Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG


Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sat. 8th December


First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 5:38 PM

Posts: 2492
Location: Stocksbridge, Sheffield
Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #1 of 67 (16645 views)
Sat. 8th December Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dodworth M.W. 2 High Green Villa 0

County Senior Premier

H/T 1-0

H/C 22

With the Blades on TV, (yet again), I needed something local. Doduff is 20 minutes away, so it fitted the bill, together with the substantial piece of cover at this venue that was definately needed today.

Dodworth took the lead after five minutes and looked like they would walk away with it. That they didn't was a credit to HGV. Villa were actually the better team in the second half but without creating any clear-cut chances. They fell to a sucker punch three minutes from time.

Ground described on here before. Website has result as 1-0 for some reason.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

First Team Sub

Dec 8, 2018, 5:59 PM

Posts: 1178

Post #2 of 67 (16605 views)
Re: [IAN S] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dorset Senior League
AFC Blandford 8 Allendale 3
Admission: none
Programme: amazingly yes, 12pp colour with a good level of content; found in the bar, and available for a donation (gave £2).
Teams: Not obtained
Refreshments: £1 Mars Bar, 50p tea from the bar. No hot food available.
Attendance: 17 (h/c)

Now the clocks have gone back and the weather’s turned, time to knock off a few local grounds. AFC Blandford play at the Dick Draper Memorial Ground (aka Stourpaine Playing Fields); Stourpaine is a village a few miles north of Blandford on the A350 Shaftesbury road. If coming south from Shaftesbury, turn right just before the White Horse pub, signposted “Village Hall”, and at the end of that road, a quick dogleg to the right brings you into a road called Havelins. The ground is around 100 yards or so down there on the left. There’s a small car park (about 20 spaces) and the clubhouse (“Pavillion Bar”) lies behind the nearest goal. Alongside it is the rather attractive, wooden-clad Village Hall and beyond that a kiddies play area and a couple of tennis courts, in other words standard Rec fayre.

The pitch is railed with some hoardings and two small brick dugouts painted in club colours. There’s a small hardstanding area but no spectator shelter other than the clubhouse veranda, which does afford quite a decent view down the pitch and was very welcome today as a series of hefty showers rattled through from the west down the wooded valley – in any other conditions this would be a very attractive setting.

Blandford had beaten Allendale 0-8 on their patch earlier in the season, but certainly during the first half, Allendale looked the sharper side up front. Unfortunately they were wasteful. They took an 8th minute lead after A.9 had, possibly unintentionally, delivered a half-volley into the area completely wrong-footing the home defence, and A.10 was able to knock the ball in a close range. Blandford however were 3-1 up by the interval, thanks to taking their chances and clinical finishing. Overall though, it wasn’t the highest quality game but the conditions were largely responsible for that.

Both keepers looked a bit dodgy, to be honest, and the second half saw a further 7 goals. The home custodian tended to get away with some of his less impressive moments, like spilling the ball but being able to block the follow-up attempt. In contrast, he Allendale keeper, as Blandford piled on the pressure in the second half, wilted along with his defence – he left one gentle looping header from B.2 which he thought was going wide – it didn’t, hit the post and bounced into the net – and later dived over a B.16 effort which he could have saved. As well as the goals, there were plenty of chances missed by both sides; indeed in the last minute, two Allendale players found themselves totally unmarked at the far post, but somehow contrived to put the ball wide.

Rollicking entertainment in very testing conditions, and a fair result at the end pf the day. The clouds miraculously lifted as the final whistle blew, so a drive home under faded blue skies, trying to avoid the copious amounts of standing water still left on the roads.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Dec 8, 2018, 6:07 PM

Posts: 1093
Location: Staffs.
Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #3 of 67 (16573 views)
Re: [IAN S] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland League Division 3. KO 14:00. (F&N) Crowd 17

WLV 2 v 2 Central Ajax

The visitors started the day in 2nd place but never really stamped their authority on the game, in fact I feel WLV were the better side. The teams shared a red card apiece and there were several yellows. Ajax were a goal up at half time but the home side levelled early in the second period and looked to have taken all 3 points with an 82nd minute goal but the visitors struck back with an 88th minute equaliser to gain a point they didn't really deserve.

First Team Sub

Dec 8, 2018, 6:17 PM

Posts: 1098
Location: NW Leicestershire
Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #4 of 67 (16549 views)
Re: [Dave 56] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastwood CFC 1 Newark Flowserve 2 East Midlands Counties League
Admission £5/£3
Programme £1
Tea £1
After last weeks long trip to Wales I wanted to stay local today so decided to a re-visit to Eastwood. The ground hasn't changed, but the club really need to sort out the vandalised seats, in the main stand,as some of them are dangerous. I chose this game as Newark were second in the league but Eastwood had been on a long unbeaten run. The first half saw Newark play all the best football and deservedly take the lead. Eastwood equalised from a super free kick but the visitors were back in front on the stroke of half time. The second half was poor as neither teams really got to grip with the strong wind and heavy rain showers, but I think Flowserve will be disappointed they didn't add to their goal tally.

