Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 22nd December 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 23, 2018, 12:38 PM

Post #51 of 74 (10927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic League 2 East
TAPLOW TOWN vs Long Crendon
F&N

A champagne job for this Division, always providing Headington Amateurs are currently playing at either of their two Grounds visited.

The Ground is just off the A4 Bath Road around a mile from the village, other than the dug outs and railed on 3 sides, no other furniture. The first floor Club Bar was open but not open, although an official did enter to make tea for the three hoppers, Tram and Grantastic Vince also, whilst he had a camera not sure it was used. The Official was next seen running the line. The Pitch was firm but the remainder of the field including another full size and junior pitches were boggy.

Long Crendon arrived top of the League having won all of their 9 games and from the start had the far better Players, what TAPLOW had was energy and willingness to work, although it was with some surprise scored midway thru the half with a wall taken Goal, then allowed the visitors to equalise prior to half time.

Once Long Crendon scored early in the second it was all one way traffic, notwithstanding much effort from Taplow a further 7 were added, giving a flattering final score of 1-8.

Had intended to visit Slough Jets hockey just a few miles down the Road, however with the early kick off managed to get back to Streatham with 5 minutes to spare, before an on time start of 17.30, unfortunately another defeat to Romford 2-4

The crowd at Taplow never reached double figures.

(This post was edited by The Wall on Dec 23, 2018, 12:41 PM)

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 23, 2018, 12:56 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #52 of 74 (10871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Championship

MadStad - ST duty

Royals 0-1 Middlesboro

Att : just under 15k - good turnout from the 'boro.

Match : last game with u23's coach Scott Marshall in charge. To compensate for 5 CBs on the wounded list he dipped into his u23 pot and pulled out Osho for his debut, to partner Tyler Blackett at CB and the pair did very well for the first time together.
Omar Richards also from the Academy restored at left back - though he isn't fully fit either but considered a lesser risk than Gunter - who reportedly had a niggle.

We looked neat and pleasant with the ball and gave 'boro the run around for long periods but as per the previous game vs the 'Blunts' we never looked liked scoring and faded as the game wound down.
It became inevitable that there would be a mistake at the back and it came late on; two players chased the same ball out wide and left a man unmarked (Friend) in the middle - who drove in from close range.

Baldock up front was usually off the pace or muscled off the ball. Barrow showed some glimpses but vanished out wide for long periods - possibly should have tracked back to help down the left when 'boro finally pressed and grabbed the winner. Bacuna was a beast until he tired late on. Rinomhota continued to show promise alongside him. Sims on the other flank flitted in an out of the game.

New man in charge was announced immediately after the game - relatively unknown Portuguese chap called Jose (no not THAT one!) Lets hope we've unearthed something 'special' cos the fans won't be too patient with him the state we are in currently.

Boro on a poor run were delighted to grab a scarcely deserved maximum but they could only do what we let them - overall they were desperately underwhelming - strong work-rate though.

Quite a baptism up first for him as we trundle over to the New Den on Boxing Day. Unsure

Turbine View
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 23, 2018, 2:05 PM

Team(s): Cromer Town, Sheringham, Norwich City, Runton Utd.

Post #53 of 74 (10638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2 games for pre Christmas Saturday; Monmouth 0 Caldicote(1)2 Att 78hc (Welsh 2) Entry £5 inc a glossy prog, Christmas themed, but lacking content. Hot drinks in nice clubhouse, 50p, complimentary nibbles, inc, chtisps cheese savouries and lots of free sweets. a really warm welcome on and off the pitch as visitors picked up a surprise 3pts. Architects plans up for new ground, which look like a 90% turn and shift towards clubhouse, not sure if 3G, but a 250 seater stand included. Then Barry (1)2 Caernarfon(1) 1 Att 478 Entry £7 Prog £2 (glossy, well presented and with a monopoly mock up on cover) Hot drinks from friendly ladies on table again in clubhouse £1 and delicious packs of Border biscuits 50p. Smoky burger van outside on athletics track.(not for me). Great atmosphere for the live evening S4C's main event live game, with both sets of fans mingling in 2nd half, producing handbags at times, all very noisy and a massive firworks display over the 'Island' adding to the furore.

