Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 5th January 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 8, 2019, 10:01 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #76 of 81 (3193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Vase 4th Round

The Oaks

AFC Uckfield 1-4 Windsor

Adm: £6 no progs left ( we only printed 60 )

Att: official 138 ... as they say ... 'my backside in a top hat!' - would hazard a guess there were probably double that. Unimpressed

Directions: bit of a trek cross country down from the M25 through E.Grinstead and well beyond out into the rural Sussex wilds.

Ground a couple of miles down below the southern end of the town beyond the Lewes Rd and back NE off the A22.

Club was f.k.a. Wealden - name change back in 2010 then merged with 'Town' in 2014.

Facilities : don't really feel I should denigrate any club down at STEP05 but I feel AFC missed a trick of sorts. Doubt it would have taken much effort to ascertain that Windsor could travel in numbers - they often do in the Vase.

They were as welcoming to the visiting fans as they could be but it was a tad underwhelming to find a bar virtually without beer ('No real call for it')...only cans of Fosters and a few bottles of cold Bud. Also bar was not opened until a fair queue had formed at HT.

The lack of programmes was understandable but couldn't fathom out why no Hot Food had been considered for the majority of fans - there may have been some laid on for officials and some visiting supporters?

I can only assume they were being financially prudent - which is not something any club at this level can be criticised for I suppose?

On the upside they did have badges behind the bar.

Match: mis-match - visitors belied their decidedly below par showing in the league, with a display of zip and power that the hosts had no answer to.

Some good individual goals and some strong displays in midfield ensured Windsor take their much-beloved regal anglo-Italian livery up to Biggleswade in early Feb. Wink

(This post was edited by royals26 on Jan 8, 2019, 10:16 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2019, 4:29 PM

Post #77 of 81 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
AFC Uckfield 1-4 Windsor

don't really feel I should denigrate any club down at STEP05 but I feel AFC missed a trick of sorts. Doubt it would have taken much effort to ascertain that Windsor could travel in numbers - they often do in the Vase.

They were as welcoming to the visiting fans as they could be but it was a tad underwhelming to find a bar virtually without beer ('No real call for it')...only cans of Fosters and a few bottles of cold Bud. Also bar was not opened until a fair queue had formed at HT.

When I attended for an FA Cup tie at the start of the season Uckfield had called in the services of the nearby Cellar Head Brewery for the "big match" who provided a range of cask and bottled beers which seemed to be going down well. Perhaps there has been a change in personnel ?

Meanwhile, I was at
Harleston T 1 Lakenheath 2
Eastern Counties Div 1 North

Rather a surprise defeat for the runaway leaders, but Lakenheath were the better team throughout and the home goal was a very late consolation.

The unenclosed ground consists of a fully railed pitch in public park with sections of cover on both sides - one is fronted by fencing but that didn't stop 7/8 people watching from there. Teams get changed in the Leisure Centre 50 yards away. A notice advised 'home support' to collect a season ticket, with the price for 'away support' quoted as £5, but the nature of the ground meant that anyone could watch without paying. A poster outlining a Planning Application for floodlights was also on display.

3 weeks ago, I had watched the reverse fixture and at Lakenheath the three sides with grass standing were out of bounds to spectators. Here though, people were able to stand on the three grassed sides without any issue, as had also been the case at Frenford and Wormley - obviously the grass in Suffolk is much more dangerous than the grass in Norfolk, Essex and Hertfordshire !

Just Mulbarton to visit of the newcomers now.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2019, 9:56 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford Utd, Witham T, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking, Fisher.

Post #78 of 81 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SELHURST PARK
CRYSTAL PALACE 1 Grimsby Town 0

Took advantage of the £15 tickets to visit another Premiership ground, and sit in the old main stand.
Referee and VAR ruined the game in the first minute with a red card that was initially a yellow, and would have remained as such in any other league.
Finishing from Palace was woeful, no wonder people get fed up with paying silly money for this kind of stuff every week.

645 GROUNDS - Cranleigh (61/92)
583 WETHERSPOONS - Willenhall
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2019, 11:05 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #79 of 81 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford 1 v 0 Oxford United FA Cup 3rdRound Admission £10 Prog £3 Att 6106
Brentford eventually won a game they had dominated, but at times seemed to lack a cutting edge, with the Oxford keeper making some good saves in the first half whilst Oxford rarely tested Daniels in the Brentford goal. Second half was abit more even and ex Bee Moushino missed Oxford's best chance, which proved to be crucial when with 10 minutes left Moushino brought down Brentofrd's top scorer Maupay in the penalty area. Maupay dusted himself down and scored the penalty to win the game for Brentford. Another 8 minutes stoppage time today though that was a result of an injury suffered by an Oxford Substitute, who had only recently returned from a serious injury.
Brentford now meet the other London Bees Barnet in the 4th round, which all of you lucky people can see on BT Sport on Monday 28th January. WinkWink

