Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 5th January 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 5:16 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #1 of 81 (12713 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 5th January 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League Cup Quarter Final

Colden Common 0 Bush Hill 3

admission free usual good programme £1-00 attendance 36 h/c
10th in HPFL v 2nd in HPFL
Uncannilly like my Boxing day match, but better entertainment: a competitive start to the game, then the higher-place visitors had a player sent off after half an hour, had to reorganise, but as a result bossed the rest of the game in a comfortable win. The visitors started well and played some good football. A good move saw Drake set up Randall early on, but he shot wide. A great ball from Barker then set up Drake in a one-on-one with home keeper Funnell, he just got a hand to the shot and it was cleared off the line by Warnes. Bush then suffered a blow as defender Strong went off injured. The home team started to threaten a little; a free-kick was cleared to Egerton, whose shot went over. Top-scorer Barker looked lively and was always a threat for the visitors, and they were always looking to play him in - he had a shot saved on 17 mins. A corner was then cleared to Common's Marcinkowski, whose shot was only just over. But Bush continued to have more chances - a Davis shot across goal was just wide, and Harding's shot was saved easily. On the half hour, as the teams lined up for a free-kick, the ref spotted an off the ball incident, and Long received his marching orders (no complaints), so Bush were down to 10 men. Chance of an upset? Absolutely not as a minute later Drake skipped across the edge of the area and rifled in an unstoppable shot. Barker then had a shot deflected wide, and from the corner sub Whitlock was criminally unmarked at the far post to head in a second goal. We then had a bout of handbags after a crude foul by each side in succession. Nearer to the break there was a scramble in the home penalty area, with three efforts blocked, but half time came at 0-2.
Three mins after the break the game was sewn up by another skip across the penalty area by Drake, this time left to right, and a no less unstoppable shot. Watts came into the game for Common in this half, and he soon had a shot saved by Hodder. However, Barker, Haines and Davis all had chances to increase the visitors' lead further. Watts then had a further shot and header off-target, and Drake and Randall came close for the visitors. In the last five mins Common came close; firstly we saw a brilliant double save by Hodder from Paskins, then Watts, then he did well to tip over an effort from Strange. At the other end Funnell did well to block a shot from Drake, clean through, then Haines was denied a headed goal from a corner for a foul. An impressive win for the visitors who played some good football, despite having some obstacles to overcome.
No changes at Boyes Lane since my last visit - adequate car park, cosy and friendly clubhouse, good programme, and pitch on a bit of a slope with dugouts on the far side, and nothing much else. The proposed move to Otterbourne may not take place this season now - apparently the pitch there, after 2-3 years fallow, needs some work on it before ready for play.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Jan 5, 2019, 5:17 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 5:39 PM

Post #2 of 81 (12643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hay St Mary’s 3 Ffostrasol Wanderers 0

Forest Road: Central Wales Challenge Cup Second Round

Having not watched any live football on New Year’s Day, after watching six matches during the course of the festive season, my first outing of 2019 saw a relatively quick return to Forest Road after enjoying the Saints’ Boxing Day derby meeting with Presteigne St Andrews in the MMP Mid Wales League Second Division. Hay St Mary’s enjoyed a 5-2 victory over their border rivals to remain in second position in the league table and hot on the heels of current leaders Montgomery Town with two games in hand. This afternoon’s match provided the Saints with an opportunity to turn their attentions away from the bread and butter of the league and make further progress in their area association competition after enjoying a 5-1 victory at Presteigne St Andrews in the previous round of the competition. The home club had already bowed out of the FAW Trophy, League Cup and E R Jenkins Cup and this competition, as well as the Radnorshire Cup, provided the Saints with the opportunity to reach a cup final this term. Hay St Mary’s have a semi-final in the Radnorshire Cup to look forward to when they welcome higher-graded Llanidloes Town to Forest Road next month. Ffostrasol Wanderers were one of several junior clubs competing in this stage of the competition this afternoon and were looking to cause an upset against opponents that had reached the final of this competition as a junior club themselves 10 years ago. The Parc Troedrhiw club found themselves mid-table in the Costcutter Ceredigion League First Division and had enjoyed a 3-0 victory at local rivals Llandysul in the previous outing on Boxing Day. This was the first time I had watched Ffostrasol wanderers since their appearances on the Ceredigion League’s groundhops in recent years. I was impressed by the main stand at Parc Troedrhiw and the overall facilities for a small village club plying their trade in recreational mid Wales football.