Have no Plan A and apply it rigidly..

richiejenn
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2018, 2:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #54 of 74 (10543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Turbine View] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 22nd December 2018 @3pm
National League Premier
MAIDSTONE UNITED 2-3 GATESHEAD
Gallagher Stadium

Admission: £15
Programme:£3
Attendance: 2,141 (27 away)

Original choice of match was Uckfield v Newhaven but that game was called off as we dropped my brother off on the Sussex coast so Plan B was put into place.

Stones manager Harry Wheeler continues the cull of Jay Saunders players. There's now just a handful left in the squad that started the season. The latest signing is another ex-Billericay player, Jake Robinson. A change of formation with a back three, all of which are not known as centre backs. Things looked good for the first 15 mins before Gateshead moved up the gears and outplayed Stones like a knife through butter. By 50 minutes the game seemed over at 3-0 but a last ditch 15 minute surge brought the score back to one in it but couldn't get the undeserved equaliser.

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 23, 2018, 4:41 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #55 of 74 (10096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

L'Assaut de Saint Pierre 1-2 Club Franciscain
Admission €8. Attendance ~350
Stade Paul Pierre-Charles

Based on my other matches in this league, my expectations were low. After Friday's results, Assaut had dropped to bottom of the league after Friday's results. Franciscain are top. I expected the visitors to do the minimum required to take the points and then play a risk averse strategy where no risk existed.

This is not what happened.

But first the ground. This is the worst of the four I have been to on Martinique, and hence the most interesting. It has a track that is breaking up in places and clearly has seen better days

The stand is quite old, and should seat around 500 taking up the middle third of one side. There are roof supports, but nothing is supported. Wooden slats have been bolted to metal which in turn comes out of the concrete base to provide seating. That means a span of around 10 metres between supports. As I walk across these, they move in a most perturbing way. When I leave me seat later, I make sure I drop down the levels when the wood is supported, until I reach the concrete path at the bottom.

The desire to over fence which I have seen at the other grounds continues here. With high wire fencing not only around the outside of the track, but also covering a section above the players tunnel from the stand, nowhere in the seated area has a perfect view. In fact, a good portion of the ground are watching by standing against the fence to one side of the stand.

This is, of course, because it means the bar is behind them.

On the opposite side of the ground to the stand, there is a steep slope, close enough to 45 degrees. A fair number of people are watching under the shade of trees at the top of this. While putting them a long way from the pitch, they do have the advantage of the fence not being in the way.

I tried to get up there at the start of the second half, but the slope is covered with a scree of small round nutshells. It moves under my feet and I cannot make the climb. I did see some locals make it, but I think most of this group had entered from the field behind, avoiding the need to pay their €8 to enter.

If the Franciscains can retain the title, they will equal Club Colonial's record of 19 titles here. They are the dominant club with all but one title being since 1994, and a run of nine successive titles from 1999. The last of Assaut's five championships came in 1974.

The game started with the visitors dominant, as one might expect, and they took the lead after just 13 minutes. However, it was clear that Assaut, playing a 4-4-2 formation were not content to allow them an easy ride. They gave almost as good as they received and the rest of the half was an entertaing battle as both sides worked hard to create chances. It was good, for the only time while I have been on this island to see both teams adopt an attacking style of play.

Eleven minutes after the break, Franciscain scored their second. It was good to see that they were not resting on this, and continued to strive, and that the home side continued to press to get back into the game.

I was actually relieved to see a missed chance when the referee, (in my humble opinion) got an offside call badly wrong. A pass was made to the right wing who was well offside and the flag went up. However, the winger just managed to escape contact with the ball and another player took up the running and crossed it to the far side, where the shot hit the post.

The small reward that Assaut got was through a penalty, eight minutes from time. A blocking tackle that was slightly mistimed.

This led to a good finale, with the visitors still trying to push to get a third until the end, and at the same time needing to be on defensive guard.