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 6:36 PM

Posts: 1517
Location: Melksham, Wiltshire
Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #5 of 67 (16491 views)
Re: [osborne] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evo-Stik Southern League One South
infiLED Stadium
Malksham Town 3 Barnstaple Town 0
Admission: S/T Paper available Attendance: 312

Foul weather for most of the game with horizontal rain and high winds making the playing conditions a real challenge at times. Barum have struggled this season and on this display look headed back to The Western at the end of the season.
Sad truth is they don't look good enough and Melksham had more difficulty with the weather than the opposition. Good saves denied Rusher and Davies, Plummer missed a sitter on 24 as Town started their short pass plays around a static defence. Finally a miscued clearance fell to Reece Rusher 25 yards out and he calmly stroked a shot over the keeper and into the top corner. HT 1-0.
Second half and it was all over really in the first ten minutes; A Davies penalty on 49 after Rusher was hacked down and then a sublime finish from Davies on 53 again, feinting to cross and then side-footing in at the near post. Barum keeper made another couple of saves but their heart was not in it. They even blazed over when given an open goal chance on 87.
A good crowd most of whom took advantage of the warmth of the bar. About 100 hardy souls dotted around the ground and sat in the small stand. Up to 6th in the League.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Dec 8, 2018, 6:39 PM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 8, 2018, 6:38 PM

Posts: 18508
Location: Kirby Muxloe
Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #6 of 67 (16463 views)
Re: [IAN S] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.

NKF Burbage 3 Hinckley AFC 2.

In £5
Paper-Online only.

Carlsberg £2.80.

The most dour derby imaginable until the 56th minute when Burbage were reduced to 10 men then boom!! Knitters went in front only to find themselves behind within 15 minutes, looked to have secured the point they deserved at the minimum they went and lost it with 86 on the clock!

Hinckley invasion of Barwell boozers before the game included Topps and the Blacksmiths, a good few even made it to the ground but hit the clubhouse and never went in! Quite fortunate really as things looked to be getting well tasty behind the goal in the 2nd half but threats alone was as good as it got. Hardly Boro v Utd what alot of us were used to but it is what it is in these parts nowadays!

In Reply To

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Dec 8, 2018, 7:10 PM)

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 6:48 PM

Posts: 1869

Post #7 of 67 (16406 views)
Re: [kirby knitters] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cwmbran Celtic 0 The New Saints 3

Celtic Park: JD Welsh Cup Third Round

This afternoon’s JD Welsh Cup tie was the biggest match in the history of Cwmbran Celtic since they were formed back in 1925 as Catholic Young Men’s Society (CYMS). The Welsh League First Division club had previously reached the last-eight stage of this competition three seasons ago before bowing out at the hands of then Welsh Premier League opponents Port Talbot Town. This was my first visit of the campaign to Celtic Park and the last time I watched a match at this ground back was in May of this year, when the weather was much warmer and brighter, and the home team entertained Haverfordwest County in their penultimate home league fixture of the campaign. Since that visit, Cwmbran Celtic have extended their length of their pitch to ensure that it meets the requirements outlined by the FAW’s two tier criteria which was introduced at the beginning of this season. This had required some of the raised land at the car park end of the ground to be flattened out and the perimeter fence moved back to increase the size of the playing area. A new hut had also been installed by the entrance to the ground for an individual to take the admission fee and sell programmes to visiting spectators. Cwmbran Celtic had reached this stage of the competition following victories over Ammanford and Sully Sports. The Monmouthshire outfit found themselves in fifth place in the Welsh League First Division table following a 3-1 defeat at leaders Penybont in their previous outing a fortnight ago. The defending Welsh Premier Premier champions had not experienced the best of season thus far, judged by their own high standards, as they had already bowed out of the Nathaniel MG and Irn-Bru Cups. The New Saints came into this JD Welsh Cup tie in third place in the Welsh Premier League table after having been held to a 1-1 home draw by Cardiff Met last weekend.

This cup tie against the multiple domestic champions drew a larger than usual crowd to Celtic Park on what was a wet and windy afternoon at times. The match survived a late inspection as some heavy showers started to fell in this part of south Wales around lunchtime. The hosts made a positive start to the proceedings as they saw a header clear Paul Harrison's crossbar following a second minute free-kick swung into the danger area from out near the left touchline. Cwmbran Celtic more than held their own against the Welsh Premier champions and saw a speculative drive from nearly 30 yards out fly wide of the target. But, slightly against the early run of play, the visitors broke the deadlock from the penalty spot after Celtic goalkeeper Lewis Watkins brought down brought down an onrushing Kurtis Byrne. The spot-kick was successfully converted by Seargeant to hand The New Saints the lead before the home team attempted to find a equaliser but saw a low 27th minute shot from a narrow strike the side netting. Just when it appeared that Cwmbran Celtic would be trailing bu the odd goal at the interval, the Saints struck again, with just four minutes of the opening period remaining. Seargeant picked-up the ball around the edge of the Celtic penalty area and his low effort found the back of the net via the inside of an upright. The match was virtually over as a contest after four minutes of the second-half completed. Following a good spell of passing in the right-hand corner of the pitch, Byrne managed to pull the ball back from the byline and Seargeant was on hand to fire the ball past Watkins to complete his treble. The ball deflected wide of the target from a 67th minute free-kick for The New Saints before Bull saw a low shot saved 12 minutes layer after slaloming past a couple of Celtic defenders. The visitors nearly added a fourth goal in in the 81st minute but Byrne saw his effort slow down in the goal mouth mud before striking an upright and being cleared to safety. Cwmbran Celtic should have netted a deserved consolation in stoppage time but Chris Ham saw his 92nd minute penalty thunder off the crossbar and the hosts were left to reflect on what might have been if that had taken the lead against their higher-graded opponents.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 486
Matches: 100
New Grounds: 14

