Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 Next page Last page  View All

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 8, 2019, 6:02 PM

Post #1701 of 1720 (8024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am not sure that fixture is right

I think Bonymaen are home in the plate or the cup as I did consider this for the Saturday as opportunity arises to stay away with family

Looking at Torquay area now but I am sure you check fixture carefully

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2019, 1:36 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #1702 of 1720 (7818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am not sure that fixture is right

I think Bonymaen are home in the plate or the cup as I did consider this for the Saturday as opportunity arises to stay away with family

Looking at Torquay area now but I am sure you check fixture carefully

Thanks for the advice. It's still showing as on, on both the BBC website (which I expected should be right, but may have been naive) and the WRU website. But I see the Plate fixture on the Saturday also. For the WRU website, I have to click through each competition individually to find fixtures for a date - is there a better source?

Ciderjon had suggested to me checking directly with Bonymaen and I will if both fixtures continue to show.

Backup is Llantrisant, but not much there I believe.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (876) Estadio Mario Villaneuva Inter Playa del Carmen 2-0 Yalmakan
With FC United: 132
On the agenda:
9/2 FC United v Altrincham

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 9, 2019, 2:12 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #1703 of 1720 (7759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I use this for up to date football fixtures but it does what it says on the label , covers all sports.

I've set it on the league/div you are considering , the cup games are also there and all other Rugby in the area

http://www.allwalessport.co.uk/...-union.aspx?cid=4991

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 180 / 1450 / 30 (You know my rules) @ 20 /02 /2019.( Only 14 x 0-0's - It had been a run of 22 ! ).

Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 109 ( 15-3 %) @ 19/02/2019.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2019, 9:37 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #1704 of 1720 (7195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I use this for up to date football fixtures but it does what it says on the label , covers all sports.

I've set it on the league/div you are considering , the cup games are also there and all other Rugby in the area

http://www.allwalessport.co.uk/...-union.aspx?cid=4991

Thanks Hoddy, I appreciate that. I don't see a date level search there (one benefit of the bbc site), so it's still a case of checking each competition to find the fixtures for Sunday, unless I've missed something.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (876) Estadio Mario Villaneuva Inter Playa del Carmen 2-0 Yalmakan
With FC United: 132
On the agenda:
9/2 FC United v Altrincham

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2019, 11:25 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1705 of 1720 (6915 views)
Shortcut

I doubt any of the five fixtures listed on BBC website will actually be played on Sunday (Bonymaen, Brecon, Llantrisant, Denbigh and Bethesda). They all involve teams playing in the last 16 of the WRU Plate on Saturday. Maybe the WRU put these games on standby in case any of the cup matches the previous day get called off. You will also find some Division 3 games listed for Sunday on the WRU website which all involve teams playing in the WRU Bowl on Saturday. Again, I doubt any of these will be played. All Wales Sport, which I find more reliable than the WRU website, doesn't list any of these Sunday games.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2019, 1:16 AM

Team(s):

Post #1706 of 1720 (6721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Catching up on my posts again, this time from the last Saturday of 2018 and the first one of 2019.

Saturday 29th December 2018 (ko 1430)
at Welfare Park, Senghenydd
WRU National League Division Two East
Senghenydd 18 Caerphilly 5 (ht 13-5)
Admission - £4.00
Programme - None issued
Attendance - 900 (estimate)

With rugby in England and Scotland below professional level taking a week off, I was always going to head to Wales for a fixture today. With virtually a full programme to choose from - in some years only the upper tiers have played over the holiday period - I decided to keep the Premiership grounds I needed for another time, and pick a game from further down the pyramid. This very local derby caught the eye, and proved to be a good choice.

Senghenydd is a former mining village at the head of the small Aber valley, around four miles north west of Caerphilly. It has a surprisingly frequent bus service, with journeys running at twelve minute intervals, and stops right beside the alleyway that gives access between terraced houses to the park. There is only a small car park for players and officials on this side of the ground, which means pedestrians are not having to share the narrow access road with a constant stream of cars. The main car park is on the west side of the ground, and there are huts at which spectators pay admission on either side of the pitch.

Most of the ground facilities are at the northern end of the pitch, where clubhouse and changing rooms are in separate buildings, whilst in between is a football ground style tea hut, which was open throughout for the sale of burgers and hot drinks. Of course, this being the Welsh valleys, the whole set up feels more like a football ground than any English rugby ground - there is certainly no-one wearing silly stripey blazers! No cask real ale at the bar either - not that I had ever had much hope on that score - though Doom Bar was available in bottles.