I do see Franciscain as likely champions, they were much better than others I have seen, and I hope Assaut get the points they need to pull away from the bottom. I would much prefer a team that tries to win getting the reward, rather than someone like Lorrain who set out their stall the night before in 6-3-1 (with no attacking midfielders) and would have tried to stifle the game if they had not gone behind quickly.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Dec 23, 2018, 6:00 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #56 of 74 (9813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evostik League Division One East
Spalding United 1 Cleethorpes Town 2
Att: 133 (15 away) Adm: comp (usually £8) Prog: comp (usually £2)

To start with the question that I posed in my report from last weekend - can we keep our nemesis Kieran Wells quiet?! Unfortunately the answer was "no", with the well-travelled and prolific striker netting the equaliser in the 56th minute. However, this was not enough for the Tulips, who lost out to goals from Josh Batty on 36 and a header from Scott Vernon with 10 left to play.

It was certainly not a game for the purist, with plenty of robust challenges on a gluepot pitch. Divided opinion in the bar afterwards about the fairness of the result and Spalding felt they deserved a draw. They had a point, as a pivotal moment was them being denied a clear penalty for handball with the score 0-0.

For my part, I thought Clee edged it, particularly in terms of creativity. Our good run goes on, with a very nice return of 13 points from the last 6 outings. Should be a decent fixture on Boxing Day at home to Lincoln United.

Like the set-up at the Sir Halley Stewart and the chairman / secretary made themselves available for a pre- and post-match chat. Plenty of decent food and drink on offer, with the Christmas raffle in full swing when the Clee contingent headed home. It's certainly a pity that the Tulips do not attract higher attendances. Back at Linden for a quarter past 7 - a good day out to start the festive period.

2019/20 season: 21 competitive games
(13 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 3 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 Lincs Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 85 (4.0 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 20)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

(This post was edited by CleethorpesOggy on Dec 23, 2018, 6:01 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 23, 2018, 6:01 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #57 of 74 (9808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Mids Prem : Crawley Green 3 Leighton Town 1. Admission £6/£3; Programme £1. Attendance 52

An "interesting" journey down of 140 miles as satnav took me all the way down the M40 to the M25 arriving in Luton via the M1 north which had certainly not been in my thinking. Fortunately our route was only affected once, and that briefly, by a shunt but we saw loads on the other carriageway in addition to those that satnav was avoiding; reminds me of a very old Jasper Carrott routine which I've connected to Mrs B a few times over the years, but I digress.......
I've seen this ground many times en route to nearby Luton Airport and somehow missed it during Vauxhall Motors days in the Isthmian League and whilst it may have been a "waste" of a 3G pitch on a very mlld afternoon, it removed any uncertainty about whether or not we'd have a game with random venues again falling victim to Friday's monsoon. This is of course a Luton Town facility these days and it's certainly well tended-to. Very limited parking inside but enough for today. There's a small canteen with a few rolls on offer plus hot drinks/snacks but no bar. As already mentioned, a pleasing wooden stand accomodating perhaps 100 sits on the side on which you enter with a very small lean-to cover toward the corner; other than that, just flat standing except for a few steps of terracing behind one goal but all very tidy with an immaculate playing surface.
My visit to Crawley Green's own ground was on December 27th 1999 when I saw them beat Leighton Athletic 3-0 in South Mids Div 1 in what turned out to be Leighton Athletic's last season at that (or any??) level. Today's opponents were Leighton Town, back in famiiar surrounds after the best part of 25 years playing at Isthmian or Southern League level. They brought a few fans with them, none of them obvious scrotes and none of them Stingray of this parish either.
As reported, Leighton gave as good as they got but couldn't score; Crawley Green on the other hand were clinical and netted three times before the break to more or less end the contest by half-way. They eased off a tad in the second period but Leighton will still think they should have had a point out of this.
Good to see Tim appear for this; he headed homeward at the end while my carload including catchagogoal and karb decamped for an entertaining hour's chinwag at the pleasant Cuckoo on the village green in nearby Toddington where the homemade Corned Beef hash scotch egg was wonderful. Just the 90 mile return journey and key in door for 9.
Thanks to all for the Birthday greetings yesterday; though I've long stopped counting the numbers, it is good to be around to clock another one up.
I thus propose a seasonal toast to all, posters or otherwise, and a moment's thought for those we've lost in the year.