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2018, 7:03 PM

Posts: 4503
Location: Flintshire
Team(s): Bradford City

Post #8 of 67 (16341 views)
Re: [barcud-coch] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leigh Athletic 3-3 Govan Athletic
Manchester League Division 1
No admission charge
Att: 9 (h/c)

These two teams had the same points, goals scored and goals conceded before this game, although Govan had played one game fewer. Both were in the bottom 3 of the division, so I wasn't too sure what to expect, but what followed was an excellent game under a combination of torrential rain and bright sunshine.

Govan were in total control in the first half hour, playing controlled possession football with incisive passing in the final third. They were 3 goals up by this point and cruising. The game turned when the Govan keeper dropped a cross into his own net just before the break, which gave Leigh hope of a comeback. As much as Govan were on top in the first half, Leigh dominated the second. They pulled another goal back on 58 and equalised on 70. Plenty of other chances were missed or saved at both ends, but neither side could find a winner.

This is the 4th ground on which I have seen Leigh play a home game. They are now based at Leigh East RL, next door to Leigh Sports Village. There are 2 full size artificial pitches and 3 smaller ones. Athletic play on the pitch immediately outside the clubhouse, which is railed with hard standing on the near side and the far end. No cover, but there is a minimal overhang from the clubhouse roof.

There are a couple of reports on here that suggest that Athletic used the other full size pitch for at least part of last season. I've no idea if this is now their usual pitch, but it's much better from a spectator's point of view.

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 7:11 PM

Posts: 1562
Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #9 of 67 (16293 views)
Re: [barcud-coch] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland League Division Three
Shipston Excelsior 1-0 Birmingham Tigers
F&N, Att: 24 (h/c)

An unexpected free few hours on a Saturday afternoon, as the junior Karbs were otherwise occupied, so an opportunity to tick one of the outposts of this league.

A real basement battle, bottom versus 3rd from bottom. Between them the two sides had lost 18 of their 22 games so far this season, with Tigers managing two wins and a draw, and the home side just a single point for their endeavours, so I wasn’t expecting a classic. That’s just as well, for the standard was poor, not helped by a strong wind, and a very bumpy pitch.

The rain that fell for most of my journey down, thankfully stayed away for the duration of the game, but most spectators took advantage of the small area of covered standing on the near side as it provided some shelter from the wind. The near side and the goal to the right are roped off, the other two sides are inaccessible to spectators.

The only goal of the game came on 13 minutes. A free kick from the right was headed in by number 9. Both sides hit the crossbar, and Shipston had a second goal chalked off for a foul, which looked harsh. Tigers finished with 10 men when number 10 was sent off shortly before the end, though I’m not really sure what for.

The small car park had just about enough space for everyone today, and a clubhouse is available. The members of the women’s hockey team were having a Christmas party and playing drinking games when I went in at half time. I suspect it could get quite messy before the evening is out.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 8, 2018, 7:24 PM

Posts: 7047
Location: Kingdom of Fife
Team(s): Fife teams

Post #10 of 67 (16222 views)
Re: [Karb] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Junior Cup Round Four
Thornton Hibs v Renfrew, 2-0, H.T. 1-0, Att c.280, Admission £6, Programme £2, Steak Pie and Coffee £3.80
At Stark’s Park (Raith Rovers FC)

Thornton opted to switch this match to make sure it got played – another postponement would have seen it switched to Renfrew. The move paid off. There is little doubt Memorial Park would have been waterlogged, the result went Thornton’s way and they were rewarded with a very decent turnout which will have defrayed the costs of renting the ground.

I expected a close game and was surprised by how comfortably Thornton won this. Ben Anthony put them ahead in a fairly even first half. However, Renfrew were reduced to ten men before the break when their keeper Dale Burgess took out a Thornton forward just outside the box and was shown a straight red. Renfrew were actually lucky not to have another player sent off just afterwards when the officials couldn’t work out who had felled a Thornton man off the ball. For info it was the Renfrew number 5.

As the second half got underway it was clear that the next goal would be vital. Thornton did most of the pressing but they couldn’t get the vital goal. Renfrew looked dangerous on the break but proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot with a second red card. Jamie Benton really should be ashamed of himself for leading with a high elbow in a midfield tussle, reducing his side to nine men and making their task all the more difficult. To be fair the nine men battled valiantly but the numerical advantage for Thornton finally paid dividends with a late second by Anthony.

Thornton advance to face Kilwinning Rangers in Ayrshire – a team called Hibs and wearing green will no doubt get a warm welcome from the unibrowed, cleft-chinned Ayrshiremen.