The pitch is fully railed, with a decent sized stand on the western side. It comprises four rows of bench seating atop very steep stone steps, and is populated during the game by some of the most vociferous of the home support. The far side of the pitch has the only dug out - occupied by the home team - and three steps of terracing, much of it obscured and overgrown by vegetation that means great care is required in watching where you step. The southern end is also fairly rough ground, and beyond the boundary fence is an area that is used for pre match warm ups which is marked on my A-Z as a cricket ground, but has clearly not been used as such for some time. Further rugby posts are visible beyond that area, but I think they may be part of the local school facilities.

The setting is attractive with steeply rising valley sides on either side of the ground, although the scenery is not as rugged as some of the larger valleys. The pitch is equipped with training lights, and these were switched on for the last twenty minutes of the game, providing enough light to avoid the closing stages being played in gathering gloom. League leaders Senghenydd always look likely to prove too strong for their visitors from the local big town, although an interception try keeps Caerphilly in touch. In fact, had they had a reliable kicker - a presentable conversion and two penalties were all missed - the visitors could have remained right in the hunt as determined defence restricted the hosts to two tries.

Saturday 5th January 2019 (ko 1415)
at Strawberry How, Cockermouth
RFU Northern Division Cumbria One (Level Seven)
Cockermouth 38 Hawcoat Park 19 (ht 24-12)
No admission charge or programme issued
Attendance - 100 (estimate)

Something of a tidy up job this afternoon, as I had been here previously for football, although it is very much first and foremost a rugby ground. Cumberland County League side Cockermouth FC are still based here, and although I can’t recall the pitch lay out from my previous visit, I have no reason to assume it was any different than today. Nor could I remember quite how uphill a walk it is from the town centre - around a mile away - age certainly makes you notice these things rather more. At least there are some very acceptable watering holes on route, both the Castle Bar and the Bitter End have plenty of choice to keep a real ale enthusiast happy.

The big plus of all that uphill walking is an unobstructed panorama from the ground to the south and east. The view takes in all of England’s highest mountains, and is impressive enough today, one of those gloomy winter afternoons when it never feels like it is fully daylight. In better weather, it would be simply stunning. The main pitch is railed along both sides, with dug outs on the clubhouse side, although the visitors decamped to the far touchline for the duration of the game. This was the only game here today, but the football pitch runs alongside the rugby pitch, with another rugby pitch at right angles, and a further set of rugby posts away in the distance, where there also appeared to be a few training lights.

Clubhouse and changing rooms are in a fairly modern looking building, although I suspect it may be that it has fairly recently been renovated. Two hand pumps at the bar, but one was covered with a towel and the other was offering Sharp’s Atlantic - I had hoped for something rather more local! I think hot food was limited to serving players and officials post match, but the kitchen was open from just before kick off for the sale of hot drinks. A post match coffee was very welcome on an afternoon that felt chillier than the advertised 6°C, whilst I had time for a chippy tea back in the town centre - Cumberland sausage of course!

Cockermouth have made an impressive step up to level seven, seemingly never looking back from an opening day of the season win over Aspatria. Their place in the top four when this eight team league splits is assured, having lost just three times - twice to leaders and local rivals Keswick and at Hawcoat Park. The visitors are in a battle with Wigton for the final top four place - they have a game in hand and have still to meet - but they could really do with picking up points today. It is a real contrast in styles - Cockermouth scoring most of their points through their backs from open play, with Hawcoat Park reliant on the efforts of their forwards. It finishes six tries to three, with the hosts scores coming in groups of two, and the visitors seeming to have to work far harder for each try. The Barrow based team do close to within five points at one stage in the second half, but despite late pressure they miss out on the four try bonus point.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2019, 8:32 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1707 of 1720 (6039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 12th January 2019
Ampthill & District 48 Plymouth Albion 15 (HT 15-8)
National League One (level three, kick-off 2.15pm)
Admission £10
Programme £2 (28pp, game-specific, glossy, lamentable content)
Attendance 365 (per Ampthill website. My headcount came to 270. The rugby union crowd calculator at work again!)
Didn't bother with the refreshments hut

Fifty minutes in, Plymouth Albion opted to run a penalty awarded in front of the posts. The tap came to nothing. Had they kicked for goal successfully, the visitors, playing down a considerable slope, would have trailed by just two points (20-18). Then, between the 56th and 67th minutes, Ampthill ran in four tries - two to wing Sam Baker, all converted - to blow away the Devonians. Coincidentally, Ampthill scored 48 points last Saturday yet managed to lose, 49-48, at Esher, in what must have been a remarkable (or remarkably loose) contest. A distinctly pedestrian Plymouth side, who led 5-0 after six minutes and were level, at 15-15, after 44, never looked like scoring many points. When Ampthill got the ball wide, to their speedy backs, they looked a decent team. Several of Amps' tries were scored from distance after slick handling and kicking combinations. The try tally finished 7-2. The referee awarded both teams a penalty try (nobody in my vicinity knew why) and yellow-carded a player from each.