The Moose
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2018, 6:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #58 of 74 (9710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LGE TWO: YEOVIL TOWN 1 NORTHAMPTON TOWN 1

TKT: £21. PROG: £3. ATT: 3,193

First trip to HP this season & a long overdue footy catch up with some old oppos. As was always thus, the pre match banter over a few sherbets was much better than the footy on offer. The last five seasons have been poor quality fodder, so it beggars belief they extended the managers contract recently.

Match wise, there was 87 minutes of total dross followed by two minutes of festive frivolity. Cobblers thought they’d stolen it late on, before a Yeboahesque volley rescued a point for the Glovers. It seems Yeovil’s only ambition each season is to finish above the bottom two. Based on this performance, they’ll probably achieve it again just about!

No changes to the ground unfortunately, that still has an uncovered terrace for any visitors. Also a tent is also in use as a clubhouse, which is very poor in this day & age. A decent non league ground yes, but not one of the better ones within the 92 IMHO. It may help if there’s a few changes in the boardroom, so further investment could happen. More likely that Christmas gets postponed due to pesky hogs however :-(

KRTM :-)

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 23, 2018, 7:08 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #59 of 74 (9527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky Bet Championship

Brentford (0) 1 v 0 (0) Bolton Wanderers

Season Ticket Programme £3.50 Attendance 10512 (Away Fans 961)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 19
Last New Ground : Yaxley 15th December 2018

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Dec 23, 2018, 9:58 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #60 of 74 (8961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evo-Stik League Division One West
Atherton Collieries 2 Glossop North End 1
Attendance 304
Admission by season ticket

A very decent game in front of a very decent crowd in very awful weather. Colls raced in to a 2-0 lead inside 12 minutes, struggling Glossop halving the deficit just after the hour and looking on for an unlikely point when they were awarded a stoppage time penalty, only for Greg Hartley to come up with a terrific save and take Colls up to second spot.

Heavy downpours throughout the game but the pitch held up remarkably well. Undoubtedly karma for mentioning pre-match that there hasn’t yet been the annual ‘mud bath’ game that wrecks the pitch for the next couple of months. No sign of that this time around, all being well.

The snapper
Junior Team Sub

Dec 23, 2018, 10:09 PM

Post #61 of 74 (8929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bostik League South East Division
Attendance 223

Haywards Heath Town played Horsham in a Bostik League South East Division game. The Heath had previously beaten Horsham in the league at Lancing and went into this game on a 8 game unbeaten run. Horsham came into the game having beaten league leaders Cray last week. The first half was very even and it was in the first 5 minutes of the second half that the game to come to life. On 47 minutes Karly Akehurst headed home the opening goal. Two minutes later Horsham defender Joe Shelley received his second yellow card. The Heath took advantage of the extra man and on 68 minutes were awarded a penalty that Callum Saunders converted. The Heath are now level on points with Hastings United and Horsham in joint third place.

My photos can be viewed here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sussex-football/albums/72157704909347725

morecambewba
Youth Team Regular

Dec 24, 2018, 9:28 AM

Team(s): west brom, morecambe, besitkas.

Post #62 of 74 (7855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The snapper] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CHORLEY 2 BLYTH SPARTANS 4
NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH#
ATT 1076
ADMISSION £9 CONCESSION
PROGRAMME £2.50
PIE PEAS AND GRAVY £3.80

