly progs which was available for free - could only access it in some page turning app, so it was virtually unreadable even on a PC screen. There was no download to pdf facility that I could see.
No way I'm paying for that even if it's the only option at Posh next season.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 13, 2019, 9:35 AM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #5 of 7 (569 views)
Shortcut

I believe Weston Super Mare are online only, and charge 1.50 to view.

Football seen in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Italy Czech Republic, Ukraine, Gibraltar, Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, U.S.A., Canada, Portugal, and Slovakia.

Divisions completed: Combined Counties Division 1, Hellenic League Division 1 East, Welsh Premier League, Welsh League Division 1, Welsh Alliance Premier Division, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

Steelback
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2019, 1:47 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #6 of 7 (506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Charging For Online Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

so they charge to view something online thus reducing the likelihood even further of people reading about their club and their advertisers Crazy
Wonder if they told their advertisers this when pitching for business?
NL clubs really don't help themselves sometimes. Never mind, they can just continue moaning that they don't get enough of a handout from the professional leagues instead.

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

Riverside64
Junior Team Sub

Mar 13, 2019, 5:22 PM

Post #7 of 7 (433 views)
Shortcut

If you're selling a hard copy and an online version of the matchday programme then I don't see how you can realistically charge different prices. The customer is still getting the same artefact, they're just choosing to receive it digitally rather than a hard copy. I appreciate there's more profit to be had from an online sale but fees will still have to be paid - either a subscription to MatchDayInfo or a percentage of the programme price.

I think their approach is right and I suspect over time they'll get a much better indication of how they want to move forward. If online proves popular then they may look to reduce the cost though if they still decide to produce a printed version (albeit with fewer copies) then that will increase the cost per piece.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3