I'll lift a club website quote from Ampthill head coach Paul Turner: "This was a good win against an in-form and confident Plymouth. At 20-15, early in the second half, we raised our level, producing some of the best football of the season. I was delighted with the energy and skill, the performance making up for the disappointment at Esher. This result sets us up nicely for the big game at Blackheath next week." Ampthill stay fourth, level on 62 points with Rosslyn Park (third) and Old Elthamians (second). Blackheath have 63 points. Tight division!

Dillingham Park, located opposite, I noticed, the Ampthill Town FC ground, is an odd set-up. At first glance, it appears to be a bog standard lower division RU arrangement: two pitches (the worst - a mudbath - equipped with training lights) next to a clubhouse, in this instance a red brick, two-storey structure (changing rooms downstairs, bar - complete with warming log burner and plentiful archive photographs - on the first floor). Five years ago, however, Ampthill were given a plot of land a couple of hundred yards away, beyond woodland surrounding Cooper's Hill (apparently, the largest remaining area of heathland on Bedfordshire's greensand ridge). The plot was big enough to lay out two pitches, accessed via a muddy path through trees. For this level of RU, the facilities are pitiful. The land is SSSI-rated, which means Ampthill cannot develop either of the two remote pitches into a proper ground. The first XV pitch is railed on each side and roped off at the ends. On the east side, there are permanent dug-outs, a small wooden hut serving tea and coffee, and a marquee bar disused since a gale blew its roof to pieces. The pitch slopes pretty steeply downhill towards the north end, where, at a gap the boundary fence, admission is taken and programmes sold. Owing to the land dropping away, there is barely room on the west side for a single line of spectators. Most of the crowd gathers opposite, on the sort of grass bank even non-league football outlawed years ago. The slope is dotted with benches and wooden crush barriers (never tested, I'm betting). But this most basic of enclosures lacks hardstanding, cover and floodlights. It's quirkily out of the common, though, and there's a nice view, to the west, of rolling countryside. Contrary to Sarah Keith-Lucas's Friday evening weather forecast, it rained throughout the second half then all the way home up an A1 again blessedly quiet.

Back to the railed former first XV pitch, alongside the clubhouse. Ampthill and Richmond tangled on its heavy expanse today at second team level (1pm kick-off). I watched for 20 minutes or so, during which the visitors scored two converted tries, before going for a walk in the woods.

Pre-rugby, I had a brief snoop round Ampthill. Looked a nice little town, with several impressive Georgian buildings. Shame about the welter of motorists battling for supremacy on its narrow streets. Congratulations to the sadist who decided to locate two mini-roundabouts cheek-by-jowl right in the town centre. Rules of the road, anyone?

By the time the RU had finished, it was half-time, over the road, in a footy game between Ampthill Town and Hatfield (Town? Is that South Midlands League?). Earlier, I had thought about watching the second half of the football but, in the end, decided it didn't hold sufficient appeal to delay embarking upon my return north.

Bit of information for the very few who might care: my first choice RU fixture today was Peterborough versus Oundle (Midlands One East). Changed my mind when the home secretary texted to say Peterborough don't issue.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 908; Rugby Union 265; Rugby League 215; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 12, 2019, 8:44 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2019, 7:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #1708 of 1720 (5265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 12th - STH WEST ONE EAST: WIMBORNE 10 NEWBURY BLUES 59

ADM: Free. PROG: £4. ATT: h/c 200

Began the day thinking I was heading for Stourpaine & some footy, but the traffic gods decided otherwise. So a vulture job it was at Leigh Park, with the home side expecting planning approval for a new humble abode. The ground played on now, is nought more than a recreational facility, hence no charge for admission. Very few seemed happy to stump up £4 for paper to cuddle, but were more than content to pay it for a pint!

Not much here really, other than a roped off pitch & a decent upstairs clubhouse. Ideal for watching the game from mind on a chilly afternoon. Approximately half the attendance, came from Newbury which perhaps isn’t surprising as they’ve won all sixteen league matches to date. Clearly destined for a climb back up the divisions, they played excellent running rugby. Nine tries to the good before taking foot off the gas in the last five minutes. Two home tries late on, at least got Wim on the scoreboard.