My annual trip to Chorley , to one of my favourite grounds. I always seem to see eventful games here and today I am not disappointed.
Chorley are top and Blyth are on a good run. I saw Blyth last week at Lancaster and was impressed.
The first half was mainly controlled by the home side and the Blyth keeper made 2 important saves before Blyth took the lead in the 38th minute with a penalty and then went 2-0 up in 44 minutes with a beautiful goal from the edge of the box. Chorley got one back a minute later with a header.
thank goodness there is a window in the tea bar or else i would have missed both of these last 2 goals. I went to longridge a few weeks ago and went inside for a tea and missed a goal. it couldnt happen again could it?? to beat the queue for pies i went into the chorley tea room on what i thought was 45 minutes!!
in fact i had just bought my pie and turned round just in time to see the second blyth goal which was the best of the game
Chorley equalised after 55 minutes and it was a fairly even game now but blyth just dug in .
Blyth substitiute holmes sealed a win with a penalty and another goal in the last 15 minutes.A deserved win for blyth due to their hard work but chorley also played their part in a very enjoyable game
Both games could have scored more goals with better finishing and both keepers made some telling saves. it could have ended 6-6
Great noisy vocal support from the 60 or so blyth fans
A few additions to the ground since my last visit.
There is now a club shop next to the main entrance and a small cabin inside the ground selling club souvenirs. Opposite the main stand there is a small elevated seated stand which is just for sponsors etc.I which must provide a great view.
Very impressed with service in tea bar. lots of staff and work hard. no queues. The pies are as good as ever. mars bars and wagon wheels may get smaller but chorley pies seem to get bigger. i ordered peas and gravy on top. didnt need to eat for the rest of the day!!
A really good afternoon and maybe i will get another visit in this season

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 24, 2018, 11:33 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #63 of 74 (7639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Colden Common 1 Overton 1
Hampshire Premier League Senior Division
Admission Free Programme £1

As the weather was mild for the time of year, and forecast was dry, I took advantage of a step 7 game on a roped off pitch with no covered accommodation. The forecast was surprisingly incorrect, as there were showers throughout the match, but didn’t detract from an enjoyable afternoon, where two fortunate goals failed to separate the teams. Both came in the second half, firstly Overton were given a dubious free kick, from which they hit the bar and the rebound was duly scored. Then as the minutes ticked away, the hosts scored an equaliser, which the referee gave, despite the linesman flagging for offside. Trees and bushes line one side and behind one goal, while the rest of the pitch is backed onto by other pitches. There were not even any dugouts in place in this rural setting. This could be one of the last games Colden Common play at this venue, as I was informed that they are moving to Oakland’s Park, the former home of defunct club Otterbourne in January. Apparently, after years of playing there, their former home of Main Road was unsatisfactory due to the size of the changing rooms, so they moved to Boyes Lane, but the council will not grant them approval to install hard standing around the pitch, as the League rules don’t require it. Finally a word about the programme which, for this level is a gem, containing enough reading material, and plenty of stats, including results of past meetings between the two teams going back to 1985.

I was also at this ... a handy stopping point on the way (more or less) from Manchester towards family in London.

I'd read that Colden Common were moving but hadn't realised how imminent it was, so this turned out to be good tick. That said, it's a very basic ground so I wouldn't suggest people rush to Colden Common Park unless they're Hampshire Premier League completists.

The usual words and pictures are on my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...-overton-united.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Steveb on Dec 24, 2018, 12:51 PM)

villan
First Team Star

Dec 24, 2018, 12:02 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #64 of 74 (7562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [morecambewba] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plan A was a trip to Gresford but sat nav suggested my arrival would be bang on KO even if no delays. I thus decided on a nearer trip just up M6!!!!

Staffs County Senior league Premier division Eastwood Hanley 3-2 Hanley Town res ATT H/C 52 max ADM £2 Inc. decent programme

Plenty of car parking at Northwood stadium at £1.20 for 3 hours. EH play on a caged 3G adjacent to main athletics stadium. The area inside track at stadium is apparently to small to host football at this level. Looking across to main stand it seemed a long way from any potential pitch anyway. Spectator viewing is as usual limited to one side inside cage with pitch side netting lowered either side of half way to give clear views of the action. Hard standing but no seating or cover. Stadium block provides vending machine drinks & chocolate snacks & toilets but circa 50-75 yards from cage entrance. Club hope to return to their Trent Mill lane home venue at some stage if they can get planning for suitable dressing rooms. Cage pitch is good with floodlights.
A good entertaining game ensued. Visitors went 2 up by 33 mins but hosts hit back with 2 of their own, the equaliser coming in first half stoppage time. 2nd period was also even but visitors had defender sent off on 72 for an offence I did not see. It was a straight red & player suggested to his manager ref considered he had deliberately pulled attacker back by his shorts preventing goal chance. Decision surprised everyone near me including visitors bench. Game continued end to end & it was hosts who grabbed winner in stoppage time. A good afternoon with weather dry & mild.