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Jan 20, 2019, 9:28 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #80 of 81 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hebburn Town 2-1 Shepshed Dynamo (1-1 HT) at Hebburn Sports Club
FA Vase 4th Round
Admission: £6, Programme: Sold out, Tea: £1
Attendance: 795

First game back in the North East for the next term of uni, step-dad was driving me up so he came along as well. Shepshed were the much better side in the opening stages, egged on by the 30 or so fans behind the goal who had made the lengthy trip up from the Midlands, and after coming close a couple of times they took the lead in the 35th minute after a good header by Niall Prenderville from a corner. The lead could've been extended a few minutes later when the visitors won a penalty for a trip in the box, but Karl Whymark's effort thwacked the crossbar before going over. This appeared to be a turning point for the hosts who after doing very little attacking wise in the first half sprang to life in it's closing stages, getting an equaliser in added time through a volley from Michael Richardson from outside the box which was fired into the bottom left corner. Hebburn continued the momentum after the break and made it 2-1 in the 53rd minute when Luke Sullivan directed a deflection into the net. The hornets seemed comfortable with this lead and sat back a little, but they were dealt a blow with around a quarter of an hour left when Dan Smith was sent off for a rash challenge. This could've been another turning point and Dynamo immediately went hard on pressuring the Hebburn defence for the rest of the match, but some resolute defending saw the hosts through to the next round to face West Auckland. No permanent changes to the ground since my visit a few months ago, but Hebburn brought in a couple of chuck wagons and had an outside bar to serve to bumper crowd.

Grounds visited: 303
Last new ground: Broadfields Stadium (Crawley Town)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 14, 2019, 4:00 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #81 of 81 (211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cymru Alliance (2 pm)

Gresford Athletic 2 Denbigh Town 0 (H/T 1-0)

Entry – can’t remember how much I paid

Programme – 20 pages for £1 (double issue with Sat 29th Dec)

Crowd – c. 60

The weather had been quite wet or frosty in many parts of the UK, but I was convinced that the North Wales border area had been having better weather than many other places, particularly as I had noticed that the Tranmere Rovers v. Tottenham game, televised live by the BBC on Friday night, had been played without any rain or visible frost. (and yes, I know Tranmere isn’t in North Wales, but it was still close enough to make a reasoned judgement about the weather) Gresford Athletic were a club that I had wanted to visit for many years, particularly as I had been travelling to their home game on 01/11/2008 but train delays in the Birmingham area meant that I had to go to the nearest available tick at Wellington Amateurs instead, which turned out to be a good choice anyway as a programme was issued for their Shropshire Senior Cup game against Shawbury United. A wait of just over ten more years was worth it though, as everything went well on the first Saturday of 2019.

Unlike 2008, when I had intended to travel by train from London to Wrexham via Birmingham and then walk from there to Gresford, this time I travelled by train direct from London to Chester and then took one of the frequent buses that run to Wrexham from the stop across the road from the entrance to Chester station. However, as my Freedom Pass is not valid in Wales, I would have had to pay the bus fare if I remained on the bus after it had crossed the border. Because of this, I alighted at the last stop in England, which is in the village of Pulford, and from there it took exactly one hour to walk to the football ground. It is a perfectly safe walk with a pavement all the way, which was just as well as it was getting dark when I walked all the way back to Pulford after the match. You can tell when you have crossed the border, as there are signs indicating this on both sides of the main road.

When I arrived in the neat and tidy village of Gresford, I found that the ground was slightly better than I had expected, with prefabricated covered seating or standing stands on two sides. The stand behind one goal is the longer of the two and is all-seated. The stand by the half-way line is smaller and is terraced. The only drawback is the presence of a cricket square on the north side of the football pitch. There are two entrances, one in the amusingly-named Clappers Lane, and another, more well-hidden, entrance in Lakeside Close. I then had a walk a little further towards Wrexham in order to pass the time. I had only walked another a few hundred yards before I stumbled across an impressive and very new–looking football ground, which belongs to the FA of Wales. I had been completely unaware of the existence of this venue, which seems to be the FAW’s northern version of the Spytty complex at Newport. In my opinion, it would be a good idea if Gresford were to use this venue, but only if they wanted to avoid the problems created by sharing with cricket. Hopefully this will happen one day and the many of us will be able to return to this village to tick this new ground.

I then returned to the Gresford Athletic ground for the kick-off but could not find anyone taking admission money at the Clappers Lane entrance. I walked into the clubhouse and found that gate money was being taken and programmes being sold from a table inside it, although gate money was later taken at the Clappers Lane entrance, which is used mainly by spectators wanting to park their cars around the cricket pitch. If Gresford want to progress to the top tier of Welsh football, they may face a choice between spending a lot of money on enclosing the ground fully and installing floodlights, or persuading the Welsh FA to let them use the new complex nearby. As for the game, Gresford took the lead in the 8th minute with a headed goal, and added a second in the 61st minute, not long after a Denbigh player had been sent off. The game ended more or less on time and I was able to walk back across the border at a comfortable pace and reach the bus stop with a few minutes to spare before the next bus back to Chester came along.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Nov 14, 2019, 4:32 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3