KRTM :-)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2019, 10:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #1709 of 1720 (5061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 12th January 2019 (ko 1420)
at West Park, Long Eaton
RFU Midland Division Midlands Two East (North) (Level Seven)
Long Eaton 52 Matlock 19 (ht 21-12)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 32 pages, free
Attendance - 140 (estimate)

This is another incredibly tight division, likely to provide a number of interesting fixtures as the season progresses. Leaders Melbourne are well clear and look to have the title pretty much wrapped up, but the next eight teams, in what is just a twelve team division, begin the day divided by just eight points in what should be a fierce contest for runners-up spot and the play off place it brings. Long Eaton, runaway champions at level eight last season, start in second place, whilst Matlock, who clinched a play off place in 2018 (I saw them lose that game at Luton), are five places and six points back with a game in hand.

Arriving in Long Eaton by train, I divert to the town centre for lunch, before crossing the footbridge over the Erewash Canal and taking a pleasant stroll through West Park. The more direct route back to the station after the game is no more than a half mile walk. For a ground situated in the middle of a public park, facilities are quite good. Clubhouse and changing rooms are contained in a single building, which noticeably has shutters on all its windows, probably a necessity given its isolated location. However, everything is opened up for the match, and a few tables and chairs are placed outside on the patio.

A pre match lunch is taking place, but there is plenty of space in the clubhouse for regular spectators. One hand pump at the bar, dispensing Harvest Pale from Castle Rock Brewery, whilst the kitchen is set up for the sale of hot drinks even whilst the pre match meal is being served, something plenty of rugby clubs seem unable to manage. Programmes are scattered on the tables of those enjoying lunch, and I ask a club official if someone will be coming round to sell them to spectators, but am told to help myself to one of the spare copies. It is a season long shell with a four page match specific insert, and has a £1.00 price tag on the cover. However, I never saw any attempt to sell them, rather surprising as the grounds position in a public park precludes taking a gate in a normal sense, so whether they issue if there is no pre match lunch I do not know.

Reading one of the information boards dotted around West Park, I learn that the stream that flows through it is designed to be used as part of the town’s flood defences. I assume this explains the presence of a number of grass embankments, one of which stands between the main pitch and the clubhouse, and which is a popular vantage point during the game. There are six rugby pitches in total, with the main pitch and one other floodlit, and a third having training lights. Only the main pitch is in use today, and stages a colts fixture ahead of the first team game, which causes the game to start five minutes late. However, on the gloomiest of winter afternoons, the floodlights are switched on throughout. The main pitch is fully railed, and, although it is all grass standing, underfoot conditions are very good for the time of year. An electronic scoreboard behind the posts is updated throughout.

Long Eaton always have the edge after scoring two tries in the opening quarter of an hour, but their final margin of victory is flattering to say the least. Matlock twice hit back to remain in touch at half time, but the home team’s left winger scores a hat trick in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half to effectively settle the result. However, Long Eaton then incur two sin binnings for dangerous tackles, giving Matlock ten minutes against fourteen men and five minutes against thirteen to score the two further tries they need for a bonus point. They manage one score in that spell, and are still chasing their fourth try when it is back to fifteen a side, only for Long Eaton to score from an interception on the half way line, whilst their eighth try from the last play of the game really puts the icing on the cake.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 17, 2019, 8:27 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #1710 of 1720 (4612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 16 January 2019
Cambridge University 26 Penguin International XV 38
Admission £5
Programme £1
Attendance – around 200

A cold chilly evening in Cambridge really put me off going to this fixture but I managed to get motivated enough to turn up. As Rugby Union goes this wasn’t a bad game to watch. Both sides ran the ball and there was very little kicking. The Penguins side was made up of players from various clubs such as Watsonians, Coventry, Harlequins, Norwich, Chingford, London Scottish, London Irish, Bury St Edmunds, Doncaster, Oxford Uni, GPS Rugby Brisbane, Manley Marlins and the Rams. A couple of their side had been capped by Fiji. They raced into a commanding 26-0 half time lead but due to numerous substitutions the second half was won by Cambridge.

The food this season at Grange Road is a bit disappointing. You had the choice of a Ham Hock roll or a Dry Cured Bacon one. I went for the Ham Hock but it was very poor. The night crying was out for a good old thick soup.