Post match supping in Stone to avoid any contact with Stoke & Millwall supporters & excellent fare at Limestone brewery tap The Borehole & a packed Titanic Royal Exchange where Wreckage provided an excellent final half.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 26

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Dec 24, 2018, 6:15 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #65 of 74 (7017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wessex League Premier Division

Five Heads Park, Horndean

Horndean 0(0) Hamworthy United 1(1)

Red Shirts & Shorts Yellow & Black Shirts / Yellow Shorts

Attendance 64

Admission £6 Programme Free

Bacon Cheeseburger £3.50 Tea £1

Arrived just after 2 to find there was still a few parking spaces left. Didn’t bother with the clubhouse accessible from the car park. Payed my admission and helped myself to a very basic 8 page programme. There appeared to be only four or five so I was pleased I’d gone straight in. I liked Five Heads Park. Immediately to my left as I entered was the tea bar where I purchased a very acceptable bacon cheeseburger and tea. Next to the tea bar was the committee room / hospitality room. To the right as you enter is a wooden building housing the changing rooms. In front of these is a covered walkway that provides cover for those wishing to stand. Next to this structure, either side of the halfway line is a small stand with four rows of bucket seats with very limited leg room. There is no other furniture but the opposite touchline and the end behind the goal to the right are railed and paved.

The game was a close affair between two good teams well officiated by lady ref Paula Wyatt. The only goal of the game was scored in the 32nd minute by Micky Finch who ran onto a long ball rounded the home keeper and coolly side footed in. Both sides created further chances but the defences were excellent rather than the finishing poor. After the break United lost Brad Gale to a straight red after intervention by one of the linesmen. Those around me weren’t sure what offence had been committed but his team mates worked hard to preserve their lead.

(This post was edited by sheffgeoff on Dec 24, 2018, 6:17 PM)

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Dec 24, 2018, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #66 of 74 (6718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic League Division One West Newent Town 1 Kidlington Development 5 Admission £3 (concession) Programme £1 (8 pages with minimal reading) Attendance peaked at 33.

Newent are doing an awful lot of work on their ground to bring it up to Step 6 standard which was clearly evident on my arrival. My first choice had been Garstang but fortunately an early morning pitch inspection which resulted in postponement came early enough to prevent an abortive train journey. 3G Berkhamsted Raiders was my "joker" but a positive reply from Newent on such a glorious day meant that I went for Plan C. A couple of attractive GBG entries in the Forest of Dean area preceded my arrival at Wildsmith Meadow. The 100 seater stand is in the process of being constructed on the far side of the ground and follows hard on the heels of the erection of their floodlights which consist of two lots of three pylons either side of the pitch. From the first footings it looks as if it may not be an Atcost style build but time will tell. Hard standing is also in the process of being built but at present is restricted to areas behind the goal at the entrance end of the ground and on the far side, although the hard standing is being expanded all the time. Railings surround most of the pitch although these are replaced by a huge netted fence behind the goal at the entrance end where a large benched and seated area is set out in front of the clubhouse which includes changing rooms and is accessed beyond the car park that is next to the entrance.At first sight the pitch was well grassed and in good condition apart from some areas in the goalmouths but throughout the game players were slipping over for no apparent reason (the temperature was well above freezing). Dugouts are on the entrance side of the pitch where the Maiswick Arms is situated not far behind the pitch. Next to that is a private house called Willow Cottage; all in all then a most unusual set up with great praise being due to Newent who are clearly an ambitious outfit. Sadly on the pitch things are not going so well and after taking an early lead Newent were eventually overwhelmed by an impressive Kidlington outfit who moved to the top of the league after this result.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Dec 24, 2018, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #67 of 74 (6705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Colne 2-2 Newcastle Town (0-2 HT) at Holt House
Northern Premier League Division 1 West
Admission: £5 (student), Programme: £2, Tea: £1.30, Chips + gravy: £1.30
Attendance: 201

My first choice stayed on despite call offs at nearby Nelson and Padiham, so me and my Dad drove up to the end of the M65, arriving earlier than we usually do at the ground meaning we were able to secure parking.

