Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 13, 2018, 5:57 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 28 (8022 views)
Shortcut
Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Everyone's favourite competition is back!

The 48 EFL clubs have already each been allocated a place in one of 16 groups, to be joined by an EFL underage team which will be determined by a draw on July 18. Full details here: https://www.efl.com/...ne-draw-information/

No major changes to the competition but interesting to note that, after consultation with police, Southampton won't be drawn in the same group as Portsmouth and Newcastle's kids won't be in with Sunderland.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 13, 2018, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #2 of 28 (7937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Everyone's favourite competition is back!

No major changes to the competition but interesting to note that, after consultation with police, Southampton won't be drawn in the same group as Portsmouth and Newcastle's kids won't be in with Sunderland.

Does "consultation with police" mean that the police have put their concerns forward, or just that this gives the EFL a useful excuse to 'massage' the draw? What'll they do if the semi-finals turn out to be Pompey v Saints and Sunderland v Newcastle? If they're going to make the draw based upon the advise of outside agencies, why not get the TV companies involved too and ask them which sides they'd like to see play each other? (I'm being facetious with that last one).

Swindon and Oxford United have played each other before in the Checkatrade, giving it some much needed passion and competitive edge, along with a decent crowd (though still well below what you'd expect). But of course neither of them were Underage sides. I'm obviously bias, but maybe Southampton and Newcastle would be terrified of the idea of their youngsters being thrown to a baying crowd at a local derby - it'd lessen their chances of winning the thing (though I expect the fans of all four clubs will find this annoying). How long before this little idea is tossed into the FA Cup, too?

(This post was edited by oxpete on Jul 13, 2018, 10:05 PM)

paulh66

Jul 13, 2018, 11:35 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 28 (7887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good points. My first thought was that a Sunderland defeat to Newcastle's kids would be more than enough to fuel the local rivalry for years to come!

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 14, 2018, 8:11 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #4 of 28 (7824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That lowers the credibility of the competition even more. As others have said, what happens if they progress to the latter stages and are forced to meet?
I am sure the Police could handle it just as they do when these clubs play league or FA Cup ties.

I also thought the idea of U23 / reserve / development teams was to give the youngsters a taste of first team type competitive environments....surely such a game would attract a more partisan crowd and bigger crowd thus providing some ‘Bigger game’ type experience?

kirby knitters

Jul 16, 2018, 8:42 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 28 (7613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wonder if the followers of clubs in the 92 who keep records of the grounds visited with their clubs count visits in this trophy.Sly

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Jul 16, 2018, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #6 of 28 (7504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wonder if the followers of clubs in the 92 who keep records of the grounds visited with their clubs count visits in this trophy.Sly

I counted Cheltenham when visiting with Bolton.

kirby knitters

Jul 16, 2018, 2:09 PM

Post #7 of 28 (7498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

No problem with that but would you count say Leicester when facing an U23 side? (well aware you have probably visited on league business))

buncranaboy

Jul 16, 2018, 2:29 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 28 (7487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are some on here who will count a pub kick about on a league ground if it saves a few quid!

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 16, 2018, 3:37 PM

Post #9 of 28 (7458 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
No problem with that but would you count say Leicester when facing an U23 side? (well aware you have probably visited on league business))

I thought all the games (group games at least) were on the EFL clubs' grounds

dottirofhod

Jul 16, 2018, 4:25 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #10 of 28 (7436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They are.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 136/ 112 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 10 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Jul 16, 2018, 4:34 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #11 of 28 (7433 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In that scenario I doubt I'd have attended but no I wouldn't have counted it on the basis of not playing against their first team (and yes I have been there on league business, missing the first half hour thanks to a combination of extended boozing and heavy traffic, and yes I'm still counting it! Cool)

dottirofhod

Jul 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Post #12 of 28 (7427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And those who kick about in a pub instead of going the game like the poster above.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 136/ 112 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 10 x 0-0's)

Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

paulh66

Jul 18, 2018, 11:35 PM

Post #13 of 28 (7080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The prize money in this competition isn't to be sniffed at, and I was surprised how favourably it compares to the money on offer in the League Cup. These are the figures for 2017/18:

Participation fee: £20k
Group Stage: £10k for a win and £5k for a draw
Round two: £20k for a win
Round three: £40k for a win
Quarter-final: £50k for a win
Runner-up: £50k
Winner: £100k

By comparison, the League Cup only paid prize money to the last four teams left in the competition:

Losing semi-finalists: £25k each
Losing finalist: £50k
Winner: £100k

Obviously TV revenues and gate receipts are a bigger factor in the League Cup but a decent run in the Checkatrade can be a very handsome earner for a lower division club.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 19, 2018, 12:09 AM

Post #14 of 28 (7065 views)
Shortcut

The reason for the prize money being so generous is probably to discourage clubs from fielding understrength sides. (although obviously that doesn't apply to the Premier League clubs who have entered their U-23 sides in the competition.)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 19, 2018, 12:10 AM

Post #15 of 28 (7063 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The prize money in this competition isn't to be sniffed at, and I was surprised how favourably it compares to the money on offer in the League Cup. These are the figures for 2017/18:

Participation fee: £20k
Group Stage: £10k for a win and £5k for a draw.