There is always a convivial atmosphere here with a split of people watching the Rugby or there for a social jolly.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 21, 2019, 2:15 PM

Post #1711 of 1720 (4126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 19 January 2019
National League 3 London & SE
Shelford 12 Westcliffe 52
Admission £5
Programme – none
Attendance - around 120

Shelford RFC are one of those traditional Rugby Union clubs dotted around the country. Plenty of pre match meals, jugs of ale and stripy boating blazers in evidence. There is a lot of activity going on but not much based on watching the game.

The club is located in a village to the south of Cambridge. It is not too far from the M11 if you are driving. Shelford have installed a new 3G pitch and it looks quite smart. Very green and well maintained it changes the dynamic of the game and appears to encourage a more ball in hand approach as opposed to kicking all the time. Davey field has one elevated covered stand which I believe is reserved for officials and VIP’s but it’s easy enough to get into if you want to sit in it. Downstairs is a large bar area where hospitality meals are served. There is also a nice small club shop selling various items and souvenirs at the entrance to the club house. With the installation of the pitch there is hard standing on all four sides although it is narrow. There is also a strange building behind one set of posts. It looks like a posh TV gantrie/hospitality box but it was not in use today. Opposite the main stand is a electronic scoreboard and scaffolding video filming tower. There is also two steps of terracing on this side.

Food is served from a hatch on the outside of the stand with burgers and hot dogs available. Overall it is a nice venue. The club have gone online with their programme this season but soon abandoned that idea and now issue none at all. There was a home team sheet on the hospitality tables.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2019, 12:12 AM

Team(s):

Post #1712 of 1720 (4042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 19th January 2019 (ko 1400)
at McCracken Park, Gosforth
RFU Northern Division Durham and Northumberland One (Level Seven)
Northern 29 Stockton 29 (ht 17-12)
Admission - £3.00 inc 36 page programme
Attendance - 120 (estimate)

The north east of England is another area I have had to curtail any trips to this season in the face of never ending strikes on Northern Rail, with day trips only really feasible with the earlier kick offs of winter months, and even then only within easy reach of Newcastle city centre. Northern fits that bill, and, having spent the last few seasons yo-yoing between levels six and seven, their position challenging at the top of the table this time around has had them firmly on my radar. Today’s meeting with fellow promotion challengers Stockton is easily their most attractive home fixture ahead of the return to 3pm kick offs in March, and McCracken Park’s location on the Great North Road sees buses pass at very frequent intervals, with stops right outside the ground, and a journey time of around fifteen minutes from Haymarket Bus Station.

Founded in 1875, and hence Northern FC, they have been based in this rather affluent part of town since 1937. The ground originally had four pitches, and the sale of land that housed one of those pitches raised the capital to build a new clubhouse in 1995. It came with a £1.2 million price tag, and they got an impressive facility for their money. Changing rooms, squash courts and a function room are downstairs, whilst their upstairs Terrace Bar is the hub of match day activity. A choice of four hand pumps at the bar, whilst hot drinks and hot food, in the shape of panini, are also available for purchase. As the name of the bar suggests, an outdoor terrace overlooks the pitch, and was the preferred vantage point of many, and there are patio style tables both on the terrace and at ground level.

The main pitch, one of three now remaining in the complex, is the only one in use this afternoon, whilst the only floodlights are on one of the outer pitches, though whether they are match standard I am not sure. The main pitch is railed along both touchlines, whilst a manually operated scoreboard stands in one corner and was updated throughout. Both perspex style dug outs are located on the clubhouse side, which makes the opposite side of the pitch the obvious spectating point for me. No one on the touchline potentially obscuring your view, and also the opportunity to move up and down the pitch to follow play, which also helps with keeping warm on another chilly afternoon.

The teams served up an absolute cracker on the pitch, with no shortage of unusual first half incidents. Northern squandered one potential try by failing to touch down properly after breaking clear, but did score after Stockton’s attempt to pass clear from their own goal line saw the ball rebound off the post. The potential crucial point seemed to come in first half stoppage time when the visiting scrum half collected a second yellow card, which, as in football but not in rugby league, means a red card. Northern took full advantage to cross the try line from the resultant penalty, and open up an interval lead.

Stockton’s response after the break was impressive, and, when Northern had a player sin binned, they took full advantage of that spell of 14 versus 14 to go from 17-12 down to 29-17 ahead. Once the hosts got back to full strength, they fought their way back to level terms with around ten minutes remaining. It got even tougher for Stockton when an altercation saw, as is so often the case, the retaliator punished more severely than the instigator, and the visiting captain was sin binned. Somehow they survived those last few minutes of 13 versus 15, and even won a potential game winning penalty with virtually the last play, but the long range effort fell short of the posts.

