Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Greek trip

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2018, 8:07 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 4 (12415 views)
Shortcut
Greek trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Thursday 7th December it wasn’t the nicest drive to Gatwick Airport with surface water.

My last trip to Greece was in February 2002. My arrival at Athens airport saw me catch the half-hourly metro service into the city & a quick change on the metro to my accommodation close to Omonia station.

On Friday 8th December I caught the metro to Eleonas station & walked to the big Kifissou bus station . A bit daunting to start with before I finally found the large ticket office. I didn’t know the times & no timetables up (time was just before 10am) but I was advised the next bus to Tripoli would be 11:00 with the return at 19:00 (no good) & 21:30 which I booked. The cost was 30 Euros. The bus went on the Isthmus Bridge over the famous canal moments before making its only en-route stop at Korinthos. The journey involved going through 4 tolls & after the stop it was more mountainous with snow seen. The near 2 hour journey in Tripoli is close to the ground but it’s across a field & disused railway line? I had a wander round the town.

Superleague (level 1)
Asteras Tripolis FC (Football Club) 1 (89)
PAS (Panepirotikos Athlitikos Syllogos) Giannina 0
KO: 17:15 Att: 1,264 as per league website (GIA had a youth team in the crowd) Cost: 10 Euros 16 page programme available free, I picked up a copy in the town)

Venue: Stadio Theodoros Koloktronis, Tripoli
4 corner floodlight poles. All seater stadium, most are blue with some yellow. One side is elevated approx 15ft from past corner flag to near 18yd box are 15 ro 12 rows. Central area has 9 rows with boxes/press above. Then up to far 18yd box are 10 rows. Behind most of one goal also elevated approx 15ft are 18 rows on metal terracing which is covered. Other goal from corner flag to past far 6yd box had 22 rows. Next to this were small areas with 16 then 8 rows. Other side has from past corner flag to near half-way line elevated approx 8ft are 12 rows. Elevated a bit higher straddling half-way line are 5 rows with boxes/press behind. These 2 areas are covered. Then up to 6yd box are 7 rows. Either side are training pitches with views of hills/mountains.

Match: 11th v 13th out of 16
It had been sunny & in the low teens but as afternoon went on it got cloudier & cooler. Slight breeze. At game it was chilly.
GIA had shot saved by gk’s legs on 7mins & then on 16mins shot wide. AST shooting was poor & it was looking hard for a goal to be scored. GIA were denied by the gk coming out quickly on 40mins. Shots 4-3.

H/t lasted just under 16mins. GIA had a free kick saved within 90 seconds. AST then dominated the game & a quick break saw a chance not taken on 64mins. A header then went over. GIA had a shot well saved from a good solo effort on 75mins. AST headed into the net on 85mins but the goal was disallowed for a push. Then in the last minute at the far post AST got the winner. I was delighted to see a goal. Shots 7-3.

I’d made up my mind I reluctantly wouldn’t take my small camera to the games to avoid any hassle. This game I wasn’t searched. I had my mobile phone which I’d never used really as a camera. This appears to have been a pointless exercise as it may not have a memory card. I still like to print out photos the ‘old fashioned way.’

Earlier in the day I briefly got locked into the ground but was let out after meeting an official who advised me tickets would be on sale at 14:00 from the ground. When I saw him before the game at his request to have a chat he gave me a club ruler & pencil. There’s a shop in the town but they didn’t sell match tickets.

Some spots of rain just before departure. The bus didn’t stop at the Kiffisou bus station on the way back, virtually everyone got off in the city centre which was handy being next to metro station, Metaxourghio.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2018, 8:28 PM

Post #2 of 4 (12398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Greek trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Sunday 9th December I’d intended to watch a level 3 game in one of the 8 divisions. It was a few mins walk from Aghios Antonios metro station. On arrival a youth team game was taking place with an adult team just about to leave for their game. One club had a list of their games on a board with my scheduled game written down elsewhere but when I came back I watched a different game. Not sure what happened to my game.

EPSA (Athens League?) A Kategoria Grupo 2 (level 4)
Athletikos Omilos Peristeri 1 (73)
Olympiakos Neon Liosion 2 (24 & 81)
KO: 15:00 Att: 80 h/c Cost: 5 Euros Saw no progs

Venue: I think Gipedo Hephaestus, Peristeriou
Artificial pitch with 2 floodlight poles each side & a wall around most of the ground. Less than half of one side for spectators with it being in one half. Up 9 steps are 12 rows of grey seats with wider area at back. Most of the remainder is taken up by the tiled roof changing rooms. Behind one goal is a small artificial pitch at a different angle. Other side has longish grass area. These 3 areas had low storey blocks of flats with the other side having beyond mountains with the city in front. Behind other goal over the wall is a mustard coloured 5 storey office block? With the remainder a kids play area & trees.

Match: At least I knew who the teams were as names on training tops. Next day or two I found out some details & AOP were bottom (16th) with 4 pts from 13 games while ONL were now 5th.
It was a mostly sunny day & warm. There was a few mins I was in t-shirt at the game. As sun went down it got cool.

AOP shot over with good chance on 16mins before ONL headed in the opening goal. A 25yd shot AOP was saved on 25mins then little happened. Shots 3-2.

H/t lasted less than 14mins. After 68mins nothing else had happened until ONL had a free header which didn’t go close. A well struck shot brough AOP level then a powerful shot saw ONL regain the lead. On 88mins they should’ve increased their lead but shot went over. Shots 2-5.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2018, 8:52 PM

Post #3 of 4 (12364 views)
Shortcut

It was back on the metro for 2 stops getting off at Anthoupoli station. When I got my bearings I surprisingly found the ground fairly easy. Leading up to the Atromitos v Aris game I was unsure I’d be allowed in as it appeared away fans would be banned & home fans needed a TAMA or FAMA number (I assumed a club membership scheme). I was surprised to see riot police but I was allowed to purchase a ticket although I had to show my passport with details printed on the ticket.