All the crowd were accommodated in the main stand which was busier than it would be for a typical Raith home game. The Caterers who run the kiosks at Stark’s Park opened up and did roaring business – even if some Renfrew punters were upset by the pricing. The chap in front of me was especially belligerent and couldn’t accept that Pies should cost more than a pound. “It’s a Junior game so it should be Junior prices” was his argument. The bar under the stand was also open.

Thornton’s excellent programme was on sale for £2. It was the original issue from 2 weeks ago with a 4-page updating insert. If there is a better programme in Non league football in Scotland then I’ve not seen it.

Good turn out of enthusiasts for this game. LLD was nursing a serious hangover which restricted his pie intake. Leeds Phil was back in saddle for his first game for a few weeks, unable to resist the temptation of such an obscure bracketed tick. Also had a blether with Stewart Davidson, compiler of the now-retired Scottish Non League Review. Fife’s own FIFA ref Lorraine Watson was also there supporting her hometown team, complete with her new baby John, attending his first football match at the age of 9 weeks.

Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 8, 2018, 7:41 PM

Posts: 19438
Location: Surrey
Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #11 of 67 (16130 views)
Re: [prorege] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern 2
Jarrow 3-1 Tow Law Town
Att 65, adm £5, prog £1

Gambled on the weather by buying cheap advance rail tickets a couple of months ago, travelling up from London to Sunderland on Grand Central. Had a choice of five matches so was well covered, even though the forecasters couldn't agree on the afternoon's weather - approaching midday the Met Office hourly forecast for Jarrow was wall to wall sunshine while the BBC predicted wall to wall showers! As it turned out, the cloud did roll in and we had a few spots before kick off but the rain held off throughout the game.

After a couple of lunchtime snifters in the Ship Isis and Dun Cow, two excellent boozers a few minutes apart in Sunderland, took the metro for the 12 minute ride to Brockley Whins, from where it's a ten minute walk to the Perth Green Community Centre, behind which is the ground.

Safe to say it won't feature on any hopper's bucket list but it does the job. A kit terrace and small kit stand on the near side, the rest is open hardstanding. Usual hot and cold footy fodder is served in the community centre, linked to the ground by an unusual covered walkway which looks like something you'd find at an airport. No social club though, the thirstier fans making do with the fizz-only Red Hackle pub a couple of minutes walk away, which serves the surrounding housing estate.

The game took a while to get going but it wasn't bad in the end. Jarrow had a goal lead at half time even though the Lawyers had created the best chances and were apparently denied a stonewall penalty in an incident which passed me by completely! Jarrow extended the lead on 55 but Tow Law got one back and went hunting for the equaliser, only for the home side to kill the game off with a third on 73. A few hefty challenges meant a fair bit of injury time but overall this was played in a decent spirit, hard but (mostly) fair. I especially liked the visiting keeper calling to the linesman and giving him the thumbs up after he'd correctly deemed the lad had tipped a shot wide, the ref having initially given a goal kick before consulting with the liner then correctly awarding the corner instead.

With all the stoppages we didn't finish until almost 5 o'clock but there was bags of time to catch the metro onwards to Newcastle, savour a decent pint in the Head of Steam and grab some food for the 18.29 train back to London.

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 7:49 PM

Posts: 2169
Location: Leighton Buzzard
Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #12 of 67 (16092 views)
Re: [prorege] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
Admission £6.00 Doorstep sold out and on-line only is very much imminent 2x Tea £2.00
Attendance 41 (included a young lad doing some form of commentary)

Two up in seven minutes and a penalty on the half hour put CG very much in the driving seat at half time. Wembley managed to claw one back (and possibly another while I was in the clubhouse marvelling at the return of BBC1 on the smart TV) but CG made the game safe. I'm not sure where the referee got seven minutes of added time from as, unlike previous games involving Wembley, this was a relatively clean contest. Probably just as well as Crawley Green are on the lookout for a new physio after the previous one decided to decamp to the USA to join his partner who was refused permission to settle here.

The attendees included the Wembley family group, but thankfully no allegations of assault were made against Crawley Green management.Cool

Early on in the season, I was warned that CG's programmes would be going online and it seems they will be for the next home game or the one after. Big and bulky though they were, the club did have the right idea - a static outer shell with small match-specific insert which could be just removed and discarded if necessary but with respect it was never really going to win any prizes for content or variety.

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

Dec 8, 2018, 7:49 PM

Posts: 143
Location: Worcester
Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #13 of 67 (16089 views)
Re: [IAN S] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL Premier
Westfields FC 1 - 2 Ilkeston Town
@ allpay.park (att. 208, HT 1-1)
£7 in, Bovril a quid, thanks very much

Attempted a cheeky double of Lads Club Reserves vs. Shobdon and this, but the Lads Club game was called off due to the weather. Must be one hell of a microclimate in Hereford as you could chip a 9 iron from the Lads Club ground to Westfields, which was very much on with a decent surface.

Second hosted top, games in hand for surrounding teams notwithstanding, though you wouldn't know it in the first half as both sides fought tooth and nail for the middle third of the pitch. Ilkeston led from a 40 yard free kick cross that evaded everyone and went in. Westfields equalised from a deflected free kick. Those were basically the only shots of the half.

Westfields played more expansively in the second half and forced three good saves from the Town keeper. But eventually the shape and tenacity of Ilkeston found gaps and a cross from the left was met with a good header that found the far corner for the winner.