The hosts had a good opportunity to opening the scoring in the sixth minute but Brendan Hackett was unable to keep his effort down from an inviting Will Goodwin cross on the left edge of the penalty area. Matty Tong saw his ninth minute volley turned behind by the Ffostrasol Wanderers goalkeeper after Jack Biggs had lifted the ball into the penalty area. Biggs fire a 14th minute effort at the visiting custodian from nearly 30 yards out before the Saints opened the scoring two minutes later. Tong fired a shot om the turn into the bottom corner of the net after the Wanderers' defence failed to clear the ball properly from out of their penalty area. Hay St Mary's doubled their early lead virtually straight after the restart when Adi Lawford found the back of the visitor's net to hand the hosts a significant advantage. Biggs headed a 19th minute cross straight at the Ffostrasol Wanderers goalkeeper before Lawford ran on to a through ball four minutes later but lifted his half-volley over the crossbar as well as the opposition custodian. The Ceredigion League outfit struck a 25 yard free-kick straight at Tom Bevan in the 28th minute before Biggs struck an upright three minutes later when he headed a cross from out on the right against an upright and then saw the ball run across the face of goal and behind for a goal kick. Hay St Mary's started the second--half by seeing Tong headed wide from an inviting cross five minutes after the interval. Ffostrasol Wanderers came close to halving the deficit nine minutes later when a goal kick was helped on and a half-volley from around 25 yards out came back off the frame of Bevan's goal. The visitor's came close again to pulling a goal back when Bevan came out of his penalty area but the Wanderers were unable to take advantage of his error. The Saints had a great opportunity to add to their tally in the 64th minute when Tong was brought down in the penalty area but Biggs fired the resultant spot-kick out of the ground. The Parc Troedrhiw outfit volleyed wide from a 71st minute corner before Biggs headed wide from a home corner nine minutes later. Hay St Mary's completed the scoring five minutes later when the visitors failed to handle a teasing cross from Jack Evans and Lawford swung a foot at the ball and it trickled over the line despite the best efforts of a visiting defender. The afternoon ended on a sour note for the Saints when Tong received a straight red card in stoppage time for raising his hands to an opponent. The home team could have won by a more comfortable margin but were denied by a combination of some profligate finishing and fine goalkeeping by the Wanderers number one.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 545
Matches: 115
New Grounds: 14

The Moose
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 5:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 81 (12623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TROWBRIDGE & DIST. LGE DIV 2: SPENCERS 0 WESTBURY UTD DEV 3

ADM / PROG: F & N. ATT: h/c 10

After three nights of sub zero temperatures, I was surprised to find this on. Just a village rec really in the village of Seend, with no furniture to speak of. A small amount of village hall roof overhang set back from the pitch, should it be inclement & that’s your lot here. The ground is to be found midway twixt TrowVegas & Devizes, opposite the Manor House.

I assume the club has a connection to the Spencers sports club in Melksham, so why they rent a pitch a few miles away, is a mystery. Only two ‘grounds’ left for me to do in this relatively local league, which I’m looking forward to completing. Most are basic in the extreme, but needs must when the weather is a tad dodgy.

Spencers only joined this step 9 division this summer, but who knows if they’ll be around long. Only three points all season clearly means the players have lost interest. Only the bare eleven started, with no subs or even a manager looking on. Once a player was injured, leaving them with ten men, twuz game over. Chilly afternoon out, but at least something new to tick off.

KRTM :-)

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

Jan 5, 2019, 5:53 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #4 of 81 (12596 views)
Shortcut

FA CUP THIRD ROUND
West Bromwich Albion 1 - 0 Wigan Athletic
att. 15,465 (£10 in, HT 1-0)
@ The Hawthorns

First Wigan game of the season for me and first time at The Hawthorns. Turgid display from both sides in the main, only one of the few chances that WBA had went in, adjudged a goal from the ref's watch. Wigan look like a League 1 side stuck above their weight, WBA just average for the tier.