Superleague (level 1)
Atromitos FC 4 (15, 58, 90 and 93+)
Aris FC 2 (88 and 91+, miss pen 58)
KO: 19:00 Att: 860 as per league website (inc approx 100 Aris fans who were close to me in a section which wasn’t segregated at all. It was the Ultras who’d been banned) Cost: 30, 15 & 10 Euros. Free 14 page prog.

Venue: Stadio Peristeriou, Peristeriou, Athens
4 corner floodlight poles & lights down both sides. Remains of a 6 lane running track. Most of venue is elevated approx 10ft with the majority of the ground having seats which are mostly dark blue. One side has 10 rows with wider area at back which are covered with central area having 8 rows with press/boxes behind. Opposite are 6 rows with press/boxes behind with 7 rows in each corner. Behind one goal for half are 11 to 16 rows with the remainder at the same height having blue & white rows of terracing. Other goal in one corner has 16 rows of mostly light blue seats while in other corner is snack bar with cover in front. Around most of ground are approx 6 storey blocks of flats.

Match: 3rd v 6th out of 16
Not cold at all. Despite the low crowd the atmosphere was better here than 5 figure crowds I’ve been in.
ATR headed over on 10mins before pass to corner of penalty box saw unmarked player shoot & defender couldn’t prevent the ball going in. ARI were a sorry looking outfit. Shots 4-1.

H/t lasted just over 14mins. ATR shot wide on 52mins before ref awarded a penalty for a push but ARI had the spot kick saved. Not long after ATR added a 2nd goal. The game was then drifting to its conclusion until ARI pulled a goal back with hardly any noise from ARI fans. They then got a free kick & I thought surely they couldn’t steel a point. 119 seconds after the goal ATR scored from approx 40 yards out along the ground with the gk unable to block the shot way out of his goal. 69 seconds later ARI reduced the arrears to 1 again with a deflected shot. 63 seconds later I couldn’t believe what I was seeing as ATR scored again. Unfortunately the ref blew for f/t. Shots 6-4.

So the last 4 goals came in 4:11. Some of the ARI fans were waving arms in disgust while ATR I think moved up to 2nd again in the table in what is becoming an unbelievable season.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2018, 9:24 PM

Post #4 of 4 (12340 views)
Shortcut

On Monday 10th December there was heavy rain in the morning & I got drenched looking for the National Gallery which wasn’t where the Guide book said where it was, then being directed by another museum/gallery only to find its closed. When I went back to original museum/gallery it was only the shop open despite 4 staff. What a waste of time. I did some sightseeing as the rain stopped & sun came out. Might have just been in the teens. I saw the Panathenaic Stadium & luckily saw the changing of the guard which was bizarre to what I was expecting with some ‘funny’ walks.

Later I got to Syntagma metro station to catch the tram but there was a long term closure so I went back on the metro & got off at Neos Kosmos station so I could catch the tram. I got off after approx 5 stops I think & the ground was signed to the right.

Superleague (level 1)
Panionios GS (Gymnastikos Syllogos) Smyrnis 1 (94+)
Levadiakos FC 1 (40)
KO: 19:30 Att: 956 as per league website (I don’t think there were any LEV fans) Cost: 10 Euros (I had to show my passport but this was for my name only which was printed on the ticket) Saw no progs

Venue: Stadio Panionios aka Stadio Nea Smyrnis, Nea Smyrnis, Athens
4 corner floodlight poles & lights long one side. Remains of a 6 lane running track. All seater stadium, most are red, some blue & just a few white. The concrete rows are blue. Elevated approx 10ft. My side had pitchside in one half 2 to 4 rows of terracing which obviously isn’t for fans. One side is covered with 13 rows with central area having 11 & 8 rows of comfy seats with a small area going closer to the pitch & behind are press/boxes. In corner are approx 25 rows. Behind one goal is a bit strange with advert boards covering up some seating then there’s a gap with more advert boards high up again possibly in front of seats. Other side which goes past each corner flag have 10 rows at the front then a walkway then a further 16 rows. Flats around most of ground. Behind other goal has a tiny artificial pitch & a marquee with a church behind.

Match: 8th v 15th out of 16
Chilly. PAN headed a corner over on 3mins. A chance was saved on 31mins. LEV had a 25yd free kick which looked as if it was going in but the gk pulled off a superb save. Against the run of play they broke quickly & scored to silence. Shots 7-2.

H/t lasted just under 16mins. PAN dominated this half with a chance saved on 48mins before gk saved on 50mins then another chance this time wasted wide. LEV scored again this time a header from a free kick but this was disallowed. PAN hit the post on 67mins before LEV shot just wide on 81mins. PAN then came close with a couple of shots which went out for corners. On 87mins a header went wide & then on 90+mins they struck the corner of bar & post. LEV were feigning injuries & the 5mins added time was almost up. A long range shot to my surprise found its way in for a dramatic equaliser. They rushed to get the ball back but not long after the f/t whistle blew. Shots 13-2.

On Tuesday it was mostly cloudy with heavy rain in the afternoon & evening. Cool as well. More exploring the city again before my flight home that night.

Really enjoyable trip.

The attendance figures for this weekends home teams were:
Asteras Tripolis 1,264 AEK 5,541 Xanti 1,342 OFI 4,932 Atromitos 860 PAOK 15,219 Panetolikos 1,867 Panionios 956.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3