A final try count of four apiece, so three points for both teams, which probably suited nearest rivals Durham and West Hartlepool better than either of these two teams. Fantastic entertainment for the neutral however, which made the long journey well worthwhile.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jan 28, 2019, 11:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #1713 of 1720 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 26th January 2019 (ko 1415)
at Heslam Park, Scunthorpe
RFU Midland Division Midlands Premier (Level Five)
Scunthorpe 17 Luctonians 15 (ht 7-5)
Admission - £6.00
Programme - 48 pages, £1.00
Attendance - 250 (estimate)

East looked best today, to stay ahead of rain moving across the country, but it is far from the easiest direction for me at the moment due to Northern Rail’s continuing Saturday strikes. At least Scunthorpe’s Heslam Park home, shared with Scunthorpe Town Cricket Club, is conveniently placed, little more than half a mile south of the railway station. Admission is taken and programmes dispensed at a table by the entrance gate from the car park. Most spectators though entered via the clubhouse, and then along the pathway around the cricket pitch that also passed the pay table. Of course, anyone could have left the clubhouse and walked directly across the cricket pitch, but I think rugby at this level generally assumes its spectators are honest, and I didn’t notice anyone avoiding paying.

All catering facilities are from the bar - two real ales, as well as hot drinks and sandwiches. A pre match meal is taking up most of the main function room, but a couple of other areas are available to regular spectators, so there is plenty of room. The cricket pavilion is attached to the clubhouse, but unused today - the rugby changing rooms are in a separate building closer to the main pitch.

A pathway leads all the way round to the main pitch, which is on the furthest side of the cricket field from the clubhouse. The side that overlaps with cricket has a temporary pitch side barrier and movable dug outs. The far side had a permanent rail, and a substantial seated stand, that has five rows of plastic tip up seats atop a concrete base. There are floodlights, but only in three corners, so presumably for training only, unless they can add a movable column on the corner that overlaps with cricket. An electronic scoreboard is sited on the boundary wall at one end, whilst a second pitch runs away at right angles. This one also overlaps the cricket ground, and was today hosting a 4th XV fixture.

Like myself, visitors Luctonians have had a long cross country journey, in their case from rural Herefordshire, and start the day in third place in the table, eight points behind leaders Scunthorpe. The game delivers the tight contest I expected, with Luctonians scoring first, going down 14-5, but coming back to lead 15-14 as we went into the last ten minutes. A potential neck injury to a home player at a ruck sees an ambulance called, and the decision made not to move the player until professional medical support arrives. With the 4th XV game having just concluded, the referee calls the captains together for a coin toss, and after a delay of no more than six or seven minutes everyone has trudged across to the second pitch to witness the closing stages. A penalty clinches victory for the hosts in those remaining minutes, and the ambulance has arrived by the time the game ends. The injured player is soon moved, so, although I have not seen any updates on his condition, hopefully it was not too serious.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 2, 2019, 8:38 PM

Post #1714 of 1720 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Northampton BBOB 50 Wellingborough OG 0
Midlands East South 4
attendance 40 No admission or prog
Day of constantly changing plans with a choice of three games in my initial thoughts, North Wales Crusaders run an A team and they were scheduled to play Burtonwood Bulldogs at 2 at Deeside Leisure Centre near Shotton station. At all times this appeared to be on and a phone call last nights confirmed this but a photo from FC Nomads pitch and their postponement put me off. Twitter confirmed on just before 12 bit not seen a result. Lower Breck was the other option but 10am inspection saw train options diminishing and the suggestion was the ref had passed it fit despite snow on the pitch. Photos seen indicate the clubs hard work meant not in doubt
The weather forecast switched to suggesting London was an option and Old Colfieans rugby in the cup semi but no tweets or phone answered and photos from Kent put me off
It appeared unusually the Midlands was the best place but phone answers of definitely on,on frosty days mean little in RL
Kesteven said game on with snow on pitch and Lincoln tweeted on and then off within an hour
A phone call to Northampton Mens said on so arrived at 1.20 to find the ref had not in fact inspected but had the surface described over the phone and he had not arrived but Thorney had arrived and clearly did not want to play. Noone seemed to know who decided but I believe if one team don't consider the pitch fit, the game is off. I had checked a back up hence an arrival 15 mins before kick off for the above
The ground is just north of the town centre and on the same flood plain as the old Northampton Spencer ground. Indeed a bank along one touch line is the edge of the floor plain. ground is otherwise open with a few bnches on top of the bank but railed on each side
Game was top v tenth in a twelve team league so result pretty much as one would have predicted
Just glad to have got a game in