Nice enough ground though and plenty easy to get to.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Jan 5, 2019, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 81 (12566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Accrington Stanley 1 Ipswich Town 0
FA Cup, 3rd Round

Admission; £20
Programme: Only £2 but poor quality, team sheets from club shop at 20p.

Embarrassing - and now 9 years since we have won a FA Cup game.

Accrington deserved the win and were very welcoming hosts, pre drinks and free parking at the Enfield Cricket Club, just 6 minute walk from ground.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 6:21 PM

Post #6 of 81 (12501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 05th January 2019
Humber Premier League
Hull United 0 Pocklington Town 1
Admission free
Programme N/A
Attendance peaked at 15.
Refreshments vending machines in college building.

Ground 501

I managed to squeeze this game in after work I got a big confused as Full-time site said it was on Steve Prescott 3G pitch off Temple Street Beverley Road Hull.

After watching on the 3G pitch for a few minutes realised the teams playing were not Hull or Pocklington.

There was a grass pitch at the college ground and these were my team's.It was just a roped off pitch with a couple of basic dugouts.

The game was hard fought on a very bobbly pitch and the league leaders just about deserved to shade it.

New Grounds 2019/20 :28
Total Games :38
Total Goals : 113
Av Goals Per Game : 2.95
Last new Ground: 27/11/19 Dover Athletic 3 Maidenhead United 4
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1008 Rainham

noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 6:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 81 (12459 views)
Shortcut

Horncastle T 4 Epworth Town Colts 0
Lincolnshire Junior Cup

I've been wanting to do this one for ages, and a cup tie against a team now from the Central Midlands League seemed a better opportunity than a Lincolnshire League game.
Horncastle started brighter but Epworth started to come into the game, only to concede an own goal about ten minutes from the break.
The home side started the second much the better side too, this time scoring direct from a free kick about five minutes in. Their other two goals came near the end, with the visitors fading and rarely threatening.
The ground is in a large public space, so no admission can be taken, but it is floodlit, rarely used,and the club house and changing block is large and impressive, funded by the FA foundation four years ago. A bit of cover too in front, not necessary today. Two more grass pitches at the rear, and a full sized 3g, but marked out for hockey.
I had checked with the secretary this morning to confirm no frost problems etc, and both he and the president sought me out at the game, with a free badge and coffee for my troubles.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Jan 5, 2019, 6:30 PM)

stingray
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 6:32 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #8 of 81 (12434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands League Premier
LEVERSTOCK GREEN 2-2 ARLESEY TOWN
Admission £7.00 Prog £1.00 2x 50/50 draw (didn't win) £2.00 2x Tea £2.40
Attendance n/k but I suspect about half were from Arlesey

A welcome return to Pancake Lane for my first game of 2019. The Arleseyfolk descended upon the Borough of Dacorum in their masses - so much so that cars were parked along almost the entire length of the rail behind the goal. Unfortunately they didn't have much to shout about as it took the players a while to get into their stride with Leverstock Green taking the lead after 33 minutes but then suddenly they woke up and within four minutes they were level after a rather hefty challenge in the area brought about the obvious sanction which was seized on with aplomb to send the sides in level pegging at half time. The nightmare of last week's defeat at Crawley Green seemed to have been exorcised when they went 2-1 ahead, but an added time penalty of their own gave the Pancakes a well-earned point.

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jan 5, 2019, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #9 of 81 (12392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh National League Premier Division. KO14:00. (F&N). Crowd 39.

Brickfield Rangers 2 v 2 Chirk AAA

The ground in Homestead Lane, opposite Clywedog school is undergoing several improvements and now has hard standing on one side and both ends. The nearside has a sizeable covered terrace and the ends have in excess of 300 seats, all under cover as well. Clubhouse provided the usual refreshments and the school opposite opened their gates to allow plenty of parking.

