Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 28, 2019, 12:27 PM

Post #1 of 20 (3166 views)
Shortcut
Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been told on another forum (by someone who I trust and has been in contact with the FA) that the "maximum 25% reserve teams at Step 7" is an urban myth.

I thought this was still very much part of the regulations but I can't find it in the NLS regulations or the Standardised Rules.

Was this ever a written rule, and if so when was it dropped?

(I notice in the Wiltshire League AGM notes from last summer that the league was being told by the FA to reduce the number of reserve/development sides to 25%)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 28, 2019, 1:03 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 20 (3090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't know the answer but I can't see any such stipulation in the Standard Code of Rules either (Standardised Rules apply down to step 6, Standard Code of Rules apply from step 7).

Sarumio

Feb 28, 2019, 1:42 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #3 of 20 (2993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I've been told on another forum (by someone who I trust and has been in contact with the FA) that the "maximum 25% reserve teams at Step 7" is an urban myth.

I thought this was still very much part of the regulations but I can't find it in the NLS regulations or the Standardised Rules.

(I notice in the Wiltshire League AGM notes from last summer that the league was being told by the FA to reduce the number of reserve/development sides to 25%)

Saw that a while back too - re the notes of the Wilts AGM - might be a little difficult for them to achieve though any time soon as the three feeders will almost certainly produce no candidates. Maybe they'll try and tempt Mere Town and Tisbury United to their home county's league?

Lets hope it is a myth for the Wiltshire League's sake or they'll be in hot water this summer!

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 1, 2019, 9:28 AM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #4 of 20 (2479 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

It is probably one of those things that has been stated as the preferred amount by the FA at some point without it ever being set in stone.
I believe there are 40 plus step 7 divisions. Are there any with more than 25%?

Sarumio

Mar 1, 2019, 11:03 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #5 of 20 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It is probably one of those things that has been stated as the preferred amount by the FA at some point without it ever being set in stone.
I believe there are 40 plus step 7 divisions. Are there any with more than 25%?

Yes - just the one I believe - the aforementioned Wiltshire League. 7 of its 16 members are reserve sides - or 47%.

Rushcliffe
Junior Team Star

Mar 1, 2019, 11:31 AM

Post #6 of 20 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

the Lincolnshire county league has 5 reserve teams out of 12 members which I think is around 42% if my maths are correct

(This post was edited by Rushcliffe on Mar 1, 2019, 11:33 AM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Mar 1, 2019, 12:09 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #7 of 20 (2325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rushcliffe] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not officially at Step Seven but the Coventry Alliance does not allow Reserve sides in the Premier Division. Coventry Copsewood got round it by forming a separate club named Copsewood Coventry.

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Mar 1, 2019, 12:23 PM

Post #8 of 20 (2291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

if the powers that be flex their muscles further, then surely the result will be an increase in clubs such as Brackley Town Saints and Biggleswade FC.

dottirofhod

Mar 1, 2019, 12:32 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 20 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Most on here watch Reserve sides in the pyramid others don't but their quite happy to watch teams masquerading as First teams thanks to the FA.

Yes , your correct it would increase the pretend First teams.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 1, 2019, 1:03 PM

Post #10 of 20 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rushcliffe] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
the Lincolnshire county league has 5 reserve teams out of 12 members which I think is around 42% if my maths are correct

I count only four, out of twelve.

Rushcliffe
Junior Team Star

Mar 1, 2019, 1:25 PM

Post #11 of 20 (2206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARNOLD241] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I count only four, out of twelve.

Yes you are correct. I scanned the league and saw community next to Brigg and just counted as a reserves side Ie Basford united community in NSL.

Point still remains though as 4 from 12 is 33% which is still higher than 25% obviously

pitch 63
First Team Star

Mar 1, 2019, 8:15 PM

Post #12 of 20 (1917 views)
Shortcut

The Gloucestershire County League does not allow reserve XIs. This is now starting to cause a log jam below at Step 8 where Reserve XIs are starting to top tables.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 2, 2019, 12:19 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #13 of 20 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a reserve team in the Glos County two seasons ago. Have they change rules since?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

pitch 63
First Team Star

Mar 2, 2019, 4:59 AM

Post #14 of 20 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There was a reserve team in the Glos County two seasons ago. Have they change rules since?

When the league was privatised about ten years ago - it was run by the Gloucestershire FA prior to that - the new group running it introduced a rule stating that the league would not accept any new reserve XIs into it. The two existing reserve XIs, Bishops Cleeve and Yate Town, have subsequently dropped out.

007Dale
First Team Star

Mar 2, 2019, 5:51 AM

Post #15 of 20 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

When the league was privatised about ten years ago - it was run by the Gloucestershire FA prior to that - the new group running it introduced a rule stating that the league would not accept any new reserve XIs into it. The two existing reserve XIs, Bishops Cleeve and Yate Town, have subsequently dropped out.

The Leicestershire Senior League has had plenty since the creation of the East Midlands Counties league, but they’ve gradually been reducing in number and the last remaining one (Kirby Muxloe) are likely to be relegated this season.

Albeit Ashby Ivanhoe are possible contenders to replace them. So currently 1/16. They would in theory be able to have 4.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 2, 2019, 12:52 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #16 of 20 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The Leicestershire Senior League has had plenty since the creation of the East Midlands Counties league, but they’ve gradually been reducing in number and the last remaining one (Kirby Muxloe) are likely to be relegated this season.

Albeit Ashby Ivanhoe are possible contenders to replace them. So currently 1/16. They would in theory be able to have 4.
------------------------------
At least the "R" word would be gone from the LSL for the first time in many a good year as Ashby go under the name Knights.

shimtoan
First Team Regular

Mar 2, 2019, 8:07 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #17 of 20 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

just the 2 de facto reserve teams in the Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier - AFC Dunkirk and Eastwood CFC Development.

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

Richard Rundle

Mar 2, 2019, 8:17 PM

Post #18 of 20 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shimtoan] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I could have put money on this thread descending to another East Midlands thread.

Anyway, with the 25% reserve team no longer applicable, is the 14-team minimum for Step 7 still a thing too?

Reborn Yellow
Youth Team Regular

Mar 3, 2019, 5:28 PM

Team(s): Hucknall Town, Nottingham Forest

Post #19 of 20 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shimtoan] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Keeping with the East Midlands, quite a few clubs around here have a community team or a development team. Are these just reserve teams with a different name or is there some real difference?

In Reply To

shimtoan
First Team Regular

Mar 3, 2019, 7:51 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #20 of 20 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reborn Yellow] Percentage of reserve teams in a Step 7 division [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Keeping with the East Midlands, quite a few clubs around here have a community team or a development team. Are these just reserve teams with a different name or is there some real difference?

In Reply To

AFC Dunkirk is deffo Dunkirk's reserves. Eastwood have about 2/3 overlap between their squads so I'd say reserves

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3