Home: Administration: Messages from / Questions to Administrators:
Compulsory Cookies

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Dec 2, 2018, 12:34 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3996 views)
Shortcut
Compulsory Cookies Can't Post or Reply Privately

Three times in signing in tonight I have had to accept cookies I do not want. Why is it compulsory to have to have these things? I refuse to read these so-called "adverts" and as a matter of principle would never buy the goods or services they promote.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Dec 2, 2018, 10:06 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #2 of 16 (3779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So you're happy to use the website for free... and refuse to even see adverts?

Most cookies are not used for malicious purposes. They allow you to be auto-logged in when revisiting, and on some forums, allow you to only see posts that are unread to you.

Why don't you just set your browser to delete all cookies when you close it?

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Dec 2, 2018, 11:31 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #3 of 16 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When signing in i just tick the 'don't use cookies' box, simples!

steve walker
Administrator

Dec 2, 2018, 12:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 16 (3672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You don't like cookies or you don't like adverts?
Cookies get a bad press but they're actually quite useful and they're not compulsory. Adverts are necessary for site funding as..... (cont on p94)

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Dec 2, 2018, 4:15 PM

Post #5 of 16 (3550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you, Steve. I meant no offence to the work you do, it's just that I am continually bombarded with flashing adverts which affect my eyes.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 2, 2018, 6:16 PM

Post #6 of 16 (3452 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you, Steve. I meant no offence to the work you do, it's just that I am continually bombarded with flashing adverts which affect my eyes.

... which are probably unconeccted with the cookies this site uses.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 2, 2018, 10:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 16 (3250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The new adverts at the foot of the page are very inconvenient.
They prevent clicking on the subsequent page if you do not delete them. Similarly you cannot amend a message without deleting them. If you "report" them you still get a black cross to the right side which still has to be deleted before you can progress.

steve walker
Administrator

Dec 3, 2018, 10:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 16 (2871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On what platform are you seeing this? On a laptop that ad space doesn't interfere with the site in any way.
Thanks

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 3, 2018, 5:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 16 (2589 views)
Shortcut

It is on my PC Steve

Hitchin-John
First Team Sub

Dec 3, 2018, 6:29 PM

Team(s): Hitchin Town

Post #10 of 16 (2543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It is on my PC Steve

Agree when the 'Save' button to you input is alongside the advert.

However, delete the advert, or raise the in the input screen.

No problem.

steve walker
Administrator

Dec 3, 2018, 7:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 16 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hitchin-John] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Where do you see a 'Save' button?
If I can get better information such as which pages there are problems with I can probably add some white space to the bottom. Trouble is I can't seem to replicate what you are seeing and I don't know where to look.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 3, 2018, 9:03 PM

Team(s): Hendon, Portsmouth

Post #12 of 16 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Steve, please see attachment in which I've put an example of an advert that sometimes appears at the bottom of the screen. The content varies, but it remains in position at the bottom of the screen regardless of scrolling up or down.

As you can see its over the top of a Pizza Hut advert which is in your "white space" at the bottom of the page.

*Edited to add*
Second example attached.

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust

(This post was edited by Steve_HFC on Dec 3, 2018, 9:06 PM)
Attachments: Advert Example.docx (212 KB)
  Advert Example 2.docx (213 KB)

steve walker
Administrator

Dec 4, 2018, 12:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 16 (2318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Compulsory Cookies [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes thanks for the screenshots Steve that is is the info I need.
It's called a 'floor ad' apparently. It stays on the floor of your screen. In the first screenshot it is not interfering with any forum functions, in the the second your scrollbar is halfway up, if you scroll down it won't interfere either.
Look I am not here to tell you adverts are wonderful and will improve your site experience but I think the ads that are running on this site are really not that intrusive and more importantly they pay for the site. Have a look at some local newspaper sites to see what intrusive advertising looks like and they have teams of people.

I'm just one guy with no team apart from Leo and a lot of really dedicated volunteers on the main site keeping the results and fixtures up to date. They are the ones that deserve the plaudits as they do all the work.

derekn
First Team Star

Dec 4, 2018, 9:43 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #14 of 16 (2113 views)
Shortcut

What I have done as a 'league admin' is to run that on Firefox with an ad-blocker, and use the forum on Chrome without.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 5, 2018, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Hendon, Portsmouth

Post #15 of 16 (1519 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes thanks for the screenshots Steve that is is the info I need.
It's called a 'floor ad' apparently. It stays on the floor of your screen. In the first screenshot it is not interfering with any forum functions, in the the second your scrollbar is halfway up, if you scroll down it won't interfere either.
Look I am not here to tell you adverts are wonderful and will improve your site experience but I think the ads that are running on this site are really not that intrusive and more importantly they pay for the site. Have a look at some local newspaper sites to see what intrusive advertising looks like and they have teams of people.

I'm just one guy with no team apart from Leo and a lot of really dedicated volunteers on the main site keeping the results and fixtures up to date. They are the ones that deserve the plaudits as they do all the work.

Steve - thanks for the response. All makes sense. I wasn't sure whether the, what I now know to be, floor ads were supposed to be there or not. Definitely far less annoying than local newspaper sites - I don't bother with them generally these days.

Completely get that the ads pay the bills, and am pleased you were able to find a solution that works.

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Dec 6, 2018, 3:33 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #16 of 16 (1247 views)
Shortcut

I cannot enter the site if I accept cookies. PC/Chrome.

Professional cretin.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3