Although goal less the first half provided and absorbing encounter with the visitors picking up 3 yellow cards and missing a penalty. In the second period the home side took the lead only to concede within 2 minutes. Chirk went in front a little later but failed to hold on with Rangers scoring on 90 minutes.

Thoroughly enjoyable day out, very friendly club and Barry the referee had an excellent game. First time I have heard all the players call the ref by his first name! Clearly very well known and respected.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 5, 2019, 6:42 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #10 of 81 (12384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.

Atherstone Town 1 Leicester Road 2.

Adm £6
Prog £1.50 (awful)
Att 256 (announced)
Carling £3.60.

Knitters won this A5 derby without even getting into second gear, let alone out of it!! A goal down midway through the first half then a couple before the break and it was job done. LR pulled off the main forward with 25 left and just sat back and on not one occasion did Adders threaten to level things up. You know the writing is on the wall when home fans turn against you and although the season has a long way to go I can't see Adders finishing above Heather or Warwick putting in a shift as abject as this. Three weeks since my last visit to this place (v Hinckley AFC) and the portacabin toilets have gone downhill in this short space of time and the rest of the ground will surely follow unless something is done with it one way or another.

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #11 of 81 (12354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bakewell Town 0 Rowsley 86 2
CML One South
h/t 0-1
h/c 30

Decided to do this game rather than follow bottom of the table Steels. This was a decent game played in a balmy 8 degrees according to the car's thermometer. Rowsley took the lead just before H/T with a penalty, they added their second about ten minutes before the end.

Pleasant enough re-visit, although I thought the old pitch was nearer the cricket pavilion than it is now. Old markings were there to see on the grass. Hot drinks avalable from the pavilion.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #12 of 81 (12332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Uhlsport Hellenic Premier
The Northcourt
Abingdon United 1 Bishops Cleeve 2
Admission: £5 Paper not offered Attendance: 26

A cracking little tick; loved the ground and ever so friendly people who run the club. Also the best Step 5 game I've seen this season. Home side are obviously struggling but never gave up their philosophy of play from the back. Visitors were more muscular and direct.
Home side deservedly led on 26 with a looping header, A couple of scares dealt with by the admirable home keeper. HT 1-0.
Cleeve were becoming desperate as all their efforts were coming to nought but squeezed two goals in on 70 and 84 to nick the three points. A shame as I felt the home side deserved something.
Easy drive home via A420 and M4.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

osborne
First Team Sub

Jan 5, 2019, 7:13 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #13 of 81 (12228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brocton 4 Heather 7 Midland League Division 1
Admission £5/£3
Programme £1
Tea £1
I had driven home from Coventry this morning and I decided against a long trip. I saw this fixture and I decided to re-visit Brocton's ground. Since my last visit a new bar has opened up at the ground. It sold a real ale from Slaters Brewery.
The game was amazing with Heather taking the lead after just 12 seconds only for Brocton to equalise in the second minute of the game. From then on Heather took the lead to make it 2-1 and the scoring went 2-2, s-2 and half time was reached at 3-3. The second half saw Brocton take the lead and Heather struggled to put any passes together. The Heather manager made a double substitution and almost immediately after they were awarded a penalty. They made it 4-4 from the spot and then went on to score 3 more goals including a cracker from the substitute. They should have had a second penalty when their striker was pushed over in the box but amazingly the referee waved play on.
Another cracking game involving Heather but I'd worry about their defending when they come against Warwick or the other title challengers.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #14 of 81 (12206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wormley Rovers 2 Frenford 1
Thurlow Nunn Eastern Senior League Div 1 South
Att; 34 (H/C)
Admission £5 Programme “Online mate” (Having then checked the online programme relates to game on 29th December, nothing for today)