A decent away following for Ilkeston got to see a good win, if not a classic, with only a couple of dodgy challenges which were almost forgiveable given the scrappy conditions.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 8, 2018, 8:07 PM

Posts: 714
Location: Farnborough, Hants
Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #14 of 67 (15939 views)
Re: [paulh66] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wincanton Town 6 Bishop Sutton 1
Admission £5 Programme £1
Western League Division 1

Prior to the game, Wincanton were one place behind their visitors, albeit 4 points separated them and the visitors had 2 games in hand. The game was not as one sided as it sounds, an even first half until the final 8 minutes when Wincanton scored three in quick succession. The game was effectively over early in the second half when they scored a fourth. Late in the game, at 5-1 down, Bishop Sutton were down to 10 men, when their goalkeeper suffered an injury and had to go off, and with all 3 subs already used, an outfield player had to go in goal, however could not be faulted for conceding the final goal. Ground has 3 sides of uncovered standing, with the only cover down the far side where a deep stepped stand with bucket seats bolted to the concrete steps, and a high metal roof, kept the spectators dry during the showers, but unfortunately not keeping out the cold, strong wind. One unusual feature of the ground is that there were no pitch side facilities, so if anyone fancied a cup of tea or something to eat, or had to take a call of nature, then they had to walk the 100 yards or so back to the clubhouse. All in all, a good day out at a club that has been on my “bucket list” for a while. Ten grounds still to visit in this division.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

(This post was edited by nervous rec on Dec 8, 2018, 8:13 PM)

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2018, 8:14 PM

Posts: 3040
Location: Berks.
Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #15 of 67 (15897 views)
Re: [Armchair Libero] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tytherington Rocks 0-5 Almondsbury
Hellenic 1st Division West

Fairly comfortable win for the visitors, though Tytherington didn't give up and created a few chances of their own. Goalless at half time, it didn't take long for the first two goals to arrive. Almondsbury had four efforts ruled disallowed, hit the bar and were kept out by the home keeper. Several more efforts should have at least found the larget.

A friendly welcome at the ground, which is both out of the way, yet still possible to hear the constant noise of traffic due to the M5 passing close to the ground. One small stand on the far side, between the dugouts. The clubhouse is angled a little away from the pitch back behind one goal, but it offers a reasonable view of the action, and several members of the crowd watched from here. The rain held off too, easing just before kickoff, and starting to drizzle again by the end.

I turned out not to be the only one to head over from Reading for this one, the referee had too. A slightly odd appointment given the distances involved.

First Team Sub

Dec 8, 2018, 8:55 PM

Posts: 1039
Location: birmingham
Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #16 of 67 (15647 views)
Re: [Dr Love] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BEERSCHOT WIJIK (3) 5 TUBIZE (0) 2 Belgium 'B'' Division.Admission 20 euros.No programme.Att: probably about 6,000. Another early start for the 8.25 ferry from Dover to Calais.Arrived at Dover at about 7-00 and we made the 7-20 boat.When we arrived in Calais it took over an hour to get on the motorway because of the protesters we had to go through the middle of Calais.We stopped a couple of times before reaching the ground in Antwerp which hosted the 1920 olympics.We sat opposite the main stand .Behind both goals are seated areas but one of them was out of bounds apart from one corner with about 20 away supporters.The home side raced into a 3-0 lead which included a penalty.More even second half with both teams scoring twice.The No 13 for Beerschot scored 4 goals.The game was played throughout in blustery rain which started just before kick off.A decent game with some good goals.

(This post was edited by hotchkiss on Dec 8, 2018, 9:14 PM)

Reserve Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 9:16 PM

Posts: 721
Location: Guildford/Yaxley
Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #17 of 67 (15474 views)
Re: [Dr Love] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Division 1 Central
Berkhamsted 1 Yaxley 2

Admission: £8, Programme: £1.50 (one of the worst I've bought this season)
Attendance: 98 (official, but looked over 100 to me)

Finally, at the sixth time of asking, I've actually seen Yaxley win an away game this season, and this was one that I very nearly didn't bother with after the disastrous result and performance at Kidlington and last weekend's disappointing defeat to Aylesbury (I didn't watch the latter, but the result didn't exactly fill me with optimism).

The early stages of the game saw both teams struggle to adapt to a very slick and muddy pitch, with several wayward passes from both sides in the first 5-10 minutes. We soon found ourselves on top, with Dan Cotton causing the Berkhamsted right back all sorts of problems and with Tom Waumsley and Phil Stebbing putting plenty of pressure on the centre backs. As such, it was unsurprising when we took the lead after 20 minutes: the referee opted to play advantage after a tackle in midfield and the ball was then played central to Waumsley who then passed it to Cotton on his left, whose low shot from the edge of the box crept under the Berkhamsted keeper and into the back of the net. We then maintained control for a further five or so minutes, but Berkhamsted steadily started to wake up and force themselves back into proceedings.

