Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Athenian League 1914-1915

richardbajor
Junior Team Sub

Dec 7, 2018, 12:43 PM

Post #1 of 8 (863 views)
Shortcut
Athenian League 1914-1915 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just wondering if anyone has got any stats on the wartime Athenian league for 1914-1915- especially a "final" table when the league was suspended at the end of September. This which might allow me to work out what matches were played prior to the league being cancelled. Any results also welcome but the table would mean I have a fair chance of getting them all anyway by newspaper searches.

krffji
Youth Team Regular

Dec 7, 2018, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #2 of 8 (856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richardbajor] Athenian League 1914-1915 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure there would have been a table published given how quickly it stopped. Chelmsford for example played one game losing 1-0 at Summerstown then scratched to Finchley before the abandonment.

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor since 2001.
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor since 2008.

richardbajor
Junior Team Sub

Dec 7, 2018, 2:02 PM

Post #3 of 8 (830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krffji] Athenian League 1914-1915 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks- this is just me being severely anal retentive but is helpful to know to only look out for one Chelmsford game.

Old Kingstonians played two games and would have played more as they kept going until December.

ChrisHFC
Junior Team Sub

Dec 7, 2018, 4:19 PM

Team(s): Hendon

Post #4 of 8 (792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richardbajor] Athenian League 1914-1915 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to my records Hampstead Town drew 2-2 at Barnet & Alston on 12th September 1914, and drew 1-1 at Summerstown on 19th September 1914, both in the Athenian League. The rest of Hampstead Town's 1914-15 season consisted of cup matches and friendlies.
I don't have Mike Wilson's Athenian League volume 1 to hand - having loaned it out and not yet received it back - but from memory it just showed "Competition suspended due to the war" (or words to that effect) for season 1914-15, and it also listed the 12 clubs in membership, namely Barnet & Alston, Catford Southend, Chelmsford, Enfield, Finchley, Hampstead Town, Luton Clarence, Metrogas, Old Kingstonians, Summerstown, Tooting Town, and Tufnell Park.
Hope this is of use.

Chris Rogers
Hendon FC - unofficial historian

richardbajor
Junior Team Sub

Dec 7, 2018, 6:29 PM

Post #5 of 8 (756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisHFC] Athenian League 1914-1915 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks- that will be of help. I've been working on World War One for the K's archives, although I suspect any results grid for Athenian League that season might have to be on the backburner for a while.

I assume it is you who is involved in the Hendon archives- well done on that and reminds me I need to add a link on my site!

EFC
Youth Team Sub

Dec 10, 2018, 1:37 PM

Post #6 of 8 (516 views)
Shortcut

Enfield played just the one match, on September 12th beating Old Kingstonians 2-1 at home.

tandmwfc
Junior Team Regular

Dec 12, 2018, 7:20 AM

Post #7 of 8 (386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EFC] Athenian League 1914-1915 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tooting FC played one game.

At home to Luton Clarence which ended 2-2

The game took place at Tooting's then new ground at Caithness Road

Not sure of the date of the game

tandmwfc
Junior Team Regular

Dec 12, 2018, 7:23 AM

Post #8 of 8 (385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChrisHFC] Athenian League 1914-1915 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just to clarify

The Tooting team was Tooting FC NOT Tooting Town FC

After WW1 Tooting were re-formed as Tooting Town FC but reverted back to Tooting FC many years later.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3