A quite decent game as two of the new additions to step 6 went head to head. The game was deservedly won by the home side who looked a real threat until the final third and played some very good football. Frenford for their part were organised but failed to test the home keeper. The deadlock was broken on the half hour when my man of the match Davy Edmee got to the by line and his cross was headed back across the keeper into the bottom corner. Edmee is lightning quick, and his pace and ability caused problems all game for the visitors but although they had possession, Wormley just lacked that cutting edge and to be fair Frenford defended well. The second came with 7 to go the game being wrapped up with another good goal. A long ball was flicked on and driven home first time from wide into the bottom far corner of the net.
Frenford had one disallowed shortly after for offside and Wormley comfortably saw the game out.
Wormley Playing fields on Church Lane is the home ground for the Rovers, a venue they share with the cricket club, whose pitch takes up one side of the footy pitch. This is completely railed off allowing spectators to watch from there, and curiously there are three floodligh pylons on this side which appear permanent, although I do stand to be corrected , thus being on the cricket outfield. The remainder of the pitch is flat standing other than a small shelter with room for 20 odd on the other side between the dugouts. A large social club and a decent cafe complete a pleasant set up.
Only one left now to complete this league, that being today’s away team, Frenford.

BigLesWade
Youth Team Sub

Jan 5, 2019, 7:23 PM

Team(s): West Ham,, Biggleswade Town, Stevenage FC

Post #15 of 81 (12181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Biggleswade Town 1 St. Ives Town 0
Southern League Premier Central
Adm. £8 Att: 207

A hard fought victory for the home side that keeps them in the play-off race.
The first half was pretty even with the Waders shading it but some good saves at both ends kept the score line blank.
The second half followed a similar pattern but the home side secured the points when Liam Brooks drove home a fierce shot after 64 minutes.

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #16 of 81 (11807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigLesWade] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leicestershire Senior League Division One Magna 73 4 Earl Shilton Albion 1 No admission or programme. Attendance 17.
The ground, which is signposted, is on the outskirts of Countesthorpe a large South Leicestershire village. There are several junior pitches on one side of the modern well appointed clubhouse wbich was selling hot drinks and pies at half-time. On the other side of the clubhouse is the senior pitch which is railed off on three sides with just netting behind the far goal beyond which is a cricket pitch. Dugouts are on the near side of the pitch.
At this level it is club assistants but fortunately the very experienced referee had no problem controlling two very well behaved teams who were evenly matched for most of the game, although after a first minute goal for the visitors Magna gradually gained control and eventually ran out easy winners.
For both Warwickian and myself this was a champagne job and we celebrated with visits to three local GBG entries which sadly were all rather ordinary.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 5, 2019, 8:29 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #17 of 81 (11743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigLesWade] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Godmanchester Rovers 1 Sporting Khalsa 0 (HT 0-0)
FA Vase, Round Four
Admission £6
Programme £1 (40pp, no better than average)
Attendance 252 (Hunts Post tweet)
Refreshments available (didn't bother)

Eastern Counties League Premier Division leaders Goddy Rovers eased for the first time into the last 16 of the FA Vase with a victory much more emphatic than the score suggests. The hosts went close on five occasions before bagging a 58th-minute winner, while the visitors, from the upper reaches of the Midland League Premier Division, mustered barely a single noteworthy effort on target, despite enjoying long spells of territorial domination.

Rovers skipper Micky Hyem (31mins) was denied in a one-on-one before the visiting keeper reacted well a second time to turn a Joe Furness (33mins) free-kick on to the crossbar. Hyem (40mins), through on goal again, didn't chip high enough to beat the alert Khalsa keeper. Jack Chandler (47mins) lobbed wide after springing the offside trap and unmarked Austen Diaper (54mins), seizing on a kind ricochet, somehow failed to find the net from 10 yards. Khalsa, persisting with a poorly marshalled high line, finally went behind on the hour when Charlie Bowen crossed low from the right and Hyem, alone in front of goal, clipped neatly into the net. Khalsa pressed strongly during the closing stages without threatening an equaliser. Overall, a decent cup-tie played at a good tempo. Spent the game in the enjoyable company of a sixty-something Millwall supporter who moved to Huntingdon 30 years ago.