However, the home side's equaliser after 28 minutes had little to do with their steady improvement: a long ball was played up the pitch and it should have been a simple header clear from Charley Sanders, but he attempted to kick it clear and ended up scuffing it, with Berkhamsted's Jonathan Lacey capitalising with an overhead kick to level things up. Another Sanders mistake a few minutes later almost saw Berkhamsted take the lead, but Ollie Sutton kept his cool and saved the one-on-one effort. It was at this point that Berkhamsted started to dominate proceedings, putting immense pressure on our goal for the rest of the half: on several occasions, an excellent save from Sutton or an excellent defensive block was required to keep the home side out, and in all honesty we were relieved to go in at half-time with the scores still level.

The second half initially started with some more strong pressure from Berkhamsted, but the half-time break seemed to have taken some wind out of their sails, which allowed us to steadily grow back into the game. This initially saw us reduce the number of chances the home side were creating, but it wasn't long before we started pushing forward again ourselves. Chances came and went for both sides, but much of the second half was a tense impasse between the two sides, and as the game entered the final fifteen minutes it looked as if this would remain the case. However, a quick attacking move from us changed things entirely: a long ball was played from midfield and found its way to Waumsley (after initially being blocked by a defender), who then passed it on to Cotton who shot from just inside the box, the keeper parrying the shot into Stebbing's path for an easy tap-in.

After this, we made a couple of substitutions and tactical changes (Stebbing off for Hook and Butterworth off for Eagleton, with Watson moving into defence and Sanders moving up front) as we attempted to see the game out. While there were a few scares here and there in the final ten minutes (Berkhamsted always looked threatening from set-pieces and had a few of these to work with in the final ten), we fairly comfortably held out and actually looked slightly more dangerous in the final third, the combination of Sanders and Waumsley causing serious problems for the home defence.

Overall, this was a solid performance from us against a very strong and organised promotion-chasing side in Berkhamsted, and for once we came away with the points that our performance merited. It wasn't at all easy though and it was a little smash-and-grab, but at the end of the day the important thing is that the whole team applied themselves very well and maintained their composure throughout; if we can continue to do that in the upcoming home games we will be in a much better place in the table going into 2019.

I quite liked the ground, but I do have to admit that it's showing its age in places, not to mention that it is rather cramped in a lot of places. Being so close to the station does make it incredibly convenient, though.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog:

First Team Regular

Dec 8, 2018, 9:27 PM

Posts: 1197

Post #18 of 67 (15406 views)
Re: [Dr Love] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or

Wren Rovers P-P Burscough Richmond...2pm West Lancs Prem
The game was on when we left home 10 miles away but having parked up noticed a distinct lack of movement around the ground and Twitter confirmed the game had been called off.

Not too bothered, it opened a window of opportunity to nip to the garage and have a couple of tyres changed (fed up of aquaplaning on the M74) before the 3pm kick off on the ground next door.

Squires Gate 6-2 Ashton Athletic...3pm NWCL Premier Adm £6...Prog £2...Cuppa £1

Despite a heavy down pour before the game, the brightening sky's out to the west gave us hope. The game kicked off and within 5 minutes Squires were 2-0 up. Ashton then had a purple patch where they were in the ascendency and wasted a few good chances to reduce the deficit. On the half hour Ryan Charnley added a third to give decent separation between the sides.

Just before the break Ashton pulled a goal back to give them hope.

The sky's rapidly darkened at the break as the rain moved in, heading East on it's way to take out the Accrington v Sunderland game. Any hope of a comeback by Ashton was dashed as Squires added a couple more on 53 and 58 minutes. The 58 minute goal was a well placed header past his own keeper by the Ashton No2 who seemed to place it to the keepers left. As Ashton warmed up a sub to make a of the coaches stood by the dug out said he'd scrub round the substitution and leave them out there to suffer....clearly not impressed with his side.
Ashton made it 5-2 on 86 minutes but Squires had the final say. The Ashton defender dived low to head it back to his keeper but made a mess of things and the Squires No16 said thank you very much and slotted it past the advancing keeper..calamatous defending. The handbags came out in the final minute as tempers flared,but they werent swung to wildly. Handshakes at the end and the Squires Gate players left the field to enjoy their Crimbo night out on the town. A decent game, Ashton werent that bad a side to be fair but let themselves down at vital moments.

Does seem odd the number of times Wrens cancel when wet and Squires play and vice versa...maybe the neighbours flick the switch on the drainage trench. Decent afternoon and good to see the Football Card won by fellow Hopper John, from Fleetwood.

Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2018, 9:54 PM

Posts: 4114
Location: Prestwich
Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #19 of 67 (15220 views)
Re: [codofthenorth] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Humber Premier League, Premier Division
Beverley Town 4 Pocklington Town 3 (att 38 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

Work Christmas do on Friday night, and with other work-related social nights out on Wednesday and Thursday I had little time to plan where to go today. With the weather creating more uncertainty I decided to head east, with Hull always handy for 3G back ups.

The grass pitch at Beverley was in perfect condition though. As Andy D reported last month Beverley Town have now returned to Norwood Recreation Ground following extensive drainage work. It's a nice ground, with the touchlines enclosed by combinations of the railings and rope and an enclosed feel, despite the football facility being part of large sports ground.

The game was 3rd versus 1st and didn't disappoint. Beverley scored first but a great strike from distance levelled the score. Then the home side netted twice in as many minutes just before half time. Pocklington upped their game after the break but couldn't reduce the deficit and eventually conceded a fourth.