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 7, 2019, 11:54 AM

Post #1715 of 1720 (2782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 6 February 2019
Cambridge University 29 Army 22
Admission £5
Programme £1
Attendance – around 150 – 200

Quite a different type of game this evening compared to the normal Rugby on offer at Grange Road. Early in the first half the Army were awarded a penalty which they duly kicked for a 3-0 lead. The norm here is to not go for goal but run the ball instead. It sort of set the tone for a physical encounter and a bit of Army game management. We also had an all in pushing and shoving handbags at dawn episode. Fair play to the students as they did not take a step back and got stuck in.

The teams were not announced before the game and the programme was not of any use as it just listed the Army players regiments. It would have been nice to know if any of them actually play club Rugby and to what standard. What I didn’t know was that it was the Army’s “A” team and not their first choice side. I only found this out from the Army website. I believe their 1st gave the students a bit of a stuffing last season so this made it two sides that were evenly matched. The Army side was a bit disjointed and relied on a bit of intimidation and trying to show how hard they individually were. The did have some very good individual players though.

Credit to the University caterers this evening as the food on offer improved. The GInsters pasties sold out before the game but there was plenty of Chicken Tikka Masala with rice for £4 and it was good. Only one more game left this season for the students to play which is next Wednesday evening against The Navy.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 9, 2019, 12:45 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1716 of 1720 (2568 views)
Shortcut

Friday 8th February
Midlands Premier (Level 5)
LICHFIELD 22-28 BOURNVILLE (HT 22-15)
Attendance 192 h/c
Admission & Programme £5 (20 glossy match specific pages)

Hosts recovered from a disastrous start to lead at half time before the visitors came back with 13 unanswered second half points. The visitors were 12-0 up inside the first 5 minutes, first a clear run through the middle of the home defence setting up an easy conversion, the second a try in the left corner which the kicker couldn't add the extras from the touchline. Many of the crowd weren't even in the ground at the start and would have missed both early tries and arrived to find their team already 0-12 down. The hosts finally got a foothold and scored a try in the 15th minute after a good spell of pressure. Didn't look the most difficult conversion attempt but it was missed, perhaps not helped by the wind. A few minutes later a penalty saw Bournville restore their two score advantage before Lichfield responded with two converted tries and a penalty sandwiched in between to complete an unlikely comeback and lead at the break. The second half didn't match the excitement of the first, the visitors scoring the only try in between two penalties and they closed the game out by pinning the hosts back in their own half unable to mount any late attack to save the game.

Cooke Fields is a smart set up on the A51 Tamworth Road just east of the A38. A decent sized modern stand with 7 rows of red seats straddles the half way line. On the opposite side is a grass bank leading leading up to the 2nd pitch with another grass bank leading to more pitches benind. The clubhouse and changing rooms are in the corner of this side extending round the goal with a covered overhang and patio area. The scoreboard is at the opposite end and incorporates a tiny little covered stand with a single bench with room for about five people to sit.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Feb 9, 2019, 12:54 AM)

ciderjon
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2019, 11:37 AM

Team(s):

Post #1717 of 1720 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rhayader 66 Forgeside 0

Sat 9 Feb
WRU Div 3 East D (8th tier)
Ko 1.30 (advertised) 1.20 (actual)
Attn 23 f + n

Rhayader is a small upland community in Radnorshire. The rugby club is next to the( much better known) football club and shares an entrance and car park.

This is the so-called 'rotten rugby',a ten club division being the lowest in the eastern sector of the WRU pyramid; and yet, a terrific first half from the home team was eminently watchable and a good exhibition of running rugby. Second half was rather dull by comparison. After 20 minutes the ref called the captain's and they agreed to play until the next score, which was scored eight minutes later and the game was ended as a TKO , Forgeside being reduced to 14 men due to injuries.

The pitch is floodlit, they look better than training but I don't think they get used much for competitive sport. There is one, just one, modern perspex dugout. The away side get a wooden bench without cover. There are no spectator facilities, not even a pitch boundary. The club house is on site though I didn't venture in.