Godmanchester is a pretty little town (certainly in the vicinity of the Chinese Bridge over the Ouse and the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin), but Rovers' functional set-up wouldn't win any beauty contest. Located south of the centre, just off the A1198, at a point where the main road heads out into the sticks, Bearscroft Lane (aka the David Wilson Homes Ground) is wholly unremarkable. To the casual observer, it appears in danger of becoming swamped by new houses. A large estate - Romans' Edge (yuk) - immediately to the north is an imposing presence, and I was told planners have given the go-ahead for another to the south. An official indicated Rovers wouldn't mind David Wilson Homes making them an offer for the land the club owns; an offer that would include building a new ground elsewhere. Rovers have a brownfield site in mind.

The present ground, accessed via a single-track, unmade lane, has four areas of simple cover. Three (including two all-seat kit stands) are on the near (north) side. The clubhouse, easily the smartest bit of the ground, is on the same side, in the northwest corner, albeit at a lower level. A plaque reveals it was opened in 2012 by Sir John Major, former Huntingdon MP and owner of a sizeable residence nearby. The fourth cover is in the same corner, on the other side of the flag. The pitch, a real pudding this afternoon, slopes downhill from south to north. The spire of St Mary's is visible over the rooftops of Romans' Edge's semis. Other than that, there isn't any sort of backdrop, scenic or otherwise. To the south of the ground are three other pitches (only one of them adult size), and beyond those the tilled field destined to become houses. I guess Godmanchester's proximity to the A1 and A14 makes it perfect for expansion.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 5, 2019, 9:28 PM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 5, 2019, 8:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 81 (11709 views)
Shortcut

Felixstowe 3-0 Coggeshall
Bostik North
Adm £8/5, prog £2, plenty left when I looked.
Att 560, Olly factor helped, plus the families of the numerous mascots, so probably only 400 paid as kids are free.
At half time we’d have accepted a point, Coggeshall were the better side and we hadn’t really threatened. 2nd half Coggeshall were still on top but a breakaway goal on the hour gave us the lead and confidence just grew. On 73 minutes a brilliant leap and header from our centre half put us 2 up from a corner, then the same player humped an aimless ball forward, but it bounced over the keeper.
After 7 games without a win this was a big relief and certainly scoffs any talk of a relegation battle.
As expected our famous guest stayed behind after the game for selfies etc, even this sad git had to get his wife’s CD signed, first time I’ve asked someone of an autograph since I was a very little boy.

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Jan 5, 2019, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #19 of 81 (11622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A drive down to The Mayfield Stadium. KO 3.00pm.

Southern Counties East League Premier Division.

AFC CROYDON ATHLETIC 1 (1) v (0) K SPORTS 2.

Scorers.

Home. J Thoroughgood (22)

Away. C Smith (51) S Stace (54)

Admission £7. Programme £2. Pin Badge £3.50. Attendance 62.

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 5, 2019, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #20 of 81 (11566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bearsted 1-2aet Abbey Rangers
FA Vase 4th round

Not a huge amout in this until just before half time, both teams had chances, but one early effort cleared off the line there wasn't too much to show for it. Abbey on the whole looked the more composed on the ball, but Bearsted threatened on the break. Shortly before the interval the home captain was sent off for two quick yellow cards, perhaps a little unfortunate to go. Within a few minutes the visitors took the lead after the home keeper cleared a ball with very little power straight to a waiting striker. After the break Bearsted coped well without their full ocmpletment of players, attacked frequently, but were thanfully that their keeper managed to pull off a very good save from a header aimed low. They deservedly equalised late on, the home fans near me thought at first the player concenered had taken too many touches, but the finish was well placed. Soon after they nearly won it, the Abbey keeper was at full stretch to keep a effort out. Into a very cold extra time, the hosts had more of the play, but were caught out early in the second added period. A decent cup tie.

The ground is down a rough track, with plenty of parking available. Despite having to park round the trees, good stewarding ensured everyone was neat and it was only shortly before the start that new arrivals were forced to park on the lane (which was wide enough). All spectator facilities are down the entrance side, with seating and standing cover. The cafe was warm, but very busy today, the club also having a small tea bar outside and both were well used. Dugouts on the far side next to what must once have been a very tall hedge separating the second pitch (roped with dugouts) and a junior pitch (also with dugouts). Just to the west there looks to be a new housing development taking place, so the rural outlook of the place wont last for long.