They set up a decent finish when they made it 4-2 with 10 minutes left, but despite lots of pressure it took until stoppage time before they reduced the arrears to 4-3. After that there were just seconds left to play.

More on my blog

Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 8, 2018, 10:14 PM

Posts: 4885
Location: The Premier League town of Bournemouth
Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #20 of 67 (15107 views)
Re: [codofthenorth] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1230 - Premier League
AFC Bournemouth 0-4 Liverpool
Attendance 10,752
Admission by season ticket - Programme £3.50

Cherries suffer their second successive 0-4 home reverse to Liverpool, second loss by the same scoreline this season after Burnley away in September and I make it 9th 4 goal loss since being in Premier League (two 1-5's, seven 0-4's), eight of those coming at the hands of the same three opponents (Manchester City four times, Tottenham and Liverpool twice each. Only the one goal in the first half which should have been disallowed for offside scored by Mo Salah who went on to claim a hat trick, the other an own goal by Steve Cook. At least Cherries managed to avoid a top flight record 0-5 loss, not that I stayed to watch our defence concede any further goals in the last 10 minutes, decided I had more options if I left early and instead of the planned New Forest derby between Brockenhurst and Bashley headed to the Ray Mac for:

1500 - Southern League Premier Division South
Salisbury 4-3 Wimborne Town
Attendance 622
Admission £11 - Programme £2

Game was 8 minutes old when I arrived but hadn't missed anything and still plenty of programmes left. Hosts in control with two first half goals and the game seemed over quicker than at Dean Court when the Whites added two more in the first five minutes of the second half but, unlike Cherries earlier, Wimborne showed plenty of spirit and pulled a goal back midway through the half through Luke Burbidge, followed soon after by another from Toby Holmes, then in the 90th minute James Stokoe made it 4-3 and the noisy visiting contingent were dreaming of an improbable comeback especially with 4 minutes to be added on but it wasn't to be and Salisbury fans' nerves held out.

Couldn't get a cup of tea at half time as I would have to wait ages for the water to boil so headed up to the bar for a J20 where I had an interesting conversation with a locally based Newcastle United season ticket holder who flies from Bristol to every home game.

Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 8, 2018, 10:26 PM

Posts: 11894
Location: Ayrshire, Midlothian
Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #21 of 67 (15016 views)
Re: [codofthenorth] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland League - Conference A
Peebles Rovers 2-2 Oakley United
Whitestone Park, Peebles
Admission £5/£3
Attendance 35
Programme £1 full colour, glossy 8pp
Pie and Bovril £3

With the missus having first dibs on the car, it was the bus or putting up pictures on the redecorated walls. A no brainer.

It’s just a 35 minute bus trip on the X62 over the moors and around the hills from our eastern abode to the douce market town of Peebles. And then a 5 minute walk to the ground.

Whitestone Park is set amongst a large expanse of sporting facilities on Walkershaugh, on the north bank of the Tweed. It’s close to Peebles rugby ground and adjoins the ground of Peebles County Cricket Club. Behind the far goal are three amateur pitches and the changing rooms of Tweeddale Rovers, who play in the Borders Amateur League. Their Colts side, in the bottom division were getting a 9-0 drubbing from Ancrum.

There is also the Gyte Leisure Centre which contains the changing rooms of Peebles Rovers and the rugby club. It’s a good 150 yards walk to the pitch, passing midway the Rovers’ committee rooms and pie hut.

As others have noted, the ground is totally unenclosed which is highly unusual for this level of football. I had to make an effort to find someone who would accept my admission money! There is a wooden barrier on two sides of the pitch and a plastic rail on the other two sides. The plastic rail obviously comes down in the cricket season since some of the pitch becomes the cricket outfield.

But, of course, the stand is the gem. This must have gone up when the club moved here in the 30s (before then, including their short Scottish League sojourn, they played at Victoria Park). There are 5 rows of deep solid wooden benches, and the stand has glass sides and a corrugated metsl roof and facings. I would reckon the capacity is around 250.

In the cold and wet, the sparse crowd gathered in here. The view beyond the pitch and Walkershaugh is good. A line of worthy Victorian villas and behind them the massive Peebles Hydro, where the Victorians took to the waters. And behind all this afforested hills including Glentress, which make Peebles and district a mecca for mountain bikers.

In a league of multiple one-sided matches I thought this would be a pretty even encounter. Neither club is going to be anywhere near the places which will qualify them for next season’s tier 6 division, but unlike some EoS clubs, they aren’t total mince either.

Peebles certainly had the better of the first half, scoring in the second minutes and going further ahead in the 40th from the penalty spot. Oakley’s left back got an earful from the bench for giving away the penalty.

“What the **** did you think you were doing, going in with your foot like that?”
“I didn’t tackle him with my foot”
“What the **** did you tackle him with then?”

Fortunately for Oakley they pulled a goal back with the final touch of the first half.

Oakley dominated the second half, but the host’s defence lived a charmed life - there were goal line clearances and blocks galore. But Oakley managed to break them down just once in the 75th minute and the draw was a fair reflection of the 90 minutes.

It was certainly a dreich afternoon in the Borders but it was an entertaining enough game.