At half time I walked around the ground and counted more red kites wheeling overhead than spectators present.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

(This post was edited by ciderjon on Feb 11, 2019, 12:40 PM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 11, 2019, 5:31 PM

Post #1718 of 1720 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 9th February 2019
Northern Premier Division
Hull 97 Vale of Lune 0
Admission - ?
Programme – free
Attendance – about 175

In the spring of 1989 Hull and East Riding RUFC merged with Ionians RUFC to form Hull Ionians RUFC. The new club took Riding’s league status in Division North One. The 28% of the Riding membership who voted against the merger reformed the club as Hull & East Riding RUFC (1989), and were given membership of Yorkshire Division Six, the bottom tier of Yorkshire county rugby union.
Hull RUFC were formed on July 1st 1992 as a result of a merger between Old Hymerians RUFC and Hull & East Riding RUFC (1989). Old Hymerians were formed in 1925 while the Riding could trace their origins to 1901. The new club took over the tenancy of the Old Hymerians ground at Haworth Park. Since then the club have moved to the Ferens Ground in 2008. It’s an unusual venue as it looks like it is a multipurpose ground with a cricket outfield and pavilion in place, Hull Sports Centre is behind the pavilion and then the Rugby facilities next door. There are also facilities for tennis and bowls also in situ.
The Rugby clubhouse is on two levels with the obligatory pre match meal on the ground floor. The ground facilities consist of hard standing on two sides with an uncovered grandstand on one side and two Atcosts on the opposite side of the pitch.
Hull are supposed to be a monied club and sit at the top of their league. Another Rugby forum claims they are in negations to merge with Ionians but others deny it so who knows? A couple of weeks ago they put 89 points on Kendal and bettered it against Vale of Lune. This was all one way traffic to say the least. The win gives Hull a 19 point lead at the top of the Northern Premier Division.
I arrived just after the kick off as my satnav sent me down a number of nearby side streets. When I did arrive there was no one taking a gate and a programme was picked up off one of the pre match meal tables in the clubhouse. It’s a decent issue with a full colour glossy shell and match specific game information pages stapled together. There is no price on the programme so I guess they are given away for free.

Seagull
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2019, 6:59 PM

Post #1719 of 1720 (2019 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Saturday 9th February 2019
Northern Premier Division
Hull 97 Vale of Lune 0
Admission - ?
Programme – free
Attendance – about 175

In the spring of 1989 Hull and East Riding RUFC merged with Ionians RUFC to form Hull Ionians RUFC. The new club took Riding’s league status in Division North One. The 28% of the Riding membership who voted against the merger reformed the club as Hull & East Riding RUFC (1989), and were given membership of Yorkshire Division Six, the bottom tier of Yorkshire county rugby union.
Hull RUFC were formed on July 1st 1992 as a result of a merger between Old Hymerians RUFC and Hull & East Riding RUFC (1989). Old Hymerians were formed in 1925 while the Riding could trace their origins to 1901. The new club took over the tenancy of the Old Hymerians ground at Haworth Park. Since then the club have moved to the Ferens Ground in 2008. It’s an unusual venue as it looks like it is a multipurpose ground with a cricket outfield and pavilion in place, Hull Sports Centre is behind the pavilion and then the Rugby facilities next door. There are also facilities for tennis and bowls also in situ.
The Rugby clubhouse is on two levels with the obligatory pre match meal on the ground floor. The ground facilities consist of hard standing on two sides with an uncovered grandstand on one side and two Atcosts on the opposite side of the pitch.
Hull are supposed to be a monied club and sit at the top of their league. Another Rugby forum claims they are in negations to merge with Ionians but others deny it so who knows? A couple of weeks ago they put 89 points on Kendal and bettered it against Vale of Lune. This was all one way traffic to say the least. The win gives Hull a 19 point lead at the top of the Northern Premier Division.
I arrived just after the kick off as my satnav sent me down a number of nearby side streets. When I did arrive there was no one taking a gate and a programme was picked up off one of the pre match meal tables in the clubhouse. It’s a decent issue with a full colour glossy shell and match specific game information pages stapled together. There is no price on the programme so I guess they are given away for free.

Most clubs in that division that I've been to in the last 2 to 3 years charge £5 - £7 admission with the programme thrown in free. Vale of Lune have struggled this season after being promoted. There's too much money swilling about at such a modest level from what I've heard, although there is seemingly a salary cap of £60k in place. The level above is reportedly 250k which seems insane to me.

No recent posts from me as we've been in revisit mode since Christmas, only been to Preston Grasshoppers, Vale of Lune and Murrayfield in that time.

(This post was edited by Seagull on Feb 11, 2019, 7:01 PM)

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Feb 18, 2019, 12:36 AM

Post #1720 of 1720 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Going to see Bridgend Sports play Penlan next Saturday as I have time to waste in the town.

First page Previous page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3