Karb
First Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 8:54 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #21 of 81 (11563 views)
Shortcut

West Midlands (Regional) League Division Two
Hawkins Sports 1-1 Warstones Wanderers
F&N, Att: 10 (h/c)

When an unexpected free few hours present themselves on a Saturday afternoon, what else is there to do but look for a local match. Today, this meant a trip to League newcomers Hawkins.

A good welcome from one of the coaching staff, and the lady behind the bar was the highlight of the day. The match itself was poor fare, not helped by a very bumpy pitch.

At kick off, I was the only spectator, but this swelled to double figures by the second half. The first half was goalless, but the visitors took the lead on 61 minutes when a left wing corner was met by number 9 at the near post, and his flicked header beat the keeper. Hawkins pushed forward for the remainder of the game, and got their reward on 86 minutes when number 9, at the far post, had time to bring down a cross from the right, and fire past the keeper.

A decent clubhouse and reasonable amount of car parking is available, though watch for the one way system. The ground itself, is simply a field, shared with the cricket club, roped off on the near side. The pitch slopes from the car park end to the far goal, and there is no cover or hard standing.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Jan 5, 2019, 8:56 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #22 of 81 (11550 views)
Shortcut

Southern League Division 1 Central
Kempston Rovers 2 Yaxley 2

Admission: Free (one of the complementary guests for Yaxley), Programme: Online only, but small 4-page issue with teamsheet distributed in the boardroom and given at the turnstiles
Attendance: 101 (official)

A real end-to-end encounter here, with a draw ultimately being a fair result despite some strong late pressure from Kempston after we were reduced to ten men.

The initial stages of this game saw both teams go straight on the attack, with Kempston just having the better of the early chances as we grew into the game. In the 17th minute, the home side took the lead after a poor defensive clearance gave Dan Clifton a chance to shoot from the edge of the box, his shot sneaking into the bottom corner. A Kempston fan near me was pleased but claimed that his side's lead wouldn't last long, and so it proved when we equalised two minutes later: some neat interplay between Fraser Sturgess and Joe Butterworth eventually saw the ball find its way to Dan Cotton, whose shot from the edge of the box was poked past Kempston keeper Carl Knox by the boot of Sturgess.

It only took another three minutes for Kempston to reclaim their lead though, an Izale McLeod shot blocked by Sam Spencer and then falling kindly for Shane Bush to finish on the rebound. Not long after this, it should have been 2-2 as a Dan Cotton corner was headed in at the near post, but the referee gave a foul, although what for is anyone's guess! The rest of the half saw us pushing for the equaliser while dealing with Kempston counterattacks, but there weren't too many clear-cut chances for either side. In fact, it was looking highly likely that we would be going into half-time a goal down, but in the 42nd minute we were given a penalty after a Kempston defender was judged to have handled the ball. Cotton stepped up to take the penalty and calmly converted to take us into half-time on level terms.

The second half was not quite as eventful as the first, but did at least start in the same end-to-end fashion at the first. However, it soon became apparent that our performance levels were dropping and this saw Kempston gradually push higher and higher and limit us mainly to counterattacks. This saw us commit a few risky fouls in places, but we weren't made to really pay for this until the 77th minute when, after tackling a Kempston player just outside the box, Charley Sanders received his second yellow and was sent off. With us down to ten men, Kempston tried to take immediate advantage from McLeod's free kick, but James Blake made an excellent fingertip save to tip it past the post.

Despite massive Kempston pressure, we brought on Tom Waumsley for the last five minutes (for his first appearance in almost a month) in an attempt to steal the three points on the counter, but the best effort we had was a Dan Cotton shot from just outside the box that went mere inches wide of the far post. Instead, it was Kempston who came closest to winning when the ball fell to an unmarked McLeod six yards out, only for him to somehow place his effort wide of the post (just one of several sitters he missed throughout the game).

So, on the whole, a point was a fair result and a decent response to our disappointing defeat on New Year's Day, especially after being down to ten men for the last 15 minutes. The team dug in well to hold on, but also did well to create a few chances and almost claim the victory. Good performance from Dalton Harris today, placing good pressure on the Kempston defence and making some intelligent runs in the final third; he is steadily improving with each game and will surely find the net soon.