Match was pretty entertaining, both teams clearly set out to be attacking from the start and there was plenty of incident throughout. Despite the hosts having the better of the opening stages, Newcastle took the lead in the 14th minute through a quick break down the left wing by Chris Smith before he cut inside and slotted in from a tight angle. Colne continued on top, nearly getting an equaliser 10 minutes later with a goalmouth scramble resulting in a goal-line clearance and defenders' bodies everywhere, but Town looked threatening on the counter attack and they scored another in the 32nd minute, Matthew Ward picking the ball up in the middle of the park after a nice bit of play before running to the edge of the box and hitting a low shot under the keeper. The hosts finally got a goal a few minutes into the first half, Alex Curran going on a good run from inside his own half to the edge of the box before hitting a nice low shot which curled into the bottom left corner. Both sides had a couple of half chances in the 10 minutes after, but on the hour mark a bad challenge by a Colne player sparked a bit of a brawl which resulted in Michael Conlon being sent off for the visitors. Colne seized the advantage quickly as from the resulting free kick they managed to get a penalty when Josh Hine was brought down by the Newcastle keeper, which was converted by Curran for his brace. I expected Colne to go all out for the winner but they seemed to just continue playing the same, which played into Newcastle's hands as they tried to kill the game off and go for a point. The visitors successfully did so, restricting Colne to forcing a couple of good saves from the visiting keeper, and the score ended 2-all.

Liked the ground, situated on a hill with good views into the town from behind the stand especially of the church clock. Cover is provided by a 250ish seat stand and covered standing the full length of the end and a bit along one side, all of these seem home-made and quite thrown together which I like. The rest is flat hard standing and the pitch is fully railed off. Clubhouse and changing room building is situated between the entrance and the stand, with the tea bar in the opposite corner which sells the usual food and hot drinks. Ground is enclosed off from a complex which is shared with the rugby club, with a few unrailed rugby and football pitches as well as the rugby clubhouse. Car park is a decent size for the football but if a rugby match or another football match was going on then it'd probably get a bit tight. Although we'd been told that the pitch might not hold up if there was a downpour, it looked pretty decent and didn't deteriorate too much despite some added showers. Decent crowd in attendance including a few ultras who sang songs directed mainly towards Nelson. Easy enough journey back and indoors around half 5.

Hope everyone on here has a good Christmas Smile

Grounds visited: 303
Last new ground: Broadfields Stadium (Crawley Town)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

andy smith
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 25, 2018, 10:54 AM

Team(s): The Pars

Post #68 of 74 (6448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With my intended game (Clare Town v Hardwick) being waterlogged off, I ended up in the same ''neck of the woods'' as yourself, at Tolleshunt Knights village hall to watch the Border League game between Tiptree Heath & Arlesford Colne Rangers. The opening of the game was a bit scrappy but the home side gradually began to get on top and took the lead after 23 mins, they made it 2-0 in the 41st min. 11 mins into the second half Tiptree made it 3-0. Arlesford then scored to make it 3-1 10 mins later and then having the better of the rest of the game coming close to scoring on a couple of occasions but they had to wait deep into stoppage time before getting another goal, final Tiptree Heath 3 Arlesford Colne Rangers 2

umbria99
Junior Team Star

Dec 25, 2018, 5:05 PM

Team(s): Northampton Town, Romsey Town

Post #69 of 74 (6279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy smith] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wessex League Division One

Downton (0) 0 v Romsey Town (2) 3
Admssn £5, good quality programme included
Attendance 110

Town lord it over Downton! Romsey serve up a festive feast of football and wrap up three with a convincing 3 goal margin that in truth could have been more but for some fine stops by the home keeper.
A chance to sample Downton Brewery’s New Forest Ale and Quadhop IPA both at £3 a pint was gladly taken to put the gloss on a fine day out with first born who was home from Hamburg for the holidays. Next stop the Saints and Hammers at St.Mary’s on Thursday.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Dec 25, 2018, 8:35 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #70 of 74 (6076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at this one, City's performance their best for some weeks as the new XI beds in. The game was definitely helped by the fact that it seemed like Mr Humphries had left his cards in Daventry. As for the timeline regarding a move to Sawston, it is still wait and see with a suggestion that works will start in March next year.