I’m glad I was wearing my thermal vest, woollen jumper, fleece, padded gilet, waterproof jacket, scarf, woolly hat and gloves, though.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Dec 8, 2018, 10:29 PM)

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 10:54 PM

Posts: 2398

Post #22 of 67 (14855 views)
Re: [hotchkiss] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
BEERSCHOT WIJIK (3) 5 TUBIZE (0) 2 Belgium 'B'' Division.Admission 20 euros.No programme.Att: probably about 6,000. .

The home team are called WILRIJK not Wijik.

England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-5-8-21-173-303-254

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 10:56 PM

Posts: 2839
Location: South Hampshire
Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #23 of 67 (14838 views)
Re: [PaulC] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League Division 1

Headley U. 8 AFC Petersfield 1

admission/programme none, attendance 9 (4 pitchside plus 5 on the clubhouse balcony)
5th/8 v 8th/8
Five goals in 19 mins in the second ensured a big win for Headley after their 2-11 defeat at Bush Hill last week. It was a 'Brown' day for AFCP, despite playing well at times. In the very first minute M.Brown had a shot saved for the home team, a quick reply by Neat coming as he blasted well over. S.Brown, who was limping for most of the match, despite scoring four goals, then missed an easy chance, and M.Brown has a shot cleared off the line. From the resultant corner, S.Brown jumped highest to head Headley into the lead. Both Browns had further chances, but the visitors started to come back into it, and Neat had a shot saved and also had a shout for a penalty as he appeared to be felled by a late onrushing keeper. But on 34 mins M.Brown was allowed to cut in from the left and find the corner to extend the homesters' lead. On 40 mins we were distracted by a 22-man (well, youth) barney after a bad foul in the match on the neighbouring pitch. The visitors weren't distracted as they reduced the deficit when Newby's shot was saved but full-back Caplen was lurking to net the rebound. AFCP had hope, but they allowed S.Brown to head home another corner to make it HT 3-1.
After the break Headley got to work - after a shot was saved, S.Brown got his hat-trick of headers from corners on 49 mins. M.Brown then ran clear but his chip over the keeper hit the top of the bar. On 57 mins S.Brown got his fourth, a header, but not from a corner this time, a minute later a good move saw the ball laid back to Blackman, who made it six, and two minutes later it was seven, as M.Brown was able to hold the ball in the area for what seemed like an eternity before he set up Faithfull to roll the ball into the corner. A couple more chances before Worman was fouled in the box and M.Brown dispatched the penalty. S.Brown then missed a header from a corner but that was it from0 the home team, who allowed the visitors to dominate the final 15 mins, and they could have had a couple of goals.We started ten mins late as the ref didn't turn up and a Headley player took over duties in the first half - no problems, everyone realised the situation and were happy to play. The ref from the match on the other pitch already mentioned (which started early) took over for the second half, and the players were certainly less patient with him.
First visit to Headley Playing Fields - nice setup. Reasonable size car park, quite a big clubhouse with balcony, bar and snack bar. There were two pitches, the one we used was furthest from the road, it was railed with dugouts on the far side, with a line of trees behind them. Also a friendly welcome.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Dec 8, 2018, 10:57 PM)

Youth Team Regular

Dec 8, 2018, 11:35 PM

Posts: 203
Team(s): Tottenham, Cambridge City

Post #24 of 67 (14632 views)
Re: [HantsLondoner] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier
Kirkley & Pakefield 1 Histon 1 (abandoned after 60 mins)
Admission £4 (concession) Attendance c120 (h/c)

This game came to an unfortunate conclusion when the Kirkley #11 went up to head the ball, tumbled over one of the Histon centre backs and landed awkwardly. Initially it looked like nothing out of the ordinary but it soon became clear that he had hurt his neck. The Histon physio was called over to assist and did a sterling job but she was understandably unwilling to try to move the player and so an ambulance was called. It took thirty minutes before a car borne paramedic arrived and, when it became clear that the paramedic could only transfer the player to hospital by ambulance (which still had not turned up), the referee abandoned the game. Fortunately the news from hospital this evening is that a CT scan was clear so hopefully the player will recover soon.

The previous hour had not been of the highest quality despite the match pitching the sixth place hosts against table toppers Histon. Both teams relied on the long ball with midfielders little involved. Histon hit the bar early on but it was Kirkley who went in front on the half hour with a cool finish from the edge of the box. Histon started the second half in a more determined manner and soon drew level with a close range strike. They were looking the more likely winners when the injury brought play to an end.

Kirkley's ground has an interesting hotch potch of structures providing covered seating and standing, as well as a newish dressing room block, and large clubhouse which featured the most efficiently run tea bar I've visited all season. Its a couple of miles walk from Lowestoft station although there are a number of buses routes available if preferred.

First Team Star

Dec 8, 2018, 11:43 PM

Posts: 2569
Location: North of the Aire
Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #25 of 67 (14609 views)
Re: [HantsLondoner] Sat. 8th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stayed local today intending to watch Hunslet Club, but that was off, so up to Beeston for:-

West Yorkshire Premier.

Beeston St Anthony v Whitkirk Wanderes 5-0.

It was 2-0 at half time with goals on 23' and a penalty on 44'. We had some heavy rain in the second half, but the game continued with BSA adding another three.

No changes to theground and a good job I had the brolly.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3