Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 11, 2019, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #26 of 38 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Without wishing to minimalise the events of yesterday I can't help but think back to a game I attended at Birmingham in 86 against Leeds when there was a 35 minute delay due to fans fighting on the pitch. The game has come a hell of a long way since those dark days so talk of empty rows of seating etc is well way off the mark.

It was 11th May 1985 (same day as the Bradford Fire). One 15 year old Birmingham fan died in the fighting.

Pretty sure I was at Leicester v Newcastle the day of the fire but was certainly at the Blues v Leeds game, the death occurred a fair time after the game had finished in a nearby playground. Still have the Argus of the day with headlines of ' Riot at Blues'
Edit.
City v Newcastle was day of Hillsborough.

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Mar 11, 2019, 8:48 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 11, 2019, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #27 of 38 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Splendid news that the miscreant has been sentenced to 14 weeks behind bars.

It's now time for the FA to get much tougher with clubs who allow this type of thuggery by not having adequate security and stewarding in place.

My solution would be an automatic 4 (four) point deduction for any league club, who allows an individual to encroach on the playing area. This would concentrate minds and eradicate this scourge from the game.

I agree that this swift sentencing is good news. Maximum embarrassment for the idiot, along with the fine, a ten-year ban from football, and BCFC's admirable swift decision to ban him from all their home and away fixtures for life. Apparently he had been a season ticket-holder for twenty years, so quite something for him to take in once he sobers up.

However, I'm personally not so sure about the idea of extra penalties being handed out to clubs themselves, as not all pitch invaders will be quite so easy to pigeon-hole as this one.

I was at Fratton Park in January 1998 on the day a Sheffield United fan got onto the pitch and punched a linesman unconscious...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/57236.stm

It was a very sickening event to witness (I was at that end of the ground), and the linesman still appeared unconscious when stretchered away after over five minutes of urgent treatment. Nobody in the ground had any idea how serious it might be, though fortunately the linesman recovered in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

That Sheffield United supporter - a pillock called John Michael Corker, 34 at the time - was apparently very drunk, he hadn't watched a Blades match in many years, being a butcher from Eastbourne he didn't even live in Sheffield, he was at the match by himself, he was (and apparently still is) generally unknown by the vast majority of United fans, and didn't come from a United family or background. I'm also going to hazard a guess that he ain't been to a Sheffield United match since. This is an example of circumstances where I reckon it'd be unfair to divide blame up upon either clubs or the rest of the fans at large - the blame had/has to lie with Corker. And the same with these latest incidents.

The Portsmouth stewards received much criticism in the national press in the aftermath, just as I suspect the Birmingham stewards will in this latest instance - I can still remember that twat David Mellor seeming to appoint himself judge and jury on the matter on that night's 606. But short of ringing the entire pitch with stewards, I really don't see how they can guarantee stopping some determined big young bloke from forcing their way onto the pitch at speed. The steward at Birmingham who chased this latest idiot onto the pitch was as quick off the mark as he possibly could be, yet seems to be criticised for not having been even quicker (admittedly, criticism not helped by the conduct of one of his colleagues later in the match). I realise that we could all list improvements that could be made to stewarding at football, but I sympathise with the stewards in situations like these.

The blame has to be put entirely upon the shoulders of he person(s) getting onto the pitch and committing these acts of violence.

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2019, 9:24 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #28 of 38 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

My solution would be an automatic 4 (four) point deduction for any league club, who allows an individual to encroach on the playing area. This would concentrate minds and eradicate this scourge from the game.

Only tough action has shown to be effective and for a second offence the club should be made to play its next two home games behind closed doors.

Draconian it may be but can you imagine the general outcry if an offender were carrying an offensive weapon and subsequently used it.

I agree that the authorities need to act fast and firmly to prevent this fad escalating and someone ending up seriously injured.

Unfortunately, I don't think an automatic four point deduction would work. You could envisage a circumstance where supporters of a rival club involved in a relegation/promotion/title challenge with a club hosting a game, could attend purely to encroach onto the field and bring about a points deduction for their rivals.