Mark Hardy
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2018, 10:31 PM

Team(s): Farnborough

Post #71 of 74 (5156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Easington Sports 11-0 Tytherington Rocks
Hellenic Div 1 West.

As easy as the score suggests with two substitutes both scoring Hendricks.

1-0 16 seconds
2-0 43 minutes
3-0 45
4-0 49
5-0 59
6-0 67
7-0 72
8-0 74
9-0 75
10-0 83
11-0 87

The final goal a twice taken penalty.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Dec 31, 2018, 9:41 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #72 of 74 (3484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sky Bet Championship

Brentford (0) 1 v 0 (0) Bolton Wanderers

Season Ticket Programme £3.50 Attendance 10512 (Away Fans 961)

Also here and a couple of surprises. 1. Despite the recent poor run, the size of the crowd and 2. We have not changed our manager, however club legend Kevin O'Connor has stepped up from the B team to join the 1st team coaching team.
A change in formation since the last home game saw Brentford look a lot more solid defensively which also negated our attack a bit, the winning goal came in the second half from Neal Maupay. Bolton nearly equalised at the end when their keeper came up for a corner and his header went narrowly past the far post.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 5, 2019, 2:12 AM

Post #73 of 74 (2849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AGP ARENA
BILLERICAY TOWN 0 Woking 4

Decided to take in the big match from the away end at a much improved Blunts Wall Road.
A fine performance from Woking was enjoyable to watch.

Rather longer than anticipated was spent at the BILLERICAY BREWERY after the match! A fine whisky stout was to blame TongueBlush

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 26, 2019, 3:34 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #74 of 74 (747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 22nd December 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kent County League (Premier Division) 2 pm

Otford United 0 Peckham Town 5 (H/T 0-3)

Entry – Free

Programme – £1 for 20 pages

Crowd – probably c. 25-30, although I forgot to make a note.

I’ve skipped a bit with these WDYG reports over Xmas and the New Year, because I didn’t tick any new grounds during the holiday period. Instead I did various revisits, to Oxford United home games and non-league matches which kicked-off at 1 pm (as I prefer games that finish in daylight) so the last new ground I ticked before Gresford Athletic on 5th January was this match in the Kent County League. On this weekend, it had been fairly wet over much of the UK, but as sometimes happens in these cases, Kent was generally less wet than most of the UK, so I had a look at the fixtures for that area and I was delighted to find that Otford United had stated on their twitter that programmes would be on sale at this match – they have been fairly regular issuers over the past few years, although I don’t know if they are still issuing in 2019-20.

I travelled by bus from Swanley to Otford, where I arrived in good time before the kick-off. Otford also has a railway station, which is probably only about ten minutes walk from the football ground. The ground is situated at the end of a driveway off the north side of the main street through the village. I was aware that the ground has floodlights, but the first thing I saw was a pitch which was marked out, but did not have floodlights. Fortunately this turned out to be a second pitch rather than the main one, which is partially hidden from view on lower land on the left when approaching from the main road. There is car parking some distance from the first team pitch, then you walk along a footpath until you reach the first team pitch. There is a dressing-room building on top of a grass bank alongside the pitch and the balcony provides cover for spectators as well as an elevated view of the pitch, which is roped-off. It is unusual to see a roped-off pitch with modern floodlights, and the whole ground is very scenic, with views of rolling hills in the distance.

Peckham Town had brought an impressive amount of support with them, perhaps nearly half the crowd, with some wearing scarves, and one had even brought along a video camera to film the game. They had the perfect Xmas present as their team romped to a comfortable victory, with the goals coming at regular intervals throughout the game. However, what was really noteworthy was that due to a lengthy hold-up in the second half as a result of a player injury, the game did not finish until 4.10 pm. Had it not been for the floodlights (which were switched on at around 15.45) the game might have been abandoned on what was the second shortest day of the year. With the last bus back to Swanley having already departed, I had just enough time to catch a bus to Sevenoaks, at around 4.20 pm, and I changed buses there for Gravesend station, where I got on another bus, this time for Dartford which, like Swanley, is within the Freedom Pass travel zone.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3