Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
2019 Southern Conference Amateur Rugby League

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2018, 3:16 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1 of 4 (7263 views)
Shortcut
2019 Southern Conference Amateur Rugby League Can't Post or Reply Privately

A new competition, the Southern Conference League, launches in 2019. It is for the best community clubs in the south of England and south Wales. Expressions of interest were sought by the RFL earlier this year. Fourteen clubs have been selected. They are:

Eastern Division
Bedford Tigers, Brixton Bulls, Eastern Rhinos (Colchester), Hammersmith Hills Hoists, Hemel Stags, London Chargers (Clapham), North Herts Crusaders (Hitchin), South London Silverbacks (Beckenham), Wests Warriors (Acton).

Western Division
All Golds (Gloucester), Cardiff Blue Dragons, Swindon St George, Torfaen Tigers (Pontypool), Valley Cougars (Treharris).

Play-offs, featuring the leading clubs from each division, will determine the overall champions.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/...hern-amateur-league/

Among the unsuccessful applicants were Bath, Devon Sharks and Saltash Essayons.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 18, 2018, 3:32 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 9, 2019, 10:09 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 2019 Southern Conference Amateur Rugby League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Official launch of the league takes place on February 23 at the London Broncos v Castleford Tigers Super League match.

Opening round of fixtures is April 27. Fourteen clubs, split into East and West sections.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 25, 2019, 9:09 AM

Post #3 of 4 (904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 2019 Southern Conference Amateur Rugby League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As the league launches, an interesting interview in The Sun (online version, 24/2) with All Golds supremo Lionel Hurst:

Rugby league has been warned to get expansion in the south right or risk becoming a 'Victorian museum piece.' The latest attempt to crack the country sees the launch of the new Southern Conference, which will see sides from South Wales to Essex compete. But Lionel Hurst, one of the men behind the new competition, insists the game has to unlock the door to bring new clubs and new talent through or the game could be condemned. And the glass ceiling should be removed with the winners being able to play for a place in the third tier League One.

Hurst, boss of the Gloucestershire All Golds, said: “Unless the game becomes national, it’s going to end up as a Victorian museum piece. This is massive for the game nationally but it has to be resourced properly and it has to be done in the proper fashion. Gloucestershire All Golds haven’t been in League One for two years and Hemel Stags aren’t this year, so I reckon that will have saved the Rugby Football League over £200,000. And if you want to work your way up through the divisions, you should be able to. If say Bedford Tigers win the Southern Conference and Keighley Cougars finish bottom of League One, why shouldn’t Bedford play Keighley for a place in League One? Hopefully by 2022, that can be written into the structure of the competition. There’s no agenda, it’s because I love the game and want to make it a truly national sport.”

In total, 14 teams will take part ranging from Wales' Valley Cougars to Colchester’s Eastern Rhinos, taking in Brixton, Hammersmith, Swindon and Cardiff. The talent pool cannot be denied as the likes of Dan Sarginson, Tony Clubb and Mike McMeeken have come through the London Broncos academy to play for England. The Griffin brothers – Darrell, Josh and George – hail from Oxfordshire. But Hurst believes more has to be done with the Southern Conference, which was launched at yesterday’s Super League clash between London Broncos and Castleford. He added: “We’ve tried it before but in a fitful fashion. It’s a start but we need a plan for three, five or 10 years. Just from this, we’ve secured nine new sponsors in just 20 days and they are significant companies – this isn’t the Dog and Duck we’re talking about. If you mention rugby to the ordinary person, most will go on about England v Wales but I'd tell them it’s all about London v Castleford – they look at me like I’m some sort of halfwit. But this could be the start of something that can get them talking about rugby league as it will be on their doorstep.”

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Feb 25, 2019, 9:11 AM)

ciderjon
First Team Star

Feb 25, 2019, 11:15 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 4 (853 views)
Shortcut

This time I find myself in total agreement with Lionel.

Fixtures have been released and are up on the www.Rugby-League.com site.

Looking forward to watching a few new fixtures.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3