Personally, I'd go for punishments that meant games played behind closed doors. Supporters would get the message and TV companies would not want games played without "atmosphere" so would pressure clubs to have effective stewarding in place.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 11, 2019, 9:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #29 of 38 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some are calling for the ground to be shut, but surely it would be very unfair just because of one idiot. Thankfully the thought of a stint in prison might stop other morons doing likewise. But as was mentioned on MOTD last night, the general hatred in football does appear to be on the rise. I can relate to local rivalry and all that, but some of it just seems to be getting nastier, not as bad as the really bad days, just hope the powers that be can get to grips with it, easier said than done though.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 11, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #30 of 38 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some poster have mentioned points deduction, games behind closed doors, fining clubs but the government could just make sentencing harsher for anyone guilty of such offences. 14 weeks, with a possibility of early release, might deter many but unprovoked assault is a serious crime and should carry a much longer sentence.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 12, 2019, 9:43 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #31 of 38 (979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But short of ringing the entire pitch with stewards, I really don't see how they can guarantee stopping some determined big young bloke from forcing their way onto the pitch at speed. The steward at Birmingham who chased this latest idiot onto the pitch was as quick off the mark as he possibly could be, yet seems to be criticised for not having been even quicker (admittedly, criticism not helped by the conduct of one of his colleagues later in the match). I realise that we could all list improvements that could be made to stewarding at football, but I sympathise with the stewards in situations like these.

The blame has to be put entirely upon the shoulders of he person(s) getting onto the pitch and committing these acts of violence.

Agreed. There's a limit to what can be done, the world can never be a 100 percent safe place, nor can football be.
unpalatable though it is, this really isn't any different to the kind of thing that happens at pub closing time every weekend. Unless people are going to spend 3 years inside for it, rather than 3 months and a Government are going to fund sending plenty of people down until it changes thugs' behaviour, this kind of thing will occasionally happen.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2019, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #32 of 38 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I agree that this swift sentencing is good news. Maximum embarrassment for the idiot, along with the fine, a ten-year ban from football, and BCFC's admirable swift decision to ban him from all their home and away fixtures for life. Apparently he had been a season ticket-holder for twenty years, so quite something for him to take in once he sobers up.

I agree with all that. However - a couple of points. Firstly, his solicitor specifically told the court that he wasn't drunk (his client, not himself). Secondly, how are Birmingham City going to enforce a ban on him going to their away fixtures. That is not in their jurisdiction. There is no point announcing punishments that can't be enforced.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Mar 12, 2019, 11:12 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #33 of 38 (948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
If a lifetime ban and a criminal record doesn't deter these individuals then playing a match behind closed doors won't bother them in the slightest. I agree it could be used as a punishment but I doubt it'll be much of a deterrent, even if it did produce a degree of peer pressure. Especially if, in this day and age of YouTube, Twitter etc, the moron responsible fancies themself as a bit of a 'celebrity'.

As some sort of stunt/prank, three "YouTubers" invaded the pitch at the Europa League game between Tottenham and Partizan Belgrade in 2014.

They each got a 3 year banning order and 150 fine for their trouble. Tottenham were fined about 100 times that.

I went to that game, to tick off WHL... was worried it may have been abandoned when the referee took the players off.

ladderman

Mar 12, 2019, 12:28 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #34 of 38 (930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Most away ticket sales in the top two divisions are controlled by the visiting club, and (if anyone remembers in ten years) they could tell the home club of the ban. But in reality someone could buy him a ticket in March 2029 and he'd probably get in.

IAN S
First Team Star

Mar 12, 2019, 4:34 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #35 of 38 (848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The dickhead who ran on the pitch from the Leeds end at Hillsboro. and tried to hit Owls keeper is supposedly banned from all games but he still gets tickets and goes and apparently brags about it on social media.
Someone is obviously getting him tickets for away games, (don't think he gets in at Elland Road).
But, when you can buy tickets for this saturday's coming Yorkshire derby from many ticket sale sites for 200 who can police such things?

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Isaac

Mar 14, 2019, 6:40 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #36 of 38 (703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Some poster have mentioned points deduction, games behind closed doors, fining clubs but the government could just make sentencing harsher for anyone guilty of such offences. 14 weeks, with a possibility of early release, might deter many but unprovoked assault is a serious crime and should carry a much longer sentence.

I think the sentence is about right to be fair, just remarkable that he was in prison with 48 hours of the offence.

I can't see why the club should be punished, unless they were negligent in some way and that doesn't appear to be the case.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #37 of 38 (451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think the sentence is about right to be fair, just remarkable that he was in prison with 48 hours of the offence.

I can't see why the club should be punished, unless they were negligent in some way and that doesn't appear to be the case.

Remarkable that he was in prison within 48 hours of the offence and remarkable that he is now out having done just four weeks out of fourteen, also saying it was the best month of his life.!!

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Apr 16, 2019, 2:29 PM

Post #38 of 38 (419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Jack Grealish [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
he is now out having done just four weeks out of fourteen, also saying it was the best month of his life.!!

Family must be so proud.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/...hell-prison-16133966

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3