MOTM: Fraser Sturgess (some excellent through balls and passes to aid our attacks, as well as a goal)

A few obnoxiously-loud fans aside, Kempston were a very friendly club and provided good pre-match and post-match hospitality. The ground was decent as well: all the cover on one side, with the stand having a mixture of seating and standing cover.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Jan 5, 2019, 9:05 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 5, 2019, 9:19 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #23 of 81 (11385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2pm
Cumberland County League, Division One
Silloth 7 Borough 3 (att 20 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

I'd seen Silloth's Eden Street ground on previous (non-groundhopping) visits to the town, and had been keen to return for a game for some time. It's not the easiest place to get to, and even by Cumbrian standards it has the feel of a remote outpost.

The ground is worth the effort though, at least for those don't require seats. The pitch is enclosed and railed off, with the exception of one end, there's dugouts, and covered standing in front of the building that houses the changing rooms. The complex also houses Silloth's rugby union ground, and the rugby social club is also pitchside.

The Eden Street side of the ground has a grass bank, but rather than clamber up the damp grass the best place to watch from is from Eden Street itself. The road is elevated above the pitch and the stone wall is the perfect shape and height to lean on while watching the action.

There was plenty of action to keep the small crowd entertained in this match. Borough opened the scoring early on, and despite a Silloth equaliser the visitors were 2-1 up at half time. Silloth were transformed after the break though, and were 7-2 up before Borough got the game's final goal.

Words and pictures on my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...lloth-v-borough.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Steveb on Jan 5, 2019, 9:20 PM)

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jan 5, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #24 of 81 (11309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 5th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chameleon Midlands Regional Alliance Drayton PACS Division One
Netherseal St. Peter's Sports 0 Asha Reserves 0
No admission, prog donation (£1)
No refreshments although the social club looked to be open at the end of the game
Att. 15

Took advantage of this club currently issuing and it seems to have been a good idea despite the score as the suggestion was they may not be at this venue too long. The prog was a decent effort and done by the same person that issued for Moira United in recent seasons.

For the kits think of the 1974 World Cup Final West Germany v Holland. The visitors bosses much of the first half but all chances were off target bar one which produced a fine save. After the break the hosts dominated. Whether the pitch slope affected this who knows? They twice hit the woodwork and had one cleared off the line plus a late strong penalty claim turned down. Sadly it stayed goalless, my first since April 2018 but was not a bad game for all that.

The pitch is on the edge of the village behind the sports club and a bowling green. It is fully enclosed and has some cover/dug outs on halfway although neither side used it as dug outs today, but it was a dry afternoon. No other football furniture though. The surface was pretty bobbly which did not help with creating scoring chances but still allowed for a competitive game.

No pre match refreshments today, instead opting for a circular walk on footpaths and lanes. Did spot real ale in the pub in the village, The Seal. Looked like GK Abbott but did not call in.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 5, 2019, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #25 of 81 (11303 views)
Shortcut

Portishead Town 4 Bristol Telephones 2
Western League Division 1
Admission £5 Programme £1

Surprisingly light traffic both ways on the M4 got me to Portishead in good time for this battle between the bottom two teams in the league. Against the run of play The Phones scored after half an hour, but 2 goals in a minute just prior to half time, and a third shortly after the restart put the hosts in control. While the visitors had a better second half, they failed to score again until 5 minutes from time, but the look of a comeback was short lived as Portishead scored again in the 90th minute, to leave The Phones rooted to the bottom of the table. Cover at the ground is supplied by a small seated identikit stand on the far side, whilst immediately inside the entrance is a breeze block building, with one side removed to allow viewing. However it is not ideal, as it is set slightly back from the pitch, and viewing is obscured by the turnstile block. A portacabin housing the changing rooms and tea bar is also located down this side. Programme was a 16 page colour non glossy affair, containing all the essentials.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

(This post was edited by nervous rec on Jan 5, 2019, 9:34 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3