This makes quite amazing reading. Two years ago, both Pompey and Luton Town picked up fines of £15,000 each for fielding weakened teams in their three group stage matches. Yet on this reckoning clubs can STILL make a profit!

In Pompey’s win over Bristol Rovers, the Gas were also fined £3,000 when they subbed their first-choice goalkeeper after just three minutes. This made a combined fine of £8,000 on the night, or £6.67 per paying customer (on an attendance of 1200, the lowest post-War crowd at Fratton Park for a competitive Pompey match).

Looks like you can make money out of this cup without even trying!

Ropemaker

Jul 19, 2018, 3:23 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #16 of 28 (6927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Full draw

https://www.efl.com/...up-stages-confirmed/

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

FulhamDave
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2018, 11:59 AM

Team(s): Fulham, Staines Town

Post #17 of 28 (6664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We have Oxford away in our group this year (and had Crawley last season). I would not count these games in grounds visited as only count first team competitive matches.

Whilst have been to the respective venues for other competitive matches will not count them as "seen Fulham play at" until League / League Cup / FA Cup / European Wink match

paulh66

Jul 30, 2018, 11:45 AM

Post #18 of 28 (6195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FulhamDave] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nearly two weeks since the draw and still we await the fixtures. This competition doesn't really help itself..

dottirofhod

Jul 30, 2018, 4:47 PM

Post #19 of 28 (6120 views)
Shortcut

Hope we have Shrewsbury at home not you, I will once again not be going against the U21/U23/Academy side, delete as appropriate.

Crewe v Man City will not have me attending.

Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

paulh66

Jul 30, 2018, 7:30 PM

Post #20 of 28 (6068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After some of the 'football' we've witnessed from certain visiting teams over the last three years, a home match with City's academy has its appeal. Might well try to venture up for that, though if it had been an U23 side other than City or Everton I wouldn't be bothered.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 5, 2018, 8:54 PM

Post #21 of 28 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Lots of stupidity from a section of the away support at last night's Port Vale v. Stoke City U21 fixture in the Checkatrade Trophy...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...affordshire-46451794

...with eleven Stoke fans arrested (including a 61-year-old, for crying out loud!), toilets at Vale Park smashed up, attempted arson, vandalism to cars and property in the Burslem neighbourhood, smoke bombs thrown inside the ground, and 150 police (some in riot gear) deployed in Staffordshire Constabulary's biggest footballing operation in ten years. Stoke fans made up half of the near-8000 attendance.

At the opening group-stage draw for this year's EFL Trophy, the likes of Pompey and Southampton and Newcastle and Sunderland were deliberately kept apart on police advice in order to avoid such incidents as this happening, but last night was the knock-out rounds so I'm not sure what could have been done. Oxford and Swindon have played eachother in the Checkatrade group-stage previously with the necessary large police presence and fortunately no major issues, but you have to wonder if something like last night's events will lead to further and stronger police advice next season when the EFL Trophy draw takes place.

The one piece of good news is that Port Vale won 4-0.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Dec 5, 2018, 11:21 PM)

kirby knitters

Dec 6, 2018, 7:26 AM

Post #22 of 28 (1564 views)
Shortcut

And to think Vale chief Norman Smurthwaite (where have I heard that name beforeSly) was intending to give Stoke fans another stand but changed his mind after protests from Vale fans.

BDA_85
Youth Team Star

Dec 7, 2018, 12:32 PM

Post #23 of 28 (1168 views)
Shortcut

stronger police advice next season when the EFL Trophy draw takes place.

Does this competition have a future? If so, it needs serious revisions.

Steelback
First Team Star

Dec 7, 2018, 2:15 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #24 of 28 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
stronger police advice next season when the EFL Trophy draw takes place.

Does this competition have a future? If so, it needs serious revisions

it could easily have happened in the FA or League Cup though. Nonsensical decision by Port Vale not to open the home end behind the goal but allow fans in the corner of the stand right next to the away fans?!?!?

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

BDA_85
Youth Team Star

Dec 7, 2018, 4:09 PM

Post #25 of 28 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Checkatrade Trophy 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agreed. But no matter what stand they did or didn't open, jumping up and down on someone's car is inexcusable (plus some of the other shennanigans that have reported/videoed).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3