Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Trouble at Welwyn Garden City

007Dale
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2019, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 17 (9705 views)
Shortcut
Trouble at Welwyn Garden City Can't Post or Reply Privately

The manager and the club secretary have resigned, due to budget issues and the direction of the club.

Players on Twitter also announcing they have left.

Seems to be an exodus.

Statto1
Ballboy/girl

Jan 11, 2019, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #2 of 17 (9483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All seemed to happen so quickly. In the short term, tomorrow's game against Peterborough Sports must surely be in doubt. No manager, no team (unless the Under 18s are played), probably a lack of volunteers to run everything too.

They haven't had a home game since November due to their pitch being waterlogged which could not have helped (although the decision to cram in three home friendlies in October and November may not have helped the pitch, but this is only speculation on my part).

So IF tomorrow's game goes ahead, I suspect Peterborough will be in line for double figures. The long term future could be in doubt although there is always the possibility of the remaining committee seeing out the season with cheaper players and almost certainly being relegated back to Step 5 (and at a level the committee can financially support).

The new few days will be very important for the history of the club. I suspect their Step 4 days will be over in a few months at the very least.

Statto1
Ballboy/girl

Jan 11, 2019, 3:16 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #3 of 17 (9341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Statto1] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now confirmed that tomorrow's game will not go ahead.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2019, 3:43 PM

Post #4 of 17 (9274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Statto1] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The club have issued a statement blaming the manager for overspending the budget and claim they forced him to resign.

ARL
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 11, 2019, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #5 of 17 (8687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And they've already announced Dean Barker as their new manager.

No way did they need to postpone tomorrow's fixture. They'll be back next week with a new set of players probably on decent money.

steve walker
Administrator

Jan 11, 2019, 9:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 17 (8550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have never known a non league club where the manager signs the cheques. Or any other club for that matter.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2019, 9:21 PM

Post #7 of 17 (8515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have never known a non league club where the manager signs the cheques. Or any other club for that matter.

But they do hand over the plain brown envelopes with backhanders in.

BDA_85
Reserve Team Star

Feb 26, 2019, 2:15 PM

Post #8 of 17 (5775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They appear to have stabilised since the commotion in January, Unbeaten in their last 6, although only one of those was a win. Going to Herns Way tonight and fully expecting a draw, hopefully not a 0-0!

agamemnon3
Junior Team Star

Feb 26, 2019, 4:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 17 (5533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not strictly true --- WGC lost 1-0 at home to Hadley in one of the Herts County competitions about ten days ago. But in essence, as you say, they appear to have stabilised.

Manager Dean Barker has gathered around him a fairly solid squad, most of whom have played for him before, albeit at step 5 or U23 levels. This should be enough to keep them in the division, which was the only brief Barker was given.

Long-term however, the problems may persist. The WGC chairman has been heard telling people that winning the Spartan South Midland League cost four hundred thousand pounds.

IMHO that is an insane amount of money to be talking about for step 5 football, and is simply not sustainable.

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Feb 27, 2019, 7:25 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #10 of 17 (4144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have no idea if 400k is right though if it is you are correct to say it's insane.
One point of view I was given about their problems (possibly a biased one) was that they are not just a football club. They are apparently a sports club and after gaining promotion their AGM ended with the Secretary and Treasurer being replaced by two people who are not involved with the football side which has consequently taken a back seat.

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 27, 2019, 7:35 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa

Post #11 of 17 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone know if this game will go ahead,postponed for weather I think needs to be played within 42 days?seen no mention anywhere

In Reply To
All seemed to happen so quickly. In the short term, tomorrow's game against Peterborough Sports must surely be in doubt. No manager, no team (unless the Under 18s are played), probably a lack of volunteers to run everything too.

They haven't had a home game since November due to their pitch being waterlogged which could not have helped (although the decision to cram in three home friendlies in October and November may not have helped the pitch, but this is only speculation on my part).

So IF tomorrow's game goes ahead, I suspect Peterborough will be in line for double figures. The long term future could be in doubt although there is always the possibility of the remaining committee seeing out the season with cheaper players and almost certainly being relegated back to Step 5 (and at a level the committee can financially support).

The new few days will be very important for the history of the club. I suspect their Step 4 days will be over in a few months at the very least.

In Reply To

(This post was edited by bmavfc on Feb 27, 2019, 7:37 PM)

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 27, 2019, 10:28 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmavfc] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Still has no date on the grid on the Southern League website - showing as "P-P".

BDA_85
Reserve Team Star

Feb 28, 2019, 9:54 AM

Post #13 of 17 (3472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmavfc] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone know if this game will go ahead,postponed for weather I think needs to be played within 42 days?seen no mention anywhere

Would this match come under "exceptional cirucmstances" so the 42 day rule can be flexed?

I asked about a new date when I was at Welwyn on Tuesday and no one seemed to know.

AndyE
First Team Star

Feb 28, 2019, 1:45 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #14 of 17 (3021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In winters when bad weather leads to a lot of postponements, league secretaries tend "not to notice" if the two clubs rearrange a game for a date later than it really ought to be. They have the power to say to the two clubs "That date won't do, please think again and bear in mind the 42 day rule", but they don't usually do it. If a rulebook fanatic complains about that, he'll be told "exceptional circumstances" to keep him quiet, but it's a bit of a fudge.

If a club has a major catastrophe - calamitous coach crash, ground caves in, something like that - those really are exceptional circumstances, and the league will do what it can to help that club out. I don't think the FA has ever entertained the concept of a void season (ie the club is permitted not to complete its fixtures, but to remain at the same level even so), but in exceptionally exceptional circumstances it has happened in other countries and it has happened in league cricket in England.

But not playing one fixture on the due date because of a lack of players really doesn't qualify as exceptional. If that fixture has not been rearranged it must mean that the two clubs have not been able to agree on a new date. Does this perhaps imply that Peterborough Sports are hoping to be given the three points without the game being played?

HarryC
First Team Star

Feb 28, 2019, 2:19 PM

Team(s): Fleet, Aldershot, Chelsea

Post #15 of 17 (2962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is possible that the league want to discuss the matter of unfullfilled fixture at one of their monthly board meetings first and told clubs not to rearrange game until after the meeting, as has happened before.

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 28, 2019, 4:49 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa

Post #16 of 17 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HarryC] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Itís sounds most likely though I thought in the southern league it is the league that decides on rearrange dates. At no point have I heard of a investigation and itís starting to get to the nitty gritty of the season.

In Reply To
It is possible that the league want to discuss the matter of unfullfilled fixture at one of their monthly board meetings first and told clubs not to rearrange game until after the meeting, as has happened before.

Karen Browne
Reserve Team Star

Mar 22, 2019, 1:04 PM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #17 of 17 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Game to be played on Tuesday 2nd April

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3